• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

training

w cleveland

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP-Santiago '13
Just competed my final training with a 11 mike hike on the Pacific Coast Trail which intersects with the Tahoe Rim Trail. Started out at 8,250 feet and climbed to a max altitude of 9,230 feet. A bit of a gut check especially with all the smoke billowing in from the Yosemite fire. It was a crisp morning day of 40 degrees but I believed this hike would serve me well the first day out of St jean Pied du Port on the 19th of September. The total ascent was 2,797 feet and over 3732 of total descent. Now I just need to prepare for the joy of meeting new people and absorb the ambiance of the Camino Francis. buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have hiked those same trails and consider Fallen Leaf Lake my home.

Good on you for using this as your training ground. After the first day starting from SJPdP, you will not have much of any climbs as these. Most importantly for me is to prepare for walking long distances (or not) every day for a month. You are probably already fit and ready to go. Everything you have prepared for will provide what you want. The Camino will provide what you need.

When do you walk?

Yes, the Camino is wonderful. However, as you alluded to above, there are the most beautiful people to meet along the Way.

Leave for Dublin on Monday the 16th, fly to biarritz on the 18th, and start from SJPdP on the 19th of September. The larricka expedition is off and running.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I start from SJPdP on 23rd September........Look forward to meeting people "The Way"....
I live in Sydney city, Australia. There isn't any mountain nearby for uphill training.......
However I am able to train self with carried 16kgs weight of dumb-bells in Deuter backpack & walk 7 hours beach hike on every other day.......then rotate with jogging for 100 minutes.......
I got my blisters @ first 10 times training...........NOW I think my foot is used to the LONG distance walk.
Here I come........"El Camino de Santiago"
Buen Camino

Just competed my final training with a 11 mike hike on the Pacific Coast Trail which intersects with the Tahoe Rim Trail. Started out at 8,250 feet and climbed to a max altitude of 9,230 feet. A bit of a gut check especially with all the smoke billowing in from the Yosemite fire. It was a crisp morning day of 40 degrees but I believed this hike would serve me well the first day out of St jean Pied du Port on the 19th of September. The total ascent was 2,797 feet and over 3732 of total descent. Now I just need to prepare for the joy of meeting new people and absorb the ambiance of the Camino Francis. buen camino
If you can hike the Pacific CREST Trail for that distance, then we know you are fit. Have a great Camino and continue to pay attention to your body.

I believe it is difficult to train for walking a Half marathon a day for a month. That said, I believe both of you have conditioned your bodies and feet to a point where acclimation to the daily routine will be easier. Just start slowly and take care of any hot spots (feet) as soon as possible.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Been training for over a year now (68). Plan is to step out mid Sept 14 . To date Im up to one slipped disk ( repaired) and one injuried right foot ( almost repaired ) but I'm still walking! Was doing hills and valleys now back to the flats . But all the Doctors are saying I'm going be ready . So .. Here's the training plan

1. Heal up 4 more weeks .. walking only 3 mi (5 km) a day 12 lb pack
2 Nov 5 mi (8 km) 3 days a week 15 lb pack
3 Dec 5 mi (8 km) 3 days a week 15 lb pack w/ minor hills
4. Jan , Feb , March same as 3. with 20 lb packs
5 April walk 15 mi full weight ( 20 lb) 3 consecutive days .

This is the go /no go month .. if we make it

6. Purchase all equipment, break it in and continue 3-5 mi daily
7 June . Purchase airline tickets
8. Maintain until Sept ..
9 Woo Hoo !
10... never end a list in an odd number .. I hear thats bad luck
:)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back