• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trains and choices!

Artemis

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2006, Camino Portuguese 2009
I am getting ready to buy my plane ticket and I found two good flights.
The first one is from Tampa to Zurich for $638. The problem is that I have to change airports in London. There is plenty of time to do it but it will cost about $30. The train fare will probably be more from Zurich and I can't find a price so I can't add that to the equation.
The second flight is from Tampa to Bordeaux for $791. It costs more but there is no change in London and I think the train fare to Saint Jean is a little over $30.
Any help on finding the fare from Zurich to Saint Jean so I can figure out which one to take? I am leaving Tampa on August 24th arrive either Zurich or Bordeaux on Aug 25.

Thanks,
Melinda

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Don't forget to add the additional time as a cost factor. Yes, it might cost more $ to go through Bordeaux, but you won't have the time & hassle factor of switching airports in London & the additional cost of a train from Zurich to SJP. I'd fly to Bordeaux & take the train. :)

Kelly

Thanks for the reply Kelly,

That is the one I am leaning towards because I spent time in Bordeaux last time I did the camino and I really love it there. I am thinking before my return flight I could spend a little more time in Bordeaux. But I still would like to find the cost of the train from Zurich. It is frustrating me. Also I went to boarding school in Switzerland and the thought of having the time on the train to see Switzerland again appeals to me. AARGH!!! Why am I being so indecisive?
I think I remember you saying you are starting from SJPP the end of August? I will be volunteering at L"Esprit du Chemin from Aug 26 til Sept 6 so I will be able to meet you then.

Melinda

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just to throw something else into the mix! I found a flight to Geneva with no airport change in London for $671 including travel insurance. My boarding school was in Versoix right outside Geneva.
Look forward to meeting you. What day are you starting?

According to the SBB (Swiss Rail) website the train from Zurich to Bayonne takes about 11.5-12 hours with several changes. The best current fare for your date is 213 CF or about $200. The flight to Bordeaux sounds like the better choice. Have you looked into flying into London and taking Ryan or EasyJet to Biarritz?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Melinda, From reading your post I think you should take the Bordeaux option, unless you actually want to spend some time in Switzerland to reminisce etc; as you know Geneva is practically on the French border.

Thanks for all your replys. I finally bought my ticket! Hope to see some of you there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back