• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trains from Madrid to Malaga

marilyn van graan

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2012) VDLP (2014) Portuguese (2015)
Can anyone out there help with info on train bookings - is it necessary to book in advance and if so what is the best site to use -

A selection of Camino Jewellery
https://venta.renfe.com/vol/search.do On a randomly selected mid-week date there are some 16 trains from Madrid - Puerta de Atocha. Booking in advance is rarely necessary except around public holidays. You can, if you wish, book on the RENFE site though the site is renowned for declining foreign (non-Spanish) credit cards some succeed without issue. If you qualify for a Tarjeta Dorada - discount card for the over-60's - you will have to purchase both at Puerta de Atocha as you need to present your passport.

Buen camino

By booking in advance you would get (way) cheaper fares. OTOH, the cheaper fares aren't good if you need to change your ticket for whatever reason... Read beforehand the rules of the specific fare if you think you may need to change your ticket (date or hour) or to cancel it.

If you don't bother to pay full fare (what isn't cheap on high speed trains like the ones linking Madrid with Málaga) and have a little bit of flexibility with your travel time or the class (tourist, business), you could book it on the spot once on the ground (queues may be long though). If you are traveling on a Friday or Sunday afternoon/evening or any other peak period (Easter, some summer days...), you are more likely to find a train is already full if you try to get a ticket a few minutes in advance so if you need to travel on such a date and aren't flexible enough as to be able to stay overnight in Madrid and travel to Málaga next day if necessary, it might be a good idea to get your ticket in advance to play it safe(r).

Regarding where to book the tickets online, the RENFE web is an option but if it doesn't work well for you, there are alternatives. Take a look at www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm for info about how to book, whether to book in advance or not and some other useful info.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The trains departing for Malaga are either early in the morning or after lunch from Atocha station. Most of the fast speed train goes to Sevilla so when you get a ticket you most likely need to transfer in Cordoba.

If you arrive in Madrid in the morning take the train from the airport directly to Atocha, not the subway (requires 2 train changes) and you can take the afternoon train and in Malaga by the evening. For this I don't suggest booking in advance in case there is a delay at the Airport. If you are spending a night in Madrid then you can save a bit by booking in advance.

Thank you all so much - I have had problems trying to book - I thought it was just me not bring able to do the right thing but now it does make sense the difficulty is using my c/card. My flight gets in at 1-30 so I will go to booking and chat to them there - even if I get in late into Malaga I have my accommodation booked so will take a taxi. Buen Camino and once again many thanks for all your input - very much appreciated

1:30 pm? It might be too late for the afternoon train as you need an hour to get to the station from the airport. Hope you have accommodation in Madrid.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you use EU standard 01:30 is AM, PM would be 13:30.
So what is it if you need further assitance? But maybe you've already sorted your booking problems out?

Anyway - Ultreia!

If you use EU standard 01:30 is AM, PM would be 13:30.
So what is it if you need further assitance? But maybe you've already sorted your booking problems out?

Anyway - Ultreia!
Sorry about that - I do mean 13-30 so I am sure that will give me a couple of trains in the afternoon?

Sorry about that - I do mean 13-30 so I am sure that will give me a couple of trains in the afternoon?
On April 13th (mid-week randomly chosen date) you have 7 trains from Madrid to Malaga after 13:30. Prices varies from 39,75 - 79,50€, times of travel between 02:23 - 04:23. I wouldn't be worried but maybe it's best to book in advance according to date/day of travel. Fridays & Sundays might be full.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On April 13th (mid-week randomly chosen date) you have 7 trains from Madrid to Malaga after 13:30. Prices varies from 39,75 - 79,50€, times of travel between 02:23 - 04:23. I wouldn't be worried but maybe it's best to book in advance according to date/day of travel. Fridays & Sundays might be full.
Thanks for this one - I arrive on Wednesday but I really do have great difficulty trying to use my c/card on the train booking site so maybe it will be okay to book at the airport - will have to be unless my last try to book on line is successful

Buen camino, Marilyn. As well a baie goeie camino.

Renfe International Sales Point for SA

SUDÁFRICA
WORLD TRAVEL
Samro Place,9th Floor, 20 De Korte Street, Braamfontein
2000 JOHANNESBURG

• telefono.png
    Teléfono : +271 162 823 19
  • fax.png
    Fax : + 278 653 242 81
  • web.png
    Web: www.worldtravel.co.za/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back