Search 62305 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Trains cancelled Biarritz to Saint Jean Pied de Port

caminosharpie

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 1 September
Trains are all cancelled from Biarritz to Saint Jean Pied de Port tomorrow (31 August). After exploring all options we have booked a taxi for €120. It will be less than rearranging accommodation. If anyones in the same situation and would like to fare split we have room for 2 and are being collected from the centre of town. Give us a shout if you’re interested!

How to Successfully Prepare for Your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Generally, the train will be replaced by a bus when there is an issue with the tracks (fires, landslide, maintenance) and your train ticket becomes the bus ticket. There should be no need for a private taxi unless there is an overall transit strike. As for cost, Express Bouricot or BlaBlaCar offer cheaper rates. I know it may be too late for you, but others in this same situation may benefit from this info.

To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
Generally, the train will be replaced by a bus when there is an issue with the tracks (fires, landslide, maintenance) and your train ticket becomes the bus ticket. There should be no need for a private taxi unless there is an overall transit strike. As for cost, Express Bouricot or BlaBlaCar offer cheaper rates. I know it may be too late for you, but others in this same situation may benefit from this info.
Correct, and this has been explained in an earlier thread. The problem is that one website/app of the French railways, namely sncf-connect.com, only informs that the trains have been cancelled but does not mention the replacement busses while their website scnf.com correctly indicates that replacement busses will serve the line.

In fact, on Wednesday 31 August 2022, the train will leave Bayonne station as usual at 6:41, 8:50, 14:35, 17:09 and 18:35 but will stop in Cambo-les-Bains where a bus will be waiting for the passengers to take them to SJPP.

There has been an affaissement de terrain entre Cambo et St Jean pied de Port which is a landslide or land subsidence. It happened a week ago.

caminosharpie

Starting 1 September
Thanks all! We ended up getting a taxi for ease but have since been informed that there’s rail replacement buses (for anyone else planning)

Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

asl

Trains are all cancelled from Biarritz to Saint Jean Pied de Port tomorrow (31 August). After exploring all options we have booked a taxi for €120. It will be less than rearranging accommodation. If anyones in the same situation and would like to fare split we have room for 2 and are being collected from the centre of town. Give us a shout if you’re interested!
I was looking at luggage transport and ran across this information for People tranport to SJPdP.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
It is a recurring problem.

There is another option that pilgrims usually don't consider, as it is a little more complicated.

But you can get a small local bus to Saint-Palais. From there, either walk on the Camino to SJPP, or get a different small local bus up there. Last time I looked, tickets were €1.50.

In many ways, IMO anyway, Saint-Palais might be a better starting point than SJPP, and there is anyway an Albergue there ...

trecile

Staff member
PAST - Francés, Norte, Salvador, Portuguese
It is a recurring problem.

There is another option that pilgrims usually don't consider, as it is a little more complicated.

But you can get a small local bus to Saint-Palais. From there, either walk on the Camino to SJPP, or get a different small local bus up there. Last time I looked, tickets were €1.50.

In many ways, IMO anyway, Saint-Palais might be a better starting point than SJPP, and there is anyway an Albergue there ...
Interesting idea!
For those who might consider this, Saint-Palais falls in the middle of Gronze's stage 28 of the LePuy route, with stage 29 ending in St Jean Pied de Port.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
It's close to the juncture of the Le Puy route with the Vézelay way.

Most read last week in this forum

Used Jacotrans for past 2 weeks. Received backpack today after a transfer in Astorga. Found one shoulder tension strap ripped out of its seam making backpack completely unusable. Other shoulder...
I am currently in SdC and am looking for the best way to return to Pamplona with my dog. Alsa will not take us, Any suggestions, ideas?
Friends, any suggestions of how best to get from Carrion de los Condes to Burgos on Saturday 1st October next (in the morning). Thanks

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2022 Camino Guides