• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train status for May, next week?

djulyca

Time of past OR future Camino
May, 2018
Hey guys :)

I'm very new to the forum but not the Camino idea.

I am starting my own next week - by arriving to Biarritz at 21:00. I understand it won't be possible to get myself to SJPDP that very night so I will rest in town, planning on leaving the following morning.
Now, I understand the best (only?) option is going to Bayonne and catching a train from there. Since my French is poor (*non-existent) I don't even know where to start searching for if there are any cancelation with the railway for that time. Care someone to help?

I also looked into that bus transfer from the airport but they are fully booked for that morning.

Þakk fyrir!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
SNCF website look for trains from Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied de Port, there are several hotels near the Bayonne train station, it is sketchy area but general lots of pilgrims in the hotel waiting to get started like you. You will definitely need to book a room in advance arriving at that hour.

Hey there :) Thanks for the reply!

I have already booked my accommodation in Biarritz (didn't want to do any kind of a trip that late at night) and will start my way to SJPDP the following morning.

My question was more concerned with the trains running throughout the day or is there a strike happening at the time or anything similar?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What day is it? The rolling strike is 3 day of service followed by 2 days of strikes until the middle of June, but so far that is not affecting the drivers of the buses that have replaced the train service due to track repairs. There lots of threads on the forum discussing which days you can travel but like I say so far I don't think that has affected the buses operated by SNCF.

Next Thursday (May 10th).

Well, knowing there are substitute bus lines is already a big relief :)
When you say 3 day of service + 2 of strikes - is that in continuity or is it during workdays?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Too late for the OP, I realize that, but it looks like the striking railway workers have their heels dug in firmly. I mentioned this before and mention it again, I recommend avoiding France completely in any plans to walk the Camino. That included starting in Saint Jean. Planning travel can be difficult enough, especially when you have limited time off from work, but to have to deal with politics and other BS along with it, and it just becomes not worth it. Find somewhere else to spend your money. I would recommend just flying in to Madrid, bus to Pamplona or perhaps Roncesvalles and start there. No price for peace of mind knowing you can move from point A to point B without fear of delays or cancellations. Sure, the whole thing may blow over next week, but probably not.
This advice is of course for anyone still in the process of making arrangements.

Next Thursday (May 10th).

Well, knowing there are substitute bus lines is already a big relief :)
When you say 3 day of service + 2 of strikes - is that in continuity or is it during workdays?

djulyca, i am planning the same arriving in Biarritz on the 16th and spending the night there to make my way to SJPDP on the 17th. how did you make out with this? did you end up taking the train/ bus? i'm looking at my options and so far contemplating between booking through sncf or ride share through Express Bourricot.

Hope all is well.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back