• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train travel from Paris to SJPP

svanv

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept. 2017
My husband and are traveling from the US and arrive in Paris early on a Monday in mid April.. Our plan is to take the train to Bayonne, and then travel to SJPP, with our first day on the Camino being Wed. Having never traveled internationally, (very excited about my first time at age 61) I am not familiar with the train systems and find different recommendations regarding the pre- purchasing of tickets, if reservations are needed, and if money is saved by having tickets in hand prior to the start of the trip.
Any help from those of you with experience will be appreciated.

Sandy from Colorado

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can pre-purchase train tickets for Paris-to-Bayonne, look for the SNCF web site, or search the web for SNCF Train Tickets. Reservations for this train are required. I could not find a way to pre-purchase a ticket on the local train from Bayonne to Saint Jean, but it was easy to buy in the train station at Bayonne. (I think the tickets from Bayonne to Saint Jean can be purchased ahead of time, it just may take a little more looking.)

Many if not most of the trains that go south from Paris leave from the Montparnasse station.

In my two Camino Frances walks, I did very much what you are doing - flew into Paris from Los Angeles, took the direct bus (called "Le Bus") from Charles de Gaulle to the Montparnasse train station area where I had booked a hotel for the night, stayed overnight, then in the morning walked over to the Montparnasse station, boarded the train, and was in Bayonne in about three hours. The train is fast (although not as fast as the TGV), and the scenery very pleasant. From Bayonne to Saint Jean was quite beautiful. I found the train a nice way to transition from the long flight and being in Paris to a slower pace. I arrived in Saint Jean a little bit rested and very much ready to get started the next day.

Buen Camino!
--jim--

There is also a train from CDG airport station. I took that one once before. Stops and train changes in Bordeaux and Bayonne.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Walked the camino late 2017 - flew from Australia to Paris then train to Bayonne and SJPP.

Was able to book tickets for both train trips through the Australian mirror of Raileurope.com. Ticket for the paris to Bayonne trip were emailed as a PDF for printing at home; ticket for the Bayonne to SJPP was printed in Melbourne and posted to me in a matter of days. System worked well!

Have seen some advice to the effect that booking online is cheaper than at the station, as well as being advisable in ensuring a seat...

Hi Sandy, I'm flying into Paris on April 22nd and then catching the train to Bayonne and then, hopefully, using the Express Bouricot shuttle to SJPdP. If you wished to do the same, you can book tickets in advance on this website: https://www.trainline.eu. When you do, select the Departure station as "CDG T2", which is located in CDG Airport, and select the Arrival station as Bayonne. You could then book the shuttle on this website: https://www.expressbourricot.com. I think they are currently closed however and will be taking bookings from sometime in March. Alternatively you can catch the train from Bayonne to SJPdP. Flight times etc don't allow me to do that unfortunately.

I hope this helps and an extra big Buen Camino for your first ever international trip! :)

I too will fly from the US, Tampa to Paris arriving on the 17th of April. I have purchased my ticket
on the TGV leaving CDG around 11:30 and arriving in Bayonne at around 16:45. I will then catch the last train to St Jean Pied de Port leaving around 18:30. here is the site for the train be sure to let them know you are a senior as it's less expensive. https:www.oui.sncf

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Sandy,
Well done on planning your Camino adventure. An alternative and very user friendly (partly because English is its first language) way to sort out traintimes and tickets is on Loco2
https://loco2.com/
I don't work for them or anything like that, but I can recommend them, and they are recommended by the British guru of international train travel 'The man in Seat 61'. His website is definitely worth a visit too, if you want to explore all the options of train travel in Europe - including which seat numbers to book for the best view/ most leg room/ best food etc! https://www.seat61.com/
Enjoy your trip to Europe and especially your Camino!

Following this thread as we are flying in to Paris April 28th and need to journey to SJPP. How much time (on average) should one plan for between flight arrival and train departure from CDG station?

I took the TGV from Montparnasse to Bayonne in 2013. You should definitely book, to both ensure a seat and to reduce the cost. I booked on the day of travel (a Saturday) and had to travel 1st class due to unavailability of cheaper seats. Quite expensive.

The other point I would make is that the last train up to SJPdP from Bayonne leaves early evening, so if you arrive too late you will have to overnight in Bayonne.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Didn't see this mentioned....

If the train is not running (maintenance, tunnel work, etc) from Bayonne to SJPP, there will be a bus making the run. To catch it go out the front train station in Bayonne. Turn left. Bus will be in the parking lot. There will be other buses there too. So make sure you have right bus.

Paid driver.

Bayonne is a nice city. Love it. Why not spend a night there? catch early bus/train to SJPP? SJPP is also nice town.

Twice I have spent the night in Bayonne. Stayed at Hotel Basque. Across the street from train station. Not a bad place. Has breakfast. Easy walk from/to train station.

For those of your biking, tenting, camping.... SJPP has a nice City Campground. TI office has directions. Basically go out the ARCH by the church. Turn left. Go about 400 Mts along river. Cross wooden bridge. Camp ground is on your left. Has hot showers. Man will be by late in the day to collect the few euro fee.

We used the site Kanga recommends and printed out our tickets before leaving Australia to be organised. Don't leave ticket purchasing till the last moment as you can miss out on preferred departure times and it gets more expensive as the date gets closer. A warning when boarding the train at Gare Montparnasse, be very sure your are on the right carriage as there are similar seating numbers on multiple carriages, and importantly, the train will upon reaching Bordeux will uncouple in the middle and only one part of the train will proceed to Bayonne. We realised when watching the upcoming stations screen inside our carriage that Bayonne wasn't showing and some lovely English ladies explained the process, and our error. We made the dash to the front section of the train and found our proper seats and safely made it to our intended stop. It was our first ever "fast train" and we loved it! The seating is comfortable, you have a desk table and USB port. And you can take some food / drink onboard enjoy along the way. When you reach Bayonne you just walk to the ticket area and buy your StJPdP ticket, and make your way to the platform where it departs. And it's easy to find - just follow everyone with the backpacks doing the same.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On Trainline you can book from CDG for a 9.15am train to Bordeaux and Bayonne. My plane arrives at 7.05am and I'm assured I can clear immigration in time to get this service.

On Trainline you can book from CDG for a 9.15am train to Bordeaux and Bayonne. My plane arrives at 7.05am and I'm assured I can clear immigration in time to get this service.

It's still pretty tight though and immigration is not the only factor (e.g your flight could be delayed). Hopefully it works out!

My husband and are traveling from the US and arrive in Paris early on a Monday in mid April.. Our plan is to take the train to Bayonne, and then travel to SJPP, with our first day on the Camino being Wed. Having never traveled internationally, (very excited about my first time at age 61) I am not familiar with the train systems and find different recommendations regarding the pre- purchasing of tickets, if reservations are needed, and if money is saved by having tickets in hand prior to the start of the trip.

Sandy from Colorado

I just booked my tickets last week on the SNCF website for late April from Paris Airport to Bayonne. I got first class for only 3 euro more, total of 65 euro, not too sure how cheap that is, but I do believe it was cheaper than my first Camino. It’s an easy process, and they email the ticket.

Don’t forget to show the ticket & get the boarding pass upstairs at the SNCF office.

Buen Camino Peligrino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Sandy from Colorado

There is a great new app you should be able to download and purchase tickets. OUI.sncf . Should be in App Store. You can download ticket onto phone or print it. Has timetables everything. Has English option. Pretty easy to use. Take a look. Avoid the middlemen charging huge sums for nothing.

I've used Rail Europe in the past to book tickets for train. There was a question about how long to plan for between plane arrival and train departure at CDG. My comfort level was around three hours. You never know how long the Customs line will be. And, you may have a pretty good walk to get to the train station at the airport. Taking the TGV is a great way to begin decompressing from the jet lag.

I will be arriving at CDG on Tuesday, April 24th. Thank you for all the good information.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In 2016, we booked through iDTGV.com and even though the website was in French, after a few hours studying the words and translating, we managed to book and find a valid seniors discount.

First class from Paris Montparnasse to Bayonne cost 37 Euro each.

The price for each train varies depending on the departure time and who is operating the train.

We were able to book seats also and that ensured that we each had a window - handy when you are seeing France for the first time.

We stayed at the Arcadie Hotel in Montparnasse which is just over the road from the airport bus pick up and drop off point. The hotel is old and the rooms small but we would definately stay there again.

You must really watch your belongings in Paris. We did meet an Australian gentleman who had his backpack stolen from Montparnasse. He said he put his backpack down, turned his back for a while and then turned around and it was gone. Lost his passport, most of his cash and all of his hiking gear apart from what he was wearing.

We bought our tickets for the Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port section through Captain Train. They are now called Trainline. The tickets cost us 15.20 euro each. We discovered that we could have just as easily bought the tickets at the Bayonne station because there was plenty of time between the connections.

Hope this helps

Graham

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Sandy from Colorado
Just use the new app. No drama. Posted link here or find it in your App Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/oui-sncf-train-travel/id343889987?mt=8

Another option is to fly from Paris to Biarritz, that is what we are doing April 17. Airfares have gone up since I purchased my tickets. You can still go from Orly to Biarritz for about $79.00 on EasyJet. Quite a bit more going from CDG to Biarritz on Air France. EasyJet only goes out of Orly. You probably arrive at CDG, if you are coming in at Orly I would definitely check out flights. Getting from CDG to Orly is a bit of a pain, probably want to spend a night in Paris one way or another. If you go by train you can catch a Roissy Shuttle bus for 17 euros. The guy who suggested spending the night near Montparnasse is right, easier and you will get a decent sleep. To try to fly into Paris, go to station, get train, etc., having never travelled internationally before will be tiring and frustrating. Give yourself time. Ask for help, most people are very willing to help tourists, despite what you hear about Parisians. I love it there, good luck!

Sandy from Colorado
One caveat- express trains (like the one I took from Bordeaux to Bayonne) can have split destinations. So, it matters where you sit on the train. I was not in the correct section and went a few stops in the wrong direction, before I realized my mistake. The SNCF employees could not have been nicer. I was soon headed in the right direction, at no extra charge. Just show your ticket to the conductor at connecting stops- and have a great time!

I was able to book the whole trip Paris to SJPP on Trainline for 65 Euro (first class). Not bad I think and probably as cheap as it gets because I booked it pretty much as soon as it was available (3 months out).

I'm arriving in Paris from Vancouver on May Day (May 1st), taking the express bus (haven't booked yet) from CDG to Montparnasse where I found a very reasonably priced AirBnB room right across from the train station. The following morning, May 2nd -

07:52 Paris Montparnasse
11:47 Bayonne

14 min transfer time

12:01 Bayonne
12:59 St-Jean-Pied-de-Port

Arriving as early as I am in SJPP, I've decided to start walking that afternoon and have booked a night at Orisson which looks like a fabulous place to spend my first night on the Camino.

Can't wait! This is my first Camino after dreaming about it for 15 years :)

Peter

Im arriving in Paris on the 5 of May. Planning the train trip for the 9th. All the info i read here is certainly helpfull. Thanks everyone.

Hello all. EasyJet have a service from Charles de Gaulle to Biarritz leaving at 7:00am each day. It’s EZY370. Cost 95.80euro for two includes 1 checked in bag of 15kg.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello all. EasyJet have a service from Charles de Gaulle to Biarritz leaving at 7:00am each day. It’s EZY370. Cost 95.80euro for two includes 1 checked in bag of 15kg.
And we have booked the flight

Because of the ever present potential for delays in a Paris arrival, (11:30 AM for me), I have decided to take a bus to the Montparnasse area, where I have a hotel reservation. Next morning, it is a short walk to the train station where i catch the South Train to Bayonne. Then, I hope to acquire 3 Pilgrims to join me in finding a cab to take us immediately to SJPP> The cab is 100 euro (25 euroi each). When considering the cost of staying in Bayonne overnight, it is not a bad compromise. if I cannot find anyone to join me, I know it will be easy to do so at the airport which is not far away.

Because of the ever present potential for delays in a Paris arrival, (11:30 AM for me), I have decided to take a bus to the Montparnasse area, where I have a hotel reservation. Next morning, it is a short walk to the train station where i catch the South Train to Bayonne. Then, I hope to acquire 3 Pilgrims to join me in finding a cab to take us immediately to SJPP> The cab is 100 euro (25 euroi each). When considering the cost of staying in Bayonne overnight, it is not a bad compromise. if I cannot find anyone to join me, I know it will be easy to do so at the airport which is not far away.

Hi, Michelle,

Curious, have you booked the train yet? I've noticed many train reservation websites do not take reservations all in one from Paris to SJPP. When I booked on https://www.trainline.eu I managed to reserve for Paris Montparnasse to SJPP with a 14 minute transfer in Bayonne. Much cheaper than the taxi from Bayonne. As long as you're ok to leave Paris early (7:52am) you can get to SJPP at 13:00.

Best wishes,
Peter

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can anyone recommend a moderately priced hotel around Montparnasse? I was thinking of a night in Paris to get over jetlag and then to SJPP the next day by train. Or perhaps a night in Bayonne to ease my way in, not sure yet. Walking in mid-May.

Hi, Michelle,

Curious, have you booked the train yet? I've noticed many train reservation websites do not take reservations all in one from Paris to SJPP. When I booked on https://www.trainline.eu I managed to reserve for Paris Montparnasse to SJPP with a 14 minute transfer in Bayonne. Much cheaper than the taxi from Bayonne. As long as you're ok to leave Paris early (7:52am) you can get to SJPP at 13:00.

Best wishes,
Peter
Hi Peter,

There was a wait time for me (even leaving Paris at 7:53 AM) in Bayonne. Just offering alternatives that have worked for me in the past.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can anyone recommend a moderately priced hotel around Montparnasse? I was thinking of a night in Paris to get over jetlag and then to SJPP the next day by train. Or perhaps a night in Bayonne to ease my way in, not sure yet. Walking in mid-May.
Hi Pete,

I am staying at Easy Hostel, 5 Rue de Plantes, May 5, at a cost of 29 Euro, which includes Wifi and Breakfast.

€149,-
I was able to book the whole trip Paris to SJPP on Trainline for 65 Euro (first class). Not bad I think and probably as cheap as it gets because I booked it pretty much as soon as it was available (3 months out).

I'm arriving in Paris from Vancouver on May Day (May 1st), taking the express bus (haven't booked yet) from CDG to Montparnasse where I found a very reasonably priced AirBnB room right across from the train station. The following morning, May 2nd -

07:52 Paris Montparnasse
11:47 Bayonne

14 min transfer time

12:01 Bayonne
12:59 St-Jean-Pied-de-Port

Arriving as early as I am in SJPP, I've decided to start walking that afternoon and have booked a night at Orisson which looks like a fabulous place to spend my first night on the Camino.

Can't wait! This is my first Camino after dreaming about it for 15 years :)

Peter
Hi, I was looking at that train connection, is 14 minutes enough time to transfer in Bayonne?

Hi, I was looking at that train connection, is 14 minutes enough time to transfer in Bayonne?
Yes it is. Bayonne is a small station and very easy to navigate. The staff are helpful and used to tourists as well as pilgrims. Multiple video screens throughout the station display arrivals/departures as does a large board in lobby.

The adjacent station cafe boasts many handy plugs for recharging your computer or smartphone; if you have time to spare relax and have a drink or simple meal.

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
French trains leave right on time. Especially TGV. Don’t muck around. There are no shops nothing at Orrison. If you need any last minute things don’t forget to get them in SJPP. May 1 is huge workers day in France. Check any impacts on your travel plans.

Sandy from Colorado

Thanks for all the helpful input! Using trainline.eu was so much easier to navigate then the sncf site. I highly recommend it. We are set with reservations, and getting more excited each day.

Sandy from Colorado

Hi, Michelle,

Best wishes,
Peter

I booked the same trip, but now concerned about possibility of train strike. Any news on that front?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For more re the French strikes in English see -- https://www.thelocal.fr/20180316/fr...-are-the-37-days-to-avoid-travelling-by-train

For other current posts re the French strike see this forum thread.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/rail-strike.53761/

Bummer. Strikes the day we are booked to use the TGV from Montparnasse to Bayonne :(:(

Anyone know if all services are affected, or will the TGVs still run?
Funny that we've had no message from SNCF?

Better look at flights..........

Last edited:
Bummer. Strikes the day we are booked to use the TGV from Montparnasse to Bayonne :(:(

Anyone if all services are affected, or with the TGV still run?
Funny that we've had no message from SNCF?

Better look at flights..........
Robo,
The fact that the date will have strikes does not necessarily mean that there will be strikes on the Paris to Bayonne TGV lines. The dates of the strikes are now set but which lines/routes will strike are not necessarily known yet. All routes will not strike on every day.
Hope for the best!

Robo,
The fact that the date will have strikes does not necessarily mean that there will be strikes on the Paris to Bayonne TGV lines. The dates of the strikes are now set but which lines/routes will strike are not necessarily known yet. All routes will not strike on every day.
Hope for the best!

Hmm. I'd rather not rely on hope.
Bit late to find out once we arrive at the station..........and then too late to book alternative travel.

Might book a couple of cheap flights as a Plan B.

Response from SNCF

(Traffic forecasts will be available no later than the day before your departure. Updated timetable will be available on different services:

If you travel on a TGV INOui or INTERCITES train and your train is not scheduled, then you have the right to get aboard any other train during the day for the same journey without extra-cost or fee but with no guarantee of a seat.

If you decide to postpone your trip, you can exchange your ticket at the station in France or near any SNCF shop.

If you want a refund, there will be no fee. You can cancel either your booking on our website and send your physical tickets to Service relation clients SNCF, 62 973 ARRAS Cedex 9, France - or you can ask for a refund at the station in France or near any SNCF shop............)

Finding out the day before is not exactly helpful as we will be en route by Air from Australia.:(

And finding another train but no seat sounds like fun.

I think it will be worth having bookings on a cheap flight (e42) as a back up. We have our first few nights accommodation booked, so arriving a day late would be a bit of a hassle.......and costly......

Afternote.
Just grabbed 2 easy jet flights at only e38 each.
If the train runs, we'll use it. if not, head over to CDG.
Cheap plan B I reckon.

Last edited:
Thank you, that should help us since we are in Paris for 2 days, we can check the day prior.

€149,-
Our train today was cancelled due to strike. We were able to find out yesterday morning, went to Montparnasse station and got put on a Thursday train. Arrived at St Jean last night. Worked out great. We spent the train ride in the bar car. Not too comfortable but super happy to be here.

Someone mentioned above the Arcadie Hotel -opposite the bus drop off at Gare Montparnasse. I stayed a night in Paris in 2016, at Hotel Innova which is less than 1km walk from Montparnasse. Moderately priced. It was on the walk to Montparnasse that I decided my backpack was way too heavy! :)

Walking CF in September and October. Need to get from Montparnasse station to SJPdP on the 6th. Plan to travel through Spain, Portugal, France, and Italy after Camino. Is a pass from RailEurope my best option for train travel?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walked the camino late 2017 - flew from Australia to Paris then train to Bayonne and SJPP.

Was able to book tickets for both train trips through the Australian mirror of Raileurope.com. Ticket for the paris to Bayonne trip were emailed as a PDF for printing at home; ticket for the Bayonne to SJPP was printed in Melbourne and posted to me in a matter of days. System worked well!

Have seen some advice to the effect that booking online is cheaper than at the station, as well as being advisable in ensuring a seat...

Many thanks for this information Les. I will be travelling to SJPdP in September 2019 for my Camino Frances ex Brisbane. The train from CdG Airport in Paris to Bayonne and on to SJPdP sounds much easier to me than flying to Biarritz from Paris then bus and train. Great that you can book the train tickets beforehand as well. Had a look at a train timetable in French and my high school French didn't stack up so the Australian site through Raileurope is a boon! Merci!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back