• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training

PJhonnyS

Time of past OR future Camino
October (2014)
Hola!

Was wondering about the weight on everyone’s pack. I’ve read that the ideal weight is no more than 10% of your body weight. Therefore that would give me roughly 7kilos of gear. Has anyone carried more than 10%?

I’m on my 2nd week of Camino training now (though I’ve been lifting weights for almost a year). In my first week I started with a 10kilo pack and walk an hour on the teadmill. This week i carry 12.5kilos with a 7.5% gradient on the treadmill for an hour. So far my legs, shoulders, and feet are fine. I’ll be gradually increasing the time every week from here on. I’m training for the maximum I think I can carry which is 12.5kilos. In any case, I’m sure my gear will be much less.

Do any of you think I’m over training? All your input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you 😊

P.S. I’m starting from SJPD

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The ideal weight is what you find comfortable to carry. Obviously, the lighter the better. As far as training, definitely walk outside on trails if possible and definitely the road. The trails give you uneven surfaces which is important to strengthen the different muscles in your ankles and legs and the road because the hard surface really shows which shoes perform well on them. For example, I find my hiking shoes are rotten for pavement as the sole is too stiff, not being able to bend my foot naturally as I step off tends to give me shin splints. And there is quite a bit of hard surface walking on the Camino.

The ideal weight is what you find comfortable to carry. Obviously, the lighter the better. As far as training, definitely walk outside on trails if possible and definitely the road. The trails give you uneven surfaces which is important to strengthen the different muscles in your ankles and legs and the road because the hard surface really shows which shoes perform well on them. For example, I find my hiking shoes are rotten for pavement as the sole is too stiff, not being able to bend my foot naturally as I step off tends to give me shin splints. And there is quite a bit of hard surface walking on the Camino.

I live in the city so I’ll definitely hit the road once I get the actual pair of shoes I’ll be using on the Camino. Thank you for your suggestion 😊

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I live in the city so I’ll definitely hit the road once I get the actual pair of shoes I’ll be using on the Camino. Thank you for your suggestion 😊

HelloPJhonnyS,
Without being condescending, it might be useful during your training to remember you are unlikely to be able to train enough to walk a Camino.;)

Rather, we can train to a level that will help us survive the first week or so without injury if we walk sensibly in that first week.

After that, when we have found our comfortable pace for our chosen Camino, we are usually 'getting into the groove' becoming more comfortable with the pack on our back, rest breaks, albergue life and so on.

Near the end of week 3 (if you walk that long), many people experience a minor miracle. That being, the pack suddenly feels light, our aches and pains go away, blisters have healed and walking less than 20 kilometres a day feels like being lazy.

Buen (enjoyable training) Camino

Is there a reason you cannot train 'on the road'? Treadmill training will not give you the same experience you could expect to have wrt track surfaces and slope variability.

I find it easier to do regular sessions of an hour or so each day, with longer sessions on the weekends. I also vary the weight and climb for longer walks, building up the longer sessions to my target weight and distance, rather than training for long periods at my targets.

Hi @PJhonnyS - I don't think one hour a day is over training. But you haven't given us much to go on. We don't know anything about you or when you are leaving for the Camino. Are you going to lengthen your walks as time goes on? The amount of preparation needed depends on your age, level of fitness, where you are from, what you do for a living (sitting all day vs physical labour) etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
HelloPJhonnyS,
Without being condescending, it might be useful during your training to remember you are unlikely to be able to train enough to walk a Camino.;)

Rather, we can train to a level that will help us survive the first week or so without injury if we walk sensibly in that first week.

After that, when we have found our comfortable pace for our chosen Camino, we are usually 'getting into the groove' becoming more comfortable with the pack on our back, rest breaks, albergue life and so on.

Near the end of week 3 (if you walk that long), many people experience a minor miracle. That being, the pack suddenly feels light, our aches and pains go away, blisters have healed and walking less than 20 kilometres a day feels like being lazy.

Wonderful! Looking forward to it. Thank you! 🙏🏽

Is there a reason you cannot train 'on the road'? Treadmill training will not give you the same experience you could expect to have wrt track surfaces and slope variability.

I find it easier to do regular sessions of an hour or so each day, with longer sessions on the weekends. I also vary the weight and climb for longer walks, building up the longer sessions to my target weight and distance, rather than training for long periods at my targets.

No particular reason at all. I just thought I’d start with the treadmill for the first couple weeks and head outdoors once my pack feels comfortable. I’ll give it a go next week.

Thank you for your feedback 😊
Hi @PJhonnyS - I don't think one hour a day is over training. But you haven't given us much to go on. We don't know anything about you or when you are leaving for the Camino. Are you going to lengthen your walks as time goes on? The amount of preparation needed depends on your age, level of fitness, where you are from, what you do for a living (sitting all day vs physical labour) etc.

Apologies. I’m 40 years old and live in the Philippines. I workout 4-5 times a week (weights and cardio). I work in events.

My Camino will start at SJPD and will walk all the way to Santiago following John Brierley’s suggestions for major pit stops. My goal is to walk at the end of April or within May.

Im currently training an hour a day with a 12.5kilo pack (week 2). On week 3 I’ll head out doors and walk for 1 1/2 to 2 hours and possibly 3hours 😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As opposed to focusing on time, consider training for distance. If you plan to follow Brierley (which you may want to reconsider your night stops based on crowds -see other threads on that topic), then you want to be able to comfortably walk those distances.

Also, try out your planned footwear on two days in a row of 20+ km to make sure they are still a good fit.

Happy preparations!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Focus on training your feet and especially downhill (something that can not be replicated in a gym). The gym is great for establishing core strength but nothing can replicate being outside with weight on your back.

Training is asymmetrical. Being out of condition guarantees a poor start (although the first 7-10 days on Camino is effectively (advanced) training anyway). OTOH, training does not guarantee a good start--too many other factors like footwear, blisters, adapt to multi-hour time zone change, etc.
And for chronic conditions like bad backs, knees, hips, ankles or planar fasciitis, or Achilles, I would suggest having a Physical Therapist help set a training plan.
Training is also fun since it is the activity you are choosing to do for 5-7 hours per day for 34 days. Keep it up!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Focus on training your feet and especially downhill (something that can not be replicated in a gym). The gym is great for establishing core strength but nothing can replicate being outside with weight on your back.
This bit is particularly true, ( the downhill walking), no two people are the same and the sum of the Camino is way harder than it seems on paper, be prepared for the unexpected, the constant level or nearly flat walking on the Meseta is the toughest on mind and body, I developed shin splints near Sahagun, had to walk way slower, and shorten my stride, I also foolishly carried the same pack size until Sarria , when I sent nearly 3kg onto Santiago,
Previously I had thought 10kg of a pack was ok, andit was on anything else I have walked, Majorca, Scotland, Norway, like you, I read about 10% body weight, so about 6.5/ 7 kg for me starting out in France,
But took me three weeks to learn !
First few days slightly sore muscles, then everything seemed good to go, no blisters!
But after ten days , I joined the blister crew, and after another ten days, had shin splints,
Middle section was the worst, so glad to leave the maseta, on the inclines up and down my shinsplints went away and from Sarria onwards ,to Muxia was as easy as the first ten days.
Buen Camino , Bill

Hola!

Was wondering about the weight on everyone’s pack. I’ve read that the ideal weight is no more than 10% of your body weight. Therefore that would give me roughly 7kilos of gear. Has anyone carried more than 10%?

I’m on my 2nd week of Camino training now (though I’ve been lifting weights for almost a year). In my first week I started with a 10kilo pack and walk an hour on the teadmill. This week i carry 12.5kilos with a 7.5% gradient on the treadmill for an hour. So far my legs, shoulders, and feet are fine. I’ll be gradually increasing the time every week from here on. I’m training for the maximum I think I can carry which is 12.5kilos. In any case, I’m sure my gear will be much less.

Do any of you think I’m over training? All your input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you 😊

Hola!

The 10% rule is not a bad one for people who have little experience and want to be on the safe side. Clearly the less you carry, the more relaxed it will be.
As for myself, I have been long-distance hiking already with 45% of my body weight, but that is a real pain and I only do it if I have to (e.g. real wilderness hiking in cold/wet climate without chances to re-supply for weeks). So I know if I train for it, I can do over 30 kg ... BUT ... if walking in rural and urban landscapes, civilisation, then I would never do it! Last year I did walk on the South West Coast Path in the UK during springtime and had only under 8kg on my back. The camino climate on average is warmer, so I will certainly carry less there.
I am limited anyway as I only travel hand luggage on the plane :p

As for the training. If you have the time, go for it. I will go totally untrained as I hate indoor training, and outdoors I cannot do any walking but on snowshoes before my start on the Camino in April.
Every training makes it more relaxed on the Camino. Especially also training of your back. So lifting weights is not a bad idea.

I would certainly recommend also stretching or yoga!

As said, I will train on the fly on the Camino. I know it will take one to two weeks for me to be back in shape. Those weeks will be painful ;-) ... So if you can avoid that for yourself. Go for it! :)

Hola!

The 10% rule is not a bad one for people who have little experience and want to be on the safe side. Clearly the less you carry, the more relaxed it will be.
As for myself, I have been long-distance hiking already with 45% of my body weight, but that is a real pain and I only do it if I have to (e.g. real wilderness hiking in cold/wet climate without chances to re-supply for weeks). So I know if I train for it, I can do over 30 kg ... BUT ... if walking in rural and urban landscapes, civilisation, then I would never do it! Last year I did walk on the South West Coast Path in the UK during springtime and had only under 8kg on my back. The camino climate on average is warmer, so I will certainly carry less there.
I am limited anyway as I only travel hand luggage on the plane :p

As for the training. If you have the time, go for it. I will go totally untrained as I hate indoor training, and outdoors I cannot do any walking but on snowshoes before my start on the Camino in April.
Every training makes it more relaxed on the Camino. Especially also training of your back. So lifting weights is not a bad idea.

I would certainly recommend also stretching or yoga!

As said, I will train on the fly on the Camino. I know it will take one to two weeks for me to be back in shape. Those weeks will be painful ;-) ... So if you can avoid that for yourself. Go for it! :)
I am usually the same with hand luggage, but Ryanair have been playing about with hand luggage, so booked my bag into the hold this time,
Bill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi - all of the above, plus - well, the blunt truth is that you cannot train for Camino .. to train properly you would need to do a Camino :).
Sure, you can get fitter, lose weight, improve muscle tone and so on - and all of that is great to do! - but the Camino is a particular type of walking.
Firstly you just cannot reproduce the constantly changing uneven and sometimes slippery surfaces ... most don't live anywhere where they can get their bodies used to hours of walking uphill and hours of walking downhill (it is the downhills that often wrecks your legs, especially the knees).

You cannot replicate the body stress caused by walking for many hours every day ... not just a day or two, but day after day after day.

And you cannot take your marvellously comfortable bed with you, nor that simple and silent bedroom you have (the one without noisy people waking you up in the dark at 4am!!).

So - treadmill training? Nahh - get away from the machines!! They are rhythmically repetitive and the Camino is constantly changing terrain. Go and find a hill, a big one, and walk up and down that again and again and again, with a loaded pack ... if you are a flatlander go find a tall building and walk up and down (down is important!!) the staircase, often.
You could leave the car at home .. if commuting on a bus or train get on and off at later and earlier stations and walk the new distances, take your loaded pack with you to work, wherever you go, every day.
Make it part of you (and wear the footwear you have chosen for Camino too).

The thing is - you will be fine you know. You will see pilgrims out there, mid-life, unbelievably overweight, coming from a desk job and no outdoor life at all at home; in front of the tv eating a nightly takeaway folk - and there they are, doing the Camino with you - and smiling!

I don't know your age but you will have pilgrims in their eighties walking past you (happens to me, I walk slow and stop a lot - always a new view to be astounded by) - so don't be afraid, don't be concerned.
If you follow the advice that many forget .. start slow, start easy, start with shorter distances, and build up as your body allows you to - and if you get injured or exhausted - top tip! Stop!! You will be fine.
So, be kind to yourself ;).

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I am not a professional health work out person. What I found helpful was monitoring my heart rate. 180 minus your age. So if your 40 it should not excide 140. As you get fitter it’s harder to reach 140. Then you can add weight distances and so on. Consider restdays between your walking days, so you can recuperate. To increase your mileage during the Caminomay was be a good idea or me. If you carry extra pounds maybe shedding some of that will help you with your back weight. So best wished bon Camino.

Train with as heavy a pack as you safely can and at the longest distances you safely can, but carry the lightest pack you possibly can on the Camino.

As a general approach to physical training I would agree, but would add a word of caution.

It is often said here, "Don't try to walk your Camino before your Camino"

Which basically means, you need to be careful to not overdo your training. Kind of what @JohnMcM was saying.

I ramped up training too fast, too close to my departure date. The result? Injury that I still carry to this day 4 years later. (Achilles Tendonitis).

Do train. For general fitness and endurance, but also take it easy the first week on Camino whilst you find your feet and rhythm. I would just be careful about carrying too much weight in training. ;)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola @PJhonnyS

I'm starting to wonder if I'm somehow freakishly naturally fit. I was 40 when I did my first camino and the wrong side of 250 lbs/ 120kgs and walked precisely 6 miles for training. Despite this I struggled no more than anyone else on day one and comfortably finished in 31 days.

I'm not saying this to boast but hopefully to reassure, I don't think anyone in the OP's age group, unless they live a particularly sedentry lifestyle or have specific health issues need to do a huge amount of training for the camino, which isn't to say it won't make it easier. Walking 25-30kms a day may seem like a lot but in May with at least 14 hours of daylight you have a long time to make that distance.

Personally I loved the feeling of getting fitter, stronger and lighter as the days went by and was happy that I hadn't started out as a finely tuned athlete.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Has anyone carried more than 10%?
Yes. Likely a majority of people.
I’m training for the maximum I think I can carry which is 12.5kilos. In any case, I’m sure my gear will be much less.
Do any of you think I’m over training?
I think your focus on carrying weight is wrong. What you are training for is a long walk. So, do long walks - many of them. Make it your lifestyle. It will benefit you for your entire life. With a minimal load, you are still likely to encounter difficulties with your feet first.

Oh! You need a few things with you! So minimize your load and do a few walks with your expected load. I use a backpack everywhere - sometimes it has very little, and sometimes it has more than 10%. I am accustomed to carrying a backpack now, so that is not an unpleasant surprise on the camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What you can handle during an hour on a treadmill is quite different from what you can handle day in day out, walking a half-marathon a day and a million steps on The Way. I'd start low in pack weight and try to go even lower. The steps and pounding really adds up over time.

One member once suggested that the only way to train for a 4-6 week Camino, was to go out on a trail for several weeks to replicate the wear and tear of the on going walking. NOT
Most of us could not do a Camino before the Camino with time constraints etc

Heed the comments of experienced people- As I set a logical training progression, I was doing what I could make my body do. I thought because I COULD to it, it MUST be ok to do

I, and many people reporting here, had to interrupt our pre-camino preparations to recover when we exceeded our bodies' natural recovery ability. You won't know it till it's too late cause it seems so easy or do able
I had commented before that I had to put my self on different surfaces knowing there would be tarmac, asphalt, dirt paths, gravel, and rocky inclines. My body, shins, feet, hips and knees needed to acclimate to all those surfaces. (I could really feel the difference in my hips and feet when I started adding paved paths to my wilderness trails) And though the treadmills get us moving when its raining outside- they are meant to support and cushion the foot and body in a way that will NOT prep you for true outdoor walking

Hola @PJhonnyS

I'm starting to wonder if I'm somehow freakishly naturally fit. I was 40 when I did my first camino and the wrong side of 250 lbs/ 120kgs and walked precisely 6 miles for training. Despite this I struggled no more than anyone else on day one and comfortably finished in 31 days.

I'm not saying this to boast but hopefully to reassure, I don't think anyone in the OP's age group, unless they live a particularly sedentry lifestyle or have specific health issues need to do a huge amount of training for the camino, which isn't to say it won't make it easier. Walking 25-30kms a day may seem like a lot but in May with at least 14 hours of daylight you have a long time to make that distance.

Personally I loved the feeling of getting fitter, stronger and lighter as the days went by and was happy that I hadn't started out as a finely tuned athlete.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
Good point. The OP is only forty years old and is getting fitness advice from an older age group, or at least I get the impression it is an older age group.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola @PJhonnyS

Buen Camino,

Rob.
What’s OP s age group?

I was thinking operation room so you guess my confusion.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Camino last June, I'm now 66 and trained for two years walking 30 + km a day with full pack. Once I hit the Pyrenees all bets were off. Toughest time of my life. My pack was 12kg and after Perusing, I started to jettison items. Walking steep grades up and down should be the focus, lather your feet in Vaseline to prevent blisters and light breathable shoes. I wound up with 2 of everything for clothes, and a pair of long underwear for cold rainy days. Go slow, about 20 km a day and enjoy the experience. Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi - all of the above, plus - well, the blunt truth is that you cannot train for Camino .. to train properly you would need to do a Camino :).
Sure, you can get fitter, lose weight, improve muscle tone and so on - and all of that is great to do! - but the Camino is a particular type of walking.
Firstly you just cannot reproduce the constantly changing uneven and sometimes slippery surfaces ... most don't live anywhere where they can get their bodies used to hours of walking uphill and hours of walking downhill (it is the downhills that often wrecks your legs, especially the knees).

You cannot replicate the body stress caused by walking for many hours every day ... not just a day or two, but day after day after day.

And you cannot take your marvellously comfortable bed with you, nor that simple and silent bedroom you have (the one without noisy people waking you up in the dark at 4am!!).

So - treadmill training? Nahh - get away from the machines!! They are rhythmically repetitive and the Camino is constantly changing terrain. Go and find a hill, a big one, and walk up and down that again and again and again, with a loaded pack ... if you are a flatlander go find a tall building and walk up and down (down is important!!) the staircase, often.
You could leave the car at home .. if commuting on a bus or train get on and off at later and earlier stations and walk the new distances, take your loaded pack with you to work, wherever you go, every day.

The thing is - you will be fine you know. You will see pilgrims out there, mid-life, unbelievably overweight, coming from a desk job and no outdoor life at all at home; in front of the tv eating a nightly takeaway folk - and there they are, doing the Camino with you - and smiling!

I don't know your age but you will have pilgrims in their eighties walking past you (happens to me, I walk slow and stop a lot - always a new view to be astounded by) - so don't be afraid, don't be concerned.
If you follow the advice that many forget .. start slow, start easy, start with shorter distances, and build up as your body allows you to - and if you get injured or exhausted - top tip! Stop!! You will be fine.

Buen Camino!
Great, thoughtful advice, David. Thank you. I’ll be on the Camino in late April 2019, with bum knees and too little training due to the deep winter snow in Vermont, but I’m determined to make the walk, following the dictum “slow and steady wins the race”. See you on the Way.

Buen Camino!

I only ever train to try to strengthen muscles and connective tissue supporting my knees and hips. I KNOW I have problems there. So, I do try to prepare these joints. In the process, I am working on aerobic conditioning as well.

But, David is correct, the best training for a Camino is on a Camino.

Don't sweat it...well, you WILL sweat...a lot. But do not obsess about getting too prepared.

If you are in average good condition and do not have any chronic illnesses that might erupt, the first few days will sort you out. Once you find your pace, stick with it. Fast or slow, it is YOUR Camino.

Hope this helps.

One thing that gets mentioned rarely in threads about conditioning and training to walk the Camino is diet and nutrition. If a prospective pilgrim is overweight, even losing as little as 5 kilos before they started their walk would be such an advantage. If one is very overweight, losing a bunch of kilos could be the difference between injury or not, or even completion.
One thing for sure, do not depend upon walking the Camino to lose weight or get you conditioned, if you cannot do it in the first place.

For my 1st Camino I continued my regular morning walks about 3 miles before work. On weekends I would walk about 12-15 miles on Saturdays for the last 6 weeks before leaving. I carry full load about 5 kilos in my kit. That is about 5% of my body weight. (do the math) I am not thin. Since my 1st Camino I have been several long distant walks. This year is the Coast to Coast in England and then the Caminho Portuguese in October. My suggestion is be comfortable in your walking and training and have fun with it.

I did SJPP to SdC my first year of retirement and it was a perfect Camino. I had the luxury of being able to train in the Santa Monica mountains on terrains that were very similar to those I found on the Camino (flat, hills, mountains). By the time I left, I was doing back-to-back 5-6 hour walks with 15lbs on my back. Again, I was the luckiest old gal to have been able to do that because I had no difficulty with any part of the Camino, no blisters, and found I could carry way more than 10% of my body weight. Really not meaning to brag, but rather to emphasize the value of doing as much training as you can.

HelloPJhonnyS,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Best reply ever. Consider your question answered and seek no more. PJhonnys reply IS ALL ENCOMPASSING. Trust in it!!!!

As usual, Davebugg is spot-on! In my case, I advocate and practice a sequence of annual or semi-annual medical checkups and tests BEFORE attempting a Camino. I have discussed this previously in the Forum, pretty much as Dave does above.

However, this year, for the first time, we have a wrinkle in my planning. My wife 'persuaded' me to seek the services of a cardiologist to obtain baseline tests and information moving forward. I am in my mid-60s and although I previously lost nearly 100 pounds (2005 -2006), over the past decade, nearly half of the lost weight has crept back. So, of course, I acquiesced... Like I could refuse...

Anyway after three intensive cardiac tests at least one evident anomaly has cropped up. This coming Monday I have an appointment with the heart guy to review all the test findings and figure out what to do moving forward. Let's just say I am a little anxious, and worried that my plans might be changed... We shall see.

As usual, Davebugg is spot-on! In my case, I advocate and practice a sequence of annual or semi-annual medical checkups and tests BEFORE attempting a Camino. I have discussed this previously in the Forum, pretty much as Dave does above.

However, this year, for the first time, we have a wrinkle in my planning. My wife 'persuaded' me to seek the services of a cardiologist to obtain baseline tests and information moving forward. I am in my mid-60s and although I previously lost nearly 100 pounds (2005 -2006), over the past decade, nearly half of the lost weight has crept back. So, of course, I acquiesced... Like I could refuse...

Anyway after three intensive cardiac tests at least one evident anomaly has cropped up. This coming Monday I have an appointment with the heart guy to review all the test findings and figure out what to do moving forward. Let's just say I am a little anxious, and worried that my plans might be changed... We shall see.

My prayers are with you, Tom. 😟

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola!

Yes, I have carried more than 7, 10 in fact. Big mistake so sent a couple of kilos home. Training, I think maybe over doing it. In my mid sixties, fat and unfit when I started my first camino and my training was a 4 km walk around the local park 3 or 4 times a week and then later a 4 km walk a couple of times a week that included a steep hill. Never trained once with a back pack and 70 years young now and completed 3 caminos and 2 St Jean to Burgos.

Hola!

I'm in my 60's walking my 4th Camino this year. I weigh about 80 kg at the start and with water and food my pack probably weighs about 12 kg, that's 15% of my body weight. It hasn't been a problem.

My wife and I train in suburban Australia, usually doing 3 to 4 walks of about 8 km a week carrying our packs, with a few longer walks as we get closer to leaving.

PjonnyS. Everything that has been written is good advice. I trained plenty before my first Camino from St Jean to Santiago by carrying my full pack (7kgs) in rugged terrain for up to 20 kms per day. So I honestly found the Camino easy (except for the first day which was tiring) and no blisters or injuries. My daily distance was between 20 and 30km. I was 79 years old. You mention you intend to use Brierleys stages. If you want to avoid the big, impersonal and crowded albergues stay in the villages between the stages. Naturally Pamplona, Burgos and Leon are worth extra time to see these cities so I stayed about 10km short of these cities, spent the afternoon looking around and the next morning looked around some more in the morning and then walked 10 - 15 km to an albergue after the city. Once in the rhythm of walking I found I needed to walk every day. Also after the tough day from St Jean to Roncevalles be kind to your body and walk a shorter day for it to recover. This will also be an opportunity for you to break out of Brierley's stages.
I carry typically 7kg and I weight 71kg. As a matter of interest, when I was a Hospitalero I saw a petite lady who was having trouble putting her pack on her back, so I helped her. I had to brace my legs and use both arms to lift the pack to put it on her back, so I asked her how much it weighed. She told me 20kg! and I believe her and told her that she must get rid of a lot in her pack otherwise she would injure herself and would not reach Santiago. If looks could kill, I would not be here posting this.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had commented before that I had to put my self on different surfaces knowing there would be tarmac, asphalt, dirt paths, gravel, and rocky inclines. My body, shins, feet, hips and knees needed to acclimate to all those surfaces. (I could really feel the difference in my hips and feet when I started adding paved paths to my wilderness trails) And though the treadmills get us moving when its raining outside- they are meant to support and cushion the foot and body in a way that will NOT prep you for true outdoor walking

Very true. My podiatrist said to keep clear of them. The foot needs to walk on uneven surfaces to get fully exercised and prepared.

Last edited:
I saw a petite lady who was having trouble putting her pack on her back, so I helped her. I had to brace my legs and use both arms to lift the pack to put it on her back,
I had a similar experience with a young Korean woman carrying a very heavy pack. Someone told me that she was carrying a big bag of rice. I don't know if she had @Robo's rice cooker too. :D

I carry typically 7kg and I weight 71kg. As a matter of interest, when I was a Hospitalero I saw a petite lady who was having trouble putting her pack on her back, so I helped her. I had to brace my legs and use both arms to lift the pack to put it on her back, so I asked her how much it weighed. She told me 20kg! and I believe her and told her that she must get rid of a lot in her pack otherwise she would injure herself and would not reach Santiago. If looks could kill, I would not be here posting this.
Hiked along with two girls for a few days on one of the toughest spots on the Appalachian Trail. They had already hiked 300 miles south through Maine. One looked like if you wet her down she might reach close to 90 pounds. After provisioning her pack weighed 45 pounds. Gear did weigh more then though. (Roughly: 500 km, 40 kg, 20 kg)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One thing that gets mentioned rarely in threads about conditioning and training to walk the Camino is diet and nutrition. If a prospective pilgrim is overweight, even losing as little as 5 kilos before they started their walk would be such an advantage. If one is very overweight, losing a bunch of kilos could be the difference between injury or not, or even completion.
One thing for sure, do not depend upon walking the Camino to lose weight or get you conditioned, if you cannot do it in the first place.
Too true, I started putting on weight in Navarre, three course pilgrims meals , with pasta every meal as a starter! and cerveca ,
Bill

Too true, I started putting on weight in Navarre, three course pilgrims meals , with pasta every meal as a starter! and cerveca
You are supposed to only stop at low calorie albergues Hansel.
27ca234eb072ff4920eb75e0800291d4.jpg

All wonderful advice. Couldn't agree more that "you can't really train well for the Camino except by doing the Camino." It's just different.

Try to lose excess weight before the trip. Personal weight is as hard on joints as a backpack. We used a 15% rule - 10% pack, 5% clothing. This is 15% of what we SHOULD BE.

Doesn't matter whether you wear the weight on your head, feet or back. Lightweight belt and hat count as much as anything else. I've heard it said that 1 pound on your feet burns as much energy as 6 in your pack. I do believe this to be true.

Start as fit as you can be (no rules) and START SLOW for a week or ten days, until your body adapts to the idea that it won't be getting many days off. In pure contrast, you would be better off not training at all and breaking yourself in gently on the trail than training hard and then pushing it from day one. Too often see the gung ho gone in a week and the "slackers" cruise all the way.

Have fun along the Way.

I carried 9.5 kg + 2-3 kgs of water (1 litre = 1 kg) depending on the day and I weigh about 91 kg. That's 10.5-14%. No issues.

Get a really good pack with lots of adjustments and suitable for your height and learn how to adjust everything to fit you. Re-adjust daily/hourly as needed. I found that walking poles made it much easier to carry the weight - better balance, less weight on knees and hips, etc. I could walk farther using poles.

For training, the incline is good but 1 hour on the soft treadmill base doesn't really simulate everything you will encounter (dirt, gravel, rocks, pavement). I would try to do as many 2 hour walks on hard surfaces (pavement or cement) as you can. That seems to be the hardest on my feet and knees and may toughen the skin on your feet. I would also try to complete a few 4 hour walks in the last 2 weeks before you go (with adequate rest stops). Do all of this with the same footwear you will use on your trip. Have fun.

Last edited:
For training, the incline is good but 1 hour on the soft tread mill base doesn't really simulate everything you will encounter (dirt, gravel, rocks, pavement). I would try to do as many 2 hour walks on hard surfaces (pavement or cement) as you can. That seems to be the hardest of your feet and knees and may toughen the skin on your feet. I would also try to complete a few 4 hour walks in the last 2 weeks before you go (with adequate rest stops). Do all of this with the same footwear you will use on your trip. Have fun.

I agree. Exercise and training for backpacking, camino, trekking, etc have two distinct branches: cardiovascular and musculoskeletal.

A treadmill is a reasonable choice for cardiovascular fitness training.

Walking over varying types of terrain is needed for part of your musculoskeletal development. Ankles are an example of such. The best method for ankle strengthening and conditioning is to walk on uneven terrain. That doesn't happen on the treadmill.

Walking up hills and stairs are examples of strengthening your leg muscles, increasing their capacity to lift your body weight with every step, as well as increasing the amount of time and repetitions that one can do so.

It isn't just treadmills that are deficient in overall musculoskelatal fitness for backpacking/camino/etc. Those who use bicycles for fitness training have the same issues, where different muscle groups need strengthening for walking.

When I walked the 630 mile South West Coast Path in England I carried 17.5 kilos including the rucksack, tent, food, water etc including what I was wearing (2.9 kilos). I always add on what I wear and carry e.g. poles, camera etc to get a better idea of the total weight on my feet! And no I don't weigh 175 kilos, more like 95 kilos and aged 71 6'3". I don't seem to feel the weight once it is strapped on around my waist. Normally I don't train for walks as I seem to walk myself into "walking fitness" after 2/3 days. When I first started walking long distances I said to a guy at the beginning that I hoped my feet lasted out; he said it is not your feet that will stop you it is your head! He was right, get your head in order and you will be OK, think of walking to the next café or your stop for the evening and not the 800kms ahead of you. I start the Camino Francés on 27th April - can't wait!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

There's another issue with treadmill training. The incline of the treadmill can be raised, to simulate uphill sections, but the treadmill can not be adjusted to simulate downhill exercise. I spent lots of time on treadmills, in an air conditioned gym, for an October 2018 Camino because where I live is hot and humid. What I found was long descents on the Camino were difficult for me. I experimented with various shoe and boot options. Trail runners were the most comfortable on all surfaces.
Ted

HelloPJhonnyS,

I love the minor miracle. I am reminded of my dear friend John who I met on my 2017 Camino. He was looking all over for his pack one day, thought it had been misplaced...only to find it was already on his back!

For me the weight is irrelevant. Carry what you NEED. That will be the weight of your pack.
On day two or three you may redefine "need." There are "give and take" bins in the albergues for folks who want to shed something, or who are looking for something.
I weigh 175 on the Camino and I carry 20-22lbs, and use everything in the pack (unless its not raining).
Properly packed and fitted, it carries well and I can put in a 27-32km day without much suffering.
An hour of training is not much compared to 6-8 hour days, but a Camino day is typically not high aerobic, so an hour of aerobic and weight training is helpful. The best training is to get hot and sweaty in the boots, socks clothing and pack you will be wearing. This will expose any fitting issues before it is too late.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
While some conditioning is a good idea, it should be kept in mind that the Camino is not, and should not be, the moral equivalent of the Bataan Death March. After all, when you get tired you can just stop for that day, and Lord knows there are plenty of places for that. I would, however, suggest giving a good break-in to the shoes or boots you intend to use so that there are no blister surprises there.

There's another issue with treadmill training. The incline of the treadmill can be raised, to simulate uphill sections, but the treadmill can not be adjusted to simulate downhill exercise. I spent lots of time on treadmills, in an air conditioned gym, for an October 2018 Camino because where I live is hot and humid. What I found was long descents on the Camino were difficult for me. I experimented with various shoe and boot options. Trail runners were the most comfortable on all surfaces.
Ted

That really depends on the model of treadmill. Mine has an incline to a 30 percent grade, and a decline of 8%.

That is beside the point, though. I agree with you that the best way to strengthen the ligaments and tendons supporting the knees and ankles is actually walking uphill and downhill incorporating uneven terrain.

HelloPJhonnyS,

Sounds like good advice to me. This "common sense" approach brings me comfort and boosts confidence.. Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@PJhonnyS , kia ora for this thread.

And I lot of good advice for fitness of the body.

My bag also includes training the mind. For me this was setting some goals to achieve. My key goals for training trips include working up to:
1) achieve 15 km before stopping for breakfast
2) achieve 400 m of elevation gain before stopping for breakfast.

For you upcoming pilgrimage, kia kaha (take care be strong, get going)

It is often said here, "Don't try to walk your Camino before your Camino"

I disagree! It is not possible to over train for the Camino. When you body aches in training, simple rest a few days, to recover. If you need a doctor, see you regular physician. Test out all equipment. Get the physical problems solved at home, so your mind can focus on more important matters on the Camino.

Start training 6 months before your departure date. Peek your training several weeks before your trip, then slowly work down training to avoid last minute injury.

There is so much more to the Camino than foot pain!

-Paul

I disagree! It is not possible to over train for the Camino. When you body aches in training, simple rest a few days, to recover. If you need a doctor, see you regular physician. Test out all equipment. Get the physical problems solved at home, so your mind can focus on more important matters on the Camino.

Start training 6 months before your departure date. Peek your training several weeks before your trip, then slowly work down training to avoid last minute injury.

There is so much more to the Camino than foot pain!
-Paul

I agree with your points, though we will 'agree to disagree' regarding the possibility of over training.
I have done it and suffered for it.
And it was not obvious at the time.
Otherwise I would have stopped to rest........

Hola!

sounds like your in great shape. I think you can never overtrain. I was doing similar without the weights. As you get closer to your event, I would back up a little, your legs will be fresher, and you wont be burnout. Best of luck

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back