• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train Tickets from CDG to SJPP

Eugene Koh

Time of past OR future Camino
20 May 2015
Good day to all

Just wonder if anyone can tell me do I need to book online train tickets from CDG to SJPP in advance as I will be reaching CDG airport on the 19 May 2015 early morning.

I know that there is a train station as CDG airport to SJPP, but can I purchase it on the spot.

I don't have any plan in mind, just in case I can't get the train ticket on the spot, I still can get the next day train ticket n stay in Paris for 1 night.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Regards.

Eugene

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good day to all

Just wonder if anyone can tell me do I need to book online train tickets from CDG to SJPP in advance as I will be reaching CDG airport on the 19 May 2015 early morning.

I know that there is a train station as CDG airport to SJPP, but can I purchase it on the spot.

I don't have any plan in mind, just in case I can't get the train ticket on the spot, I still can get the next day train ticket n stay in Paris for 1 night.

Regards.

Eugene

Hi Eugene,

You can book a ticket online at sncf.fr for the fast train to Bayonne. The train leaving from CDG is quite limited but you can connect to Gare Montparnasse through an Airport Shuttle bus for more options (check out the SNCF website for the schedule). I took the Air France bus shuttle (also booked online) that has Gare Montparnasse as its final stop from CDG.
Depending on the time you arrive at Bayonne, you can either stay for the night, or take the smaller train to SJPdP or maybe share a ride with other pilgrims (?taxi) from the Train station. I stayed in a hotel near the train station and had an easy trip to SJPdP the following day.
I waited until the Pilgrim Office re-opened after the volunteers had their lunch break then started the short walk to Orisson at 2pm. Most pilgrims would stay at SJPdP and start early for the gruelling walk to Roncesvalles the following day.
Good luck with your preparations. !Buen Camino!

Good day to all

Regards.

Eugene

You can purchase tickets at the station prior to boarding.

If the train from CDG is full or if you arrive too late then you can board another train at Paris Montparnasse Station, where service to Bayonne is more frequent, rather than stay in Paris overnight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I got mine online and express mail to me. Morning Trains to Bayonne are 8.20am. 10.15am (may be one around noon) from CDG Paris

Good day to all

Regards.

Eugene
Hi Eugene, I'm also traveling at the end of May, my plains arrives at 0935 at Paris airport, I'm planing to take a taxi ( approximately, 60 Euros) to the train station, my research showed me that there is a train leaving from Montparnasse train station to Bayonne at 12:23 PM.
Buen Camino! :)

Hi Eugene, I'm also traveling at the end of May, my plains arrives at 0935 at Paris airport, I'm planing to take a taxi ( approximately, 60 Euros) to the train station, my research showed me that there is a train leaving from Montparnasse train station to Bayonne at 12:23 PM.
Buen Camino! :)

Hi,
If you want to save a bit of money, take the Air France Shuttle bus which leaves CDG at regular intervals to Gare Montparnasse through Gare de Lyon (17.50 Euros) Check it out on en.lescarsairfrance.com- You can print the ticket from home and hand it to the bus driver when you board.
!Buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
If you want to save a bit of money, take the Air France Shuttle bus which leaves CDG at regular intervals to Gare Montparnasse through Gare de Lyon (17.50 Euros) Check it out on en.lescarsairfrance.com- You can print the ticket from home and hand it to the bus driver when you board.
!Buen camino!
Great Idea, do you know how long the shuttle bus takes to arrive to Montparnasse? Time is of essence.

Great Idea, do you know how long the shuttle bus takes to arrive to Montparnasse? Time is of essence.

Allowing for traffic, you should be in Gare Montparnasse in time for the train to Bayonne if you leave CDG before 1030am. The shuttle takes about an hour to get to the Montparnasse TGV station, on average. But it's better to leave CDG earlier as traffic in Paris can be bad on weekdays. The shuttle leaves every 30 minutes from CDG.

Allowing for traffic, you should be in Gare Montparnasse in time for the train to Bayonne if you leave CDG before 1030am. The shuttle takes about an hour to get to the Montparnasse TGV station, on average. But it's better to leave CDG earlier as traffic in Paris can be bad on weekdays. The shuttle leaves every 30 minutes from CDG.
Since my arrival is approximately at 09:35 I'm concern about the time it takes to go through the customs, and getting my bag.
Do you know if I can buy the ticket on site? Thank you. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

CDG and Orly:
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/

Paris Transit Network
http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php?lang=uk

Paris RER/Metro route planner - SNCF Transilien
http://www.transilien.com/itineraire/rechercheitineraire/init

Air France Shuttle Bus with service from CDG to Orly airport (#3) and to Gare Montparnasse (#4)
http://en.lescarsairfrance.com/

There are two transit options from CDG airport to Gare Montparnasse:

a. RER Line B (destination B2 Robinson or B4 Saint Remy les Chevreuse) from CDG airport to Gare du Nord. Paris Metro Line 4 from Gare du Nord to Metro Station Montparnasse Bienvenue. Allow 1:00 hour. Allow an additional 15 minutes to walk from the Metro station to Gare Montparnasse.

~Note there are 3 points where it is possible to transfer from RER B to Metro line 4. A transfer at St Michel may be preferable as Gare du Nord is a large station and will require orientation time.

b. Air France operates a bus service from CDG direct to Gare Montparnasse. Allow 1:15 hours.

Hi, thanks to all you guys

FYI, I should be reaching Paris CDG airport on the 19th May 630am so I don't think there is a problem getting the 820am train ticket, else will be taking the 1015am train to Bordeaux St and transfer to Bayonne.

Cheers

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Eugene,

You can book a ticket online at sncf.fr for the fast train to Bayonne. The train leaving from CDG is quite limited but you can connect to Gare Montparnasse through an Airport Shuttle bus for more options (check out the SNCF website for the schedule). I took the Air France bus shuttle (also booked online) that has Gare Montparnasse as its final stop from CDG.
Depending on the time you arrive at Bayonne, you can either stay for the night, or take the smaller train to SJPdP or maybe share a ride with other pilgrims (?taxi) from the Train station. I stayed in a hotel near the train station and had an easy trip to SJPdP the following day.
I waited until the Pilgrim Office re-opened after the volunteers had their lunch break then started the short walk to Orisson at 2pm. Most pilgrims would stay at SJPdP and start early for the gruelling walk to Roncesvalles the following day.
Good luck with your preparations. !Buen Camino!

Hi Angelo

You mentioned the smaller train to SJPP, what kind of smaller train is that? Is it still operate under TGV?

Regards.

Eugene

Hi Angelo

You mentioned the smaller train to SJPP, what kind of smaller train is that? Is it still operate under TGV?

Regards.

Eugene

That's the Regional Train which leaves Bayonne station for St. Jean Pied de Port. You can purchase your ticket from Bayonne station when you get there.

Hi Angelo

Regards.

Eugene

TGV service goes from Paris (Montparnasse, CDG 2, and Massy) to Bordeaux. Some TGV trains continue on to Irun/Hendaye. Sometimes a transfer is required to another TGV train at Bordeaux. Sometimes the transfer at Bordeaux is to a slower TER train. Sometimes there is another transfer to a TER train at Dax. The train from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains (and if the tracks are in order, to SJPdP) is a TER train. Currently passengers transfer to a bus (autocar) at Cambo les Bains.

TGV is very fast train service requiring seat reservations. TER trains are slower regional trains that stop at every station and since reservations cannot be made, may involve standing room only. All trains are operated by SNCF.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
CDG and Orly:
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/

Paris Transit Network
http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php?lang=uk

Paris RER/Metro route planner - SNCF Transilien
http://www.transilien.com/itineraire/rechercheitineraire/init

Air France Shuttle Bus with service from CDG to Orly airport (#3) and to Gare Montparnasse (#4)
http://en.lescarsairfrance.com/

There are two transit options from CDG airport to Gare Montparnasse:

a. RER Line B (destination B2 Robinson or B4 Saint Remy les Chevreuse) from CDG airport to Gare du Nord. Paris Metro Line 4 from Gare du Nord to Metro Station Montparnasse Bienvenue. Allow 1:00 hour. Allow an additional 15 minutes to walk from the Metro station to Gare Montparnasse.

~Note there are 3 points where it is possible to transfer from RER B to Metro line 4. A transfer at St Michel may be preferable as Gare du Nord is a large station and will require orientation time.

b. Air France operates a bus service from CDG direct to Gare Montparnasse. Allow 1:15 hours.
I could not get my credit card today, I will try later. Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back