• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training for September 2015 - Plantar Fasciitis

Ethel

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2015
Please, any help will be greatly appreciated. I was training well for two months and then after an 11 mile walk with hills and a 75% loaded pack, I developed plantar fascitis. Have been dealing for the last three weeks. Got orthotics, chiropractic care, new shoes, have been doing stretching and now strenthening exercises. I am worried that I will not have enough training for our September 18 start. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!! I had a pain free day today!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I get it too, but with good suspension shoes (Salomons in my case, perfect) and regular stretching while you walk, rolling cold drinks bottles under the foot every break etc you should be able to walk even if it flares up. If all that doesn't work, and it probably will, then there are good ibuprofen pain relief creams sold over the counter in Spanish farmacias. You'll be fine! Top tip: When walking on uneven or stony surfaces, concentrate on finding egg to fist size rocks and step on them so they hit just under the arch. Good massage :D

I got plantar fasciitis while on the Camino del Norte last fall and limped for the second half of my Camino and a for solid 2 or even 3 months after getting home. I ended up visiting a podiatrist who had me :

1. Icing (use a small bottle of water, fill it and freeze it - roll it under your foot for 10 minutes every hour). You can ask for ice at the bars where you stop for breaks. Just buy a cafe con leche and ask them for a glass of ice cubes you can then put in a ziplockbag you will bring with you.

2. Then there was a new set of orthotics (I already was walking with a custom pair) this time non custom and a bit softer. After wearing them for a month exclusively it was decided that for the Camino I would alternate between both pairs during the day.

3. I also did some yoga stretches: for the toes, the the ball of the foot, the ankle.

4. I always took a 75mg slow-release Voltaren pill, sold over the counter in Spain.

5. Shoes: you need a stiff sole. Something you cannot twist. The tip can be flexible somewhat, but not too flexible. I also got the green light from my podiatrist when I showed her my Salomon X Ultra 2 hiking shoe. (You don't need a boot).

I do know know by what miracle I have just been able to walk the Primitivo, but I have been. I wish you the best of luck. Just don't push yourself, it will only bring your Camino to an abrupt halt. Short days if you can are best.

September is still in a few months, ice, ice and ice! You may also want to use that funny sock that keeps your foot engaged while you sleep and never walk barefoot or with a shoe with no support until you get better. Good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In prior years, plantar fasciitis plagued me. My feet -- maybe everybody's feet -- stiffen during the night, and when I would first put my weight on them, the stiff fascia would suffer micro-tears, so that every day my feet were reinjured before I had taken a few steps. Instead, I learned to massage and flex my feet for a few minutes before ever getting up and out of bed, and before I put any weight on my feet. I helped my feet warm up and become supple, first thing each morning, so they were ready to support me more happily. I still get twinges of plantar fasciitis from time to time, but this practice has helped me for years. I hope it may help others.

... Looking back Im sure you had some warning signs....like
*it hurt to walk first thing in the morning....
It's amazing how informative this forum is. I've been reading about plantar fasciitis in other postings, and thinking "Well, that's one problem I don't have!" But then, from this comment by @Lise T, it looks like maybe I do have this problem! :rolleyes: So, I've taken note of the various suggestions above, and will try to follow some of them and see what happens.
As always, buen camino to all forum pilgrims.
Suzanne :)

Hi Ethel, it's great that you had no pain today! I too am taking note of all the above suggestions and especially like @Tessera's if I can remember I will do this before rising.

Where are you leaving from? I will be in St Jean on the 18th and walk to Orisson on the 19th. Maybe we will see each other?

Buen camino
Sarah

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife and I developed plantar fasciitis this spring from a tread mill. We walked the Frances this May/June with little problems. I would find a good physical therapist that has had this problem right away and start therapy on a regular basis. There are things they can do that cannot be done such as ultrasound induced drugs, dry needling, teach you how to wrap it to relieve pain, etc. that can really help. They'll teach you how to stretch and massage correctly. Do it wrong and it will set you back.

We were lucky. Our plantar fasciitis mostly went away after about 5 days on the Camino. We stretched before we put our boots on, took our boots off at breaks, massaged our feet, took 600MP ibuprofen and applied the amazing Voltador Vorte. Voltador is a cream with pain reliever and anti inflammation aspects that is available from any pharmacist.

Good luck!

Hi Ethel,

I agree with the suggestions above and also suggest kinesiology tape ( stretchy sports tape) After a painful 1st Camino I purchased some good orthotics, did stretching, took prophylactic paracetamol (tylanol) and taped my feet ( lasts 2/3 days even with showers,) and had no PF.. made a huge difference.

Online strapping guides on YouTube (many brands to choose from )

Please, any help will be greatly appreciated. I was training well for two months and then after an 11 mile walk with hills and a 75% loaded pack, I developed plantar fascitis. Have been dealing for the last three weeks. Got orthotics, chiropractic care, new shoes, have been doing stretching and now strenthening exercises. I am worried that I will not have enough training for our September 18 start. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!! I had a pain free day today!

shoes (Salomons in my case, perfect) and regular stretching while you walk, rolling cold drinks bottles under the foot every break etc you should be able to walk even if it flares up. If all that doesn't work, and it probably will, then there are good ibuprofen pain relief creams sold over the counter in Spanish farmacias. You'll be fine! Top tip: When walking on uneven or stony surfaces, concentrate on finding egg to fist size rocks and step on them so they hit just under the arch. Good massage :D[/QUOTE]

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you all for your help and encouragement. With the help of my chiropractor, my massage therapist, good ortjotics, new supportive Saucony shoes, a ball called the Rubz ball, a night splint, strrtching, icing, strengthening.. I feel I am getting this under control. We will walk two miles today and I again have no pain. I am afraid, though, because or trsining has been set back that I will not be fit enough for the Camino. I keep telling myself we still have three months, but still..... we were walking six days a week and had our mileage up there. I think we were overtraining.... Anyways, will just keep at it. Thank you!!!! Buen Camino to all!!

Don't despair about your September walk Ethel. I had a very bad flare-up two months ago and it is virtually gone now, by following most of the regimens noted. The small bottle of frozen water was particularly helpful. I used to sit at the computer and roll it underneath my foot several times a day.

Continue with your therapy to treat the condition and go easy on training for a couple of weeks, avoiding any inclines or declines.

Last edited:
Hi Ethel, it's great that you had no pain today! I too am taking note of all the above suggestions and especially like @Tessera's if I can remember I will do this before rising.

Where are you leaving from? I will be in St Jean on the 18th and walk to Orisson on the 19th. Maybe we will see each other?

Buen camino
Sarah

Buen camino
Sarah

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sarah,

Thanks for your encouragement! We leave from St. Jean on the 18th and wiil stay in Orisson our first night. I hope we see each other!
Buen Camio!!
Ethel

I've had it really badly - it lasted for a year. What helped me was all of the information above, especially the icy bottle, but also massaging the tendon with my thumbs to loosen it, and pulling my toes toward me at the same time. I also lost about 15kg (33 pounds) in weight and found that helped as well.

I've had it really badly - it lasted for a year. What helped me was all of the information above, especially the icy bottle, but also massaging the tendon with my thumbs to loosen it, and pulling my toes toward me at the same time. I also lost about 15kg (33 pounds) in weight and found that helped as well.

I'm at Weightwatchers! Have lost 30lb so far and still got 90 days before I go so hoping for some more? I think it makes sense that we strive to reduce pack weight so reducing body weight must help too?
Sarah,

Thanks for your encouragement! We leave from St. Jean on the 18th and wiil stay in Orisson our first night. I hope we see each other!
Buen Camio!!
Ethel

I will be at Gite Ultreia on the 17th and 18th perhaps nearer the time we can make an arrangement to meet? Where are you coming from Ethel?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm at Weightwatchers! Have lost 30lb so far and still got 90 days before I go so hoping for some more? I think it makes sense that we strive to reduce pack weight so reducing body weight must help too?

I will be at Gite Ultreia on the 17th and 18th perhaps nearer the time we can make an arrangement to meet? Where are you coming from Ethel?
Hi Sarah,
We will be at Gite Ultreaia the 17th!!!! Then we start walking the 18th. I am coming from Vermont, Uniteded States. We will surely see you there. May I pm you?

Hi Ethel,

I walked the Camino Frances/Fisterra/Muxia last fall. People thought I was crazy for wearing such stiff boots until, of course, I told them I had plantar fasciitis. ;) I stand for a living and without clogs, I would have to change occupations. So when looking for a shoe/boot for the camino, I kept my stiff clog sole in mind. I wore Asolo TPS 520 GV Hiking Boots with Sof Sole Plantar Fascia inserts. I purchased the boots at REI and the inserts online. This boot stood up to every terrain, ankle deep mud, rain, hail, protected my arches, heels, ankles, supported the weight of my pack, kept my socks dry... I can't say enough. And at night I could hose down the outside and put newspaper inside to absorb interior moisture. I will do my next camino with them. I even work in them now, on days I'm not feeling the clogs. :) I had them reconditioned at the 'shoe hospital' when I got home, they look beautiful. They will last for years. If this sounds like a love letter, it is. All the best and buen camino!

Hi Sarah,
We will be at Gite Ultreaia the 17th!!!! Then we start walking the 18th. I am coming from Vermont, Uniteded States. We will surely see you there. May I pm you?
Yes of course, I am having to spend an extra day in St Jean as I couldn't get a bed at Orisson till the 19th!?! Must be busy? Any questions I would be happy to help. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Reading up on yoga earlier today, I came across this terminology: Self-myofascial release.
Basically it's just a fancy term for self-massage to release muscle tightness or trigger points, and is recommended for different problems including plantar fasciitis. In other words, rolling your foot on a golf ball or a frozen water bottle; and stretching and rolling out your calves are ways of achieving this self-massage. Other useful aids against plantar fasciitis, already mentioned, are wearing more supportive shoes; wearing slippers/Crocs around the house; and doing exercises to strengthen the muscles in the foot.
Suzanne :)

Thanks, smj6, Kate B, Sheesh, jcwagener. I am taking your advice and getting slowly, but surely better!!! Cycled on Saturday, that felt great. The massage hrlps. Wow! I am finding the morning massage helps greatl. I do yoga every morning, too as part of my normal routine. Now I am wearing my Oboz Camino shoes all the time. They, with the Soul insole, are the most comfortable for me right now. I so appreciate everyone's help and support!

Thanks, smj6, Kate B, Sheesh, jcwagener. I am taking your advice and getting slowly, but surely better!!! Cycled on Saturday, that felt great. The massage hrlps. Wow! I am finding the morning massage helps greatl. I do yoga every morning, too as part of my normal routine. Now I am wearing my Oboz Camino shoes all the time. They, with the Soul insole, are the most comfortable for me right now. I so appreciate everyone's help and support!
I wore my walking shoes exclusively for 4-6 weeks before leaving for Spain. You should never walk without proper support, not even in the comfort of your own home. Birkenstocks are great for that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, @Anemone del Camino . Which kind of Birkenstocks did you wear, sandals or clogs?
I use the sandals because it's what I already had, but for next winter I will get the clogs. Assuing the sole is the same. At home I wear the cork ones, on the Camino the EVA, thinking that some support is better than none ( Crocs, etc.).

Dear Ethel

I don't remember it in earlier parts of the trail, but certainly after Triacastela you can find many places were they offer 'pilgrim massages'. We used it once, in Arzua - a chiropractor called Monica which you could book at Pension Begonia or Casa Teodora (she goes to albergues and other pensions too, but I remember those 2). She 'fixed' us for the last days on the way. My husband has flat feet and he said it was a blessing.

If you get one with good references, it may be helpful to prevent (or fix) issues.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back