• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training? Absolutely necessary?

Cooperplus

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2015
I want to walk the Camino Frances. I am a 55 year old woman. I am healthy, with no particular injuries, but I am not in amazing shape. In my 20s and 30s, I did a lot of hiking, climbing, running, but kids came along and I put myself on the back burner. Now I am ready to rediscover myself - mentally and physically - and I think a physical and spiritual journey like the Camino sounds wonderful.

My question - do I need to do a lot of training before I go? I am relatively "tough" mentally, so I know I can handle it from that perspective. I went out and walked 16 km the other day with a friend, without any difficulty, but I am not sure what it is like day after day after day. Any thoughts? Advice? Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you don't train before you start, the first week or two will be training. Just as you would start easy going to a gym, you will need to start easy backpacking. It will be easier if you have had some regular and intense exercise before you go, so that you are in better than "decent" shape. Quite a few overweight couch potatoes have found themselves over matched by the pilgrimage.:)

Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Falcon269 and Wayfarer! It is reasonable to think I could do the whole journey in 5 weeks or is that a bit overambitious?

It took me thirty four days to reach Santiago, that included a few long days of thirty to thirty seven km but then I had a few short days as well. You can always skip ahead if you feel you are getting tight on time just make sure you walk the last 100 km to get your compostella.

It's not absolutely necessary, but the better in shape you are the easier the first weeks will be. I agree with @wayfarer , do a few back to back training days and that you should make sure your boots are broken it, and your choice of sock sorted. Blisters take some of the fun out of the camino for me. Not sure where you are, or when you are planning but if possible maybe try out walking in heat, as it can really affect the way boots feel/fit.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm 66 and currently training for October by resting my stress-fractured foot. I hope to get walking again shortly and will have about 10 weeks to train. And I'll have to avoid re-injuring my foot. I think the main points are to:
  • Have shoes/boots that your feet love.
  • Have your body accustomed to lots of regular walking. Sounds like you are OK for that, but try to get some 15-km walks several days a week. That's to test the shoes, socks and walking clothes, as much as your body.
  • Carry a comfortable weight in your backpack! For me that is no more than 6-7 kg.
  • Use walking sticks. (Everyone says to practice a lot beforehand. However, I just watched some YouTube videos and did a bit of practice. I learned fast, on the walk.)
  • Keep ahead of any developing blisters.
I wouldn't expect to walk more than 20 km/day, on average, unless you are confident you can do more or you are willing to catch up by bus. So figure out a suitable starting point, allowing whatever you need for travel at each end.

Last edited:
Is it good idea to have waterproof shoes, ie Gortex lined, for the rainy part of the trail? My hiking boots are waterproof, but my trail runners are not. I am contemplating which pair to bring. I will be walking Camino Frances for the first time, and should be arriving the vicinity of Galicia about late October. With the almost certain heavy rain, I worry about not having waterproof shoes. Thank you in advance.

I always walk with Goretex lined trail runners, in June or October. There are thos who will say feet will sweat and you'll get balistes, I never have. And in May of 2013 when the north of Spainwas nothing but rain and muy I was a happy camper. In my opinion boots maybe too much.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is it good idea to have waterproof shoes, ie Gortex lined, for the rainy part of the trail? My hiking boots are waterproof, but my trail runners are not. I am contemplating which pair to bring. I will be walking Camino Frances for the first time, and should be arriving the vicinity of Galicia about late October. With the almost certain heavy rain, I worry about not having waterproof shoes. Thank you in advance.

Take the trail runners. Goretex is not advised by me on the trail because your feet are going to get hot and sweat in them. If the trail runners get wet, they'll dry out overnight. There's not that much rain in October - you'll have plenty of dry days.

Thanks Anemone for the reply and insight. I just realized I should have posted my question to the "Shoes" section of forum, not as part of this "Training" thread. Please pardon my mistake for being a new member.

Cooper plus: I have walked the camino 4 times over 10 years. Three of the caminos were relatively last minute with no training and coming from a desk job having done minimal exercise. One camino was during a period when I was training and running marathons. I am a 61 year old female and slightly overweight. I had no problem walking the camino in 33 days with no training. I do think trekking poles really help especially when I am not in shape. As Falcon stated your first week will be training so plan accordingly. However, even without training I was able to do 35 km days in the first week. Just have good shoes, go slow, stop and rest often and listen to your body. Take a rest day if you feel really tired. Pushing yourself too far and fast can result in tendinitis or other ailments that could end your camino. I will say that the first week was easier when I was in training for the marathon, but all of my caminos were completed without significant problems. I think you will be fine if you felt good doing 16 km.
Regarding the question about gortex waterproof boots: I have walked all my caminos between October-April because I like cooler weather. I have always worn a hiking boot with gortex. I encountered rain, mud, puddles, snow and never had my feet get wet or cold.I do spray my boot with a sealer before leaving for my camino. I also like the support of a boot. I do agree that the boots can get hot if you are walking in hot weather in the summer time. However, I would recommend gortex for late October. Of course, you will get varying opinions so it is a personal decision.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Training is over rated :)

As long as you are fairly fit and have done some regular walking to wear in your footwear you'll be fine.

As I was very unfit and overweight I started to ramp up my training 4 months out...........and as a result at 2 months out developed Achilles Tendonitis. Then wrecked my back 4 weeks out. Another story.

I was only able to actually walk (with a limp) a week before I departed for my Camino. So I had not trained for 2 months. I hadn't even walked more than 200 metres for 2 months...... Let alone carry a back pack. Throwing on my pack leaving Sydney was a shock and my tendons sure let me know!

I arrived in St Jean.........unfit and over weight. But I made it. in 40 days. A bit fitter by the end, but not much lighter (wine and food). And still with a limp.

All my great 'virtual friends' here told me not to worry, but use the first few days on the Camino for training. Which I did. Only 8 kms day 1. It was day 4 before I got up to 20 kms. A couple of weeks later I was doing 30 kms. (But that proved too far for my screwed up legs/feet) 20-22 / day was my sweet spot.

My point?

Don't stress over training. I met people who were probably 20 KG overweight. And they made it. (I was 10 over).
I met people aged 75 that I could not keep up with.
I met people with hip problems.
I met people with disabilities.
I met a guy with a wooden leg!

Guess what..........they all made it...........

To me the Camino is all about attitude and mental strength..... If you really want to get there, you will.

OK, OK..... being fitter and not so overweight will make it a bit easier :oops:

Just make sure your footwear is good, worn in and take all the advice about avoiding and treating blisters. Anything else, you can easily deal with.

After thought
..... What type of training can you realistically do for the Camino? What will prepare you for the day after day pounding that your lower body and back takes?

I would suggest general fitness/cardio training. Leg and joint strengthening. What do others think?

I was surprised how my body deteriorated the further I walked. I managed 14 days before my first day off. (Burgos) Then only about 7 days apart after that.

I think what caused my overall decline, in the sense that I had to shorten my daily distances, was over doing it midway.

Once I was comfortable with 20-22 kms I should have stayed with that. But accommodation options and over optimism pushed me to do 31 kms the day before arriving in Burgos. That caused some damage that I probably never really recovered from.

A couple of other long days really started shin pain on top of the Achilles pain. By the end I was down to 15 km days. Pushing 20 on the final 2 days.

My point? Monitor how your body is coping very closely......... Pushing too far too early can jeopardise your whole journey....

But there again........I'm a 58 YO overweight couch potato ;) Others seem to find it a breeze :oops:

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I want to walk the Camino Frances. I am a 55 year old woman. I am healthy, with no particular injuries, but I am not in amazing shape. In my 20s and 30s, I did a lot of hiking, climbing, running, but kids came along and I put myself on the back burner. Now I am ready to rediscover myself - mentally and physically - and I think a physical and spiritual journey like the Camino sounds wonderful.

My question - do I need to do a lot of training before I go? I am relatively "tough" mentally, so I know I can handle it from that perspective. I went out and walked 16 km the other day with a friend, without any difficulty, but I am not sure what it is like day after day after day. Any thoughts? Advice? Thank you!

Yes! and you will still need to start out easy for the first week of your camino, say 15 kilometers a day. Walk into your Camino. Buen Camino

Happy trails

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am leaving for the Camino on Aug. 27. I work full time shift work and just simply do not have time to walk back to back days for kilometres on end as I also have to attend to my daily life. I am on my feet for 12 hours at a time, my fitbit tells me I walk over 9 miles in a shift !! No, I don't count that as training (well I sorta do). I try to walk a good 15 - 20 km walk once a week in the mountains .. up and down and up and down. I try to walk a few 5 - 8 km walks during the week, sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. I have done a couple of walks with my pack. I do what I can. I am over 50 and in decentish shape ... oh, and overweight .. but I have no doubt that I can do my Camino if I take my time for the first 2 weeks. You can do it too. I kept telling myself today on my mountain hike ... if I can do this then I can do the Camino.

Lighter shoes will take less time to dry out.

If it is wet weather you can encase your feet and socks in plastic bags.

Further, the rain tends to fall in heavy squalls and you can see the black clouds rolling towards you giving about a half hour notice ... lots of time to find a tree, bus stop, or an overhang of a building to wait under till it passes.

The secret to staying dry is ... don't get wet.

I wouldn't get too worried about it. Unless you are the wicked witch of the west your feet won't melt.

I am leaving for the Camino on Aug. 27. I work full time shift work and just simply do not have time to walk back to back days for kilometres on end as I also have to attend to my daily life. I am on my feet for 12 hours at a time, my fitbit tells me I walk over 9 miles in a shift !! No, I don't count that as training (well I sorta do). I try to walk a good 15 - 20 km walk once a week in the mountains .. up and down and up and down. I try to walk a few 5 - 8 km walks during the week, sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. I have done a couple of walks with my pack. I do what I can. I am over 50 and in decentish shape ... oh, and overweight .. but I have no doubt that I can do my Camino if I take my time for the first 2 weeks. You can do it too. I kept telling myself today on my mountain hike ... if I can do this then I can do the Camino.

You'll do great. I was a couch potato sitting behind a desk all day :(

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Our training involved walking with a pack, gradually increasing its weight until we knew we could carry what we needed happily. The emphasis is on 'needed'

The correct footwear is part of the training. Personally we favour lightweight walking boots which keep the water out, and in October it will not be over hot. We wear ours in May-June in Spain. Check that they are a good fit and not sweaty at home - we ditched one make for that reason. We still love our Hi-tec lightweight leather boots which come just over the ankle and are OK 'staright out of the box', although we do wear them in a little. Never had any problems with them, but did with the Grisport brand. If you have other shoes/boots that suit you then stick with them IMO.
Boots edited in :) Terry's left, mine right.

Attachments

• new boots.jpg
    new boots.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Yeah, you should have no problems. No real need to over-train. Best advice is to travel as light as you can and wear good footwear that won't blister your feet yet still offer cushioning and stability and some measure of traction.
As far as mental toughness goes, walking the Camino is far from a challenge mentally. That get's a bit overplayed. A place to clean up lay your head, get a meal and a coffee or cold beer is never that far away, and nobody is shooting at you. Heck, that a win-win to me. ;)

[QUOTE="Cooperplus, post: 327120, member: 48009"
My question - do I need to do a lot of training before I go? [/QUOTE]

I really don´t know how anyone can answer this.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Our training involved walking with a pack, gradually increasing its weight until we knew we could carry what we needed happily. The emphasis is on 'needed'

The correct footwear is part of the training. Personally we favour lightweight walking boots which keep the water out, and in October it will not be over hot. We wear ours in May-June in Spain. Check that they are a good fit and not sweaty at home - we ditched one make for that reason. We still love our Hi-tec lightweight leather boots which come just over the ankle and are OK 'staright out of the box', although we do wear them in a little. Never had any problems with them, but did with the Grisport brand. If you have other shoes/boots that suit you then stick with them IMO.
Boots edited in :) Terry's left, mine right.

Tia Valeria: What brand boots do you use that are "lightweight walking boots". I wear Lowa boots with gortex - they feel lighter than some of the more structured boots I tried. Are yours lighter than these?

€60,-
Laura I have very good friends who will be walking with my wife and me in late April -May They live in Dallas and would like to get some first hand info Any wsy to pm then

Finally, something I know a little about. I usually find I don't have time to walk. I have to make the time. My idea of walking was 30mins around the park. I competed the Camino Frances in 10/2013. Before I left I did walk, but I extended my time walking. I had done the Bay to Breakers in San Francisco a few times in my life. I knew that I could walk about 16k. If I had trained to walk longer distances it would have help me on the Camino. If I had practice with incline walks it would have helped.
To make a long story short, on day one, I was not as prepared as I could have been. Yet I wasn't in a hurry to be the fastest or to run with the pack of walkers that were walking 20-40km a day. Not to say that there is anything wrong with walking or riding fast. I am a slow poke! I really just wanted to enjoy my pilgrimage at my own pace. I wanted to joy walking, smelling the countryside, seeing the historical sites, and meeting the people. Remember that you are the designer of your own experience. Buen Camino

Laura I have very good friends who will be walking with my wife and me in late April -May They live in Dallas and would like to get some first hand info Any wsy to pm then

I sent a PM with my contact info.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Our b
Tia Valeria: What brand boots do you use that are "lightweight walking boots". I wear Lowa boots with gortex - they feel lighter than some of the more structured boots I tried. Are yours lighter than these?
Boots are made by Hi-tec - the website has links to different countries and USA is included. Ours were Altitude IV waterproof lightweight leather. Later model now made.
My size 6(UK) weigh 1lb 1oz (490gms) per boot and Terry's size 8(UK) weigh 1lb 4oz (565gms) per boot - on my kitchen scales.

I had done a bit of training. 30 minutes here and there with a heavy pack but it in no way prepared me. Those first few days were incredibly hard for me as I kept mumbling ##**$@ another hill.

After a couple of weeks I was zipping up those hills without a problem. Just remember to go easy for the first few days.

Hi Cooperplus,

I guess my thoughts would run along the line of suggesting that you train as much as you can. Why not? What can it hurt?
I'm not sure where you're from but why risk spending a lot of money to fly to Southern France only to get injured due to lack of preparedness? You'll be walking 15-20 kms (or more) everyday while wearing weight. Train for it.
Unless you feel that all the injuries that you've no doubt read about on this forum are a "part of the Camino experience". Michele and I trained a fair bit prior to our Camino and neither of us would ever tell someone not to bother training.

Just my $0.02

Ron

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
:):):);):):);):)

Training, which to me means walking longish distances fairly frequently... will make your first week easier, that's all. As was said before (so sorry,I forget whose answer it was ), if you don't have time/can't 'train' then consider your first week (or two, depending on your fitness level) as your training. I.e: go easy. If you listen to your body you'll know when to stop, just don't try and catch up with people faster than you.
You'll be fine .
:)

I guess it also depends on what you consider training. For us, training for the Camino was also a great way to shake out our kit. In other words, make sure that what you are going to bring on your Camino will work for you.

If you don't train in your shoes (or boots) then how will you know that they will still be perfect once you stop just "wearing them around to break them in" and actually walk long distances over and over while wearing a weighted ruck sack? How do you know that your ruck sack will work over the long haul unless you've trained with it? If you've had it for a while then you're lucky. I see lots of people who buy kit specifically for the Camino.

Anyways, just trying to help!

Ron

There appear to be lots of opinions on this, so I will just share my experience. I trained by walking lots of miles in my boots and felt great. Added a fully loaded backpack and the wheels came off. Sesamoiditis and a rotated pelvis - both very painful. Fortunately, both were correctible and I had the time to take care of it before leaving for Spain. If you have the time and opportunity to train, I feel it is highly advisable to do so and consider adding that pack - it might make a huge difference.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

As long as you are fairly fit and have done some regular walking to wear in your footwear you'll be fine.

As I was very unfit and overweight I started to ramp up my training 4 months out...........and as a result at 2 months out developed Achilles Tendonitis. Then wrecked my back 4 weeks out. Another story.

I was only able to actually walk (with a limp) a week before I departed for my Camino. So I had not trained for 2 months. I hadn't even walked more than 200 metres for 2 months...... Let alone carry a back pack. Throwing on my pack leaving Sydney was a shock and my tendons sure let me know!

I arrived in St Jean.........unfit and over weight. But I made it. in 40 days. A bit fitter by the end, but not much lighter (wine and food). And still with a limp.

All my great 'virtual friends' here told me not to worry, but use the first few days on the Camino for training. Which I did. Only 8 kms day 1. It was day 4 before I got up to 20 kms. A couple of weeks later I was doing 30 kms. (But that proved too far for my screwed up legs/feet) 20-22 / day was my sweet spot.

My point?

Don't stress over training. I met people who were probably 20 KG overweight. And they made it. (I was 10 over).

To me the Camino is all about attitude and mental strength..... If you really want to get there, you will.

Just make sure your footwear is good, worn in and take all the advice about avoiding and treating blisters. Anything else, you can easily deal with.

After thought
..... What type of training can you realistically do for the Camino? What will prepare you for the day after day pounding that your lower body and back takes?

I would suggest general fitness/cardio training. Leg and joint strengthening. What do others think?

I was surprised how my body deteriorated the further I walked. I managed 14 days before my first day off. (Burgos) Then only about 7 days apart after that.

I think what caused my overall decline, in the sense that I had to shorten my daily distances, was over doing it midway.

Once I was comfortable with 20-22 kms I should have stayed with that. But accommodation options and over optimism pushed me to do 31 kms the day before arriving in Burgos. That caused some damage that I probably never really recovered from.

A couple of other long days really started shin pain on top of the Achilles pain. By the end I was down to 15 km days. Pushing 20 on the final 2 days.

My point? Monitor how your body is coping very closely......... Pushing too far too early can jeopardise your whole journey....

But there again........I'm a 58 YO overweight couch potato ;) Others seem to find it a breeze :oops:
I pretty much agree as i found the first two weeks great but got over sure of my self and pushed a bit further and faster than i should have and ended up with shin splints which slowed me back down . but got there and if you pace yourself you will too, enjoy the journey cos its oddly wonderful and also sad to get to the end of an amazing journey,.

If you are a walker than training won't be an issue. If you walk occasionally around your neighborhood training is important. Strength training is as important as stamina while walking. Upper body strength is very important, all a round general fitness is important, if you question your body and its fitness then ingage in an all around physical regimant

My normal training is non- existence. Except for drinking red wine, eating tapas, and watching movies in Spanish. But my first ten days are usually painful. But I do get there. This year I proved the adage that we are all capable of change (yes!) and did some preparation. It definitely helped.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My point?

This argument is flawed. What about the numbers who had these limitations who didn't make it. It's great that some did, but not an indication that not preparing physically is in any way a reasonable approach to making it.

I know I am one of those who carry more weight than I should, etc, etc. But that doesn't mean I would recommend that.

Can I suggest it will make it a LOT easier.

What type of training can you realistically do for the Camino?
Quite a lot. Good walk preparation does not require doing long walks, but can be done by doing a little bit most days with a gradually increasing longer walk on one day a week. I would recommend something like the program here. If you take an approach like this, and put in a couple of back to back longer walks on the the two weekends before you leave, I think that would be realistic physical preparation.

More, the schedule can be adapted so people with work or other commitments can find time to fit it in around their other activities without too much difficulty.

Last edited:
Whether you train or not before you go....would you consider making the camino the beginning of walking-for-the-rest-of-your-life-while-you-are-able???

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No argument Doug :)

Though I think people should not be put off walking if for some reason their training was inadequate or curtailed in some way.... ;)
I support you here, but there is a world of difference between not putting someone off and, on the face of it, suggesting that it unnecessary to make reasonable preparations of any kind.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you are in decent shape, I think the Camino can be walked without training, but there are pitfalls to that approach. The biggest threat to completing the Camino, in my opinion, is anxiety about whether one can do it or not, which leads to pushing and injury. Somebody that has not trained is more likely to be anxious about this, less attuned to their body, and more likely to overdo it. If you really know yourself well, you can walk the Camino without training. But knowing yourself well is best arrived at through training.

. Get yourself a pair of walking poles. Your knees will thank you!

I just staggered back from a 3.5 hr walk copiously blistered and aching from the knees down. I set out cheerily, fully confident after coping fine with 2 hr walks. The thought of having to do twice today's marathon is beyond challenging. The thought of finding this out after starting a camino is frankly horrifying. My advice to all sexagenarians out there debating the necessity of training is - DO IT. You won't be striding confidently through those inspiring vistas, enjoying spiritual epiphanies. You'll be hobbling along in a world of pain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think it's a good idea to do one 20-25 km hike with all your gear and clothes, so you know if they fit you right. While training we found out what worked well and what didn't.

@Lachance, I don't think I would have recommended stepping up from 2 hrs to 3.5 hrs in one hit. What distances were involved? I ask because I normally only try to increase my walking time for my long walk by 30 min or so a week. For me, what you have done would have taken at least three weeks.

I just staggered back from a 3.5 hr walk copiously blistered and aching from the knees down. I set out cheerily, fully confident after coping fine with 2 hr walks. The thought of having to do twice today's marathon is beyond challenging. The thought of finding this out after starting a camino is frankly horrifying. My advice to all sexagenarians out there debating the necessity of training is - DO IT. You won't be striding confidently through those inspiring vistas, enjoying spiritual epiphanies. You'll be hobbling along in a world of pain.

Was it on roads/hard surfaces? Were you carrying a pack? Too much walking on roads during training gave me tendonitis.... And I found walking the Camino that hard surfaces were much harder on feet/joints/legs than gravel, earth, grass... Anything was better than asphalt / concrete.

Were you walking fast? Walking at a comfortable pace is essential and don't overstride...

Double socks? Blisters after 3 1/2 hours indicates something is wrong. Footwear or socks.

Training is important to iron these things out. Just no need to go mad. You're not training for the Olympics.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Our training was slowly extended in much the same way as @dougfitz has outlined, also only slowly increasing our pack weights. We found out how far was our personal comfortable maximum distance and weight, then planned our stages accordingly. This gives us a daily aim of approx 15kms with leeway for a few more (20km max.) This then impacts on the days needed or where to start, but IMO is better than trying to walk too, far too fast, and getting injured/blistered etc in the process and maybe having to stop.
In previous years we have always been able to add a few kms to our practise average (12-15kms), up to 50%, giving the occasional 20km day, however the terrain this year held us to the lower level most of the time (12-15kms)with our longest day at 17kms. This was in spite of training, but would have been far harder had we not prepared.

To me there are two different types of training. I started by just walking on the flat and building up the distance to 15 miles over a period of 5 weeks or so, I have to say I found this quite boring. Then I proceed to tackle the hills that surround where I live, again doing about 15 miles, I must add that my walking pace is approximately 2.5 mph, this I find a nice stay pace.

After a couple of months I introduced my backpack into the equation, what a difference that made. I started off with the weight I'll be carrying on the camino. My first walk up and down the hills was 5 miles and I have to say it took a few miles to get the pack set right. That was a few weeks ago, I've added a couple of extra Kg's to my pack for training purposes and today completed my first 10 mile hike, again over the hills. With breaks I covered this in 4 ½ hours, so it would appear that I'm still keeping up my mph.

I have 5 weeks to go before stepping out from SJPdP so hopefully I'll be ready for the unknown.
For me I think it would be daunting to start with no training what so ever, although I know a lot of pilgrims have indicated that they did it this way.

If in doubt work out, it can't do you any harm and at least it will iron out all the bugs in your equipment and body.

Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
To me there are two different types of training. I started by just walking on the flat and building up the distance to 15 miles over a period of 5 weeks or so, I have to say I found this quite boring. Then I proceed to tackle the hills that surround where I live, again doing about 15 miles, I must add that my walking pace is approximately 2.5 mph, this I find a nice stay pace.

After a couple of months I introduced my backpack into the equation, what a difference that made. I started off with the weight I'll be carrying on the camino. My first walk up and down the hills was 5 miles and I have to say it took a few miles to get the pack set right. That was a few weeks ago, I've added a couple of extra Kg's to my pack for training purposes and today completed my first 10 mile hike, again over the hills. With breaks I covered this in 4 ½ hours, so it would appear that I'm still keeping up my mph.

I have 5 weeks to go before stepping out from SJPdP so hopefully I'll be ready for the unknown.
For me I think it would be daunting to start with no training what so ever, although I know a lot of pilgrims have indicated that they did it this way.

If in doubt work out, it can't do you any harm and at least it will iron out all the bugs in your equipment and body.

Buen Camino
Excellent advice. Thank you for sharing your approach.

My point?

After thought

Regular walks with your shoes,socks jacket and a pack does help.Factor in the days spent travelling to Spain/France-it takes a day or two to get over the air travel.Also it's well worth having your pack transported for the really steep bits eg to the Iron Cross and to O Cebreiro particularly if it's been wet.Gradient,smooth granite and mud-particularly if horses have been through can make for a difficult walk-Hiking poles also make a real difference.Buen Camino

Thanks Falcon269 and Wayfarer! It is reasonable to think I could do the whole journey in 5 weeks or is that a bit overambitious?

I'd hope you could take six weeks, and plan one day a week to stay put somewhere . . . there are wonderful places to explore, and I found that my body really appreciated that extra day of rest once a week. Took me 43 days, with six full days "off", though I could have gone a little faster, but wanted to go at a natural pace for me on any day. Good luck.

€60,-

Dear Cooperplus. No one can tell you how much to train for this walk but yourself but it is all about how your body is responding to long walks. I started my training for next years Camino in April this year and I still feel it is somewhat of a struggle. I am 64 and in good shape, but age does have an effect and so does your spiritual condition. My best advice to you is to listen to your body and your heart and prepare yourself in good time. Buen Camino!

My earlier post (Training is Over Rated) may have been taken too literally by some :oops:

Of course training makes sense. To prepare your body and to test equipment.

In my view, just don't stress about it too much and if for some reason you are not able to train, or train as much as you would like, it does not mean that you cannot walk the Camino. It just means you'll need to take care in the early days, and build up slowly....

I found, for me at least, a funny thing happens when you finally start walking on the Camino. The whole environment is so wonderful and you are so in awe of the fact that you are actually 'here', doing what you may have planned for months or years, that everything somehow becomes easier and more relaxed than you imagined it would be :)

I have done a Camino Frances with Gore-tex and without Gore-tex.
With Gore-tex your feet will be hotter and more prone to blisters on 90% of the days which are dry and get wet eventually anyway on wet days.
Non Gore-tex boots get wetter faster - but also dry faster.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would stress Robo's point about the connection between asphalt walking and tendonitis. In my experience, no matter how well trained and how fit you are, the daily pounding will take its toll. There is a lot of asphalt on almost all of the Caminos I have walked except perhaps for the Camino de Madrid and the Catalan. Somewhat ironically, I think that the pilgrims who are the most fit (in a cardiovascular sense) are likely to get tendonitis more quickly and more severely, since they walk longer distances more easily and their feet then take more pounding per day at the beginning.

A couple of things I have learned that have helped to decrease the ill effects of asphalt walking for me:
-- use walking sticks, they take some of the weight off your feet and thus reduce the impact of the foot strike;
-- if you wear orthotics, make sure they are soft (silicone is best), not hard plastic;
-- carry a plastic bag with you and at the end of the day, sit outdoors in a bar and ask the waiter to put some ice in it. Then ice your shins, in ten minute segments, no more than 20-30 minutes total (some would say less, but that's what I do).
-- when you are on asphalt, look carefully to see if there is any way to walk on an unpaved surface. Frequently roads have dirt or grassy shoulders and if you're intentional about it, you can avoid a lot of the asphalt that way.

Wishing everyone a healthy camino, Laurie

I have done a Camino Frances with Gore-tex and without Gore-tex.
With Gore-tex your feet will be hotter and more prone to blisters on 90% of the days which are dry and get wet eventually anyway on wet days.
Non Gore-tex boots get wetter faster - but also dry faster.
Thank you Paul and other members' inputs regarding my question of Gore-Tex/waterproof footwear. So Paul, sounds like you'd rather wear non Gore-Tex boots if you're to do another CF, correct? I've been doing some long walks testing out my Gore-tex boots, and you are right that the feet do feel hotter than wearing normal shoes. I thought Gore-Tex is a special membrane that supposedly "breath", but still it does feel hotter inside.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I thought Gore-Tex is a special membrane that supposedly "breath", but still it does feel hotter inside.

Yeah, it breathes on a molecular level, but blocks active airflow. A mesh shoe actively pumps air through it as you walk, and sweat evaporates about 10 times faster.

Thank you Paul and other members' inputs regarding my question of Gore-Tex/waterproof footwear. So Paul, sounds like you'd rather wear non Gore-Tex boots if you're to do another CF, correct? I've been doing some long walks testing out my Gore-tex boots, and you are right that the feet do feel hotter than wearing normal shoes. I thought Gore-Tex is a special membrane that supposedly "breath", but still it does feel hotter inside.

I'll add my experiences into the mix - I always walk in Goretex lined boots. It suits me and boots allow me to manage my physical problems. Something that not many people do is keep the boot lining clean. Just wipe it out with a cloth and lukewarm water. It makes a huge difference.

For some reason I don't find that my feet get hot but do use a combination of natural fibres for my sock combination - silk toe sox liners (a girl's got to have some luxury) and merino mix outers. I also have insulated boot inserts from the extensive Sole range. This has worked for me from the mountains of Tibet and Nepal to the plains of Africa, the trails of Papua New Guinea and all the arid inland Aussie walking. I often walk in 30-40+C with no foot heat problems. (Before anyone comments, if I want to walk in summer over here, that's the price but then I've been walking in various extremes all my life. Don't recommend it to everyone.)

However, all my years of bushwalking and backpacking have taught me that we're all individuals and that the best advice is to try lots of options and then go with what works for you.

Buen Camino!

and while I'm here...

Ah! the training question - starter of much discussion and many arguments. I do love Kanga's training regime: red wine, tapas, Spanish movies... that's someone who I'd like to walk with... just the right relaxed attitude.

Basically training comes down to knowing yourself. I have helped many people to realise the treks of their dreams and trained them beforehand, this Camino was another instance. The forum members here have given wonderful expert advice as well as first hand accounts. Sift through and see what you feel will work for you.

I used to train extensively before any of my long treks but now have physical limitations due to age (61) and wear and tear from some spectacular and memorable incidents. I am active in my everyday life and just ramp this up in the months before I leave. I still bushwalk but limit it to a few hours otherwise I stir up old injuries. I started my Camino very, very slowly but we are journey walkers and stop lots to look around, take photos and appreciate a place that we may never see again. We intentionally took 44 days to Santiago with no rest days just 'Sherpa' ones where you walk only a short distance i.e. 7-10kms. I need to do this so that I don't seize up as my body goes into recovery mode as soon as I stop.

Certainly train incrementally with all your gear to see what works and to get used to it all. This is a must. Also many people take a while to get comfortable with their backpacks. Weeks before a trek I begin to wear my backpack around the house all the time, slowly increasing the weight. This way my body is accustomed to it and I become a dab hand at adjusting everything - it's an Aarn.

If you are taking poles - and I strongly recommend them - do take the time to learn to use them properly. If you have an outdoor store handy, see if someone can show you. There are many tips and tricks and using the straps to help propel you uphill is one of my favourites.

Buen Camino! Hope that it leads to many more.

@Lachance, I don't think I would have recommended stepping up from 2 hrs to 3.5 hrs in one hit. What distances were involved? I ask because I normally only try to increase my walking time for my long walk by 30 min or so a week. For me, what you have done would have taken at least three weeks.
Actually the plan was 2.5 hrs but the added segment proved longer than expected. I don't know the distances which is a source of continual frustration. On the Canberra site you've recommended in previous posts, the training programme switches between times and distance walked. Not a simple matter to work out distances on a circuitous suburban walk.

Anyway, it's good to hear 30 min increase pw is a realistic goal, thanks.

Was it on roads/hard surfaces? Were you carrying a pack? Too much walking on roads during training gave me tendonitis.... And I found walking the Camino that hard surfaces were much harder on feet/joints/legs than gravel, earth, grass... Anything was better than asphalt / concrete.

Were you walking fast? Walking at a comfortable pace is essential and don't overstride...

Double socks? Blisters after 3 1/2 hours indicates something is wrong. Footwear or socks.

Training is important to iron these things out. Just no need to go mad. You're not training for the Olympics.
Footpaths, walking on the grass verge when there was one. I was walking at a brisk pace for me, but was mortified to be effortlessly overtaken by a couple of gossiping teenagers and a down at heel looking middle-aged man. I'm fairly confident none of them were trying.

And no, I usually wear double socks but they were in the wash, so only 1 pair of med merinos. Wondered if that might explain the blisters. Thanks for the feedback.

Footpaths, walking on the grass verge when there was one. I was walking at a brisk pace for me, but was mortified to be effortlessly overtaken by a couple of gossiping teenagers and a down at heel looking middle-aged man. I'm fairly confident none of them were trying.

And no, I usually wear double socks but they were in the wash, so only 1 pair of med merinos. Wondered if that might explain the blisters. Thanks for the feedback.
The single socks were probably much of the cause of the blisters IMO. We actually favour triple socks and have walked several times now with no blisters. Ultra thin wicking liners, lightweight mohair middle and cushion sole mohair outer layers. Boots bought to fit that combination. In extreme heat (for us) swapping the middle pair for a second pair of the wicking liners worked.
Most folk seem to pass us, but we don't worry, walking at our own pace is more important. I was told years ago that walking faster than ones natural speed can ultimately damage the hips. Some walk fast, others slow - it is just as important to know your own comfortable speed as to get the footwear correct..

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Probably the lack of double socking :(

Actually the plan was 2.5 hrs but the added segment proved longer than expected. I don't know the distances which is a source of continual frustration. On the Canberra site you've recommended in previous posts, the training programme switches between times and distance walked. Not a simple matter to work out distances on a circuitous suburban walk.

Anyway, it's good to hear 30 min increase pw is a realistic goal, thanks.

I have used a simple pedometer (step counter) both on "training" walks and on the Camino. Once you have set it up to your step length etc. stick it in your pocket and it does give a good indication of distance etc. Cheap and cheerful to buy on Amazon etc!

Blessings on your "training"
Tio Tel

The single socks were probably much of the cause of the blisters IMO. We actually favour triple socks and have walked several times now with no blisters. Ultra thin wicking liners, lightweight mohair middle and cushion sole mohair outer layers. Boots bought to fit that combination.

I know there are a lot of people who swear by double or triple socks, but just wanted to stress Tia's recommendation that you make sure that the boots are big enough for all those socks. If you just add another sock to your current set-up you may find that what you've done is made your boots too small for your feet.

The two causes of blisters from shoes or boots are pressure and friction/rubbing, so we are kind of in a catch 22 position -- if the boots are too big, your feet will rub and you'll get blisters. If they are too small, the boots will cause pressure and you'll get blisters. It is really a question of finding that perfect combination, which can be frustrating but well worth it in the end. Buen camino, Laurie

Central Spain is dry. The fine dust that stirs as you walk plugs the mesh of the fine Gore-tex membrane and it continues to become even less effective.

You and I are pretty close in age, as I am 58 and I am planning my Camino in a year and a half. As a result, I have been doing a lot of research and this is what I have discovered:

The first couple of days out of St. Jean are rough no matter what shape you are in; But if you don't have some sort conditioning under your belt, they are exponentially worse. So, I am training, on all terrain and will be training with my backpack soon.

Good footwear and socks can't be praised enough.

I have used a simple pedometer (step counter) both on "training" walks and on the Camino. Once you have set it up to your step length etc. stick it in your pocket and it does give a good indication of distance etc. Cheap and cheerful to buy on Amazon etc!

Blessings on your "training"
Tio Tel

A pedometer is a great idea and a wonderful training and Camino tool. Spent the time in training to calibrate it and found that it was within 100 metres of our distance each day on the Camino. A useful tool for pacing ourselves i.e. should we have that second cafe con leche, do we have time to take more photos? Not how we usually like to travel but it really saved our Camino as we had intended to walk until we needed to stop but had to change our plans when our companion couldn't carry her pack and we needed to set daily destinations.

Exercise of any kind is helpful getting ready for the Camino. An added bonus is the immediate health benefits that you will and will not notice like lower cholesterol and lower blood pressures and sleeping better to name a few. Walking at work is good but is more like wind sprints, good for short daily distances. For the Camino you need to take long distance walks. I'll take daily 5 mile walks without stopping. I'll also do a few 8 and 10 miles walks with one short break. I'll do my walks with and with out my gear and I wear my Camino clothes. If there are no hills in your training that's OK. Your training should be about endurance. Think about it, walking the Camino is like running a half marathon with a load on your back 5 to 6 days a week for over 4 weeks. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

I walked in sandals from Lisbon but it was hot weather.

€60,-
For the Camino you need to take long distance walks.
While I agree that it is important to build up to the longer distances, just doing long walks is not necessarily the best preparation. There is a training program from Aussie Walks here to prepare for the walking marathon at the International Two Day Walk held in Canberra each year. Most of the weekday activities can be conducted on a local sports ground with a 400m track, and don't take more than an hour. Longer walks are limited to one day on the weekend. This is a reasonable pattern for someone who is working to follow.

Elsewhere on the linked site are similar training programs for preparing for shorter distances that are also worker friendly, or can easily be adapted to be so.

.....My question - do I need to do a lot of training before I go? I am relatively "tough" mentally, so I know I can handle it from that perspective....

I am 66 yr old, overweight, was not very active, have arthritic knees and did not train and I did complete in 40 days of walking with no blisters or injuries. The people I met who had bad blisters or injuries mostly tried to push themselves too hard, their shoes got too tight or they were carrying too much weight. What worked for me: 1. Get extra wide shoes, your feet swell at first but also flatten out over time. I had both thick and thin socks to adjust the fit as my feet got bigger. 2. Make your pack really light. The 10% body weight suggestion is not good. People like myself who are already overweight need less weight. I carried 5-6 kilos. 3. Start out slow- in the first days. I went only 10-15 km for about two weeks, sometimes even just 8k depending on the location of alburgues. Even though I thought I could go further and was anxious to do so, I didn't. I used the first 2 weeks to build my stamina and learn my limits. I saw people who were over excited at the beginning and tried to do too much, who got blisters and other. The one other thing I did was a luxury that not everyone can do. The toughest part is SJPP to Roncevalles. And it had several feet of snow when I started. I live at sea level in the southern US and I knew I couldn't cope with altitude, uphill or cold for the 17 km between Orisson and Roncevalles . So I started at Roncessvalles, walked to Compostella, then took the train/bus back to SJPP and walked the Pyranees stretch. This cost me two days of time and an extra 200€ for transportation and expenses. But I completed the full route, just differently! Total walking time 40 days, plus two days of transport back to SJPP. If you do start at SJPP, stop at Orisson (you need reservations, it fills up). And have your pack transported between Orisson and Roncesvalles. I didn't do that but wish I had, even though by then I was in better shape. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My friend Robyn and I did some serious training today. We walked around a few hiking shops and bought some new trekking sticks.

€60,-
By the end of the Norte they had fused from so much pressure being put on the joint. I could not pull them apart. I've bought new ones.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back