• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training when you can't walk (outside)?

AlexanderAZ

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 (Sept/Oct): CF: SJPdP-->Fisterra-->Muxia (solo)
2019 (late Sept): CF: SJPdP-->Leon (honeymoon!)
For those who have completed a Camino, what do suggest as best preparation when one is unable to walk outside? I live in a region where it is hot this time of year. I read things on this forum about it being hot along the meseta. Pffffffff. You don't know HOT. The next 5 days here are 115/119/121/118/117 so no walking outside (except to get to your car's A/C). Would seem a treadmill at as gym might suffice but I still have no way to train for the decent of the Pyrenees. Any suggestions? I lift weights regularly but I don't know how to best prepare my feet (specifically). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Does your gym have a treadmill where you can adjust the inclination? Stairs are also handy ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Does your gym have a treadmill where you can adjust the inclination? Stairs are also handy ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Treadmills don't do a decline, just an incline. Honestly I'm most concerned about the decent.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is hard to train for the Camino and most Camino repeat offenders mostly just go and the physical part will take care of itself within a few days.

That said, my last Camino had been easy despite doing 100 km within 3 days to Segovia (Camino del Madrid). I don't even have to cater for the physical. I attribute that to doing 3 basic exercise (3 minutes, around 1 minute each) daily at home. Keep it simple, no needs for reps but do it daily.

1. Push up until can't do anymore. For me 30.
2. Sit ups (actually crunches). Right now around 120.
3. Burpees (the basic one without the push up or jump at the end). Right now around 25.

Camino may be mainly on the lower body but one should be fit all round to help. The last exercise (burpees) will help you build thighs of steel and help you on your ascent/descent. You will be panting at the end but that helps also on stamina.

@AlexanderAZ I think you might be overthinking your preparation a bit. The goal should be overall fitness and avoiding injuries while pursuing that goal. This can be achieved by walking, strength training and don't forget stretching. I wouldn't worry too much about specific areas of the Camino...just focus on taking care of your body and keep on moving.

For the descent to Roncesvalles you could build a steep ramp in your back yard and cover it with wet leaves. Toss on a few rocks. Spray with a garden hose when it starts to dry out.

Another important aspect of preparation is to put concrete-filled shoe boxes over your shoes to train for walking in mud! The ramp would be useful as well. :D

Also, perhaps your gym has a large shower where you can walk fully clothed for a few hours. :p! Bring the ramp and the mud simulators along. :cool:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Maybe walking early morning or late evening when it is cooler could be part of the solution.

I live in Coastal North Carolina and it is extremely hot, high humidity, and totally flat. I can do some walking in the early morning but this time of year go to the gym a lot. Last year I walked the CF with this kind of training and I was fine at 70 years old -- walked slowly, took it easy, built up on the Camino. You will be fine with your gym training and whatever walking you can do, just listen to your body when you get started and don't push too hard at the beginning.

For those who have completed a Camino, what do suggest as best preparation when one is unable to walk outside? I live in a region where it is hot this time of year. I read things on this forum about it being hot along the meseta. Pffffffff. You don't know HOT. The next 5 days here are 115/119/121/118/117 so no walking outside (except to get to your car's A/C). Would seem a treadmill at as gym might suffice but I still have no way to train for the decent of the Pyrenees. Any suggestions? I lift weights regularly but I don't know how to best prepare my feet (specifically). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Hi @AlexanderAZ, I'm not sure I can help much, but may I suggest some lateral thinking. I assume you're planning on a big section of the Camino Frances.

I live in Australia. I walked my first Camino last year (2016) - 800kms of the CF. I trained for a year before heading to Spain. But I skipped the hottest weather, both during training and on the Camino. I started walking last few days in March and got to Santiago not quite a week into May. Spring in Galicia was paradise.

My toughest day was the first - walking up to Roncesvalles. Probably a combination of nerves and gradually coming down from an adrenalin rush after the first few hours. The Napoleon Route was still closed - jammed with snow. There was also snow up at Rocesvalles, but after walking a couple hours down from R. I got clear of the snow and never saw any again. Although it was zero degrees centigrade (=freezing) when I was in Burgos, so that was a near thing.

The descent that I found the most strenuous is down towards Molinaseca, just before Ponferrada. You'll be fit by then but I strongly recommend walking poles, I found it treacherous - it was wet. Alto De Perdon was not as difficult as I expected but it's the round stones in eroded gullies that make things difficult on the worst descents. Your ankles will take a hit every time all your body weight lands on one ankle at a time and the ankle pops to a new position because the rocks are round and unstable.

My first Camino decision was not to walk in summer. I thought my feet might sweat and blisters might happen. It's easier to control body temp with layers in cooler weather than to be stuck in the heat, as you know better than most.

I think that overall fitness is most important. I have a small exercise machine which is like a rowing machine. I was able to train walking using walking poles and carrying a pack - did that for the final couple of months. (In ALL weather. You'll never get used to walking all day in the rain but it's useful to experience it a few times before you get out there.) Using walking poles properly takes a lot of stress off your legs - going uphill it's like having 4 legs! Poles are essential going downhill - for stability and safety as well as protecting ankles and knees from shocks. Without training your upper body you won't be as ready as you might otherwise be. That would be OK a couple of weeks in, I expect.

Feet are a whole other issue. I never got a single blister but that's basically a genetic thing regardless of what anyone says on the forum (Google "skin shear, blisters"). I have weak arches and a weak ankle so I got a bad case of plantar fasciitis on the Camino. But everyone is different - this is never more true than regarding feet. I have gathered info about strategies which will help me to control plantar fasciitis if it rears its ugly head again. A major strategy re feet is to give yourself an out - stop half way and go back the following year, for instance. Look out for people who say "just wear such-and-such brand of shoe/boot and all your prayers will be answered." You have to discover what suits you specifically. It's a complex issue and if you accept that, you'll be open to learning more.

There are different stretches for calves and achilles/feet. For arches: stand on a step at home with just the balls of your feet on the step, then slowly lower yourself down an inch or so, hold, slowly up to start position, hold, repeat. Difficult but over time, it will strengthen your arches which is where the stress is while walking. If your legs get stiff and sore (duh) get a massage once in a while and maybe take magnesium supplements for muscle soreness. Take regular days off - you're not a hero, an Olympic athlete, or a machine. Stay hydrated, you need more than you think.

I was 72 while walking last year, so some might think that a geezer's experience might not apply. I disagree. Future strategies for me include walking max 400kms. Others can walk 1000kms and turn around and go back, maybe you can too. Lucky you. I have learned to accept that I personally can't do that.

Some people will say "Just go. Don't overthink it." I suspect that means "God/The Camino will take care of you." I take care of me.

Any questions, please contact me via a personal conversation, no problem. You'll almost certainly get a lot of conflicting advice here on your thread. Everyone wants to help but you need time to discover what suits you - physically and other ways too. I'm not a machine and I assume you aren't either.

Buen Camino, Have a wonderful time. I did and I'm planning my next trip(s) now.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The "decent of the Pyrenees" can be a walk along a paved road that leads down the mountain. Just don't take the fast route that goes straight down the mountain in the forest. The alternate route has some forest sections and was recommended at the SJPdP pilgrim office when I was there in 2015.

Use the stairs, up and down, and if practical do it wearing your walking boots/shoes. Not lifts/elevators or escalators. Do this as often as possible as every little bit of training helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For the descent to Roncesvalles you could build a steep ramp in your back yard and cover it with wet leaves. Toss on a few rocks. Spray with a garden hose when it starts to dry out.

Another important aspect of preparation is to put concrete-filled shoe boxes over your shoes to train for walking in mud! The ramp would be useful as well. :D

Also, perhaps your gym has a large shower where you can walk fully clothed for a few hours. :p! Bring the ramp and the mud simulators along. :cool:
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhaahahahahahahahaha I love it !!! lmao

A guy with a backpack in the stairwell doesn't make people in suits feel very comfortable and it quickly draws the attention of building security. Tried that, I'll pass on repeating that experience!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I read things on this forum about it being hot along the meseta. Pffffffff. You don't know HOT. The next 5 days here are 115/119/121/118/117 so no walking outside.
In 2014, the week after I left, temps reached 38ºC and I have heard of 42ºC

So you have to deconstruct the physical elements necessary for a successful walk, and re-engineer ways to train them. In general, you will need cardiovascular stamina (run on a treadmill, or row on a machine, or use an elliptical - High intensity interval training is very effective, and most of those machines will have computers that set up such a routine for you). For hills, you need to strengthen your quads, hamstrings and glutes - targeted weightlifting, squats, lunges or climbing the stairs at your high school football stadium or a stairwell at a friendly office tower. And you will benefit from a stronger core - planks, any of the several upper/lower abs and obliques exercises (youtube is a great recourse).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@AlexanderAZ you can get up at 5am to train. Put a torch on your head.
What about your 71yo Dad? What's he doing?
Good plan. I live in Peoria and as I am an early riser I have been leaving by 5 to do my regular training walks. It's light by then anyway. It's cooling off at night (at least for the time being) so as long as you finish by 8 or so you will be OK.

A guy with a backpack in the stairwell doesn't make people in suits feel very comfortable and it quickly draws the attention of building security. Tried that, I'll pass on repeating that experience!
How about finding some stairs in a community centre / exercise facility (no suits there!) and introduce yourself to the front desk / security. Surely they will understand?!

Dare I add shopping mall to that? :confused:

I also live in the "Valley of the Sun". No way can I walk during the day now. It gets light at about 4:30am, and is cool for about an hour. Once the sun is up - you are toast. My patio was 95F, in the shade right before the sun was going down.

There are many nights it never gets below 90F here.

We go up to Flagstaff to walk Fry Canyon. About 7 miles (one way), starts at the Kachina Village exit, right by the gas station. Still have to get an early start as it is getting hot in the mountains as well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And if you really want UP. Walk into Kachina Village. Past the store, to your right at the T. Keep going, there is a part that is an 8% grade. It's a killer if you try to push it.

Go to Ancient Trail (or road or something), go left. If you find the fire station, you have gone too far. Always bear / turn left and you will come out back near the gas station. It's about 5 miles.

Lots of up and down.

Last edited:
I am also from AZ training for the Camino this fall. I have been doing my long hikes very early in the morning (5-9am). Luckily for us, the extreme heat too will pass with the incoming monsoons in a couple weeks which should continue to make mornings doable. It sounds like you are starting your pilgrimage the week after me. How fun to walk with you dad. What I have read is that you need strong quads and glutes to do the climbs/descents as well as helping to avoid stress fractures. Luckily that is all indoor strength training and sounds like something you are already doing. What I plan to do this summer is to keep my eye on the weather, and anytime there is a cooler morning I will be out hiking. It sounds like you are in Phoenix where you have a nice availability of good hiking trails to help you train. I am also going to head out during some of the good rains in the afternoon to test out my rain gear. We certainly don't have the luxury of cool weather on our side, but I think there are still good opportunities to get out and walk to get in distance and mileage on our shoes, etc. A good blog I read from a couple from phoenix, Gary and Elizabeth Parkinson (http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/entry/521194). I know that Elizabeth does guided hikes every saturday for camino prep. They also might be able to give you some good training advice. Buen Camino

Hi @AlexanderAZ, I'm not sure I can help much, but may I suggest some lateral thinking. I assume you're planning on a big section of the Camino Frances.

I live in Australia. I walked my first Camino last year (2016) - 800kms of the CF. I trained for a year before heading to Spain. But I skipped the hottest weather, both during training and on the Camino. I started walking last few days in March and got to Santiago not quite a week into May. Spring in Galicia was paradise.

My toughest day was the first - walking up to Roncesvalles. Probably a combination of nerves and gradually coming down from an adrenalin rush after the first few hours. The Napoleon Route was still closed - jammed with snow. There was also snow up at Rocesvalles, but after walking a couple hours down from R. I got clear of the snow and never saw any again. Although it was zero degrees centigrade (=freezing) when I was in Burgos, so that was a near thing.

The descent that I found the most strenuous is down towards Molinaseca, just before Ponferrada. You'll be fit by then but I strongly recommend walking poles, I found it treacherous - it was wet. Alto De Perdon was not as difficult as I expected but it's the round stones in eroded gullies that make things difficult on the worst descents. Your ankles will take a hit every time all your body weight lands on one ankle at a time and the ankle pops to a new position because the rocks are round and unstable.

My first Camino decision was not to walk in summer. I thought my feet might sweat and blisters might happen. It's easier to control body temp with layers in cooler weather than to be stuck in the heat, as you know better than most.

I think that overall fitness is most important. I have a small exercise machine which is like a rowing machine. I was able to train walking using walking poles and carrying a pack - did that for the final couple of months. (In ALL weather. You'll never get used to walking all day in the rain but it's useful to experience it a few times before you get out there.) Using walking poles properly takes a lot of stress off your legs - going uphill it's like having 4 legs! Poles are essential going downhill - for stability and safety as well as protecting ankles and knees from shocks. Without training your upper body you won't be as ready as you might otherwise be. That would be OK a couple of weeks in, I expect.

Feet are a whole other issue. I never got a single blister but that's basically a genetic thing regardless of what anyone says on the forum (Google "skin shear, blisters"). I have weak arches and a weak ankle so I got a bad case of plantar fasciitis on the Camino. But everyone is different - this is never more true than regarding feet. I have gathered info about strategies which will help me to control plantar fasciitis if it rears its ugly head again. A major strategy re feet is to give yourself an out - stop half way and go back the following year, for instance. Look out for people who say "just wear such-and-such brand of shoe/boot and all your prayers will be answered." You have to discover what suits you specifically. It's a complex issue and if you accept that, you'll be open to learning more.

There are different stretches for calves and achilles/feet. For arches: stand on a step at home with just the balls of your feet on the step, then slowly lower yourself down an inch or so, hold, slowly up to start position, hold, repeat. Difficult but over time, it will strengthen your arches which is where the stress is while walking. If your legs get stiff and sore (duh) get a massage once in a while and maybe take magnesium supplements for muscle soreness. Take regular days off - you're not a hero, an Olympic athlete, or a machine. Stay hydrated, you need more that you think.

I was 72 while walking last year, so some might think that a geezer's experience might not apply. I disagree. Future strategies for me include walking max 400kms. Others can walk 1000kms and turn around and go back, maybe you can too. Lucky you. I have learned to accept that I personally can't do that.

Some people will say "Just go. Don't overthink it." I suspect that means "God/The Camino will take care of you." I take care of me.

Any questions, please contact me via a personal conversation, no problem. You'll almost certainly get a lot of conflicting advice here on your thread. Everyone wants to help but you need time to discover what suits you - physically and other ways too. I'm not a machine and I assume you aren't either.

Buen Camino, Have a wonderful time. I did and I'm planning my next trip(s) now.

Mike

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Excellent Mike, I have planned my pilgrimage from end of August to 6 October, from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago on to Finisterre. I too am 72, I done 90 miles into Santiago last year and I am in training now for August. Looking forward to it.

Excellent Mike, I have planned my pilgrimage from end of August to 6 October, from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago on to Finisterre. I too am 72, I done 90 miles into Santiago last year and I am in training now for August. Looking forward to it.
Hi Peter,

I'm glad there was some useful info there for you. I sometimes get carried away and my posts get a bit overlong for some. I often write with the uninitiated in mind and not so much as a narrowly focussed answer to the original post.

The weather should cool down a little for you at that time.

Have a good one. Buen Camino, - Mike

Do it without the pack at first. Then talk to building security and let them know what you are doing. And/or use a more public building (at a university?). You only need a few stories high to make it work. Up, down, up, down, wash, rinse, repeat.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Peter,

I'm glad there was some useful info there for you. I sometimes get carried away and my posts get a bit overlong for some. I often write with the uninitiated in mind and not so much as a narrowly focussed answer to the original post.

The weather should cool down a little for you at that time.

Have a good one. Buen Camino, - Mike
As an uninitiated Camino walker (planning on mid-May 2018), I absolutely appreciate your long, thorough responses! Thank you!!

@AlexanderAZ you can get up at 5am to train. Put a torch on your head.
What about your 71yo Dad? What's he doing?

He doesn't live in my state and is smart enough to not visit during the summer-lol!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Anyone doing any kind of training is doing more than I did. And I had no problems.

Also from Arizona! I recommend getting up early as possible, I find just just walking for a bit every day helps. Even if it is not too long.When it is really hot, I don't wear my backpack just bring lots of water. It makes walking when the temperature is pleasant feel so much easier. I agree with others that overall fitness makes a big difference so use whatever cardio machines you have access too. And don't be like me and ignore the shoulders! This time I am trying hard not to neglect my upper body.

Your post made me laugh out loud

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You could come to New Zealand. We've had rain every day but a handful for the past three months! In another month spring will be arriving and that's when it really rains;-)
You must live in Auckland. Out in the rural back blocks we've had a week of fine crisp days which have been great for chainsawing and wood splitting, not sure if this is good for Camino training but is great for cardio and overall fitness.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You must live in Auckland. Out in the rural back blocks we've had a week of fine crisp days which have been great for chainsawing and wood splitting, not sure if this is good for Camino training but is great for cardio and overall fitness.
You're right - I'm in Auckland. But we too have just had a beautiful week (it's been three weeks since my previous post!) However, yesterday was September 1st and spring arrived and the rain returned and looks like it's set in until Christmas! The plums are in blossom though and first bulbs bursting into flower under the mandarin trees - makes me think of Via de la Plata wildflowers.

I have no practical experience, but someone at the gym was training for a Kilimanjaro ascent. Was using the treadmill on its steepest angle, walking uphill backwards.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
As an uninitiated Camino walker (planning on mid-May 2018), I absolutely appreciate your long, thorough responses! Thank you!!
I’ve been reading this forum for some time now, and my feelings rapidly seem to go from excitement to terror!
Well, thought it was time to involve myself more.
I live in a very hot part of the country ( Australia) And am a bit concerned about the training..
I too am planning to start walking Mid May 2018. Each time I read a post, I am spurred on to get walking!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I was 69 when I walked the Camino Frances. It didn't occur to me to worry too much about training for ascents/descents, I just walked. The city streets around where I lived were, in part, fairly hilly, but certainly not steep. Once on the Camino, I was surprised what easy walking most of it was - apart from that wretched section towards Molinaseca. If you can walk around 10km with your loaded pack before you leave home, I doubt you'll have too much of a problem.

Good plan. I live in Peoria and as I am an early riser I have been leaving by 5 to do my regular training walks. It's light by then anyway. It's cooling off at night (at least for the time being) so as long as you finish by 8 or so you will be OK.

Heading on the Portuguese same time frame as you. Lived in Peoria. Would enjoy getting in touch to chat!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back