• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training at altitude?

captdave51

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept(2016)
I live high up in the Andes at 8,300' (about 2,500 meters). I am wondering if my training for the Camino would be enhanced(greatly?, mildly?) by my altitude. Probably couldn't hurt but I'm hoping for a nice edge over sea level training. Any thoughts?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, if you were heading for Kilimanjaro, sure, your training would make a huge difference. For the camino? Nah, your altitude lifestyle wouldn’t have much effect. I’ve never heard of altitude sickness problems going over the Col de Lepoeder or O’Cebreiro. Jill

Sure, there will be benefits to training up at that altitude. Olympians wouldn't do it if there weren't. As @jsalt notes, you are going to a place where it isn't critical/necessary to have this type of training but since it's where you live anyway, Hakuna Matata.

Just a note on training though, even with that altitude I would still make sure I used my pack filled to Camino weight as part of my training so your joints and muscles get used to carrying it for long periods.

Good luck and Buen Camino,
Jordon

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Your cardio system should be in great shape for the camino which will help on some of the climbs for sure. Toughening your feet against blisters and strengthening your joints and ligaments against repetitive stress type injuries is another matter and should also be a goal of your training program.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I live at sea level and have trekked at high altitudes many times 6500m in Tibet being the highest.

I can certainly attest to the advantages of training at altitude. Every time I have returned home the benefit has been extraordinary - higher bike gears on climbs, more endurance and barely changing stride on hills (our highest here is ~727m).

You'll be supercharged! but do start off steadily Pole! Pole!

Good advice here on toughening your feet and training with a pack at peak weight occasionally.

Something to consider as well is the climate depending on what time you walk your Camino. The hotter months present a completely different set of issues if you are used to trekking in colder conditions.

I, too, live at altitude (in Colorado 7,200 ft) and train often between 6,500 - 14,000 ft amsl. In addition, since @jsalt mentioned it, I have climbed/summited Kilimanjaro. Before moving to Colorado four years ago, I lived most of my life in the 800-4,000 ft range. Living/training at altitude, I can tell a positive difference in performance not only at higher altitude, but also at lower altitude. Further, at sea level it feels like I am "supercharged."

Google the term "benefits of training at high altitude." There are countless articles and web sites that explain the benefits of live high/train high and athletic performance at lower altitudes. The body adapts (acclimatizes). Specifically, the hormone EPO triggers red blood cell production to help get oxygen to the body. Many athletes refer to it as "legal doping."

Since you live in the Andes, it's seems safe to assume, in addition to altitude, your training regimen includes access to many hills. As others have stated, if you train at/above 8,300 ft with the gear and pack weight that you will be using on the Camino, you will most likely have a very pleasant go of it physically.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I live high up in the Andes at 8,300' (about 2,500 meters). I am wondering if my training for the Camino would be enhanced(greatly?, mildly?) by my altitude. Probably couldn't hurt but I'm hoping for a nice edge over sea level training. Any thoughts?

Hello captdave51,
Your living at a high altitude could be a double-edged sword for you during your Camino.

Firstly, the good news. You may in all probababilty find the challenge presented by the even the highest points on any of the Caminos to be somewhat easier for you than people such as myself.

Secondly, the perhaps not so good news. It seems to me you may find the overall challenge less demanding than perhaps you anticipate judging by your original question and description. There may be a threat to your enjoyment of your Camino though. It is possible you may feel so good in the early days that you inadvertently over-do it.

I guess you already know you could be walking multiple days back-to-back, perhaps for weeks.

There are some people on this forum who thrive upon walking 30-40 Kms each day, and as far I can see they train for and do those distances regularly. Do you? If yes, then I suspect a Camino will bring you much joy, if not, then caution in the first few days may be the wise decision.

Buen (sea-level and higher level walking) Camino

Absolutely training at altitude will help you when you go to sea level. Mostly it will improve the blood oxygen carrying capacity. I live in Albuquerque, NM at about 6000 feet, and African runners often come here to train.

Last edited:
I envy those of you who live at high altitude. Not only do you get fit but I've heard from people who lived in La Paz that all the expats, all of them, lose weight when they arrive. Sounds marvellous to me!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I envy those of you who live at high altitude. Not only do you get fit but I've heard from people who lived in La Paz that all the expats, all of them, lose weight when they arrive. Sounds marvellous to me!
Kanga, it's a girl's/woman's paradise! In all my treks at altitude I have eaten up to 3 times more than normal, drank about 6 litres of fluid, alas, NO alcohol except for one tot of the Himalayan home-brew orujo equivalent and the weight has literally just fallen off me! The walking pace suited me just fine as well - plenty of time to stop and look.

I was waiting to come back home from the weekend climbing shenanigans to answer this but I guess people already wrote what I wanted to.

It doesnt matter if you are Training for a seal level adventure or not. Training at altitude WILL most definitely give you a boost....

I've been climbing at high altitude mountains for quite a while ( including Kilimanjaro a couple of times, Denali, Mont Blanc, Aconcagua, Cordilera Blanca, ELbrus, etc) and that does prepare you to carry more oxygen on your blood.

Carry on with your training at high altitute... You will have a stroll when you go for the Camino at sea level...

And, no... None of the Caminos ( none at all) are high enough to cause people any sickness related to altitude!

Happy trainning and Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back