• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training

suzie Gibbons

Time of past OR future Camino
Future- April 2017
My partner & I are due to walk from St Jean on April 26th and have started waking 3-8 miles 3-4 times a week: what / how much training did past pilgrims do and was it enough? Were hoping to cover 18-20 miles per day once there.....TIA

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You should try to walk on consecutive days. I'd say between 5 and 10 miles. This will give you a good idea of how your feet will hold up day after day.

There is a rule of thumb sometimes bandied about.
It says that says you should plan to achieve, in the couple of weeks before you leave, three consecutive days of your estimated daily distance, in your case 18-20 miles.
Whilst I have never achieved such exhalted heights in my training (I got to 10ks a day) I can assure you that if you attain this goal, you will be extremely well prepared.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My partner & I are due to walk from St Jean on April 26th and have started waking 3-8 miles 3-4 times a week: what / how much training did past pilgrims do and was it enough? Were hoping to cover 18-20 miles per day once there.....TIA
That converts to a training plan of 15-50 km per week. I try to get to 50-70 km (30-45 miles) per week before departure, and have found it to be adequate, but I do not plan to walk 18-20 miles per day. I can do so upon occasion, but it isn't my plan.

I don't train much on hills. On the camino, I just slow right down on hills. I guess that's why I don't get 18-20 miles done in a day!

That said, many pilgrims walk the route successfully with no training!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That converts to a training plan of 15-50 km per week. I try to get to 50-70 km (30-45 miles) per week before departure, and have found it to be adequate, but I do not plan to walk 18-20 miles per day. I can do so upon occasion, but it isn't my plan.

I don't train much on hills. On the camino, I just slow right down on hills. I guess that's why I don't get 18-20 miles done in a day!

That said, many pilgrims walk the route successfully with no training!

Thank you.....we managed 35 in four days last week and I guess were lucky we live in a very hilly area- exmoor!!
Suzie

I think if you live somewhere with a lot of hills you can manage reasonably easily you will be well prepared.

I only manage to get out for a training walk twice a week, Thursdays and Sundays, so not even consecutive. With everything else going on, I can rarely spare the time to walk more than 10km. But that will always include at least 2 long steep ascents and descents (of around 1km each).

On the Camino I find I can easily walk 18-20km. I think the walking on hills really helps with my fitness and feel gives me more a lot more stamina than if I walked only on more level ground when training.

But if you are walking further when training, and more often, and including hills, you are unlikely to have many problems with covering your distances. Buen Camino!

I think if you live somewhere with a lot of hills you can manage reasonably easily you will be well prepared.

I only manage to get out for a training walk twice a week, Thursdays and Sundays, so not even consecutive. With everything else going on, I can rarely spare the time to walk more than 10km. But that will always include at least 2 long steep ascents and descents (of around 1km each).

On the Camino I find I can easily walk 18-20km. I think the walking on hills really helps with my fitness and feel gives me more a lot more stamina than if I walked only on more level ground when training.

But if you are walking further when training, and more often, and including hills, you are unlikely to have many problems with covering your distances. Buen Camino!
That's reassuring, thank you.....x

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hi, you might need to factor in the weight of your backpacks. The less you carry the easier it will be. I hike every weekend with my local rambling club, but otherwise I don’t train before a camino. I start slow (e.g if starting at SJPDP I always stop overnight at either Valcarlos or Orisson), and I gradually increase my distance each day depending on how I feel at the time. Oh, and I pack light. Jill

I did not thoroughly read all the post - but if not mentioned I recommend you start carrying a backpack - preferably the ones you will use on the Camino. Start out with a light load - (under 10 pounds / 4 kg) and build up as your leg strength improves. Aim to be walking the 18 miles / 30 kg (say) 3 days for week carrying a 10kg/22 pound load. This way you are following the regime you will encounter on the Camino. I try to add in some hills (even just a 25 metre / 75 foot climb) where possible. Good luck with the training - I start from St Jean on May 1st so may encounter you along the way. Buen Camino:)

As from now.....I've got just under 3 months to go...?
Ta. X
Not every day or even week, but try to work in 3 to 5 consecutive days with long distances to determine how your feet hold up, so that you know that you have the right shoe/sock combination to avoid blisters.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did not thoroughly read all the post - but if not mentioned I recommend you start carrying a backpack - preferably the ones you will use on the Camino. Start out with a light load - (under 10 pounds / 4 kg) and build up as your leg strength improves. Aim to be walking the 18 miles / 30 kg (say) 3 days for week carrying a 10kg/22 pound load. This way you are following the regime you will encounter on the Camino. I try to add in some hills (even just a 25 metre / 75 foot climb) where possible. Good luck with the training - I start from St Jean on May 1st so may encounter you along the way. Buen Camino:)
Thanks Mike, yes were carrying about 10lb already & live on exmoor so lots of hills!! Look forward to seeing you there!

When I walked in Sept/Oct./14, as I was "training" and getting used to my pack weight and figuring out the best sock combination for my boots, the most I would walk would be about 2 hours a day and not always consecutively. I was concerned before I left that this would not be enough, but nearer to my departure date, realized that if I was on the trail and could walk for 2 hours, take a break - ie breakfast, walk for another 2 hours or so - take a break for lunch, I was able to walk the last hour or 2 hours to my destination. I was 64 at the time and will be walking this coming May at almost 67. As mentioned in many places on this forum - add your pack weight gradually, getting used to the weight, (your feet react differently when you are carrying a weight as opposed to just regular walking) and realize you are on the Camino - not going into the office or jobsite every day. Basically 2 sets of clothes is all you need - wash one, wear the other. Keep it simple. It is not a fashion show. You will soon revel in the fact that all you really need is on your back!
Buen Camino,
Linda

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My Camino begins in May and I started to train more since New Year. I think it's not only about walking, you have to be in a good physical shape..
My training is: 2 times per week go to swim, 2 times per week go to gym (bicycle and stepper) and of course WALKING! :) Every endurance sport is suitable..

Hi everyone -

As there are quite a few Forum members starting at SJPP around the same time, what about if you all buy one of Ivar's Camino Forum backpack badges ... then you'll be easily identifiable to one another on The Way. Think about all the lively discussions you'll all have - these badges are THE BEST conversation starters too!

Buen Camino to all, and Cheers -

Jenny

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone - Here's the badge in case you haven't seen it :
Cheers - Jenny
Hello stranger! I was just on Ivar's site ordering other stuff but did not order one of these - I have the Camino Downunder badges on my backpack & hat. See you saturday week. Cheers

Where can I get one please...can't find one on the forum site?
Suzie
Hi Suzie - click on a link to Ivar's Store - or when you logon click on the link to the Pilgrim Passport (top right hand) it will take you to Ivar's store. Cheers

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello stranger! I was just on Ivar's site ordering other stuff but did not order one of these - I have the Camino Downunder badges on my backpack & hat. See you saturday week. Cheers
Hola Mike and thanks for your help with directing Suzie to the Forum shop. See you at the Pilgrims in Sydney meeting Saturday week.
Cheers - Jenny

You should try to walk on consecutive days. I'd say between 5 and 10 miles. This will give you a good idea of how your feet will hold up day after day.

A month before I left in September I wore my boots everyday and ditched the car and walked my town with the full pack. 20 pounds including 2 liters of water and did my errands. I live in Texas Dallas area and found a stadium and walked the stairs for up hill. It's pretty flat where I live. Did exercise class 2x a week. The camino was fantastic started from ST Jean. Did not have any problems except pressure on my right big toe and lost the nail. Buy shoes 2x and wear double socks. Took many short stops and ate chocolate listen to your Body it's not a race. Made it in 34 days with a rest day in Leon. Buen Camino

A month before I left in September I wore my boots everyday and ditched the car and walked my town with the full pack. 20 pounds including 2 liters of water and did my errands. I live in Texas Dallas area and found a stadium and walked the stairs for up hill. It's pretty flat where I live. Did exercise class 2x a week. The camino was fantastic started from ST Jean. Did not have any problems except pressure on my right big toe and lost the nail. Buy shoes 2x and wear double socks. Took many short stops and ate chocolate listen to your Body it's not a race. Made it in 34 days with a rest day in Leon. Buen Camino
That's brilliant, can I ask you how old you are...my partner & I are 58 & 60 respectively...
?
Suzie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That's brilliant, can I ask you how old you are...my partner & I are 58 & 60 respectively...
?
Suzie

I was 56 when I walked in September/October 2016. A friend meet me in Santiago and we took the bus to Finastierre and watched the sunset and sunrise the next morning. It's very doable I did the Nepoleon Route the first day. I left Dallas on Friday got into Madrid Spain Saturday train to Pamplona and made a beeline to St Jean that night (took a taxi from Pamplona to St Jean €120 but I got there by dinner) Took Sunday easy and rested from jet lag and walked early Monday. It was an amazing journey. Remember it is YOUR Camino. Nelia

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
How much training you will need depends on your current fitness level. My first camino was the Frances when I was 54 I trained making sure to get comfortable with my pack and boots. The last at 62 I just picked up the pack and headed to the airport. I had plenty of rest in Portugal before starting out from Braga and ended my first day in Pont de Lima 33 km later.

I am a city dweller (Baltimore) and walk most anywhere I need to go. Usually a minimum of 4 miles, but often more than 10 miles in a day.

Hi Saint Mike where do u buy the down under badges ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We have usually reckoned that, carrying our Camino weight packs, we should be walking about three quarters of our daily distance for the Camino by the time we start. It is not necessarily possible on a daily basis but we do find that on the Camino we can add about an extra few kms daily. So at 18-20 kms you could aim for 14 to 16 kms per training walk. Same ratio if you prefer to work in miles, but on the Camino it is easier to think in kms IMO as that is how it is marked. (Rough calculator is divide miles -UK - by 3 and multiply by 5 for kms)
If this is not possible at home then start slow and speed up, especially if you do not have the advantage of living in a hilly area.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back