• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trains/Bus/metro Lisboa to Porto ? and Santiago return to Lisbon

Marvin Oates

Time of past OR future Camino
sept 2014
Hello all...new to posting here so I hope I'm doing this right...
Arriving Lisbon 8 am 29 September,2015
would like help/info as to the best way to get to Porto (Bus, train/plane?) and then on out to Matasinhos (metro,Taxi?)
Secondly...assuming I make it to Santiago...best way to get back to Lisbon (train,bus,etc)
also any suggestions/experience on car rentals?
Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
would like help/info as to the best way to get to Porto (Bus, train/plane?) and then on out to Matasinhos (metro,Taxi?)
Secondly...assuming I make it to Santiago...best way to get back to Lisbon (train,bus,etc)
Thanks!
I would take the train from Lisbon to Porto. It's inexpensive, low stress and nice views. Trains about every 2 hours.
Return to Lisbon from Santiago by train requires changing in Vigo and in Porto. I did it recently and spent.the night in Vigo, but you can catch the first train.from Santiago and.do it in one day. Pleasant way to travel.

would like help/info as to the best way to get to Porto (Bus, train/plane?)

From downtown Lisbon, train is quicker than bus.
For train info: www.cp.pt
For bus info: www.rede-expressos.pt
Look for plane fares using any online flight fares search engine although if you are arriving to Lisbon by air, it might have been better to look for fares all the way to Porto instead of purchasing the flight from Lisbon to Porto separately. If you decide to fly the route, you'll miss the (ground) scenery...

Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) makes the route from Santiago de Compostela to Lisbon without changing buses along the route. By train, you would need to change in Vigo and Porto.

and then on out to Matasinhos (metro,Taxi?)

I can't tell you which one would be better but in addition to metro (www.metrodoporto.pt) and taxi, bus is another option (line 104 on this link: www.urbanosresende.net/rede.html)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Metro from Station Trindade to Matosinhos. Metro stop Mercado near the bridge where the coastal detour to Vila do Conde starts.
On the Praça da Republica in Porto opposite the São Bento trainstation stops bus #500 to Matosinhos also to stop Mercado. Great trip alongside the Douro river and the Atlantic ocean

Bom caminho

Thanks!
I traveled by train from Santiago to Porto, spent 2 days there and then by train to Lisbon to catch a plane back to the states. The trains are very nice and a wonderful way to see more of the countryside. There are just a few trains from Santiago to Porto (change in Vigo), but numerous ones connect Porto to Lisbon. I plan to do a Portuguese route from Porto in May and will use the trains again back to Lisbon upon completion. Bom Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back