• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training?

justine03

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2010), Camino Fisterra (2010 & 2012), Voie du Puy (2012), Camino del Norte (2012), Camino Primitivo (2012), Camino Portuguese (2012)
Hi there!
I plan to walk the Camino Francés starting in SJPP in mid-September 2010 but I was wondering what sort of training others might have done to prepare for the trek. I am a 23 year old female in (I think!) above-average shape. And I have also read conflicting suggestions as far as training is concerned. What kind of training did you do and what were your experiences with it?

tHanks!
J

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The most important thing is to be sure your footwear is properly fitted and broken in. Shoes/boots should be at least 1/2 size too large. My experience is that you only need to do enough training to get you through the first few days. Since you are starting SJPdP you should be able to comfortably walk uphill with your pack 25-30k. IMO spending months of training only increases the chance of chronic use injury.

Although I am a complete beginner as far the Camino de Santiago is concerned I do a lot of walking where I live in Haute-Savoie (which is very hilly !)

My aim is to be able to walk 25 kms per day with a back-pack for 10-12 days without suffering too much. I want my first Camino to be as enjoyable as possible.

I am 53 years old and am planning my trip for June (probably) next year. I usually walk for 2-3 hours on saturdays and sundays with walking poles and stop every 45 mins to 1 hour for a mouthful of water. Closer to the date I will occasionally walk 3-4 hours over weekends.

On weekdays, I use my lunch break from work to walk about 45 minutes around the town.

Pretty simple training and above all no over-doing it.

Good luck
Richard

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For the untrained hiker:
get training clothes-clothes that you can sweat a lot in them, all syntetics, no cotton, starting from your socks , trousers, underwears, T shirt, breathable shirt is a must.
A minimum training period will be no less then 6 weeks.
First day walk no more then 3-4 km so your joints, knees and feet get the feeling. from day 1 carry a small pack with 2 litres of water, you will carry more as you advance, but it's important that your back feel a pack at all times, during the first week, walk every day for 6 days 4-5 km, you can increase speed as you get along, rest on the 7th day, second week add 1-2 km, walk faster, add 1-2 kg to your pack, and so on. After 2.5-3.5 weeks start walking uphill and downhills, add km and kg as you advance, walk faster and work on your aeorobic training to prepare yourself to the climbs on the camino, in your training period don't walk more then 10-12 km but always with a 10kg pack max. you can try once to walk 15-18 km just to get the feeling, you should aim for walking uphill on a steep slope for 4-5 km with the 10 kg pack, walk it faster then usuall, by the 6-7th week you will be in a better shape and be prepared for the camino, more then that you knees will toughen, your feet will toughen too , the more you train - less blisters.

My thoughts on this. You know, a lot of people talk about training on here, but few do it. And honestly, if you're in fairly good shape, I'm not sure it's necessary...

GOOD SHOES have been mentioned and I think more people get hurt from having ill-fitting shoes than any lack of training.

The number two injury causer in my estimation is a too-heavy pack. Carry the suggested 10% of your body weight and you'll be fine. There is nothing you need that you cannot buy along the way, if you have shoes, backpack, and a change of clothes.

Again, I suggest New Balance walkers or trail shoes with the WIDE TOE BOX. Some people love their boots, but I saw many pairs of boots discarded along the Way. They're overkill for many, unless you have really weak ankles. They also do not dry as fast as walkers, and the thought of putting my feet into cold, stiff, wet boots doesn't make me smile.

Your toes need to be able to spread out too, so be sure the shoes have room in the toe. Buy the shoes one size too large, as your feet WILL swell. You are not used to walking straight for 6 hours per day, and your feet will complain if you don't take care of them. Wear the suggest liner sock with SmartWool over the top. On hot days, you can just use the liners.

Mermaid Lilli wore Teva sandals and loved them. I tried wearing my Tevas but they gave me blisters, so I saved those for after hours in the alburgue.

Stop and take care of your feet at the first sign of discomfort. That means carry compeed with you. Buy it at your first stop and keep it handy. Slap it on any hot spots BEFORE they become blisters. Keep it on until it falls off on its own.

There are few places on the camino that are difficult. The first is hell-day from SJPP to Roncevalles... if you get through that, you're home free. Just go slow, walk at your own pace, don't rush for a bed. Many people walk the entire stage. I suggest staying at one of the in-between places the first night, even though it only cuts off a few kilometers, it will make a HUGE difference and can be the difference between heaven and hell, in my opinion. I walked the entire stage at the suggestion of the hospitalero in SJPP and I cried every step of the last 2 kilometers. I should have followed my first plan, and stayed the night 5 k into the walk.

Once you pass Roncevalles, the rest is easy walking and you get stronger by the day... after a few days, you find your stride, and you basically train as you go.

We took some 2 mile and 4 mile hikes for about a month before we left, but I wouldn't call it training... mostly to check our shoes for fit and our backpacks.

I use the pilgrimage for training beyond the usual regular walking beforehand, sometimes with a pack. Don't forget, though, that it will add several days, perhaps a week, to the time it will take to cover the distance. Don't tell yourself that you will train in the beginning, then start doing 20-30 km days. Ignore the "standard" stages. The small places are more fun anyway. You would not go into the gym for the first time and try to lift weights at the maximum. Spend a week at the 10-15 km range, and let the other pilgrims pass you by. Eventually you will find a compatible group to walk with after a couple of weeks. Don't try to stick with one from the beginning unless you are physically capable. This is working for me, but like all advice, ignore mine, and walk the pilgrimage the way you find to be comfortable!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Justine,
I am starting from St Jean on 9 Sept, going slowly as I have plenty of time, so we might meet up.
I starting training back in March (I am 79), but illness stopped that in May for 6 weeks and I started again a couple of weeks ago. It seems as though everyone has their own ideas about training, but essentially I consider that one has to be fit with at least some training. Personally I am now up to walking for 4 hours which, judging by the photos I have seen of the Camino, should equate to 14-.16kms.
I always wear my pack with 7.5kgs which will be my final weight, and always wear my boots that I will walk in, mainly because they are the most comfortable footwear I have. I am staying at Orisson the first night, which will be easy, and then Roncesvalles. Hope this helps. David

I found that it was important to train walking up/down hills, as you use different muscles than just walking along the flats and you need all your muscles to be in shape. Saying that, I also believe that months of training is not necessary. When on the Camino you have all day to walk, unlike when at home work, family, and other commitments intercede, and you might rush a walk just to get the miles in. It can't be stressed enough, that if you have the time, go SLOW! It will help prevent over-use injuries and you can make stops or side-trips to enjoy some of the towns and churches along the Way. It's a very common theme among 2nd-timers: that the next time they walk they are going to take their time!

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I plan on taking my sweet time (I have a semester off this fall) and making lots of stops and side trips along the way. Looking forward to seeing you on the camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.