• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training Fatigue

Singingheart

Kathy Dahm
Time of past OR future Camino
I have about 2 and 1/2 weeks left before I leave for the CI, and I'm experiencing training fatigue, more mental than physical. I've been training for months now, for weeks carrying my loaded backpack. I walk at a nearby gym, on the indoor track and the inclined treadmill (because the heat and humidity here are too intense to walk outside). I try to walk several miles a day, and this morning, it took all my will power to get started. Has anyone else experienced this sort of training burnout as the date of the actual Camino approaches?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't think that I have ever overtrained, so I haven't experienced exactly what you have. However, I can fully imagine it. It seems to me that you can ease off. Many people recommend reducing the hard training in the last week or so, anyway, partly to avoid random injury when there isn't time to heal.

I'd suggest modifying your routine in whatever way seems best for you - reducing frequency and taking a day off, not carrying the loaded pack. Keep your body moving in a sensible way, but give it (and your mind) a break!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think it’s probably a good idea to taper for a couple of weeks before your Camino, Kathy. Common practice for any marathon preparation. It sounds like you’ve put in the training hours well in advance so you’ve got your stamina built up. Just pace yourself once you get started and enjoy your Camino.

Ultreia!

I think you may have an exaggerated idea of the difficulty of the Camino Ingles. There are a few short but steep hills but generally it is through gently rolling country. Not really something that needs a great deal of systematic training. My own inclination would be to ease off on the training, especially if you are finding it difficult to be motivated. Actually walking a Camino is a different situation from repetitive training and you will probably find that the interests of the day help you along.

Hi Kathy,

If you were training for a marathon, you'd now be in the 'taper' stage. You've done the hard work and covered the miles, so it's time to relax and ease up on the training. As @C clearly said, don't stop moving, but just do what feels right. You're ready for this and soon you'll be there - how exciting!

Wishing you a Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm experiencing training fatigue, more mental than physical.

And it’s always important to listen to your body, Kathy, when training and in Spain. Maybe get a medical check up if you’ve any ongoing concerns. Feeling rested and prepared for your trip will help you enjoy it.

It's great that you been training on an incline, but for me, the surprise was the impact of the downhill. As others have mentioned, you're ready - just stay loose and don't over do it. It's hard to train on downhill without doing uphill, but you might want to change it up a bit and do a few days outside with long downhills. Do you have any tall buildings that you can take an elevator up and walk down the stairs?

Buen Camino!

I leave next week and other than the 2 to 3 mile walk with the dog, work and errands, I am just taking easy right now. I am as ready as I am going to be, and I suspect that you are as well.

€60,-
I don't have much more to add other than to reinforce the tapering. Burnout is a real thing and if you are now forcing yourself it can all lead to frustration. Maybe take some days off, keep your training shorter (maybe don't even call it training), leave the backpack at home at this point. Mix it up and find some enjoyment in it before you go. You've done this before and you will be fine.

Wow so much training for the CI
as told above, it is not that hard of a Camino

IMHO, think you are over killing the training for it

To give you some perspective, I am over 70 and did very little training for the CI
Other than walking every day month before I hit the CI
I did walk with my pack. Adding more weight every day

I walked the old route. Where the hill after Bar Julia was “fun.” Very long and steep. Straight up

As told by others, there are a few segments that get your attention. But, even for me was easy.

I biked the CF few years ago Then the next year walked it. Last year did the CP interior from Porto
This May did the Norte.

The Norte was the one I wished I had trained like you are doing now for the Ingles.
The first few days on the Norte really got me.

Bottom line train some. Have your gear and pack worked out. Good shoes etc

No need for such a rigorous training program for the CI.

Most important,,,, enjoy

I'll nod to others above with experience of Gyms and training regimes but it does seem to me that you have probably attained your physical peak and now, mentally, you need the stimulation of fresh air and an ever changing landscape to offer you benefit and reward for all your effort. Relax for a bit. Maybe try a short hike in all that heat and humidity with your pack on. It can get pretty humid in Galicia ;)

Two weeks or so out I'd probably be trying to track down a cheap bottle of Rioja or Navarra and practising sipping without wincing - but that is my personal inclination and not a recommendation ;);)

€60,-
Well, I can tell you that the training experience is so much different than walking the Camino, in my experience! Once you are on the road, the newness, the excitement, the desire, the adventure and the ever-changing faces and scenery all have a way of taking over and pushing you onward! Don't despair! All is well!

Take some time now to learn a few basic words. If you don’t already speak Spainish.
Walk with pack on. Especially up and down hills.
Thread mill at the gym may help.

But nothing beats outside walking with your pack on hills. On the road and off road. Walk on different surfaces if possible. I.e. gravel , dirt, sand, pavement, yes even sidewalks...that gives you realistic training that will help.

The gym does not let you experience wind, rain, sun, dust, mud, car/truck horns, wind blasting from trucks, scotters, stopping for breaks, etc.
If this is your first Camino try to get out of gym and get outside.

I didn’t make any reservations for sleeping. Did not have a problem.
Stayed in private and alburgues.

Did not need a map, GPS, etc.
Hard to get lost.
Always recommend two walking staffs.
Helps for going up hill and especially down hill.
Reduces pack load on your body.

I always stay in Hotel Silva when in Ferrol. Clean place.
((Grew up in Ferrol and Seville. So Ferrol is second nature to me. As well as Seville))

Walked first day from port to traffic circle on the CI in Ferrol.
Hotel Silva is few blocks up from the traffic circle. Picked up the CI next morning from Hotel Silva.
Laundromat down street from Hotel Silva.

Pack light. If you need something that bad many places to buy it.
Camino is CASH driven.

Again, e n j o y! It’s not the AT.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow so much training for the CI
as told above, it is not that hard of a Camino

IMHO, think you are over killing the training for it

To give you some perspective, I am over 70 and did very little training for the CI
Other than walking every day month before I hit the CI
I did walk with my pack. Adding more weight every day

I walked the old route. Where the hill after Bar Julia was “fun.” Very long and steep. Straight up

As told by others, there are a few segments that get your attention. But, even for me was easy.

I biked the CF few years ago Then the next year walked it. Last year did the CP interior from Porto
This May did the Norte.

The Norte was the one I wished I had trained like you are doing now for the Ingles.
The first few days on the Norte really got me.

Bottom line train some. Have your gear and pack worked out. Good shoes etc

No need for such a rigorous training program for the CI.

Most important,,,, enjoy
It’s not that I haven’t done this before. My most recent walk was the British Coast to Coast walk last September. I didn’t train enough for it, I felt. I’m 77 1/2 now, and I didn’t want my body to have any surprises. I love all the suggestions and encouragement here. Thank you to all of you. I’m just so ready to start walking!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'll nod to others above with experience of Gyms and training regimes but it does seem to me that you have probably attained your physical peak and now, mentally, you need the stimulation of fresh air and an ever changing landscape to offer you benefit and reward for all your effort. Relax for a bit. Maybe try a short hike in all that heat and humidity with your pack on. It can get pretty humid in Galicia ;)

Two weeks or so out I'd probably be trying to track down a cheap bottle of Rioja or Navarra and practising sipping without wincing - but that is my personal inclination and not a recommendation ;);)
Oh, I’ve been doing that for some time now, maybe since 2015 when I walked the CF.😊

So great you are doing the CI
Not far behind you in young years

You will be fine

Enjoy and keep walking!

Blessings

Let us know how it went

It’s not that I haven’t done this before. My most recent walk was the British Coast to Coast walk last September. I didn’t train enough for it, I felt. I’m 77 1/2 now, and I didn’t want my body to have any surprises. I love all the suggestions and encouragement here. Thank you to all of you. I’m just so ready to start walking!

I live just off the coast to coast route.

If you did that - especially the best bit in the west - the Camino Ingles will be like a stroll in the park. I’ve done both.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
just take a break
many studies have show the recuperative benefits of rest days and many top athletes have talked of not working out right up to the event
you will be more than ready when you hit the trail
and I suspect you will be refreshed without loss of conditioning
And if, in the next week you feel the desire to get out and just walk, go for it
This is all supposed to be enjoyable ( even if it is hard )
just MHO

Has anyone else experienced this sort of training burnout as the date of the actual Camino approaches?
No, because I don't train.
You may just need to lighten up on yourself, Kathy. You've done this before and know how to do it, so trust that when you get to Spain, walking will happen and you will be fine.
Buen camino, peregrina!

just take a break
many studies have show the recuperative benefits of rest days and many top athletes have talked of not working out right up to the event
you will be more than ready when you hit the trail
and I suspect you will be refreshed without loss of conditioning
And if, in the next week you feel the desire to get out and just walk, go for it
This is all supposed to be enjoyable ( even if it is hard )
just MHO
Thank you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I live just off the coast to coast route.

If you did that - especially the best bit in the west - the Camino Ingles will be like a stroll in the park. I’ve done both.
I hope that’s true. Nothing though can compare to the C2C for sheer beauty, day after day. You must live in the midst of great beauty.

I have about 2 and 1/2 weeks left before I leave for the CI, and I'm experiencing training fatigue, more mental than physical. I've been training for months now, for weeks carrying my loaded backpack. I walk at a nearby gym, on the indoor track and the inclined treadmill (because the heat and humidity here are too intense to walk outside). I try to walk several miles a day, and this morning, it took all my will power to get started. Has anyone else experienced this sort of training burnout as the date of the actual Camino approaches?
You're ready. Dont worry about training, it's a walk not a race. Seems that you have confirmed that your body is in adequate shape and your equipment is appropriate.

€60,-
I've completed the Frances, the Primitivo and the Portaguese and am currently doing light training for the Ingles. The best piece of advice I got before doing the first one was 'don't do a camino before you do a camino' While some bit of training with your rucksack is good to get the muscles used to the weight, don't exhaust yourself. Once on route, listen to your body, take it easy for the first few days and you will be surprised how quickly your body will adjust to the routine. The wonderful people that you will meet along the way will keep you motivated.

I would chill out a bit if I were you. Training indoors is falce. It's 29 degrees here in A Coruña and that's as nature intended. I don't know where you are but I suggest you get outdoors and train with nature. Does it rain in your gym? Well it does outside sometimes. Be prepared to see some beautiful scenery and meet some interesting people. Regards Bruce and Margaret.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! Im walking the Camino Ingles starting from Ferrol on the 8th May, arriving in SdC on the 14th (and staying til the 17th :) ) Ive not walked a camino before, nor have I ever really done any...
Hi! would arrive by train from Madrid at 23:22 at Ferrol station and from there heading to the parador ferrol (solo female traveler). Is taxi widely available? should i arrange the parador to send...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back