• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trainers on wet days

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Almost all boots will get saturated in rain, so don't worry too much about trainers getting wet. They dry faster than most other types of footwear. Gaiters will help keep out the rain, as will rain pants or a poncho. I have found an umbrella useful as well, but generally leave it behind because of weight.

Vaseline or Sportslick will reduce the friction from wet footwear, and don't be afraid to put on dry socks after the rain stops (there is no point in getting two pair of socks wet in the same storm). Wool blend socks will dry faster than all-wool socks, so consider them. Wet cotton socks are the very worst for getting blisters.

Proper fit also means footwear that is not too small. If your boots/shoe feel tight, then you have not found the proper fit. If 1/2 size larger fits properly, then they really aren't 1/2 size large, are they?

There is no source of misery bigger than foot problems. Do everything you can to avoid them. If it means taking some thinner socks for when your feet swell, then do that. Start with the medium or heavy socks over sock liners, and switch during the day to a thin outer wool sock. Only you can tell what is working for you, so try everything on your training walks. Then when you are on the Camino, be flexible if you need to be. What worked in training may not work for the entire pilgrimage.

To give another view - in my experience there is nothing more certain to cause huge discomfort and blisters than walking with wet feet. If you are planning your camino in those months where rain is more probable I would use shoes, midankle shoes or boots with a goretex lining. Dry is best in my experience!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My experience:
I've walked several years from September through November, with LOTS of rain!
I've used trainers or runners with gel Motion Control inserts.
I've never had a blister from wet shoes.
The few times I've had wet shoes, they're dry by morning, even in the Fall/Winter weather.

Thanks for your replies. I'll be going mid June through to the end of July so I'm hoping the rainy days will be at a minimum but I know too well that weather is weather and anything is possible. A friend of mine suggested I hose my feet, walk 20mins or so, hose them again and repeat for as long as I can be bothered and test things that way which might work. (Or I could wait for a rainy day here but knowing my luck that'll be Easter!!)

I feel more comfortable walking in trainers, I'm having extreme difficulty fitting into boots/walking shoes. (See another post I wrote) But still using the time I have to try both options before I leave.

Just another reminder (as we always do at some point) that stuffing newspaper into your wet boots will do wonders to dry them overnight. In rainy weather I keep an eye out for spare newspapers and use them at night.
If possible and shoes are real wet..change to fresh newspaper after a while.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Brawblether:

I bring about ten lightweight plastic bags that will fit over my foot with me. I have low cut Gortex Merrill hiking shoes with vibram soles. When it rains heavily and I have to walk through water all day, I put a plastic bag over my sock. This way my socks and feet stay dry if my shoes get wet.

Ultreya,
Joe

grayland said:
Just another reminder (as we always do at some point) that stuffing newspaper into your wet boots will do wonders to dry them overnight. In rainy weather I keep an eye out for spare newspapers and use them at night.
If possible and shoes are real wet..change to fresh newspaper after a while.
In October 2010, we sloshed our way into Santiago, having experienced days of continual rain. My so called "waterproof" Merrells just couldn't cope (please don't anyone say - well get some with goretex, here in Costa Rica, you buy what is available, and be happy with it). In other words, choice is very limited)! Newspaper packed into the boots once in the Albergue, worked fantastically, changing the newspaper later in the evening if necessary. The boots were always dry in the morning. I never had a blister. By the way, these boots had already done the complete Camino from Roncesvalles to Santiago the previous year - and they did it again this year! I would certainly recommend Merrells (sounds like an advert)! Anne
PS. How I envy all you people who write : "go to a dealer, REI for instance, and get your feet professionally fitted to the best boot for your foot"!

My Brasher lightweight boots are also supposed to be waterproof.

Yeah, right.

I have a photo of my pouring water out of them at the albergue in Negreira.

They are leather and there is not an inch of Gortex on them anywhere.

The moral is that, no matter how good the boot, the rain is sometimes so overpowering that unless you can shelter until its gone - often not possible - then wet feet are always a possibility.

If anyone knows of a boot that will repel the Spanish rain no matter what, then please do chip in and share the knowledge with us.

To be fair that is the only time that they have let me down on 7 Caminos (of varying length) so I am not complaining. Honest.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We treat our leather boots with 'Renapur' before walking, rubbing it into seams etc with a small toothbrush. The pot is too heavy to take on Camino so for that we carry a sponge which we have coated with it. (The sponge part of a pot scourer will do) This carries enough to keep the boots re-proofed when needed on the Camino.
Also our waterproof trousers come down over the top of our boots which have well stitched in tongues so we don't get water in over the top. No problems, even when we were virtually paddling last year.

Edit:- Renapur- The small size is not really economical. We bought the ÂŁ12 pot and have had it for 4 years. Still enough left for a few months and our next Camino.
It is also available through Amazon in the UK

Yes, Anna, when there is no store nearby you much buy online. Rei is nowhere in Ohio. I bought several styles of boots & shoes in several sizes to try. Found the keepers & sent the rest back. Not the most convenient way to shop, but you do what you must to get it right. The news paper drying method sounds just right.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jeff:

I am curious as to how much they weigh. It does not say anything in the spec's.

Ultreya,
Joe

I have done two Caminos in trainers and inevitably there have been times when they have got wet. I usually carry on walking, even with wet socks, and have never had a blister - I wear two pairs of socks, one thick and one thin. The following day if my trainers are still wet/damp I put on clean dry socks then over these a plastic bag (supermarket ones are fine) for each foot before putting on the trainers. My feet and socks stay nice and dry even if my trainers are squelching!
Sandra :arrow:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I suggest that you choose fit and comfort over waterproof-ness. Some pilgrims never see rain on a Camino; most see just a few days; some experience days-on-end of rain. If you play the odds a bit and use some of the above techniques if you encounter very wet conditions, then the trainers will be fine. There is no good reason to wear hot, sweaty, waterproof boots on a typical Camino. Even after a decade of buying and using Gore-Tex equipment, I still don't know what it really does except raise the price of the gear. I don't recommend anything Gore-Tex just because it has that label.

I do take gaiters. They work.

Interesting Falcon. We don't find our leather boots are sweaty but do find that trainers are, hence our personal choice for the Camino.
Similarly gaiters sold here in the UK are much heavier to carry than our waterproof trousers, which have the added advantage of providing a warm layer on cold mornings.

We have just been around the winter sales and decided that our tried and tested gear is still the best for us. A great time to check out gear for anyone needing equipment whether in-store or online :)

And doesn't it depend on the season you'll be walking?
I am planning for autumn 2012. I'll see lots of rain, so I know trainers won't do the job for me. Wet feet will give you blisters...
Contemplating about gaiters.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

In October/November, I wore boots, my brother wore trainers. It rained for two weeks straight (yes, there were some breaks), and both of us had soaked footwear. We prevented blisters with Sportslick and dry socks. Water can lead to blisters, but it does not "have to."

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.