• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training for the Camino

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
I found this while doing my morning - all points news reading. Generally, I will read anything that might have a Camino tie-in. This does.

I read the article and found the recommendations to be very good and valid - especially for persons unaccustomed to the Camino de Santiago. Many of the basic ideas I have used myself over many years.

Yes, this is from a primarily hunting resource, but hiking is hiking and backpacks are backpacks. Have a look:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/train-backpack-hunt/

Hope this helps,

Tom

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I don't the the 50 pounds of sand is necessary. I'd go a lot lighter, but we already live at over 7,200 ft elevation and often hike and camp at 10,000 feet.
Indeed.
I always suggested for newbies to get an idea of how it feels to walk for a day with a loaded backpack carry 6 kilos or 13 pounds of potatoes continually for at least six hours around the house rarely sitting down.

The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Easy does it.

I found this while doing my morning - all points news reading. Generally, I will read anything that might have a Camino tie-in. This does.

I read the article and found the recommendations to be very good and valid - especially for persons unaccustomed to the Camino de Santiago. Many of the basic ideas I have used myself over many years.

Yes, this is from a primarily hunting resource, but hiking is hiking and backpacks are backpacks. Have a look:

Hope this helps,

Tom
Thanks Tom,
I'm out of shape and want to do the Camino in June so I take every advice I can get.
Taking several info I set a 17 week simple plan:
- Daily walks: start with 30 min and increase 10 min each weak
- on sunday, I try to walk 2x more, and in hilly, uneven terrain
- byke, 3x weak, at least 30 min (I go to work by byke)
- 1x week, special 20 min leg workout
- I always take a backpack but, in the last two weeks, I will take the backpack full

Hope this helps,

Tom
It says "Train on Hills." Isn't that going to be a little hard for someone from Florida?

It says "Train on Hills." Isn't that going to be a little hard for someone from Florida?
When I've been asked how I train, I tend to include "Stadium Stairs" ...I go to local athletic complex outside and simply walk up and down stairs to strengthen the same muscles in legs/thighs/butt used for climbing...in addition, I've been in office buildings in inclement weather ...all free :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All, Thanks! I am going first time in Aug 2022. I have looked at the above... when do you, in your training, build up to the 6-8 hours per day that will need to happen on Camino?

I share your frustration and pain, as I live in southern Pam Beach County. A fellow Floridian who lives near Leesburg, FL, told me that she used her local high school bleachers to train on. If your area does not padlock the facilities, this is one option.

Another option, if you have access to one, is to put your backpack on, go to a gym and use the stair-master machine, or a treadmill set on an incline. I below to a LA Fitness gym and that it my plan, when and if I need it.

Tom

Core strength of back and abs are also important to comfortable pack carry. Planks and other core exercises quite valuable. Getting the feet used to the constant daily pounding goes a long way. For wilderness backpack training, I used to weight my training pack with kitty litter. Just don't walk in the rain! 😄

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hope this helps,

Tom
What's proposed in the link should work, but don't put all the weight in the bottom of the pack as that will result in an unnatural distribution that forces one to bend forward too far - better to divide the sand between several smaller bags and place at least half or more of the weight closer to the top. Agree with choosing a pack that fits you properly and carries comfortably, even high quality packs might not fit all people so best to audition them.

All, Thanks! I am going first time in Aug 2022. I have looked at the above... when do you, in your training, build up to the 6-8 hours per day that will need to happen on Camino?
Just walk. It's honestly not that hard. If you can walk a couple of hours, stop and rest, walk a couple of hours, stop and rest, walk a couple of hours, you'll be fine. It's a trek, not a mountain climb. Just pack light, get good shoes, and don't overthink it. I'll be 70 on my next birthday, as a lot of us are in that age group. It's not rocket science. Just walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
From a training thread a few months ago; although posted in jest, I do believe there is some validity to this method.

If I were to do it differently, training would be more realistic. I would walk around the outskirts of the city stopping every 3-4 miles for a coffee or beer break, take my shoes off, and chat with the locals for 15-20 minutes at every stop.

From a training thread a few months ago; although posted in jest, I do believe there is some validity to this method.
If I were to do it differently, training would be more realistic. I would walk around the outskirts of the city stopping every 3-4 miles for a coffee or beer break, take my shoes off, and chat with the locals for 15-20 minutes at every stop.

That's kind of how I trained, and I've organized a training walk for my local American Pilgrims on the Camino chapter that will be about 14 miles on a greenway trail. We will start in the middle, and on one end there is a small town where we can get some lunch, and on the other end there is a winery. Plus, along the trail there are benches, picnic tables and restrooms.

What's proposed in the link should work, but don't put all the weight in the bottom of the pack as that will result in an unnatural distribution that forces one to bend forward too far - better to divide the sand between several smaller bags and place at least half or more of the weight closer to the top. Agree with choosing a pack that fits you properly and carries comfortably, even high quality packs might not fit all people so best to audition them.
If the pack is properly fitted that should not happen as the weight will be on the hips rather than the shoulders. It is worth going to the pack supplier and asking them to help you get it properly fitted. Many outdoor shops will do this as an investment in your future custom.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like to build up the weight in my backpack and train with it. But not with bags of sand. I just start with some of the kit I'll take and gradually increase this. It helps me learn how to comfortably pack too. When I walked the Inglés I'd never carried a pack before so I had a lot to learn. How and where you position your kit makes a huge difference I discovered. It also gave me experience tweaking the straps eg the load lifters. They are still a mystery to me but I can adjust them until it feels the best now.

Rather than bags of sand, I use plastic bottles of water (1,2 or 5 litres) padded out with towels to fill out the backpack and spread the weight where I want it.
It you are tired or when you are finished just tip out some of the water and if it is hot drink some.

Many people, me included, simply train ON the Camino by starting out doing shorter stages and slowly increasing distance. Brierley (and other) stages aren't written in stone. They are simply suggestions.
Same for me Anniesantiago. For my first Camino Frances I trained for ages beforehand. For the 2nd I didn't train at all. Didn't find a whole lot of difference really. The first week is always hard and then you're used to it hey? Oh, and I'm not young (we not super young - I was 57 on the first and 61 when I did my 2nd one).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've been playing with the idea of getting a weighted vest that goes from 11-20lbs. I'd wear it on the tread at the gym and around the house. I think carrying the extra weight would be helpful, but it doesn't really mimic a backpack.

This is my third one, so I get the "you don't have to train", but I would really like to avoid the foot pain from the extra weight and temper the sore legs on the first days.

This is my third one, so I get the "you don't have to train", but I would really like to avoid the foot pain from the extra weight and temper the sore legs on the first days
I don't think that anyone ever said that they were in too good of shape to walk the Camino. 😉

One year we vacationed on an island in Florida during my Camino training… I got “hills” by walking with my pack back and forth over the bridge connecting to the mainland… It worked pretty well… Buen Camino!

Just walk. It's honestly not that hard. If you can walk a couple of hours, stop and rest, walk a couple of hours, stop and rest, walk a couple of hours, you'll be fine. It's a trek, not a mountain climb. Just pack light, get good shoes, and don't overthink it. I'll be 70 on my next birthday, as a lot of us are in that age group. It's not rocket science. Just walk.
I agree with this approach. Walking as much as I can is my training plan for old age, and it coincidentally prepares me for the Camino. The daypack and odds and ends that I carry every day at home weigh about 2 kg (4 lb). Then I carry a gallon of milk (4 kg) or similar home from the grocery store. When I put on my Camino backpack with its wonderful hip belt and only 6 kg of gear, I have no problem.

I do not train on hills very much. When I encounter a hill, I simply walk slowly. (But I do walk up and down stairs at home dozens of times every day as a normal activity.)

Loading your pack with sand will not simulate a backpack full mainly of clothes and sleeping bag.

I agree with @C clearly
I actually put into my backpack the clothes and kit I take with me, along with 2 litres of water in the bladder. That's as good as it gets, no need for sand or anything else. Just use your own kit. (Which I'm assuming everyone can provide)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I live in the NE part of the USA and tend not to train outdoors in the winter months as the streets are treacherous from snow/ice and I choose not to risk any injury that would prevent my Camino from taking place. In those months before March I train at home with pilates and upper body weight training to strengthen my core. Once the roads open up, I begin with daily 4-5 mile walks for a few weeks, then add hills and miles as the weeks go by. I include walking stadium stairs for quads, buttocks. Keep in mind that walking the 6-8 hour days are not continual walking as you do stop for coffee, first breakfast, second breakfast, lunch, snack, etc... your training should also reflect these little breaks. Learn to listen to your body and give it what it needs...foot care, food, hydration, rest. I tend to train for a comfortable endurance covering an amount of distance rather than time and it all works out. After 8 Camino's, 'training' year round is second nature, and 'earnest training' is 4 months prior to departure.

Thanks Tom,
I'm out of shape and want to do the Camino in June so I take every advice I can get.
Taking several info I set a 17 week simple plan:
- Daily walks: start with 30 min and increase 10 min each weak
- on sunday, I try to walk 2x more, and in hilly, uneven terrain
- byke, 3x weak, at least 30 min (I go to work by byke)
- 1x week, special 20 min leg workout
- I always take a backpack but, in the last two weeks, I will take the backpack full
The best advice I can give you is travel light !!! I have walked 6 different Camino’s and each time I take less kit .
Take it easy from the start , stop on a regular basis lots of fluid and take your boots off when you stop

The best advice I can give you is travel light !!! I have walked 6 different Camino’s and each time I take less kit .
Take it easy from the start , stop on a regular basis lots of fluid and take your boots off when you stop
Yes, I think my concern about the unknown might lead me to take more than I actually need. Specially because I have the idea that the Camino Primitvo has some areas with little services. In a different thread I am getting good advice on loosing some back pack weight :)

You mentioned to take boots off when I stop. I thought that I could loosen the straps a little bit on the stops but I should not take the boots off. Now I’m puzzled…

Yes, I think my concern about the unknown might lead me to take more than I actually need. Specially because I have the idea that the Camino Primitvo has some areas with little services. In a different thread I am getting good advice on loosing some back pack weight :)

You mentioned to take boots off when I stop. I thought that I could loosen the straps a little bit on the stops but I should not take the boots off. Now I’m puzzled…
Trust me take your boots and socks off and do this every two hours , your feet will feel like new . If you use a walking, place the pole between your boots and place your socks on the pole to dry out .
Never forget if you are walking and you feel a burning sensation or rubbing on your feet stop immediately and treat your feet , otherwise you will end up with blisters that will cause unnecessary pain. I have never had a blister on all my walks .
Make sure you get the right boots , if your feet give up all the training in the world will not see you through

Trust me take your boots and socks off and do this every two hours , your feet will feel like new .
Definitely! Give them air, let them breathe, and check for hotspots/impending blisters. And also - boots aren't necessary. Check out lighter shoes with good soles.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Definitely! Give them air, let them breathe, and check for hotspots/impending blisters. And also - boots aren't necessary. Check out lighter shoes with good soles.
Agree that in summer, trail runners may be enough depending on the route. We are prior Army and taking off shoes and socks at intervals is a part of training. I used to get really annoyed with my spouse because he would walk 50 meters and want to relace his shoes. On the other hand I got blisters and he never did.

Indeed.
I always suggested for newbies to get an idea of how it feels to walk for a day with a loaded backpack carry 6 kilos or 13 pounds of potatoes continually for at least six hours around the house rarely sitting down.

The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Easy does it.
Agree

Never forget if you are walking and you feel a burning sensation or rubbing on your feet stop immediately and treat your feet
In my training walks I have noticed some spots on my feet that are more reactive. Should I put preventive tape in there before walking (and before any blister or red appears) ? Or will that prevent feet from breathing ?

In my training walks I have noticed some spots on my feet that are more reactive. Should I put preventive tape in there before walking (and before any blister or red appears) ? Or will that prevent feet from breathing ?
Absolutely put tape on spots that are more blister prone! I like tapes like Omnifix and Hypafix that are thin, flexible and breathable. Both are widely available in pharmacies in Spain.

I've been playing with the idea of getting a weighted vest that goes from 11-20lbs. I'd wear it on the tread at the gym and around the house. I think carrying the extra weight would be helpful, but it doesn't really mimic a backpack.

This is my third one, so I get the "you don't have to train", but I would really like to avoid the foot pain from the extra weight and temper the sore legs on the first days.
I did buy one years ago when they were on sale. The weights sit in pockets in the vest, they are removable. Recently I returned from a local 7 day walk and when I emptied my backpack I found 5x500gm of them at the bottom of my pack, under my clothes - I'd obviously put them there while mucking about with my pack - and forgotten them. I thought I was feeling the weight of my pack more than I should.

Additionally you can apply a special patch to the shoe; maybe you can get away only with that product. The well respected @davebugg has written quite a review of his testing of Engo patches. He is a professional hiking and backpacking gear tester.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Same for me Anniesantiago. For my first Camino Frances I trained for ages beforehand. For the 2nd I didn't train at all. Didn't find a whole lot of difference really. The first week is always hard and then you're used to it hey? Oh, and I'm not young (we not super young - I was 57 on the first and 61 when I did my 2nd one).
It was exactly the opposite for me. I didn't train much or at all for my 2016 Camino, but tried "on the Camino training" starting with days that were about 15 km and gradually building up to 25-30km days by the late meseta. I was certainly able to complete the Camino, but with a lot of pain, regular intake of lots of ibuprofen (which I don't think was good for me) and a knee brace acquired on the way. A year later I started to train seriously for my 2018 Camino. I found that, after a year of inactivity, I still retained a lot of conditioning from my 2016 Camino and training was a lot less hard for me. When I walked the 2018 Camino there was not significant pain, I needed neither ibuprofen nor knee brace. I will train for future Caminos.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many people, me included, simply train ON the Camino by starting out doing shorter stages and slowly increasing distance. Brierley (and other) stages aren't written in stone. They are simply suggestions.

I'm doing some training now, but I'm also planning on the shorter stages/slower pace thing. On the Frances, @Anniesantiago, what stops do you like and for how long before you start increasing distance?

Hope this helps,

Tom
Thanks for the recommendations. I let my daily life get in the way of training or really just fitness in general.

I’m keen to get back into the habit of training, and I’m starting super small, but there are mountains like 20km from me. The Great Wall is *right there*—so I’m going to slowly build up to this advice. Thank you again for sharing. (Not doing the 50lb of sand though. Ever.)

Ok, I ended up getting a weighted vest (11-20lbs). I've been wearing it as 11lbs on the tread at the gym and then doing a 5k walk everyday with it at 20lbs. There is a noticeable difference in my body.

I had already been doing pretty intense exercise classes (Orange Theory for those in the know) 4 days a week. With adding the vest and the walks I am seeing improvements across the board.

I also like that I am training with more weight than I will be carrying. The last two times I did it my legs were so incredibly sore. I'm really hoping that this will help lessen that pain. We will find ouit in 2.5 months!

Good thread!

We are planning our first camino in fall this year and started some light training.

Power walking every weekday 1 mile and on weekends hiking 2-3 miles with light pack (we are not carrying a heavy backpack due to luggage transport services).

Just ordered a pair of Altra Olympus 4 trail shoes....

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.