• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training advice.

GerFol

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018. Camino Frances
2014. Camino Portaguese
2016. Camino Primitivo
Hi all,
I'm 6 weeks away from starting the Camino Frances from SJPP. I'm in my 50"s and would have a reasonably good level of fitness. As long distance walking is a different discipline, over the past two months I've been walking three times per week, distances between 20KM and 30KM in each walk. These have left me absolutely exhausted and my body needs a day or so rest to recover. Knowing that I need to do these distances every day for 30+ days has me now a little worried. My dilemma is whether continuing these training walks will completely wear me out before I start or should I be increasing the frequency to improve walking fitness? I would be grateful for any advice from experienced Camino travellers.
Regards,
Gerard.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
These have left me absolutely exhausted and my body needs a day or so rest to recover. Knowing that I need to do these distances every day for 30+ days has me now a little worried. My dilemma is whether continuing these training walks will completely wear me out before I start or should I be increasing the frequency to improve walking fitness?
Expect to be worn out. I usually hit the wall about two weeks into a camino. You can choose to rest, or push through it. Regardless, stay well below the exhaustion point. If that means 10 to 15 km per day, then that is your limit, at least for a little while. Your muscles will recover, but your joint connective tissue, including shin splints, won't. Stay below your limit, and use ice (hielo) and anti-inflammatory medicine.

Guess when I walked caminos from this weight chart from my wifi scale:

upload_2014-7-15_9-1-45.png

Gerard,

Every pilgrim's training is different due to age, strength, experience, etc. Be sure to read what others and I have written in this current thread regarding fitness at the start.

However much you train do go easy once you begin to walk. Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that all will be. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Be a snail; slow but, determined.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all,
I'm 6 weeks away from starting the Camino Frances from SJPP. I'm in my 50"s and would have a reasonably good level of fitness. As long distance walking is a different discipline, over the past two months I've been walking three times per week, distances between 20KM and 30KM in each walk. These have left me absolutely exhausted and my body needs a day or so rest to recover. Knowing that I need to do these distances every day for 30+ days has me now a little worried. My dilemma is whether continuing these training walks will completely wear me out before I start or should I be increasing the frequency to improve walking fitness? I would be grateful for any advice from experienced Camino travellers.
Regards,
Gerard.

Hi all,
Regards,
Gerard.

Gerard:

When you do your training walks, are you taking breaks? On the Frances you can easily take a break every 10 km's. Have a coffee, soft drink, lunch etc. You can take off your boots, massage your feet or just enjoy being out in the countryside. The key in my opinion is walking at your pace. Listen to your body. One great thing about the Frances is that it provides the opportunity to stop frequently.

I would recommend you stay at Orisson the first night and walk shorter days in the beginning until your body is in Camino shape and save the 30km days for the Meseta.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Hello Gerald:
I have no words of wisdom for you because I am older and probably far less fit. For myself, however, I have decided to do what I can, when I can, and then let the Camino guide me. Having a full-time job really cuts into walking time, and although I feel that I can walk distances, the hills are a bit of a slow slog.

I am taking a new and different attitude towards this entire training program. The stress and worry of whether or not I will be fit enough (and I most likely will NOT be fit enough) will do it's own damage. I will do the best I can, I will have a wonderful adventure, and I will probably not leave my tired old bones along The Way.

Best of luck - I hope to see you there - our timing is similar.

Diane

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all,
Regards,
Gerard.
Gerard, I find that 5 km per day, brisk walk, and a 12-15 km full hike on the weekend is good for me (I'm 66). Keeps me fit and in shape without exhaustion. We're some 70 days away from our next Camino. As we get closer, I'll up the distance. Of course, I'm dealing with Summer in Central Florida now.
Don't over train. Buena Suerte.

I have just over two months to go and am starting to worry a bit. I walk 5 km several times per week but have not started the longer distances on weekends yet. Your comments make sense, you do what you can. Staying healthy these next two months is key. Right now my body is telling me not to overdo it...

You don't need to do the full distances in training. A pattern I follow is on five days do about an hour's walking, and then on one weekend day do increasingly longer distances, until you are doing the distances you will walk on the Camino. On the last couple of weekends before you leave, do two days in a row, say 30 km on one day, 20 km on the next.

If you are doing 20-30 km three times a week now, you might try giving that a rest, and try walking shorter distances on most days. I also found that doing my hour's exercise first thing in the morning stood me in good stead for rolling out of bed each morning on the camino and getting ready to walk.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't know how this sounds to the experts but this is how I plan to walk my first three sessions of walking.

1) SJPdP - Pamplona then a rest day there - daily distances in km: 12 -13 -10- 17 -15 - total for those days 67km -avg per diem 13.4km
2) Pamplona - Logrono then a rest day there - daily distances - 14 -15 -22 - 21 - 18 - total 100 - avg p.d. 20
3) Logrono - Burgos then a rest day there - daily distances - 20 -31 - 23 - 23 -24 -26 - total 147 - avg p.d. 24.5

I will, of course, have done some preliminary walking but, if you like, those are my "real" training days before the rest of the Camino.

Thoughts and comments very welcome!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Diane,

I agree with your attitude! We have been doing training walks with our packs and we are taking Spanish classes. We will give each other support while we are on The Way. We are planning to leave SJPP on August 28th.

Thank you all for the good advice. Taking your views into consideration and listening to my own body, I think I will reduce the distances for the next few weeks. I do take breaks but most of my training is done solo but I'm confident that good conversation with friends I've yet to meet along the way will keep me encouraged and energetic for the journey. I arrive in SJPP on Aug 27th and begin on 28th.
Regards,
Gerard.

I found the walking the Camino to be generally easier than my training walks, and I think most of it was mental. With the training walks, I always had a specific goal and some kind of time limit (because of course you have to work your training in around your normal life). When training, I would plot my route and walk fast to knock it out. I put pressure on my self. On the Camino my plan would be that I want to get to about X today, which is 22 km from here - but because I had nothing else to do that day, and I'd start walking at like 7am, the mental picture was entirely different. No pressure. I didn't have to walk fast because I had all day to get there. I would stop for a coffee in this little town, an ice cream or a Kas Limon in another, hey check out this cool little church, let's go in and have a stamp and a prayer, oh look my friends are outside this bar, I'll stop and chat for a bit, there is a road side stand with juice and fruit, let's stop...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We're leaving in 7 weeks and are doing 2 long walks per week (17 - 20 km). Along with this we are doing 4 shorter walks during the week (5-14km) and one rest day. Our bodies seem to be getting more used to these long walks and recovery time less. Yesterday we planned on walking only 7 to 9 km but ended up walking 12 and it was like a walk in the park. Just remember... while you are on the Camino, once you stop for the day all you will have to do is shower, wash out your undies, take a nap, walk around town and eat and drink with fellow perigrinos. Sleep should come easy for a long restful night.:)

I just want to reiterate what november_moon said. I found walking on the Camino much easier than my training walks, even though few of my training walks were as long as my average Camino day. On the Camino I had beautiful scenery to look at, new friends to talk to, and was always a short distance from the next cup of coffee, meal stop, or day's destination. Also, the dirt paths are much easier on the feet and legs! Although I worried before my Camino that my longish weekend hikes and occasional weekday walks were not enough training, i did not have any trouble walking 20-25 k.per day on the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I might be a strange bird regarding the training bit - but here's my tale - as told by an experienced porch-potato who is not known as the most active person (aside from flamenco dancing and some internal martial art bits) -
Of course I aimed to train - have a li'l lake near by, 1 mile round-about; trail and asphalt surface mixed. So I've done a few of those when I had time. The larger lake was 3 miles round-about, all on asphalt. Did a few of those.
But whenever I aimed to increase those, I either got mega sick or sailed down some library stairs and had to take it slow again.
Kind of a predicament - here were all those post with the diligent training-for-the-camino folks, while I was wondering why my training wasn't taking off and i was often in the horizontal or at the chiro.
Departure date arrived and off I went with some trepidation. What was i thinking? Took 3 days in Lisbon ... and then the walking started.
ARIAT boots, double-socks, body-glide, hiking poles, backpack approx 8kg, who knows exactly. Was fluctuating all the time anyway due to water/food packing.

Overall I was definitely "Squadra Lumaca" Team Snail. Took it really slow ... on purpose. and with relish!
11km first day (all asphalt)
16 km second day (mostly field tracks, some asphalt)
and then my body claimed a 'rest day'. and i happily obliged. My gait was strictly wobble-walk; probably looked like a daughter of a SumoWrestler who had John Wayne as a Godfather. Well...you get the picture ... But was so glad that I listened to my body and rested.
The third walking day was about 16km again...and all was well.
Eventually my body gained strength and endurance and confidence and I walked up to 27km on one day (inspired by my "teutonic turbo team", a father and son who i befriended somewhere between Ansiaio and Rabacal who were truly long distance walking champs, in my book for sure!!)
But mostly it was around 21km , sometimes more.
It suited me fine ... I had nothing to proof, no agenda, no 'dragon's to slay' - so what if i was the last one out off the albergue?

Also followed my ancient alpine hiking rule: walk about 50-60 min, then REST. Walk another 50-60 min, then REST. Have longer breaks for lunch etc.
I was soo astounded to learn and to experience that I trained ON the caminho - in my case it worked.
Not one blister, no shin-thingys (forgot what they are called) Never used a single band-aid. But gave myself plenty of foot and calf massages, legs up the walls, good rest.... powdered magnesium and such goodies.
It was walking, resting, walking, resting in this 50min 10 min rhythm. It worked. But everyone is different .... just be gentle with yourself.

While walking on the caminho i sometimes thought that the only way you "properly" could train for this walking every day WITH the backpack ...is by walking everyday at home with the backpack for several hours as well. Only then would one really feel exactly like walking the caminho, everything else is 'ersatz' - not quite the same. An approximation. Like hugging a pillow and hugging a lover can never quite feel the same, nevermind how fancy that pillow might be.
Keep your common sense, be flexible with some endurance ... and start slow. and with a backpack that does not burden. Easy does it and less is more.
Enjoy the preparation -- very best wishes, Claudia

Hi all,
Regards,
Gerard.
Hi Gerard
I just finished walking mid June this year and I'm 60. I didn't do any real training before I went - just 1 hour each day on a cross-trainer as I had a broken foot which was needing time to repair. Of all the people I met on the way who were having leg or feet issues was because they were doing too many kilometres too soon. I started off by staying in Orisson on the first day and then walked between 12 - 15kms each day for the first weeks and then 15-20kms after that, then 20-30kms the last few weeks. I also stopped every 5kms and took my boots and socks off and cooled my feet down as they were very hot. I took the opportunity to slow down and enjoy the walking and talk to people, have a drink and enjoy!! A lot of people had severe blisters either on their toes, the soft area under their large toes or on their heels. A lot had duck tape on their feet. A lot had shin splints or Achilles soreness from walking down the steep sections. (I even thought as I was walking along that there may not be any training you could do that would prepare your body for these) But a lot didn't have any issues at all. As with the other peregrine's replies - be kind on your body, listen to its complaints as to ignore them could bring about an unnecessarily painful journey. My pack weighed 13kgs ( I now weigh 62kgs) which I managed ok but try to have your pack less - I've heard people suggest 10% of your body weight.
I didn't get one blister; in fact I really enjoyed every 36 day even though I was tired at the end of each day. I did feel I had shin splints after going down the big hills so took shorter steps the next few days and took some nurofen zavance to work through the pain. I wish you a fabulous walk! Cheers Helen

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I just want to reiterate what november_moon said. I found walking on the Camino much easier than my training walks, even though few of my training walks were as long as my average Camino day. On the Camino I had beautiful scenery to look at, new friends to talk to, and was always a short distance from the next cup of coffee, meal stop, or day's destination. Also, the dirt paths are much easier on the feet and legs! Although I worried before my Camino that my longish weekend hikes and occasional weekday walks were not enough training, i did not have any trouble walking 20-25 k.per day on the Camino.
It is easier than training at home it think because you are not worrying about the day to day life and having to fit work in etc. Just walk. So much nicer I think. :)

What works for me is to walk the first days the distances which are ok for me (around 20 km's). After 2nd day I start to feel already more tired. On the 3th day I do a short distance (like 10km's with sleeping in, do lot's of coffee and arrive early). I then still stay in the rhythm of walking, but it gives my body time to recover. The day after I feel fresh again and also feel already much more used to walking, 20 kms starts to be easy; camino really begins! After two weeks 25-30 kms can be fine.

I wouldn't worry too much either. A man often suffers most from the suffering he fears. :)
Go and see. Your only enemy can be your own assumptions about what you ought to do. The camino provides, also blisters and other painful things when one pushes too much... :cool:

Buon camino!

Last edited:
Hi Gerard,
Have you consulted a physician to see what she might thing about your level of fitness for such a walk? If you are left absolutely exhausted and in need of a day of rest after walking between 2o and 30 kilometers you might want to seek expert advice. Have your training walks been with your fully loaded backpack, including water?

Also be aware that in many respects we are carried by those walking with us in the sense that the collective energy of those walking around us actually helps us to keep going.

Good luck!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Below I have "filleted" amorfati/Claudia with whom I am in agreement

As she was, so I intend to be

definitely "Squadra Lumaca" Team Snail. [B said:
Took it really slow ... on purpose. and with relish![/B]
11km first day
16 km second day
and then my body claimed a 'rest day'.

For which see my proposed schedule above.
I will do preliminary walking prior to arriving in SJPdP.

But I have NO intention of walking a Camino before walking the Camino just to prove I can walk a Camino!

And Claudia I love your simile about the pillow:)

Last edited:
Like hugging a pillow and hugging a lover can never quite feel the same, nevermind how fancy that pillow might be.
Keep your common sense, be flexible with some endurance ... and start slow. and with a backpack that does not burden. Easy does it and less is more.
Enjoy the preparation -- very best wishes, Claudia[/QUOTE]
I love this, Claudia. I agree. I don't weigh all my stuff, I just walk with it on short wAlks and see how it feels. After all, the 'ancient' pilgrims never bothered weighing their stuff.
Cheers, grace

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

There are a few very important things you are all missing. To fully enjoy the Camino you must get your body into shape and prepared for what can be some very gruelling challenges:

(1) cafe con leche - train by visiting a coffee shop every few mornings for a month before you leave. Ask for a latte but ensure that the milk is heated to scalding point. You should be able to increase your consumption until at least two a day.
(2) gradually replace bacon and eggs or cereal for breakfast with refined flour, sugar and fat. Get to the point where you can at least tolerate a media luna or madrileña. Real athletes can face chocolate with churros. During the first days of the Camino you should take it slowly, so an occasional tortilla español is advisable.
(3) push the envelope by delaying lunch a little more each day until 2 or 3pm feels comfortable. When you are in the swing of that time zone, practice assiduously by having 3 courses, accompanied by a glass of red wine. Take a nap afterwards.
(4) your body needs plenty of sleep on Camino and you need to be inured to a sound level roughly equivalent to a jackhammer, interspersed with cannon shot. It is hard to duplicate this off Camino, but I suggest camping out in the house of a friend with twin babies suffering colic and nightmares.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all,
Regards,
Gerard.
Hello,
I wouldn't bother doing 30km training walks. After 16 miles you are no longer doing any good, only causing minor damage and wear.
Do walk about 6 to 8 miles every morning, every day, starting at the same time in the morning, preferably before sunrise, and no matter what the weather is doing. Especially no matter the weather.
Gradually you will find that this regime does not tire you out in an unpleasant way but in an enjoyable way, it will also give you more energy as your heart and lungs etc. get daily exercise and work well.
Do not carry your backpack or any weights when training.
You want to strengthen your body in its natural posture and not whilst its hunched up and struggling under weight.
On the camino carry a very light pack with just one change of clothes, a small old old old towel, a fleece and light rain poncho, hat, anything else is extra weight.
At weekends find a decent hill or smaller mountain, walk a couple of miles on the flat then go up the mountain and finish off with a couple more miles on the flat.

This all trains your mind and your person as well as the body to just get up and go at a certain time no matter if you feel like it or not or if the weather is bad or not.
There may be times on long distance walks where the only thing stopping you from curling up and dying is a stupid and stubborn brain. Train it to continue.
I find I prefer walking in extremes of weather simply because of walking no matter what the weather. Extreme heat, extreme rain, extreme wind. Is just so much more interesting and lively. It passes the time too. But I have trained myself to be impervious to boring cloudy days also.

And I wish you well, and enjoy your holiday.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do not carry your backpack or any weights when training.
You want to strengthen your body in its natural posture and not whilst its hunched up and struggling under weight.
I agree with your idea of minimizing external factors, but the Camino is not the right place to discover for the first time the stresses on neck, shoulder, back, hip, and thighs from a pack. Walk with your pack fully loaded for enough times to know what to expect, and to strengthen the actual muscles that will carry/balance the backpack load. Even fifteen pounds is not a trivial amount to carry for six to eight hours a day for a month!

We leave Madrid on the 28th, so you'll likely be ahead of us by a day or two. And, since you're taking Spanish lessons, you'll be swiftly on you way while my daughter and I wander around, hopelessly lost. All part of the adventure, I suppose.
I wish you safe travels, and hopefully, we'll meet along the way. We are all blessed to be doing this.......

Regards,
Diane
:D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,
Regards,
Gerard.
Why do you think you have to start at SJPP? It is dangerous and not very enjoyable to push yourself beyond the point of exhaustion in order to complete the "full" camino. (Really? Traditionally, pilgrims walked out their front door and started walking, who says the camino starts there?) Why don't you start at Burgos and take your time, 15 to 20 km a day instead. The one thing that you should really practice for are the very steep descents as this is something that few talk about but it can be the breaking point. This is the test of how well your boots really fit, and how well you knees and shins are going to hold up. Keep up the consistant training, but shorter distances, and take lots of breaks. Also hydration can be key, drinking a minimum half litre an hour will keep your muscles happy. Good luck!

Hi all,
Regards,
Gerard.
Hi Gerard,

Wow !!! I'm exhausted just reading some of the pre-Camino preparation walks of my fellow Peregrinos !!!! I am loathe to advise anyone on how they should prepare so I will just relate what my 'regime' was :

Monday - Friday I simply walked into work in the morning (8kms) and in the evening walked part of the way home (4km).Every 2nd weekend then I did one 'long' walk of approx 12-14kms.On my weekend walk I wore my rucksack filled up with a few bits & bobs coming to about 5-6 kilos in weight.This was just to get used to some type of continuous carrying of weight on my back and getting the straps adjusted correctly so everyting felt comfortable.Not being the ahem...........'leanest' of pilgrims I found that the best thing I did when prepering for my second Camino was to just concentrate on dropping a little weight.I did not go mad but when I returned to the Camino in 2013 I was about 9lbs lighter that when I first went in 2011 and the difference this made to my knees and general fitness was immense !!!

In the end what worked for me was small modest distances walking in and out to work , a litte bit of practice with my ruck sack at the weekend and really making sure that my boots and socks were well 'broken in' (probably the MOST important preparation).

I hope this is of some assistance and will ease any worries you might have.

Buen Camino
Peadar

Hi all,
Regards,
Gerard.

I'm impressed you've had the fortitude to do lengthy training walks three times a week. I have never been able to do that. Fortunately, I don't think it is necessary to replicate the camino walking experience prior to doing it. Walking four or five miles a day, five times a week gets me in adequate shape. When it comes to walking the Camino itself, the breaks along the way, the coffee stops, the stunning and different scenery, the excitement of the adventure, the pleasures of each new little town all make the distance manageable day after day. After a hard day on the trail, you might feel worn out the next day, especially at the very beginning of the the day, but once you get a mile or two under your belt, you'll feel remarkably better. Don't be discouraged by that worn out feeling -- it's only temporary.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Expect to be worn out. I usually hit the wall about two weeks into a camino. You can choose to rest, or push through it. Regardless, stay well below the exhaustion point. If that means 10 to 15 km per day, then that is your limit, at least for a little while. Your muscles will recover, but your joint connective tissue, including shin splints, won't. Stay below your limit, and use ice (hielo) and anti-inflammatory medicine.

Guess when I walked caminos from this weight chart from my wifi scale:

View attachment 11451
Hi Gerard,
I'm 64 and this will be my first camino. When I train, I walk continuously for 3 to 5 hours. One thing that helps is to stop and rest every hour or two. Even if you stop for an hour to rest or eat, this will help. Also, don't push too much in the beginning. Try not to increase your distance more than about 10% per week. Ease your body into it. And yes, I get very tired after a long walk. Good luck. Buen Camino.

There are a few very important things you are all missing. To fully enjoy the Camino you must get your body into shape and prepared for what can be some very gruelling challenges:

(1) cafe con leche - train by visiting a coffee shop every few mornings for a month before you leave. Ask for a latte but ensure that the milk is heated to scalding point. You should be able to increase your consumption until at least two a day.
(2) gradually replace bacon and eggs or cereal for breakfast with refined flour, sugar and fat. Get to the point where you can at least tolerate a media luna or madrileña. Real athletes can face chocolate with churros. During the first days of the Camino you should take it slowly, so an occasional tortilla español is advisable.
(3) push the envelope by delaying lunch a little more each day until 2 or 3pm feels comfortable. When you are in the swing of that time zone, practice assiduously by having 3 courses, accompanied by a glass of red wine. Take a nap afterwards.
(4) your body needs plenty of sleep on Camino and you need to be inured to a sound level roughly equivalent to a jackhammer, interspersed with cannon shot. It is hard to duplicate this off Camino, but I suggest camping out in the house of a friend with twin babies suffering colic and nightmares.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Diane,

I agree with your attitude! We have been doing training walks with our packs and we are taking Spanish classes. We will give each other support while we are on The Way. We are planning to leave SJPP on August 28th.
Diane! We will be departing SJPDP on August 28 also! Stephanie Winslow and Dan Moore. Probably not until about 11 am or so as we want to relax in the am, enjoy the town a bit, get stamped and buy walking sticks and hopefully a scallop shell! We stop in Orisson our first night. Going over the mountain slowly and carefully. Hope to meet you!

Hi all,
Regards,
Gerard.

Sometimes on the Camino in the middle of the night I would wake up and think there was no way I would be able to walk in the morning. I could feel my feet throbbing, and I would feel exhausted. But remarkably, each morning I felt better, and once I got moving, I felt better yet!

Why do you believe you need to walk so far every day? This is a once in a lifetime shot. Do you really want to rush it? It is a spectacular journey. Slow down, drop the agenda. If you don't make it in a certain time, finish where you are and go back another day. This is not a contest. I walk a mile or 2 daily during the week and on weekends I climb one of the peaks in the Green Mountains. This is in no way anywhere near what I'm up against walking The Way. It's OK.... It's the journey NOT the destination that's important. Just breathe........ Take this walk one breath at a time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Buen Camino!
I LOVE this reply! Made me laugh. My cousin and I (both late 50's) arrive in SJPP August 30, setting out September 1st. I've been doing lots of training, just now adding weight to the pack. I train in wilderness, with intermittent stretches along a local golf course. I pretend the 10th hole snack shack is a cafe. I pretend the trail maps are yellow arrows. I should be good to go with (3)... we have a wine cellar to prove it . I should be also be ready to go re (4); my husband and dog have given me lots of practice with that one! Have a wonderful day! It seems many of the replies to this post are setting out roughly the same time we are. Look out for two Canadian cousins who laugh a lot.

Buen Camino!

Kanga, that is hilarious...although very true! Coffee stops and picnics were integral to our training regime.
We spent 12 days on the camino last year in August, SJPP to Belorado. Our training began in January and as mentioned by others, had to be fit in around our life (darned work!). I continued my regular fitness routine of jazzercise classes and my husband and I did walks of increasing length on the weekend (most were 14-18 kilometres) and a couple of shorter walks 5-10 kilometres during the week. He also walks to and from work daily but that is only about 3K round trip. We thought it important to include some hill training, varied terrain, and wear packs to allow our muscles to adapt to them. Oh! And in my case start using my poles so that I could develop some sort of rhythm as opposed to looking like a flailing stick insect! The longest distances we did were two separate days of about 22 kilometres each. Coincidentally they turned out to be on very hot days for our area - 30 celcius in Victoria, BC Canada so we felt that it gave us a better idea of what we were in for. For us it was important to feel prepared physically and mentally, at least as much as one can. My husband has Ankylosing Spondilitis, which is a type of arthritis. As prepared as we felt it is difficult to replicate (nor would I want to) the day after day stress on your body in that kind of heat. We probably carried too many socks but trying to find the correct combo to minimize foot problems was an ongoing experiment. By day 9 I had developed a shin problem and by our last day it was clear that had we been continuing I would have needed some rest time. Once on the camino you may find that some days you will be carried along by the camino spirit, and other days will require sheer will power to get you to the next stop. Part of my training was trying very hard to enjoy the walk and not view it as a chore to Mark off on a list. We have now visited many beautiful trails in our area that we had never been to prior to our camino preparations. It sounds like you have the fitness level necessary so please be careful not to overtrain and injure yourself before you go. We plan to return next August for a longer camino so I will have to be sure to heed my own advice.
Buen Camino!

Sometimes on the Camino in the middle of the night I would wake up and think there was no way I would be able to walk in the morning. I could feel my feet throbbing, and I would feel exhausted. But remarkably, each morning I felt better, and once I got moving, I felt better yet!

This is common for me too, especially at the start. It is amazing how the body recuperates over-night.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I could tell you how long and how far I train but it wouldn't make sense to most. Each person has their own body, their own age, their own past experiences.

I think the best advice I could give is to start walking like 6 months before you head out. Walk for a distance each day, or every other day, that is beyond your ordinary routine (not too much). Pay attention to your body, especially in the early days... if there is any joint pain, slow down, rest.

As the weeks progress, progress your distances, so that you never push it too hard, but continue to go further. Your effort level should stay the same, but the distances covered will increase as your general fitness increases as well.

Steadily increase the effort. After a month or two or three, maybe find a hill. Walk up it.

If you are going to use trekking poles, get them early, and practice with them regularly. Trekking poles distribute the effort away from your poor knees, and actually build upper body strength.

Maybe two months away from your departure date, do a long one (what that means is up to you) on a weekend. How do you feel?

Rest. Take a week. Rest.

Now start wearing a pack, first put a five pound bag of flour in it.

Continue to train. Just push yourself a little further, each time you go / week. Record and measure your progress. Make sure any pain is rested. Pay attention to waistlines and how your clothes feel. Maybe a month before you go wear your actual Camino pack with your actual planned possessions. Remember slow and gradual.

1 week before you head out. Stop training.

Reexamine everything you are packing. Cut down the weight.

Day 1 always still kicks my ass.

I feel somewhat embarrassed writing this because it is my method only and I recognize that others may have better plans about how to train for the camino. I first did the Camino in 2005 with my mother (55 years old) , and I have no doubt she would have benefitted from the advice I have given here.

This seems like an old post, so I am sure most of this has been rehashed multiple times, and this is not a training advise per se, but I wish someone has given me this advise before my Camino:
"Walk in the boot/shoe you intended to wear for at least 40km within a week, and if you feel any hot spots on your foot change/modify your foot wear before you head out to Camino!"

The only things I'd add/change.

Start with an empty pack. Start early. Then add your water bottle. Then your snacks. During your training walk you'll be drinking the water and eating those snacks. So the pack will be lighter on the return trip.

About ten to fourteen days before you leave stop training. Shut down and just rest and recover. Heal up.

I know Kanga was trying to lighten things up but don't starve yourself. No matter how much we all want to lose weight if you're training better to eat for the training. Low calories don't go well with high exercise levels.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
GerFol What a wonderful seminar on Preparing for el Camino. It lays out before you, the essentials. Positive Attitude, Mental conditioning, adding distances in increments, listen to your body, consistency and discipline, being reasonable while adventurous.

I would add Minimize the references to age. I see people saying: "getting old- 55, advanced age-60, maybe my body is not up to it-45, not as young as I used to be- pushing 48 now". How much of that is a set-up for not doing well, or even for failure. I really do not know what age is "old" or what "elderly" us. My wife and I walk 2 + miles every day and many days I stretch that out to 5. We often bike together some 6 to 20 miles. We play Pickleball and Tennis. I have been riding a bike regularly for many years, so it is not out of ordinary to do 30-60 miles a couple of times a week, and I am not special nor Superman. It is priority setting, and focusing.....plus having a partner to do it with from time to time.
A few weeks after we finish this Camino, Donna and I will be 77yrs, and THAT is not old nor elderly. The point is...possibilities are enormous , and what you can or can't do is not set by the calendar. Expect to do more than you think.
Give attention to all these good words of counsel, and be hopeful.

GerFol What a wonderful seminar on Preparing for el Camino. It lays out before you, the essentials. Positive Attitude, Mental conditioning, adding distances in increments, listen to your body, consistency and discipline, being reasonable while adventurous.

I would add Minimize the references to age. I see people saying: "getting old- 55, advanced age-60, maybe my body is not up to it-45, not as young as I used to be- pushing 48 now". How much of that is a set-up for not doing well, or even for failure. I really do not know what age is "old" or what "elderly" us. My wife and I walk 2 + miles every day and many days I stretch that out to 5. We often bike together some 6 to 20 miles. We play Pickleball and Tennis. I have been riding a bike regularly for many years, so it is not out of ordinary to do 30-60 miles a couple of times a week, and I am not special nor Superman. It is priority setting, and focusing.....plus having a partner to do it with from time to time.
A few weeks after we finish this Camino, Donna and I will be 77yrs, and THAT is not old nor elderly. The point is...possibilities are enormous , and what you can or can't do is not set by the calendar. Expect to do more than you think.
Give attention to all these good words of counsel, and be hopeful.
Way to go Don!!! BTW, we are in Dryden just on the other side of Ithaca. Have a Buen Camino!

I would add Minimize the references to age. I see people saying: "getting old- 55, advanced age-60, maybe my body is not up to it-45, not as young as I used to be- pushing 48 now". How much of that is a set-up for not doing well, or even for failure. I really do not know what age is "old" or what "elderly" us.
Expect to do more than you think.
I love the can-do attitude, but there are effects from aging.:) If you minimize them, you also can set-up for not doing well. More is not better. Do not expect to do more than you think. Some can do more than others at any age, but that does not make anyone young again. Accept some slowing and some limits, and success is nearly assured.:cool:

I love the can-do attitude, but there are effects from aging.:) If you minimize them, you also can set-up for not doing well. More is not better. Do not expect to do more than you think. Some can do more than others at any age, but that does not make anyone young again. Accept some slowing and some limits, and success is nearly assured.:cool:

Well said friend. Looking at arenas beyond physical activity, my experience is that many persons underestimate their abilities when it comes to creativity, problem solving, and having a positive effect on others, and the world around them.
You are correct, more is not better, as Weekend Warriors find out with strains, injuries and discouragement. but taking a risk sensibly. While one won't ever become younger in body, it is possible to be renewed in mind and spirit. Isn't that the promise of spirituality?
For me, those who put things in balance, remembering the sisters Sophia as in Wisdom, and Sarah as in Serendipity, being open.....can do much much more than they ever imagined or desired. I was never very good in sprints, but the long run course is where I found a place.

Hi all,
Regards,
Gerard.

I was of the opinion while half way through the Camino that you can't really train for this sort of thing. Stretching and foot care were the most important things that worked for me and taking it slow. I also would completely stop training a week before the trip to make sure your muscles are completely healed and not over worked from exercise. I think the advice above is excellent just make sure you stretch your legs and walking poles help take the stress of your joints - at least I found they did. Honestly I don't know how much you can improve your condition in 6 weeks. Might be better to stick to your training and make sure you are well rested before you start.

Buen Camino!

I was of the opinion while half way through the Camino that you can't really train for this sort of thing. Stretching and foot care were the most important things that worked for me and taking it slow. I also would completely stop training a week before the trip to make sure your muscles are completely healed and not over worked from exercise. I think the advice above is excellent just make sure you stretch your legs and walking poles help take the stress of your joints - at least I found they did. Honestly I don't know how much you can improve your condition in 6 weeks. Might be better to stick to your training and make sure you are well rested before you start.

Buen Camino!
I went to Cortland State Teachers College, NYS, and there was a good reputation for
Phys Education, performance and for coaching.
Sounds like solid advice and what I think a good coach would advise .
Slow,careful methodical training, persistent, with an eye on proper rest, and diet. Attitude was essential as well as goals. I didn't major in Phys Ed, but in rather in Recreation Education, and that encouraged Life Long Activities, including sports for the individual and groups. Canoeing, Survival, Hiking, Enviornmental, and Outdoor Education was emphasized, but we never heard of, nor imagined the activities such as Camino.
There was a cultural pull toward sports which rewarded competitive, perfection and winning.
Your wise coach-like advice is Be Not Anxious, take time to stretch , rest, give time for the body to heal, take care of your feet.
What a pleasant head/heart change brings us to this time, and a Forum. Much of it is about building Community, helping, the journey inward as well as outward. To me, walking the Camino doesn't make us a Pilgrim, it is the inner sense that we were Peregrinos long before, at birth. We are pilgrims at birth, as we travel through and as we move from this earthly Camino.
Nice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don Huff, you are an inspiration, wonderful positive mental attitude, what is age but just a number? As that great Irish orator Oscar Wilde wrote 'some day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure its worth watching'. Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I can't wait to get started.
Regards,
Gerard.

Buen Camino!
I'm starting on the Le Puy route in France, can't wait to find out if I've "practiced" enough. Looking forward to the yummi food :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Buen Camino!
Kanga, I love this - put a smile on my face.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ah, for the Le Puy route there is a different training schedule. My suggestions:

(1) Practise walking in a roundabout and geographically haphazard manner, always ensuring you climb every hill, no matter how illogical in terms of your ultimate destination. The French have a religious attitude to beautiful views.
(2) You may have to walk to Le Puy, as well as home. Learn Google search techniques for unusual forms of transport - eg canal boats and donkeys. The French rail system delights in pulling unexpected stoppages.
(3) Expect severe stress on your liver. The only way to really prepare is to immerse yourself in classic cooking books such as "Oh for a French Wife" (a particular favourite from the 1960s) or Elizabeth David's "French Provincial Cooking".
(4) Learn self control. The French delight in argument and logic but consider it impolite to put an opposing view.
(5) Your evening meal will always, without exception, involve some body part from a duck. Imagining technique is very helpful; practise believing that different bits of duck are from other animals. And that duck fat is actually healthy.
(6) Each meal at la table Française has many heats before the final, so remember to ease into each - do not overdo the first, second or even third or you will have to take the bus and bypass the fourth, fifth and sixth stage - and never know what you missed.
(7) At every meal your host will say the following: "we are serving the the speciality of this region. It is ......" And it will be either cassoulet, aligot, lentilles, or pork. As you will be in the same region for 3 or 4 days, you will get the same dish for 3 or 4 meals. Each delicious. Of course, you will still get duck as well, in some form or other. And probably cheese.

Enjoy!

This seems like an old post, so I am sure most of this has been rehashed multiple times, and this is not a training advise per se, but I wish someone has given me this advise before my Camino:
"Walk in the boot/shoe you intended to wear for at least 40km within a week, and if you feel any hot spots on your foot change/modify your foot wear before you head out to Camino!"

JnLee, there is something in your advice...about the 40k which attracts my attention and appeals to me....maybe the formula, perhaps the design or reasonable approach. It is methodical in a Sea of Try This and That, and maybe a little of that could help.
Based in your advice, I can see my trying to do the 40k this week, which comes out in miles to be a 6, and 8 and a 10 miler.....rounding it out to 40k. Note that after some 30 years in the past as a runner in 5k and 10k events...... Right now as a Road Biker, I find it easier to think in terms of miles...since there are fixed points of miles. My boots will know the difference betwixt mile and K.
Let see if there be any hot spots on my feet in my boots.

Gerard, I find that 5 km per day, brisk walk, and a 12-15 km full hike on the weekend is good for me (I'm 66). Keeps me fit and in shape without exhaustion. We're some 70 days away from our next Camino. As we get closer, I'll up the distance. Of course, I'm dealing with Summer in Central Florida now.
Don't over train. Buena Suerte.
Hey Capt
Sounds like a solid training regimen. I'm leaving from Boston on 9/23 and plan to begin the Camino on 9/26 when will you be starting?

JnLee, there is something in your advice...about the 40k which attracts my attention and appeals to me....maybe the formula, perhaps the design or reasonable approach. It is methodical in a Sea of Try This and That, and maybe a little of that could help.
Based in your advice, I can see my trying to do the 40k this week, which comes out in miles to be a 6, and 8 and a 10 miler.....rounding it out to 40k. Note that after some 30 years in the past as a runner in 5k and 10k events...... Right now as a Road Biker, I find it easier to think in terms of miles...since there are fixed points of miles. My boots will know the difference betwixt mile and K.
Let see if there be any hot spots on my feet in my boots.

JnLee just got back from a nice 8.3 mile
And realized that it gave me about total 35 miles, of which 25 miles (40k) were in this week... So checked for
Any hot spots in my feet. All was well, but along the way I felt this little discomfort in my left boot. Took it off and glad I did. Expected to find a pebble, but there was a crisp, sharp cinder, turning the sick inside out, a piece of that nylon thread they use to hold the sales label on socks and underwear....almost invisible, but gouging a place on my foot!
Message, don't blame every discomfort on the boot.....look harder.
So I feel fine, and endurance up, not sure if I will walk many 10 or 12 mile treks. We will see, doing maintenance walks is good.
It occurs to me that walkers, just as runners, need to stretch their legs after exercises, and
I don't to see it mentioned. It helps get rid of the Lactic Acid in the legs, which can lead to sore muscles ......read about it and exercise.

My advice is take the first 4 - 5 days easy. Everyone I have seen with bad blisters or other injuries is because they did to much to soon. You're quite right, walking those distances with weight on your back is tiring and without proper rest we are more likely to injure ourselves. I can't stress enough how important it is to find your own pace and stop for a break regularly ( I generally went for 2 hours or 10kms whichever came first!)
I've just finished my second Camino today! I'm 56 average fitness - if I can do it anyone can!!
Good luck and Buen Camino

My advice is take the first 4 - 5 days easy. Everyone I have seen with bad blisters or other injuries is because they did to much to soon. You're quite right, walking those distances with weight on your back is tiring and without proper rest we are more likely to injure ourselves. I can't stress enough how important it is to find your own pace and stop for a break regularly ( I generally went for 2 hours or 10kms whichever came first!)
I've just finished my second Camino today! I'm 56 average fitness - if I can do it anyone can!!
Good luck and Buen Camino

Appreciate you words of advice and encouragement Katiemac

Finished one step along your lifelong Pilgrim way
You came back for a second helping
left your imprints in the sand
and a piece of your heart
to the community on the move
You gave gentle nurturing words of guidance
For those who may not see imprints of your own.

!Buen Camino!
!Ultreya!

We have a guest staying with us and I am suffering from training walk withdrawal !! By the time we walk the dog it has been a long enough walk for our guest....but.....I am not getting my daily Camino fix !! It is amazing just how much I am missing my walking clothes, backpack, boots and staff. I hope that feeling lasts for two months in Spain! Buen Camino

We have a guest staying with us and I am suffering from training walk withdrawal !! By the time we walk the dog it has been a long enough walk for our guest....but.....I am not getting my daily Camino fix !! It is amazing just how much I am missing my walking clothes, backpack, boots and staff. I hope that feeling lasts for two months in Spain! Buen Camino

That is such a good way to feel
And you express the joy of it.
Some see walking as a necessary evil
Some see walking as punishment in life
There are so many in the world who are
Fleeing war, hunger, political oppression,Survival.

Our walking us at another level, beyond
just endorphins
and feeling good.
There is an offering of our whole body,
And when I see the people I meet, and engage
It is a gift.

Walki the dog, walk the guest
Get a flashlight and walk the night
Rise before the sun and walk and be sure
you'll be the only one...well maybe?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I got good advice on the way that works for me. Drink 500ml of water at the start of the day and after every 2 hours of walking. Eat an overripe banana every morning with the mid morning coffee. Worked really well for me this year as I felt more energised that ever before. Best of Luck.

That is such a good way to feel
And you express the joy of it.
Some see walking as a necessary evil
Some see walking as punishment in life
There are so many in the world who are
Fleeing war, hunger, political oppression,Survival.

Our walking us at another level, beyond
just endorphins
and feeling good.
There is an offering of our whole body,
And when I see the people I meet, and engage
It is a gift.

Walki the dog, walk the guest
Get a flashlight and walk the night
Rise before the sun and walk and be sure
you'll be the only one...well maybe?
Thank you Don, this is lovely. I will print it and put it in my journal. I have found the walking to be a gift that makes me feel good. All of the things I was going to leave behind on the Camino I have actually already left behind while training. The Camino will be whatever now as I have a lovely head space in readiness. I was wondering about getting up early (in the dark) and heading off as our guest doesn't wake until late.....hhmmm tomorrow morning I think I will be very quiet and get back out there again. It is amazing how the road calls one. Buen Camino

Thank you Don, this is lovely. I will print it and put it in my journal. I have found the walking to be a gift that makes me feel good. All of the things I was going to leave behind on the Camino I have actually already left behind while training. The Camino will be whatever now as I have a lovely head space in readiness. I was wondering about getting up early (in the dark) and heading off as our guest doesn't wake until late.....hhmmm tomorrow morning I think I will be very quiet and get back out there again. It is amazing how the road calls one. Buen Camino
Had a dinner party tonight in honour of our guest and I cooked Spanish food - well recipes labelled as Spanish from the internet. The big hit was Asado de Cordero! As part of our training we had Rioja!!! Really getting ready for the Camino now! Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Follow Amorfati1's advice! Walk/rest/walk/rest and so on...
And...
When you rest -
Take the shoes of!!! And the inner sole AND your socks! Yepp, two pair of socks! Pair of wollsocks. One thin, and one outer, thicker. Put'em all in sun for drying, or change! Keep your feet dry, clean and soft whith cream! Buen camino! Best regards from Casa Domingo/Casanova/Galicia, 60 km from Santiago! Reaching Santiago on mondaymorning!

Hi all,
Regards,
Gerard.
Hi! well every experience is different. Last year I did el Camino Frances fron SJPP to Finisterre, I was 58 and never once did a single walking training. My training consisted in doing Insanity twice before going. But you can't avoid the pain and the exhaustion at the end of the day. But it's a good tiredness. Buen Camino!

I might be a strange bird regarding the training bit - but here's my tale - as told by an experienced porch-potato who is not known as the most active person (aside from flamenco dancing and some internal martial art bits) -
Of course I aimed to train - have a li'l lake near by, 1 mile round-about; trail and asphalt surface mixed. So I've done a few of those when I had time. The larger lake was 3 miles round-about, all on asphalt. Did a few of those.
But whenever I aimed to increase those, I either got mega sick or sailed down some library stairs and had to take it slow again.
Kind of a predicament - here were all those post with the diligent training-for-the-camino folks, while I was wondering why my training wasn't taking off and i was often in the horizontal or at the chiro.
Departure date arrived and off I went with some trepidation. What was i thinking? Took 3 days in Lisbon ... and then the walking started.
ARIAT boots, double-socks, body-glide, hiking poles, backpack approx 8kg, who knows exactly. Was fluctuating all the time anyway due to water/food packing.

Overall I was definitely "Squadra Lumaca" Team Snail. Took it really slow ... on purpose. and with relish!
11km first day (all asphalt)
16 km second day (mostly field tracks, some asphalt)
and then my body claimed a 'rest day'. and i happily obliged. My gait was strictly wobble-walk; probably looked like a daughter of a SumoWrestler who had John Wayne as a Godfather. Well...you get the picture ... But was so glad that I listened to my body and rested.
The third walking day was about 16km again...and all was well.
Eventually my body gained strength and endurance and confidence and I walked up to 27km on one day (inspired by my "teutonic turbo team", a father and son who i befriended somewhere between Ansiaio and Rabacal who were truly long distance walking champs, in my book for sure!!)
But mostly it was around 21km , sometimes more.
It suited me fine ... I had nothing to proof, no agenda, no 'dragon's to slay' - so what if i was the last one out off the albergue?

Also followed my ancient alpine hiking rule: walk about 50-60 min, then REST. Walk another 50-60 min, then REST. Have longer breaks for lunch etc.
I was soo astounded to learn and to experience that I trained ON the caminho - in my case it worked.
Not one blister, no shin-thingys (forgot what they are called) Never used a single band-aid. But gave myself plenty of foot and calf massages, legs up the walls, good rest.... powdered magnesium and such goodies.
It was walking, resting, walking, resting in this 50min 10 min rhythm. It worked. But everyone is different .... just be gentle with yourself.

While walking on the caminho i sometimes thought that the only way you "properly" could train for this walking every day WITH the backpack ...is by walking everyday at home with the backpack for several hours as well. Only then would one really feel exactly like walking the caminho, everything else is 'ersatz' - not quite the same. An approximation. Like hugging a pillow and hugging a lover can never quite feel the same, nevermind how fancy that pillow might be.
Enjoy the preparation -- very best wishes, Claudia
how do you take the magnesium?

€83,-
Hi. Annie,
It was powdered magnesium which i took in warm water at evening time. Approx 1/2 cup with one teaspoon of powder...you have to 'experiment' what works for you.
I believe there are also products of liquid magnesium ( drops) which might be available in the UK.
Best wishes and Bom Caminho!

While I really don't think one can train for a 33+ day hike, you should build up confidence that you can defeat hills. Example--for some reason, fellow hikers kept saying how difficult the hills on day 11 would be--Belorado to San Juan. We stayed at Albergue in Tosantos (Great place)--my novia and a couple other women wanted to put their backpacks on a taxi because they were afraid of the climb. The Albergue staff absolutely refused to call a taxi and told them that they must trust in God's providence to make the climb--all made it with no problem and all wondered why others warned them to fear the climb. Typical easy walk like all of the rest of the Camino hills.

Gerard,
It appears to me you are actually overtraining. Training for a Camino walk is similar to training for a marathon or a cross country bike ride. You need to walk only 10km miles for 3-4 days or crosstrain on one or more days, and one of those days you should climb hills. Then only one long walk a week up to 30k this should give time for recovery then 2 weeks before your Camino walk 2 easy days and do a long walk back to back of 20-25km. The last 2 weeks just 3-4 days of of short walks to let your body build up for you great adventure. You probably are more fit then you realize.

€60,-
Thank you all for your replies. Since posting my question three weeks ago and taken all your advice into consideration I've reduced my training to shorter but more frequent walks and in the past 2 weeks carrying a full rucksack as well. Feeling far more prepared and confident now. Thanks everyone. Gerard.

I fly out to start my very first Camino (SJPD) on 1 May and 10 days ago thought I would start walking with a semi full Backpack (7 kilos) - felt great on my back but boy did I start to feel pressure on my knees and feet. So adopted a radical plan to NOT carry my back pack for now and just walk for 2 hours every week day with a longer walk 12/15km on Saturday. At same time I have stopped drinking my beloved red wine, improved my diet and stopped eating cheese (which I love!) and lost 5 kilos in 2 weeks. I want to lose a further 2 stone in weight from 90kilos and have told myself I will only carry my full back pack once I lose another 8 kilos (back pack weight) so my knees don't suffer and I don't get depressed.

I fly out to start my very first Camino (SJPD) on 1 May and 10 days ago thought I would start walking with a semi full Backpack (7 kilos) - felt great on my back but boy did I start to feel pressure on my knees and feet. So adopted a radical plan to NOT carry my back pack for now and just walk for 2 hours every week day with a longer walk 12/15km on Saturday. At same time I have stopped drinking my beloved red wine, improved my diet and stopped eating cheese (which I love!) and lost 5 kilos in 2 weeks. I want to lose a further 2 stone in weight from 90kilos and have told myself I will only carry my full back pack once I lose another 8 kilos (back pack weight) so my knees don't suffer and I don't get depressed.
Hi, my partner has lost 35kgs in 2 months by cutting out 90 percent carbs. That is no bread, no potatos, no rice, no pasta. We also stopped all butter, cheese and sauces. Basically we ate meat or fish & 6 or more vegetables. Lots of eggs. Baby tomatoes were our lollies & snacks. We've been eating this way for a year now and love the food without being on a diet. A white wine or 3 a day included now. You sound as if you are doing all the right things. Walk as much as you can and build up. You must carry your pack to get used to it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, my partner has lost 35kgs in 2 months by cutting out 90 percent carbs. That is no bread, no potatos, no rice, no pasta. We also stopped all butter, cheese and sauces. Basically we ate meat or fish & 6 or more vegetables. Lots of eggs. Baby tomatoes were our lollies & snacks. We've been eating this way for a year now and love the food without being on a diet. A white wine or 3 a day included now. You sound as if you are doing all the right things. Walk as much as you can and build up. You must carry your pack to get used to it.
Thanks for your comments. Have certainly boosted vegetables and fruit intake. I might need to progress onto carb reduction but will see how it goes.

... 10 days ago thought I would start walking with a semi full Backpack (7 kilos) - felt great on my back but boy did I start to feel pressure on my knees and feet. ...

Semi full and still 7kg??? Post your packing list here and we all help you to trim it down, you will be a much happier pilgrim with a lighter backpack! Buen Camino! SY

Semi full and still 7kg??? Post your packing list here and we all help you to trim it down, you will be a much happier pilgrim with a lighter backpack! Buen Camino! SY

My Revised Backpack, so far, contains the following and weighs 7.837 kg. (data copied & pasted from excel spreadsheet)

BP Backpack Backpack Osprey Kestrel 48L - (S/M) brown 1 1580
BP Backpack Day pack Sea to Summit 20L Ultra Sil - Day pack red 1 70
BP Clothes Fleece North Face M Hadoken Full Zip J (L) blue 1 330
BP Clothes Gloves Rab VR Tour Glove (L) slate 1 94
BP Clothes Shirt - L/Sleeve Ayacucho Altay shirt LSL AM (XL) sand 1 206
BP Clothes Shirt - S/Sleeve Jack Wolfskin El Dorado (L) red 1 186
BP Clothes Socks Bridgedale Comfort Trekker 166 2 332
BP Clothes Towel PackTowl Ultralight Backpackers (XL) blue 1 118
BP Clothes Trousers - long Montane Terra Pants – short leg (XL) grey 1 320
BP Clothes T-shirt – merino Icebreaker Mens Tech T Lite SS Stripe navy 1 150
BP Clothes Underwear Ex-officio Give-N-Go Boxer brief 92 2 184
BP Clothes Waterproof Trousers Berghaus Deluge over trousers XL short black 1 414
BP Electrical Camera case Sony LCJ-RXF Jacket for RX100 III black 1
BP Electrical Camera compact Sony RX100 MIII (20.1MP) black 1 287
BP Electrical Headphones, earhook Philips SHS8100 black 14
BP Electrical Mobile Phone Nokia 106 black 1 74
BP Electrical Torch - headlight Black Diamond Storm 160 Lumen - (AAA x 4) green 1 116
BP Electrical Walkman Sony NWZ-E585/BM black 1 48
BP Equipment Penknife Swiss army Victorinox Camper multi-tool red 1 76
BP Equipment Trowel GSI Cathole (82g) Caribinier 14g black 1 96
BP Equipment Water bottle Berghaus 1/2 litre (free gift) red 1 94
BP Equipment Whistle Lifesystems Mountain whistle 100dB silver 1 8
BP First Aid Anti-inflammatory Voltarol Pain-eze (Emulgel) - 12 hour - 1 38
BP First Aid Antiseptic Savlon Antiseptic cream (15g) 1 20
BP First Aid Antiseptic wipes Savlon Wound wipes (sachets) gm 5.3 6 32
BP First Aid Asthma Ventolin Inhalers (50g) x 4 (?) 40 3 120
BP First Aid Footcare - Blisters Compeed Stick + 5 plasters (8g) - 5 28
BP First Aid Imodium McNeil Diarrhoea - tablets - 8 8
BP First Aid Lip balm Nivea Lip Soothe & protect UVA - 1 16
BP First Aid Needle/thread Paradores Blister care - 1 2
BP First Aid Pain killers Panadol - (asthma) - 1 4
BP First Aid Plasters Savlon Advanced Plasters 10 8
BP First Aid Safety pins 6
BP First Aid Sun protection Sunscreen - 1
BP First Aid Vaseline 100ml 1 108
BP Footwear Evening - after days walk Keen Clearwater CNX Sandals green 1 562
BP Important Cash - Euros 5
BP Important Cash - Sterling 5
BP Important Credit Card x 2 2 12
BP Important CSJ Pilgrimage Pilgrims passport 1 18
BP Important CSJ wallet Pilgrimage wallet 1 8
BP Important Debit Card 1 6
BP Important Paradores card Amigos membership card 1 6
BP Important Passport 1 32
BP Other BackPack liner Exped Ultralight waterproof (50L) orange 1 62
BP Other Clothes - Line Sea to Summit The Clothesline (with pegs) black 1 22
BP Other Dry sack - clothes Sea to summit Ultra-Sil Nano (8L) lime 1 24
BP Other Dry sack - clothes Sea to summit Ultra-Sil Nano (1L) lime 1 14
BP Other Dry sack - clothes Sea to summit Ultra-Sil Nano (2L) blue 1 18
BP Other Dry sack - clothes Sea to summit Ultra-Sil Nano (4L) orange 1 20
BP Other Fork/spoon/knife Sea to Summit Delta Spork - 2 10
BP Other Glasses - Case Vktech Hard Zipper brown 1 41
BP Other Glasses - Normal Evening wear - 1 26
BP Other Journal Rhodia Note pad (96 pages) orange 1 138
BP Other Map Michelin Camino de Santiago green 1 88
BP Other Pen Optiflow - 1 12
BP Other Pilgrimage Shell 1 44
BP Other Stone
BP Sleeping Bag - 2 seasons Rab Rab Neutrino 200 orange 1 650
BP Sleeping Bag liner Rab Silk 100% Traveller size blue 1 154
BP Sleeping Bed bug sheet Lifesystems Single sheet grey 1 160
BP Toiletries Deodorant Sure Roll on (50ml) - 1 78
BP Toiletries Earplugs - sleep Lifeventure Travel ear plugs yellow 6 6
BP Toiletries Glasses - care kit Boots Spray & cloth 1 24
BP Toiletries Nail clippers Boots black 1 36
BP Toiletries Razor Gillete - 1 10
BP Toiletries Soap all purpose Lifeventure Skin, hair, clothing (100ml) - 1 116
BP Toiletries Toieltries - Dry Wash Lifeventure Hand sanitiser (100ml) - 1 106
BP Toiletries Toilet paper!! Coglans Bio Toilet Tissue (150 sheets x 2) white 2 82
BP Toiletries Toothbrush Oral B Pro-Expert Pulsar - 1 29
BP Toiletries Toothpaste Colgate Sensitive Pro-Relief (22ml) - 1 32

WOW!! That was lightening fast!!! Give me a minute and I get straight back to you! SY

My Revised Backpack, so far, contains the following and weighs 7.837 kg. (data copied & pasted from excel spreadsheet)

BP Backpack Backpack Osprey Kestrel 48L - (S/M) brown 1 1580
BP Backpack Day pack Sea to Summit 20L Ultra Sil - Day pack red 1 70
BP Clothes Fleece North Face M Hadoken Full Zip J (L) blue 1 330
BP Clothes Gloves Rab VR Tour Glove (L) slate 1 94
BP Clothes Shirt - L/Sleeve Ayacucho Altay shirt LSL AM (XL) sand 1 206
BP Clothes Shirt - S/Sleeve Jack Wolfskin El Dorado (L) red 1 186
BP Clothes Socks Bridgedale Comfort Trekker 166 2 332
BP Clothes Towel PackTowl Ultralight Backpackers (XL) blue 1 118
BP Clothes Trousers - long Montane Terra Pants – short leg (XL) grey 1 320
BP Clothes T-shirt – merino Icebreaker Mens Tech T Lite SS Stripe navy 1 150
BP Clothes Underwear Ex-officio Give-N-Go Boxer brief 92 2 184
BP Clothes Waterproof Trousers Berghaus Deluge over trousers XL short black 1 414
BP Electrical Camera case Sony LCJ-RXF Jacket for RX100 III black 1
BP Electrical Camera compact Sony RX100 MIII (20.1MP) black 1 287
BP Electrical Headphones, earhook Philips SHS8100 black 14
BP Electrical Mobile Phone Nokia 106 black 1 74
BP Electrical Torch - headlight Black Diamond Storm 160 Lumen - (AAA x 4) green 1 116
BP Electrical Walkman Sony NWZ-E585/BM black 1 48
BP Equipment Penknife Swiss army Victorinox Camper multi-tool red 1 76
BP Equipment Trowel GSI Cathole (82g) Caribinier 14g black 1 96
BP Equipment Water bottle Berghaus 1/2 litre (free gift) red 1 94
BP First Aid Anti-inflammatory Voltarol Pain-eze (Emulgel) - 12 hour - 1 38
BP First Aid Antiseptic Savlon Antiseptic cream (15g) 1 20
BP First Aid Antiseptic wipes Savlon Wound wipes (sachets) gm 5.3 6 32
BP First Aid Asthma Ventolin Inhalers (50g) x 4 (?) 40 3 120
BP First Aid Footcare - Blisters Compeed Stick + 5 plasters (8g) - 5 28
BP First Aid Imodium McNeil Diarrhoea - tablets - 8 8
BP First Aid Lip balm Nivea Lip Soothe & protect UVA - 1 16
BP First Aid Needle/thread Paradores Blister care - 1 2
BP First Aid Pain killers Panadol - (asthma) - 1 4
BP First Aid Plasters Savlon Advanced Plasters 10 8
BP First Aid Safety pins 6
BP First Aid Sun protection Sunscreen - 1
BP First Aid Vaseline 100ml 1 108
BP Footwear Evening - after days walk Keen Clearwater CNX Sandals green 1 562
BP Important Cash - Euros 5
BP Important Cash - Sterling 5
BP Important Credit Card x 2 2 12
BP Important CSJ Pilgrimage Pilgrims passport 1 18
BP Important CSJ wallet Pilgrimage wallet 1 8
BP Important Debit Card 1 6
BP Important Paradores card Amigos membership card 1 6
BP Important Passport 1 32
BP Other BackPack liner Exped Ultralight waterproof (50L) orange 1 62
BP Other Clothes - Line Sea to Summit The Clothesline (with pegs) black 1 22
BP Other Dry sack - clothes Sea to summit Ultra-Sil Nano (8L) lime 1 24
BP Other Dry sack - clothes Sea to summit Ultra-Sil Nano (1L) lime 1 14
BP Other Dry sack - clothes Sea to summit Ultra-Sil Nano (2L) blue 1 18
BP Other Dry sack - clothes Sea to summit Ultra-Sil Nano (4L) orange 1 20
BP Other Fork/spoon/knife Sea to Summit Delta Spork - 2 10
BP Other Glasses - Case Vktech Hard Zipper brown 1 41
BP Other Glasses - Normal Evening wear - 1 26
BP Other Journal Rhodia Note pad (96 pages) orange 1 138
BP Other Map Michelin Camino de Santiago green 1 88
BP Other Pen Optiflow - 1 12
BP Other Pilgrimage Shell 1 44
BP Other Stone
BP Sleeping Bag - 2 seasons Rab Rab Neutrino 200 orange 1 650
BP Sleeping Bag liner Rab Silk 100% Traveller size blue 1 154
BP Sleeping Bed bug sheet Lifesystems Single sheet grey 1 160
BP Toiletries Deodorant Sure Roll on (50ml) - 1 78
BP Toiletries Earplugs - sleep Lifeventure Travel ear plugs yellow 6 6
BP Toiletries Glasses - care kit Boots Spray & cloth 1 24
BP Toiletries Nail clippers Boots black 1 36
BP Toiletries Razor Gillete - 1 10
BP Toiletries Soap all purpose Lifeventure Skin, hair, clothing (100ml) - 1 116
BP Toiletries Toieltries - Dry Wash Lifeventure Hand sanitiser (100ml) - 1 106
BP Toiletries Toilet paper!! Coglans Bio Toilet Tissue (150 sheets x 2) white 2 82
BP Toiletries Toothbrush Oral B Pro-Expert Pulsar - 1 29
BP Toiletries Toothpaste Colgate Sensitive Pro-Relief (22ml) - 1 32

PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE A COLUMN IN SPREADSHEET WITH VOLUMES IN FRONT OF GRAM WEIGHT - SO THERE IS a number in front that yo can ignore eg. Backpack is Brown (1) and weight is 1580

My thoughts to some of your items are in italics ;-)

Backpack Day pack Sea to Summit 20L Ultra Sil - Day pack red 70 - too heavy and too big, replace with something lighter like a fabric shopping bag ~10g
Clothes Gloves Rab VR Tour Glove (L) slate 94 - Yes, May can be occasionally cold on the CF, but in emergency case you still could wear a pair of socks as gloves
Electrical Headphones, earhook Philips SHS8100 black 14 - leave it
Electrical Torch - headlight Black Diamond Storm 160 Lumen - (AAA x 4) green 116 - no need for a bed race in May, enjoy the sunrise
Electrical Walkman Sony NWZ-E585/BM black 48 - why? Afraid of the silence ;-) ?
Equipment Trowel GSI Cathole (82g) Caribinier 14g black 96 - for what?
Equipment Water bottle Berghaus 1/2 litre (free gift) red 94 - use a normal PET bottle instead
Equipment Whistle Lifesystems Mountain whistle 100dB silver 1 8 - it is little weight, but still leave it at home, I don't think a lot of people on the Camino would react to it anyway
First Aid Antiseptic Savlon Antiseptic cream (15g) 20 - buy when and if needed
First Aid Lip balm Nivea Lip Soothe & protect UVA - 16 - your normal sun cream works also on lips
First Aid Needle/thread Paradores Blister care - 2 - Do.Not.Put.Threads.in.Blisters = Major Infection risk!
First Aid Vaseline 100ml 108 - for what would you use it?
Other BackPack liner & Dry sacks - just use ordinary rubbish bags = lighter and cheaper
Sleeping Bag liner Rab Silk 100% Traveller size blue 154 - For a relatively short Camino not really necessary.
Sleeping Bed bug sheet Lifesystems Single sheet grey 160 - not worth the extra weight in my opinion
Toiletries Deodorant Sure Roll on (50ml) - 78 - not really necessary
Toiletries Toieltries - Dry Wash Lifeventure Hand sanitiser (100ml) - 106 - Really not necessary, just get used to the germs, they are not so different from UK ones ;-)
Toiletries Toilet paper!! Coglans Bio Toilet Tissue (150 sheets x 2) 82 - Just take half a roll of ordinary one and remove the inner cardboard roll

I am missing 'upper body rain protection' in your list ;-)

Buen Camino with around a kilo less ;-) SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not having walked the camino yet, I have no comment on most of your list, but this:

Osprey packs have a whistle built into the sternum strap buckle.

My thoughts to some of your items are in italics ;-)

Backpack Day pack Sea to Summit 20L Ultra Sil - Day pack red 70 - too heavy and too big, replace with something lighter like a fabric shopping bag ~10g
Clothes Gloves Rab VR Tour Glove (L) slate 94 - Yes, May can be occasionally cold on the CF, but in emergency case you still could wear a pair of socks as gloves
Electrical Headphones, earhook Philips SHS8100 black 14 - leave it
Electrical Torch - headlight Black Diamond Storm 160 Lumen - (AAA x 4) green 116 - no need for a bed race in May, enjoy the sunrise
Electrical Walkman Sony NWZ-E585/BM black 48 - why? Afraid of the silence ;-) ?
Equipment Water bottle Berghaus 1/2 litre (free gift) red 94 - use a normal PET bottle instead
Equipment Whistle Lifesystems Mountain whistle 100dB silver 1 8 - it is little weight, but still leave it at home, I don't think a lot of people on the Camino would react to it anyway
First Aid Lip balm Nivea Lip Soothe & protect UVA - 16 - your normal sun cream works also on lips
First Aid Needle/thread Paradores Blister care - 2 - Do.Not.Put.Threads.in.Blisters = Major Infection risk!
Other BackPack liner & Dry sacks - just use ordinary rubbish bags = lighter and cheaper
Sleeping Bag liner Rab Silk 100% Traveller size blue 154 - For a relatively short Camino not really necessary.
Sleeping Bed bug sheet Lifesystems Single sheet grey 160 - not worth the extra weight in my opinion
Toiletries Toieltries - Dry Wash Lifeventure Hand sanitiser (100ml) - 106 - Really not necessary, just get used to the germs, they are not so different from UK ones ;-)
Toiletries Toilet paper!! Coglans Bio Toilet Tissue (150 sheets x 2) 82 - Just take half a roll of ordinary one and remove the inner cardboard roll

I am missing 'upper body rain protection' in your list ;-)

Buen Camino with around a kilo less ;-) SY

Thanks for your helpful review which I will seriously consider.

I am also dithering between
(1) Waterproof Jacket Mountain equip. LHOTSE jacket XL 560g
and/or
(2) Jacket - soft-shell Rab Vapour-Rise Lite Alpine (XL) 346g

Thanks for your helpful review which I will seriously consider.

I am also dithering between
(1) Waterproof Jacket Mountain equip. LHOTSE jacket XL 560g
and/or
(2) Jacket - soft-shell Rab Vapour-Rise Lite Alpine (XL) 346g

jostony,
I have a Rab Vapour-Rise. Although it is ok in light rain/ showers I wouldn't rely on it in prolonged heavy rain.

Edited to clarify..............
Sorry! Just noticed you said Lite-Alpine. Mine isn't. So, I can't speak about the Lit-Alpine.

jostony,
I have a Rab Vapour-Rise. Although it is ok in light rain/ showers I wouldn't rely on it in prolonged heavy rain.

Edited to clarify..............
Sorry! Just noticed you said Lite-Alpine. Mine isn't. So, I can't speak about the Lit-Alpine.

Thanks for reply. I think my Rab, which is lovely and light, will be fine for showers but I don't think it will stand up to a pro-longed downpour so I am answering my own dithering and swaying to LHOTSE which is goretex and guaranteed to be waterproof. I might get in shower and try them out!

Hi @jostony . In May I found a rain jacket too hot. I switched to a poncho. I'm also a fan of waterproof gloves (I lust after Sealskinz but make do with old ski gloves) and an umbrella. I do keep thermals in the bottom of my pack, but they weigh nothing.

Hi, my partner has lost 35kgs in 2 months by cutting out 90 percent carbs. .
That's a pound a day. Healthy weight loss is 2 pounds a week. Not only does the number seem staggering, it all seems dangerous. Perhaps he is blessed with a rare metobolism. It should take a person, who is highly successful in their weightloss a solid year to lose that.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

SY

These are my comments to build up on SY's:

Trowel: GOOD FOR YOU! You may not need it often, but these days they make ultra light ones, so why not, and it will make others think about the waist they are leaving behind.
Carabiner: I don't carry carabiniers but these miniature bundy cords. Super useful to carry the boots you have decided are not cutting it, the day's lunch etc.: http://www.mec.ca/product/5036-495/nite-ize-camjam-adjustable-micro-bungee/?q=bungie&f=10 An alternative to these are the plastic covered twist ties.
Lip Soothe: if I live on a deserted island and had 1 item with me, that would be it. It all depends on our skin type.
Vaseline (Or Vick's Vapour Rub): key to preventing blisters. Gum up your feet with it morning and night. Alternative for evening: St-John's Wart oil
Liner: by all mean - and perhaps even a sleeping bag. If he just supposed to sleep fully exposed? As for the sleeping bag: didn't have one the first 2 times, ended up spending a fortune for one on Camino 3 when Spain had record cold temps in 2013, on the CF.
Bug liner: I find them to be too small to hang well over the edges and stay in place. Loved the idea, but not their practicality Buy some tule, longer and wider than the bedbug sheet.
Deodorant: A MUST!!!!! Please have pity on the rest of us having to smell you when you ask if you can join us for lunch. Just get a smaller size. Mitchum has them, and it is one of the strongest ones on the market.

Deodorant: A MUST!!!!! Please have pity on the rest of us having to smell you when you ask if you can join us for lunch. Just get a smaller size. Mitchum has them, and it is one of the strongest ones on the market.
I so disagree. If you currently shave your armpits, let your armpit hair grow for a change so it can do its job of wicking away your sweat. Otherwise the sweat ferments on the skin, the cause of most underarm odour. Also find a non-alkaline 'soap' - the alkaline soaps strip away the acids that form a protective barrier for your skin, which makes it easier for the bacteria that cause fermentation to colonise your armpits.

Mitchum products seem to be both deodorants and antiperspirants. This is even worse if you are walking, when you want to produce enough sweat to cool your body naturally. Artificially stopping the sweat production process might be a great idea in an office environment where there is more environmental control, but not when you need to let your body use its natural processes to keep you cool.

I so disagree. If you currently shave your armpits, let your armpit hair grow for a change so it can do its job of wicking away your sweat. Otherwise the sweat ferments on the skin, the cause of most underarm odour. Also find a non-alkaline 'soap' - the alkaline soaps strip away the acids that form a protective barrier for your skin, which makes it easier for the bacteria that cause fermentation to colonise your armpits.

Mitchum products seem to be both deodorants and antiperspirants. This is even worse if you are walking, when you want to produce enough sweat to cool your body naturally. Artificially stopping the sweat production process might be a great idea in an office environment where there is more environmental control, but not when you need to let your body use its natural processes to keep you cool.
Dougfitz, even if I had never shaved my armpits, I would never have been able to grown more than 12 hairs, and I doubt that will do much ;0) Call me lucky or unlucky ;0) So while I don't worry much about how I look, I can tell you that I clearly "ferment" as you put it. As for soap: too hash on the rest of my body, including shampoo, so might as well carry antiperspirent (in North Am. we hardly see deodorant, but still refer to antiperpirents as deodorants - must be the lady-like attitude).

Dougfitz, even if I had never shaved my armpits, I would never have been able to grown more than 12 hairs, and I doubt that will do much ;0) Call me lucky or unlucky ;0) So while I don't worry much about how I look, I can tell you that I clearly "ferment" as you put it. As for soap: too hash on the rest of my body, including shampoo, so might as well carry antiperspirent (in North Am. we hardly see deodorant, but still refer to antiperpirents as deodorants - must be the lady-like attitude).
I will continue to be deodorant and antiperspirant free, and would recommend that for anyone walking the camino just on the basis of not interfering with your body's natural mechanisms for keeping you cool. But then I have never had to face pressure to have hairless armpits;).

I will continue to be deodorant and antiperspirant free, and would recommend that for anyone walking the camino just on the basis of not interfering with your body's natural mechanisms for keeping you cool. But then I have never had to face pressure to have hairless armpits;).
As long as you don't come and sit next to me stinking, I don't care what your technique is ;0)

Last edited:
I LOVE this reply! Made me laugh. My cousin and I (both late 50's) arrive in SJPP August 30, setting out September 1st. I've been doing lots of training, just now adding weight to the pack. I train in wilderness, with intermittent stretches along a local golf course. I pretend the 10th hole snack shack is a cafe. I pretend the trail maps are yellow arrows. I should be good to go with (3)... we have a wine cellar to prove it . I should be also be ready to go re (4); my husband and dog have given me lots of practice with that one! Have a wonderful day! It seems many of the replies to this post are setting out roughly the same time we are. Look out for two Canadian cousins who laugh a lot.
im starting on the 1st as well....

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.