• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training for CF:5 weeks to go!

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
We are what I categorize as senior snail walkers and train the same way! Our preparation walking is rarely problematic because we are now retired and have time to spend getting our mileage up to where we would like it to be. But we consider “our training” to be part of our Camino Life.... as we are always on the way?Are we not?

We do not try to do faster walking reps to get our speed up. No, our goal is to get to our destination healthy, and to breathe in the beauty along the way. How fast we get there is not a factor.... not sure if we are really so unconventional? How do we prepare? Our goal is to be able to do 50 miles a week before we leave. Right now we are up to 42miles per week. We will increase two miles per week and should be up to 50 miles by the time we depart on Sept. 30th. We do 3-4 miles early in the morning per day on paved roads near our home with our terrier. Then after breakfast, we go to the state park several times a week and walk incorporating hills up and down on dirt/rock pathways. We are currently shooting for 3 ten mile days per week. We simulate the Camino by carrying what we will carry on the Camino including 2liters of water and our snacks. What snacks do we bring? Two oranges quartered. One large tomato quartered, (with salt packs courtesy of Burger King) a quartered peach, a Protein bar10mgs, and sometimes melon slices, or a quartered nectarine. My sister and I split the weight of the fruit and then share it. We have walked 10, 8, 7 and 8 miles in a row. This week we will try 10, 10, 7, 8. Next week, 10, 10, 8 8, Then 12,10,8, 8. Then 12, 10, 9, 9 and finally 10, 10, 10, 10, and the other days 3-4miles with the dog... and we should be ready. This year we are doing the Napoleon route, so we are doing more hills because we will face hills immediately. We did get a reservation at Orisson. I would estimate currently we are doing about 300 -400 meters in elevation change twice a week. Hope to get up to 500+ meters two days in a row before we leave. If we have a rain out day then we go to our towns rec center and concentrate on hills on the tread mills. We have walked a lot in the Alps, so our muscle and cognitive memory is there.
My message is to try and really incorporate your training into your life style if possible. Hopefully, as on the Camino in Spain, stop to smell the roses,reflect on the beauty around you wherever you live. Take proper nourishment as you train. Training does not have to be drudgery...it can be a joy! Life is a joy! Pictures this past week of our preparation along the way

Attachments

• 26879930-698E-4597-BFEE-D596653B0AF9.jpeg
    26879930-698E-4597-BFEE-D596653B0AF9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 448AFC31-EDAC-4C6F-9282-B62D240F4D05.jpeg
    448AFC31-EDAC-4C6F-9282-B62D240F4D05.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 894C95F3-E385-49AD-9EC1-5893B5D4C202.jpeg
    894C95F3-E385-49AD-9EC1-5893B5D4C202.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will be fine. My wife and I do two types of training. One is several trips up and down a 1/2 k long steep hill for strength. The other is longer walks for endurance. Our average training walk is 8 miles. The week before we go I try to get in two back to back walks of 15 miles with full pack. In September we will start our 7th camino/long hike. If you enjoy walking, walk. Take care of your feet and you will do well. ;-) Buen Camino !

You will be fine. My wife and I do two types of training. One is several trips up and down a 1/2 k long steep hill for strength. The other is longer walks for endurance. Our average training walk is 8 miles. The week before we go I try to get in two back to back walks of 15 miles with full pack. In September we will start our 7th camino/long hike. If you enjoy walking, walk. Take care of your feet and you will do well. ;-) Buen Camino !

Thanks, JimbO1930,
When we walk our dog, we do a constant hill of .5 miles. At the park, the dirt paths have hills that are shorter, but likely a grade 7 or more. We walk these several times per session. So the combination should prepare us. As you know, the downhill walking is as much needed as the uphill! We are grateful to have access to such terrain. Sounds like you and your wife are well prepared!! Wish you a healthy and Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You sound very well prepared. Be careful not to overtrain and injure or exhaust yourself before you go.
Just go at your own (usual) pace and you'll be fine.
Buen Camino!

You sound very well prepared. Be careful not to overtrain and injure or exhaust yourself before you go.
Just go at your own (usual) pace and you'll be fine.
Buen Camino!

Thanks. We are trying to pace ourselves! We are past the age of trying to keep up with others too :):)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It’s always interesting to hear how different people train. I am now training for my 4th Camino. I am 64 and as I get older I train less and just start more slowly. I, as I am sure many others here have learned to listen to what their body tells them. I will say this, when I trained a lot harder years ago i received some very good advice from 2 triathletes and 3 ultra marathoners. They all told me to train less 2 weeks before I would start my Camino and stop completely one week before. They told me the walk will most definitely be tougher than any training you do and your body needs to recover and rest from the training and be ready for the journey.

Thanks It56 NY,
We actually will not be walking after September Sept 26. On the 30th we fly and make our way to St. Jean on the 1st of Oct. Then we start walking on 3rd . This gives us a full week to rest, including two nights in St. Jean to recover some from Jetlag. With that in mind our first day is relatively easy...just to Orisson...8km and abt 600km.... We will also send everything ahead until we get to Roncevalles.

Funny, as we get older, (69 and 78) we seem to train more. Takes our muscles a bit longer to strengthen and we walk slower. But We have hiked for many years so we are attuned to our bodies as I am sure you are as well. Good luck with your training for your fourth Camino!

Last edited:
@Marbe2 , you are both doing extremely well.

For me a prime purpose of my training was to get both mind and body used to the rigours of walking day after day. And its sound like you two are in a similar mold..

I'm currently walking from Canterbury to Rome (second day only) and found my training for steep ascents and descents (even if short) kicked in automatically. For me I find the steeper the ascent the shorter the step. And to breathe in on one footfall and out on the other. For me going up to Orisson was almost like a dream. After nearly a month on the road from Le Puy I knew to under-dress for the start, even though it might be chilly - my increasing body temperature would soon compensate. This meant no energy was consumed lifing each foot, or in taking of my pack and putting it on again after removing a jacket, jersey or whatever. This meant, for me, no stopping until Roncesvalles.

I am sure will will both go well. And so I say kia kaha (you both take care, be strong, get going).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Alwyn, Thank youfor your encouragement! Canterbury to Rome is a long way! how long will it take you? And how many KMs per day?

If the hills is steep enough we revert to putting one foot right in front of the other with very small steps so we do not breathe heavy. learned that from an old Swiss man many years ago!

Thanks It56 NY,
We actually will not be walking after September Sept 26. On the 30th we fly and make our way to St. Jean on the 1st of Oct. Then we start walking on 3rd . This gives us a full week to rest, including two nights in St. Jean to recover some from Jetlag. With that in mind our first day is relatively easy...just to Orisson...8km and abt 600km.... We will also send everything ahead until we get to Roncevalles.

Funny, as we get older, (69 and 78) we seem to train more. Takes our muscles a bit longer to strengthen and we walk slower. But We have hiked for many years so we are attuned to our bodies as I am sure you are as well. Good luck with your training for your fourth Camino!
Totally agree as we age and one wonderful discovery of the Camino is discovering your own body. Training is like opinions, everyone has a method and an opinion on what is best! I think you guys have this covered!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back