• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training

Theresag

Time of past OR future Camino
July August 2018
hi all, I want to walk the Camino France in July/August 2017, I want to stArt training now, can someone give me a really good training programme so that I can stRt slowly, I cannot go to gym but am prepared to walk 3 x during week and then do a longer walk at weekend. Any advise would be helpful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First start by walking comfortably 30 minutes per day, increasing to 45, then 60, then 75 mins, then 90 mins per day - 3 times a week. Do this until Jan 2017. Then every Sunday do a 2 and then 3 hour walk. See how it goes.

it really depends how fit you are already ;-) Simply start walking more and more each day instead of taking the car f.e. then add a backpack and slowly increase distance and weight in the backpack. Later try to add weekend tours or similar with a backpack that carries all your gear that you plan to take on the camino.

Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last year and this year we have commenced our training in January by following a training schedule produced by a committee that organises a "JFK 50 mile Challenge" walk in aid of the Irish Cancer Society and the Larcc Centre ( a local respite centre in Multyfarnham , Co. Westmeath ). Basically it starts with 2 midweek walks of 2 miles which increase over 5 months to 5 miles and a long walk at the weekend which starts at 8 miles and increases to 25-30 miles before the big walk of 50 miles which was on the 11th June. The other 4 days of the week I would still walk my dog but due to work commitments distance might be shorter than 2 miles. I would also recommend doing your training walks first thing in the morning if possible as this is what you will do on Camino. Also incorporate some hills into your routes .This worked for me in that I got no blisters at all on either of the 50 mile challenge walks .I intend to continue this routine i.e. 2 midweek walks of 5 miles each with a longer walk at the weekend . So hopefully this year when we walk the full camino in Sept / Oct , we will have no problems either.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back