• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train worries

auburnfive

Veteran Member
I am travelling with a group of 8, we will be arriving in Madrid from Canada and taking the train to start in Leon in late Sept. The train schedule has changed and the 3 hours between 8:00 am flight arrival and train departure in Chaumartin. is now a tight 2 and a half. Otherwise we are waiting an extra 4 hours. Are we likely to make it? Should we get the tickets in advance to save time? If we are delayed are the tickets forfeited? If we get tickets at the station is there good availability? Or could we buy tickets for the later train and then exchange for the earlier one if our time is good? Likely stressing way too much, but am a planner by nature. Thanks!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If I was in your position, I would buy the tickets in advance and hope for the best. 2.5 hours should hopefully be more than enough time to get to Chamartin. Pre-booking allows you to avail of the online discounts and select your seats.

I don't think you can use the pre-booked tickets on a later train, but I'm sure that others will advise on that point.

Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am travelling with a group of 8, we will be arriving in Madrid from Canada and taking the train to start in Leon in late Sept. The train schedule has changed and the 3 hours between 8:00 am flight arrival and train departure in Chaumartin. is now a tight 2 and a half. Otherwise we are waiting an extra 4 hours. Are we likely to make it? Should we get the tickets in advance to save time? If we are delayed are the tickets forfeited? If we get tickets at the station is there good availability? Or could we buy tickets for the later train and then exchange for the earlier one if our time is good? Likely stressing way too much, but am a planner by nature. Thanks!

Here are links to Airport, Renfe Cercanias, Madrid Metro, and Chamartin.

Use the information to do a time appreciation and map recce.

You should have enough time but it is tight. I could tell you about the time I went from London to Madrid on a flight that departed 3 hours late ...

Getting tickets in advance will save money and time. There is often a line up at the ticket counter (while automatic machines go unused). The schedule has been reducing the number of trains so they are moving 'completo'. See Renfe information about their policy regarding missed trains under the link 'prices and discounts'.

On the other hand, if the train is full, ALSA buses go from airport T4 and Madrid Estacion Sur to Leon. Estacion Sur is reached by Cercanias or Metro from either the airport or Chamartin to station Mendez Alvaro.

Madrid Airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Renfe Cercanias from Airport T4 to Chamartin
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/index.html

Madrid Metro from T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Chamartin - line 8 to Mar de Cristal, Line 4 to Pinar de Chamartin, and line 1 to Chamartin.
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planoesquematicoingles.pdf

adif - Chamartin
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/17000/informacion_000295.shtml

ALSA
http://www.alsa.es/en/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would not buy the tickets ahead of time, just get them at the ticket counter in person to prevent forfeiting them in the ( likely) event there are delays, etc.

Hi, auburnfive,
As others have said, no one can predict whether you will even arrive in time for the second train! But at some point the risks diminish to the point that you can buy a ticket with reasonable assurances you will make it. For me, 6 1/2 would be a no brainer, but 2 1/2 really just depends on you. I think that your comfort level with the 2 1/2 hours will depend on whether you are a "runner" or a "waiter" generally at airports -- in other words, are you someone who likes to get there with plenty of time to sit and have a coffee and walk around, or do you generally arrive at your departure gate out of breath and just in the nick of time? If you are in the latter category, go for the 2 1/2 hours, if you are in the former, I'd go with the 6 hours.

The other risk with trains is the suggestion about buying your tickets at the counter right before departure. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. As others have pointed out, RENFE is running a lot fewer trains lately, so they fill up earlier.

Are you arriving in T4 in Madrid? If so, you will need to take the train from the satellite terminal where international flights arrive to the main T4, then go through customs, get your bag if you check one, and then either hop into a cab (probably no more than 20 euros) or go to the cercanias RENFE commuter trains and take a 12 minute train ride to Chamartin. Those trains run only twice an hour though, at 28 and 58 after the hour. There are a lot of variables, but I would think that 2 1/2 hours is close to being a comfortable lead time. Good luck with this, as Mendi says, having a Plan B is always a good idea! Buen camino, Laurie

I would not purchase tickets ahead of time.
I never do.
Just get them when you arrive in Madrid.

There also used to be buses directly from Madrid T4 to Leon.
Whariwharangi would know if that's still the case.

I personally prefer the bus to the train.

Lastly, if you are riding the train, you'd better pay CLOSE attention, especially at night, because they do not announce the stops.
Last time I took the train to Leon, I had to ask a local person to help me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@auburnfive

Get your tickets once you´re in Madrid. If you buy them ahead of time and you miss your train for any reason you lose your money.

On the Camino you need to have an open mind and a Plan B up your sleeve. In this case the bus from Madrid to Leon just might be that Plan B if you can´t get the train.

Ondo Ibili !

I totally agree.

I'd go with the bus option definitely, but that's just me. I had a very bad experience overall with the trains in Spain earlier this year. They were usually very late and I mean very late! I missed some very important connections and out of necessity had to change to buses which were a whole lot better and a whole lot cheaper in most cases. Buen Camino.

Thanks for your replies. I checked online, it seems our flight is only on time 54% of the time! So getting the tickets after we arrive should be OK even for a group of 8? Or to book for the 2:45 pm train?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You should know that Spanish trains often require the passenger to open the door! Look for the green button. The train will stop; if no one hits a button, the train will start again almost immediately. You will not have time to walk from your seat to the door, so be at the door as the train stops.

Thanks for your replies. I checked online, it seems our flight is only on time 54% of the time! So getting the tickets after we arrive should be OK even for a group of 8? Or to book for the 2:45 pm train?

Given there is real potential for not making 1030 train, I would go without purchasing tickets in advance. If you miss the train, you might then consider going on to catch a bus at Estacion Sur.

Another option, given the complicating factor of needing 8 seats, is to purchase 'billete flexible' tickets for the 1445 train. Then, if you make it in time for the 1030 train, exchange your tickets for the earlier train.

Billete flexible
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/tarifas/billete_flexible.html

One other thing ... the schedule for late September is not complete yet. I note for 17 Sept there is an 1105 train while the next week there are no trains posted yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back