• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training for a marathon while on the Camino Frances

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I have not been able to find this topic on the forum. I'd registered for a marathon this December. I was going to walk the CF last Spring then start my training for the marathon in the summer when I come back. Unfortunately due to unforeseen events, I was not able to walk in the Spring. I've started training for the marathon and wonder if I can still walk the CF in Sept. My plan is to walk 3 days, then on the 4th day I'll send my backpack ahead and run the 25 km or so to the next albergue. I will then repeat this pattern (walk 3 days, run 1 day) for the entire CF. This way, I'll be able to get in my running mileage for the marathon training while walking the CF. After the CF, I'll return to the more conventional marathon training timetable/regimen (daily short distances then weekly long distances). Has anyone done their marathon training on the CF? Any thought or advice about my thinking? Thanks in advance for any thoughts that you might have. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi! I don't know anything about marathon training, but I wonder if some of the path surfaces may be an issue. There are some that would be great (flat with light gravel) but others have heavier stones or are rutted from tractors in the mud etc. Knowing what type of surface is coming up on any given stage is more difficult than elevation, which is well recorded in guidebooks etc.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
tyrrek said:
I wonder if some of the path surfaces may be an issue. There are some that would be great (flat with light gravel) but others have heavier stones or are rutted from tractors in the mud etc. Knowing what type of surface is coming up on any given stage is more difficult than elevation, which is well recorded in guidebooks etc.

I would double that.
But you can always use the asphalt road between those app.25km running stages. Marathons are usually on that kind of surface as I know.

Ultreia!

Please don´t misuse the Camino Frances as a running trail

Hi.
Please, please leave the Camino to the pilgrims! Don`t abuse the Camino and its infrastructure for your training! :evil: :evil:
There are many other long distant hiking trails where you can do your training!
The sad old pilgrim Jochen

@Jochen-Schmidtke

WHAT?????????
You're so rude! Try to read the initial post once again...

:roll:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I see what J-S is saying. Who wants to share their intimate journey with some one who is using the same path for training?
The very fortunate thing is at that pace, he won't be around anyone too long.

Re: Please don´t misuse the Camino Frances as a running trail

Jochen-Schmidtke said:
Hi.
Please, please leave the Camino to the pilgrims! Don`t abuse the Camino and its infrastructure for your training! :evil: :evil:
Hi Jochen,

I am not using the CF to train. I walked the CF Spring of 2012 and would like to walk a Camino each year. This Spring I had planned to walk the Le Puy route. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, I was not able to do so.

Regarding my marathon training, I don't actually run the marathon. Being a senior, I use the Galloway "walk-and-run" method even during the marathon itself. I highly recommend this method for anyone who wants to run a marathon but think that it's too hard. So when I say that I plan to "run" every 4th day, it's actually "walk-and-run" to keep my running muscles in reasonable shape. What I do on the 4th day is sort of like some pilgrims who, for a variety of reasons, send their luggage ahead and walk without a backpack.

I'm still hoping to be able to walk the CF this Fall, if circumstances allow, and "walk-and-run" the marathon in December. BTW, I hope that you're a happy old pilgrim, Jochen. It's better than being sad : )

Buen Camino!

Hieu

This way, I'll be able to get in my running mileage for the marathon training while walking the CF. After the CF, I'll return to the more conventional marathon training timetable/regimen (daily short distances then weekly long distances). Has anyone done their marathon training on the CF? Any thought or advice about my thinking? Thanks in advance for any thoughts that you might have. Buen Camino! Unquote

I haven't walked a Camino yet but ran a number of marathons when I was younger.

Your plan seems doable and I guess you've thought about surfaces and such like already.

A thought or two by way of things to consider if I may.

What about recovery after a day's running? You plan to walk for 3 days then run 1, even for a seasoned marathon runner which I guess you are, that may be asking a lot of your body to stay injury free.

Presumably you've considered the calorie replacement regime most people would need and have researched that you can get the type of food you usually take on board.

If you have a rest and recuperate type recovery routine it might be worth keeping in mind you may not have the luxury of sleeping late.

Whatever you decide I wish you well (and sort of envy you too)
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

hieudovan said:
Jochen-Schmidtke said:
Hi.
Hi Jochen,

I am not using the CF to train. I walked the CF Spring of 2012 and would like to walk a Camino each year. This Spring I had planned to walk the Le Puy route. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, I was not able to do so.

Regarding my marathon training, I don't actually run the marathon. Being a senior, I use the Galloway "walk-and-run" method even during the marathon itself. I highly recommend this method for anyone who wants to run a marathon but think that it's too hard. So when I say that I plan to "run" every 4th day, it's actually "walk-and-run" to keep my running muscles in reasonable shape. What I do on the 4th day is sort of like some pilgrims who, for a variety of reasons, send their luggage ahead and walk without a backpack.

I'm still hoping to be able to walk the CF this Fall, if circumstances allow, and "walk-and-run" the marathon in December. BTW, I hope that you're a happy old pilgrim, Jochen. It's better than being sad : )

Buen Camino!

Hieu
In that case I wouldn't even think about doing what you plan. :shock:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Hieu, I don't think you will be the first one to run the Camino, in fact, I know you aren't. What you are proposing is doable, but of course, you will be jumping ahead of any compatible "family" you might meet along the Way.
I remember one year, we kept bumping into a German mother and son, who was a footballer. What he did was, once the day's walk was over, he would run back down part of the path and then back up again. Like this, he kept pace with his mother ( obviously) plus many other people that they met on the Way. Anne

annakappa said:
Hi Hieu, I don't think you will be the first one to run the Camino, in fact, I know you aren't. What you are proposing is doable, but of course, you will be jumping ahead of any compatible "family" you might meet along the Way.
I remember one year, we kept bumping into a German mother and son, who was a footballer. What he did was, once the day's walk was over, he would run back down part of the path and then back up again. Like this, he kept pace with his mother ( obviously) plus many other people that they met on the Way. Anne
Thanks Anne and all who have responded. I guess I should have highlighted in my initial post that I will "walk-and-run" the usual 20 - 25 km on my 4th (or 3rd or 5th) day. So actually I will not be faster than the average pilgrim, covering 20 - 25 km each day, walking or "running." Meeting and being with other pilgrims was one of the highlights of my camino walking. I would not want miss that.

From the feedback, I'll "walk-and-run" without my backpack on the sections that are more amenable to running. Definitely not up or down any steep incline. Similarly, I will watch out for recovery time if needed after a "walk-and-run" day. I am hoping that recovery time will not be needed. Not because I'm in such great shape, but because I'll be covering the same 20-25 km WITHOUT having to carry a backpack : )

Again, thanks to all who have responded. I will now just wait and see if circumstances in my life will allow me to walk this September. If not, there's always next year : )

Buen Camino!

Hieu

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I guess the speed isn't the thing; its the heart, lungs, and muscle condition. So I would ask if just walking the whole camino with a pack not enough? What additional benefit will you get from running 1 in 4?

whariwharangi said:
I guess the speed isn't the thing; its the heart, lungs, and muscle condition. So I would ask if just walking the whole camino with a pack not enough? What additional benefit will you get from running 1 in 4?
Hi Whari,

I am not looking for additional benefits. I need to keep my running muscles, which are different from walking muscles, in a reasonable shape for my Dec marathon.

Buen Camino,

Hieu

I have the same problem although I am only doing the half marathon in November and December.

I am running 6 half marathons in 2013. I should have completed 3 by the time my Camino starts in October and I will run another 2 in November as soon as I get back, finishing with the last one in early December.

Training is abit difficult because when I did the Camino last year, I found that I was not necessarily fitter and I didnt even think about running parts of the Camino. Still I did complete the half marathon last December with no problems. In fact, I completed 5 races in 8 weeks when I got home.

I was too tired at the end of every day to do any extra exercises although being fit, I didnt have alot of problems and soreness while walking.

Since I am only running the half marathon, I am not too worried about taking a month off and I would be fairly fit already before walking.

I would suggest you send your pack along and choose the flat parts to run (trail running is great especially when it is shaded. You should be done in 2 hours or so then and have the rest of the day for recovery).

I am definately not going to run the Camino this year although I am tempted only because I refuse to send my luggage and I dont want to carry extra gear. The Camino is meant for walking and for reflection.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
lynettefoo said "The Camino is meant for walking and for reflection." and while that is my personal feeling as well I do acknowledge that many different people walk the Camino for many different reasons. At the end of the day one usually achieves the Camino one deserves. Should you really want to run, run on the sidewalks out of Leon, run around the airports of Burgos or Santiago run on the concrete leading into Logrono, but I would consider runners bustling by in a similar light as bicyclists on the path, headlamp flashers at 0500, and tourigrinos zipping by in minivans on on their way to the albergue. Its all part of the Camino but why? Ask why are you really there?
PS Saint James will certainly help in your endeavor but Saint Sebastian is the man you are looking for-Patron Saint of runners and athletes.

Hi Hieudovan.

I've done the VDLP several times, and I always run it for two reasons: I don't have much time, and I love to run. I've tried different methods over the years -- running the whole thing (very difficult), running one day and walking the next, and my favorite: doing the run-walk method you mentioned, usually running one mile and then walking one mile. I've found this latter method results in almost no sore muscles, since I keep switching the muscles I'm using.

I also race all the time -- everything from the mile to 50K -- and I can say your plan is a sound one. You should not have any problem with a December marathon. Definitely send your pack ahead. I use a Camelbak for water. I don't think you need to be too concerned about the day's path; if you come to a steep or rocky stretch, just walk until the surface is better. That won't affect your conditioning.

To those who equate running the Camino with racing and being non-reflective, that's definitely not necessarily true. Most people I know who run the Camino are running relatively slowly. I personally walk through all towns so I don't get in anyone's way. And I actually find my best praying time is while running -- there's something about getting into a running rhythm and regular breathing that gets me in a contemplative "zone" that makes prayer and reflection infinitely easier.

Melanie

mmm042 said:
Hi Hieudovan.
To those who equate running the Camino with racing and being non-reflective, that's definitely not necessarily true. Most people I know who run the Camino are running relatively slowly. I personally walk through all towns so I don't get in anyone's way. And I actually find my best praying time is while running -- there's something about getting into a running rhythm and regular breathing that gets me in a contemplative "zone" that makes prayer and reflection infinitely easier.

Melanie
Thanks Melanie (and others) for your encouragement. Your running of the VDLP is physically very impressive.

I had not planned to address the "reflection" issue when it was raised before. However, since it has been brought up several times, I would like to tell folks about my experience with running and reflection. For me running (or walking-and-running) actually affords more opportunities for reflection, even now while I'm not on the camino.

A walker can choose to socialize/talk with others or walk quietly alone. However, when I run, I don't have enough energy to talk with another runner (in the unlikelihood that I'd meet one on the path). Of course, it would be impossible to have a conversation with a walker while running.

So if reflection is a "goal" on the camino, then running would definitely afford a person a good opportunity to do so, not the reverse. Having said that, while I like reflection, I also enjoy meeting and chatting with people while walking the CF last year. Besides, even when I "run," I actually will also be walking on the trail. I'm 65 and in no shape to run all day : )

Thanks again for your information and encouragement. I am still deciding between the Le Puy and CF for this September. Of course, the "worst" outcome would be for me to not be able to walk this year. Actually that would simplify matters for me as next year I will not be having to train for a December marathon. I'll just be walking... : )

Buen Camino,

Hieu

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Jochen-Schmidtke said:
Hi.
Please, please leave the Camino to the pilgrims! Don`t abuse the Camino

Yes don't abuse those roads, many off which were built by the Romans, and are used all year by Spanish farmers to move their cows, tend to their vines, or just get to their home. Running on those roads would be abusive. Ask any self ordained foreign pilgrim. They are good at judging whether you have sufficient spiritual purity to touch the rural lands of Spain.

PS: I actually worked in training for a run into a bike tour and raft trip, running about twice a week when I could. Worked pretty well. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back