• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train to St Jean Pied de Port - Renfe question

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 -Ponferrada to Santiago
2016 - SJPP to Burgos
2017 - Burgos to Ponferrada
(2019) Ingles
I am helping a friend plan for his first Camino and we are trying to order his train ticket for Bayonne to St Jean on the Renfe site. We are having troubles, Bayonne comes up but St Jean does not. What are we doing wrong???? Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am helping a friend plan for his first Camino and we are trying to order his train ticket for Bayonne to St Jean

Hi, you can't order this ticket in advance. Your friend just goes to the ticket office when he gets there (it's a very small station) and he buys a ticket at the counter. No problem!
Jill

We had a bit of an experience with this train ride. We didn't book ahead (figured it was the first part of the Camino and that we would work it out as we went). After flying in, we took a bus over to the train station only to find that there were no trains running that day. I'm sorry I can't remember what day of the week it was. We were lucky that there was a small group of other pilgrims about wanting to get to St Jean so we took a group taxi down there. It ended up costing a little more but at least we got where we needed to go!

I'm not sure if this reply will be at all helpful, just maybe double check the train running times beforehand if you don't manage to book ahead of time

Buen Camino!

Duh, sorry I forgot you have to go through SCNF site. :)

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We just jumped on the train at SJPP and paid the conductor en route. Cant remember how much, but wasn’t that expensive. That was Nov 2017. We caught the 8.30am train and no ticket window seemed open at SJPP station. No need to worry about pre-paid tickets.

Correction. We jumped on the train at Bayonne on the way to SJPP

I am helping a friend plan for his first Camino and we are trying to order his train ticket for Bayonne to St Jean on the Renfe site. We are having troubles, Bayonne comes up but St Jean does not. What are we doing wrong???? Thanks in advance for the help! :)

The is a new app in the App Store. Oui.sncf bloody great way to get all French rail tickets. Try it. I’ve used it a few times.

From Biarritz airport I bused to Bayonne station in June last to find it was a pubic holiday with reduced train service. In order to avoid a four hour wait I chatted to others in the same predicament. Five of us shared a taxi which dropped us 2/300 yards from the pilgrim office in SJPdP. The total cost was 130 euro, ie 26 euro each. Maybe slightly dearer than the train but we were all delighted.

We had a bit of an experience with this train ride. We didn't book ahead (figured it was the first part of the Camino and that we would work it out as we went). After flying in, we took a bus over to the train station only to find that there were no trains running that day. I'm sorry I can't remember what day of the week it was. We were lucky that there was a small group of other pilgrims about wanting to get to St Jean so we took a group taxi down there. It ended up costing a little more but at least we got where we needed to go!

I'm not sure if this reply will be at all helpful, just maybe double check the train running times beforehand if you don't manage to book ahead of time

Buen Camino!
Train should go everyday. Reduced on Sunday but still pretty good. Can be closed occasionally for maintenance

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
As long as the tracks have washed out the train will run. Of couse on Easter a special Sunday schedule will be used..
See www.Oui.sncf for correct schedules.

Last edited:
We trained from Bayonne to SJPDP. This distance is all in France, so through French rail system. Its a short trip.
If the train is canceled they put on a bus service.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back