• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train Travel Paris to St Jean

Leanne21

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2023
I was just looking up the SNCF website to purchase tickets on the train for April 22 and the site says the trains are all fully booked already. I wasn’t expecting to have a problem getting tickets for the train! Is this usual or will they release more seats later? Or should I start looking into alternative options for getting to St Jean?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @Leanne21 that’s entirely possible at that time of year, i.e. that seats are sold out. Maybe more seats will be released but you couldn’t rely on that.

But try searching Paris to Bayonne (rather than SJPP). It could be the small capacity train from Bayonne to SJPP that is causing the ´sold out’ result across all services on that day.

I’ve just looked up on Trainline (my preferred site, also booking from Australia) and seen there are still some (limited) options to buy tickets on 22 April from Paris to Bayonne via Bordeaux, I would snap up one of those tickets. 😄 Once in Bayonne you have the opportunity for a share ride with Bourricot Express, which you must book in advance

All the best. 😎

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can't answer the questions about releasing more seats, but I can ask if you would also consider either trying a different form of transport or going for a train on a different day. Bus or flying to Biarritz and then taking train or bus could be possibilities.

I had the same problem yesterday. The solution was TGV to Bordeaux and then local trains to Bayonne via Dax. If you get a reservation to Bordeaux you can always continue to Bayonne and Saint Jean Pied de Port on local trains that don't require seat reservations.

Try to be in Bordeaux as early in the day as possible, as the local trains are slower and you may need a couple of hours extra.

Last edited:
I was just looking up the SNCF website to purchase tickets on the train for April 22 and the site says the trains are all fully booked already.
This is definitely not what I see on https://www.sncf-connect.com for April 22. I doubt that there will be additional tickets released. It's only four weeks from now! This is a Saturday and there may have been a promotion for cheap tickets earlier that got snatched up. What I see on sncf-connect for April 22 for departure from Paris to Bayonne:

6:49 - tickets available​
7:08 - full​
7:58 - tickets available​
10:08 - full​
12:08 - full​
15:08 - tickets available​
18:08 - one ticket available​
These available tickets are not cut-price tickets. In fact, I'd say the ticket prices are what I would expect for a high-speed long-distance train journey in Europe. It does not stop to amaze me when I see these dirt cheap tickets for high-speed train travel in Spain and France - it does not look normal to me ...

Some of the connections listed on sncf-connect for trains from Paris to Bayonne on April 22 are not direct trains - you will have to change in Bordeaux to a slower train and with a waiting time of 1h 30 mins for example but you can buy the ticket for the whole journey.

BTW, I see questions on the forum whether to buy tickets beforehand or wait - my answer would be to buy them while they are available and cheap, or else pay the price later no matter how steep it is then.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
April 22 looks like it is very much into the French school holiday season as well. Lots of people flock to the beaches and mountains for the holiday period.

April 22 looks like it is very much into the French school holiday season as well. Lots of people flock to the beaches and mountains for the holiday period.
Good point. And also: Monday 1 May and Monday 8 May are public holidays in France. Start your two-weeks vacation on Saturday 22 April and you can include these two “free” days in your vacation time without having to sacrifice two days from your total annual leave. An attractive proposition.

Got to say I love the train trip from Paris to Bayonne and SJPDP . Meeting other Perregrinos & watching the landscape zip by at mach 3

I would fly if time was short or if I wasn't confident getting around Paris etc

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was having trouble booking with a bike and ended up changing my date to April 20 and going to DAX then locals to Bayonne

Hi there, thanks for the heads up on train availability. I'm due in the pilgrim office SJPDP on 24th April for one week. I could not use Express Burricot as they said they don't transport from Biarritz after 6.30pm, my flight from Dublin on 23rd April was changed to now arrive later at 20.15hrs. Because of this I must now stay in Bayonne on 23rd. On the info above I've just bought a train ticket from Bayonne to SJPDP morning 24th April. Glad to have secured that. My preference would be to be in SJPDP on the night of 23rd. I've a request posted on the "Ride Share" section of the forum and would gladly share a taxi on 23rd if anyone is interested.

I was just looking up the SNCF website to purchase tickets on the train for April 22 and the site says the trains are all fully booked already. I wasn’t expecting to have a problem getting tickets for the train! Is this usual or will they release more seats later? Or should I start looking into alternative options for getting to St Jean?
look at trainline.com. they offer a lot of trains and tickets on that day

Attachments

• hc_18997.jpg
    hc_18997.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 9
  • hc_18998.jpg
    hc_18998.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 9
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The same happened to me and someone suggested the Trainline app. I was able to get ours from there.

Thanks so much for the helpful information. I took your advice and checked through the trainline app and was able to book tickets to Bayonne. Leaving Paris on an early train but luckily staying near Montparnasse Station so no great drama. Thanks again for your help.

If you have the time.... go from Paris to Bordeaux... spend a day or two, then take the slow boat train to Bayonne then SJPD. This might be a one time trip in life! Enjoy every day and see the sights!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.