• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train Reservations in March

frannie z

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: 2022,2023
I may be confused - as usual. Did I read somewhere that Spainards can ride trains for free? Do you think for March 19th. I'll need to book my train from Madrid to Leon ahead of time.... or will I be safe to wait until day of -- go to train station and do it then. Same question for train from Santiago to Madrid for March 28th? Please/Thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you check schedules, something soon versus those on your departure dates, I think that you’ll find better prices buying them in advance. Sometimes, there is a significant price difference. With the special available to Spaniards, I would expect trains to be busier. When possible, I always buy in advance. If you definitely want to travel on those dates, I’d purchase them in advance.

There are a lot of caveats to the “free travel”. It’s been discussed elsewhere if you do a search on this forum. In short, it’s geared towards commuters on short to mid-range trips and only free after you complete 16 trips to get your deposit back.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Price can also depend upon your age.
If you are over 60, you can purchase a tarjeta dorada for some really good discounts.
Also, regarding purchasing train tickets, I always just get them in Spain and find the prices quite a bit less than purchasing online. Here is a link about the tarjeta dorada:

I may be confused - as usual. Did I read somewhere that Spainards can ride trains for free? Do you think for March 19th. I'll need to book my train from Madrid to Leon ahead of time.... or will I be safe to wait until day of -- go to train station and do it then. Same question for train from Santiago to Madrid for March 28th? Please/Thank you.
Advance purchase tickets are cheaper than walk-ups. Many trains (other than local commuter trains) often sell-out. Given the quality of the infrastructure on Spanish railways it’s surprising how few trains they actually run.

I don't think so, unless maybe they have some concessions for the disabled or something. If you are sure of the date, I would book in advance, since I think the fast trains are all based on allocated seats. You can book on the Renfe site and there is an English option I think. If you want to allow some flexibility, I think you may be able to pay a bit more for a ticket that allows you to make changes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So here's my 2 euros worth on the train subject. I am planning my March Camino Portuguese walk and plan to take a train from Lisboa to Porto my nights stay in Lisboa is near the train station, so I plan to buy my ticket on line or at the staton night before I leave for Porto. I am a senior but to get the discount you must buy a Tajeta Dorado which identifies you. it has various prices depending on length , but inexpensive. The catch is does that apply to extranjeros? Some countries only give such discounts to their nationals. As for free that applies to local routes and again maybe only nationals
Plan to do the same for my return from Santiago to Madrid
PS the Dorado card can be bought at train stations if you are allowed the discount

If you check schedules, something soon versus those on your departure dates, I think that you’ll find better prices buying them in advance. Sometimes, there is a significant price difference. With the special available to Spaniards, I would expect trains to be busier. When possible, I always buy in advance. If you definitely want to travel on those dates, I’d purchase them in advance.
I too like to buy in advance but sometimes it seems difficult if you need to change the travel times e.g. plane late.
Also AVE, Intercity trains etc can be booked well in advance but seems the local leg for an MD train only becomes available a short time before departure. For example I can't book a MD train from Granada to Almeria yet for 1 April.
Mick

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...