• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trains from Madrid to Sevilla

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I will arrive in Madrid Barajas Airport 10 am Friday, May 2. I plan to stay at Triana Backpackers for Friday and Saturday nights and start walking on Sunday. Here are my questions. I am 65 and plan on getting the Targeta Dorada and take the train to Sevilla Friday afternoon. Which train is the most convenient and easy to get to go to Sevilla? I am assuming that any train that I take will start from the Achota Train Station.

I also noticed if I take the AVE train that they have 3 different stations/destinations in Sevilla (San Bernardo, Santa Justa, Virgen Del Rocia). Which of these three stations is the nearest to Triana Backpackers? Any thoughts and advice would be gratefully received. Buen Camino! -Hieu

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are AVEs from Atocha to Santa Justa on the hour (2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm etc) taking about 2 1/2 hours to get to Sevilla. If you're confident about exactly when you can get away it's usually cheaper to book your ticket in advance.

Santa Justa is the mainline station where the AVEs arrive. From there to Triana it's probably about an hour to walk, or there are trams, buses and taxis.

The AVE line to Seville is a fabulous trip, although almost too fast to enjoy properly.

Which of these three stations is the nearest to Triana Backpackers?
Santa Justa is the end of the line, and closest to Triana Backpackers, which is about 3.4km and a forty minute walk from the station.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi hieudovan,
The AVE discount for the Tarjeta Dorada on Fridays is 25% off the published fare. (40% off M-Th). For Friday,May 2, that fare is 56.50 on RENFE's website. You can get that fare when you walk in on the day of travel.

But there are still some web promotional fares available to anyone for May 2, not restricted to tarjeta dorada. Some of the afternoon trains still have webfares as low as 30.20. Both the 2 pm and the 3 pm trains are available at that price, for instance.

Apparently, RENFE's website is now easy to use, so if you know what time would work for you, you could try to purchase online. Buen camino, Laurie

There are AVEs from Atocha to Santa Justa on the hour (2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm etc) taking about 2 1/2 hours to get to Sevilla. If you're confident about exactly when you can get away it's usually cheaper to book your ticket in advance.

Santa Justa is the mainline station where the AVEs arrive. From there to Triana it's probably about an hour to walk, or there are trams, buses and taxis.

The AVE line to Seville is a fabulous trip, although almost too fast to enjoy properly.

Thank you Alan. That is very helpful information on the train. Now I can cross another item off my preparation list.

I have received conflicting information about booking ahead or at the time of arrival. I've read on another thread that with Targeta Dorada, it'd be better/cheaper to book the ticket at Atocha itself. For me, another "plus" for not booking ahead is in case I don't make it in time (delay, missing plane transfer), I'd have to deal with refund (if any).

I'll probably book my ticket at Achota as the Targeta Dorada would entitle me to 25% off. I'll also take the 1-hr walk to Triana to help me with jet lag, having just come from the US West Coast. Thanks again and buen camino. -Hieu

Hi hieudovan,
The AVE discount for the Tarjeta Dorada on Fridays is 25% off the published fare. (40% off M-Th). For Friday,May 2, that fare is 56.50 on RENFE's website. You can get that fare when you walk in on the day of travel.

But there are still some web promotional fares available to anyone for May 2, not restricted to tarjeta dorada. Some of the afternoon trains still have webfares as low as 30.20. Both the 2 pm and the 3 pm trains are available at that price, for instance.

Apparently, RENFE's website is now easy to use, so if you know what time would work for you, you could try to purchase online. Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you Laurie. I was just on the RENFE site and tried to buy a ticket for the 3 pm train. I was able to enter everything except the date of departure. Despite clicking on "May 2" on the calendar provided, only "NaNa/NaNa/NaNa" showed up in the field, which RENFE rejected as an "incorrect date" : ( I tried to manually enter the date, but no matter what I type, only the same "NaNa" showed up. With the webfares as low as 30.20 Euros, I'll try again later. Interesting enough, for "Origin," they have both Achota and Barajas T-4 as choices that I could make. Thanks again for everyone's helpful information. Buen camino, Hieu

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just a quick response to one point you made, Hieu. Your AVE ticket will include the price of a Cercanias ticket to get to the train station at Atocha , so if you are arriving in Barajas and planning to take the train, your journey should start in T-4. Buen camino, Laurie

I think you're probably wise to buy when you get to the station, as some of the cheaper advanced tickets have no refund if you miss the specific train you're booked on. I think it must be that the renfe website doesn't allow bookings from the US, as when I tried it (from England) it was quite happy to sell me a ticket on the 3pm on May 2, which I would love to travel on, but sadly can't. [the €32.50 ticket is only available if you're in a group of 4, the cheapest "normal" advanced single ticket on that train at the moment seems to be €46.80, before the tarjeta dorada discount]

You'll enjoy the walk though Sevilla, as it's a wonderful city. As falcon says, you could manage to get to Triana in 40 minutes, but 2 hours is more likely once you've enjoyed the sights, sounds and smells, and perhaps had a copa and a tapa or two en route.

Buen camino, and hope you'll keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you Laurie, Alan and Falcon. I feel better and better as I prepare for the VdLP. Reminded me of 2012 when I was preparing to walk the camino for the first time, the CF. The generosity, camaraderie and helpfulness of the peregrinos made it a wonderful experience for me. I am looking forward to having another great walk again. Oh, yes, I'll buy my ticket at Barajas and get the "free" ticket to Cercanias. Buen camino. -Hieu

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you Laurie, Alan and Falcon. I feel better and better as I prepare for the VdLP. Reminded me of 2012 when I was preparing to walk the camino for the first time, the CF. The generosity, camaraderie and helpfulness of the peregrinos made it a wonderful experience for me. I am looking forward to having another great walk again. Oh, yes, I'll buy my ticket at Barajas and get the "free" ticket to Cercanias. Buen camino. -Hieu

Hi Hieudovan,
I'm also walking the VDLP leaving from Trianna backpackers on May 8th. I'm 64 and hope to meet up with you somewhere along the way. Angela

I hope you will plan on spending some hours at Italica! There are several buses leaving from the Sevilla bus station every morning to go there. There is a bar across the street where you can get coffee or lunch. I loved Sevilla - wonderful place! There is a lot to see there.

I hope you will plan on spending some hours at Italica! There are several buses leaving from the Sevilla bus station every morning to go there. There is a bar across the street where you can get coffee or lunch. I loved Sevilla - wonderful place! There is a lot to see there.
Thanks Annie. I have Saturday "free" before walking on Sunday, May 4. The Italica photos look quite interesting. I'll start there in the morning then walk around Sevilla in the afternoon/evening before returning to Triana for the night. I understand that the markets will be closed on Sunday, any suggestion (from anyone) about getting food for my Sunday hike? I get hungry between cafes when I hike : ) Hieu

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hieu and Annie...This is my first pilgrimage and I am so elated! I arrive in Madrid on May 5th and am staying in the city for a couple days. I meet my friend on May 7th at the airport where we will catch the train to Sevilla and begin our trek. First time for her as well. So here we are...2 newbies! However after reading your posts I'm thinking of changing itinerary and taking the train directly to Sevilla after my flight lands and spend a couple days and have my friend meet me there. Do you think Sevilla is a better choice to spend time rather than Madrid? And...what is Trina Backpackers and where? Couple more questions por favor. What is targeta dorado? What is Italica? Thank you thank you. Oh...I'm in my sixties as well and also from the Western U S. Boomers rock! And we are "the real stuff" as in original hippies! Peace. Now I'm reeeeally psyched! Victoria

Can somebody tell me how I get from Barajas Airport to Atocha.

thanks
David

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yellow bus outside terminal 4 took me straight to Atocha (stopping at the other terminals)on my way to Seville in 2012.

Thank you for all this great information on this link I can now also tick this off my list

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you. I'm gonna try to purchase tkt today!
Can anyone tell me which would be the nearest train station to the cathedral in Sevilla - I am leaving from Madrid and booked into a hostel around the corner from it
Thanks and buen camino
Marilyn

Can anyone tell me which would be the nearest train station to the cathedral in Sevilla - I am leaving from Madrid and booked into a hostel around the corner from it
Thanks and buen camino
Marilyn

Hi, Marilyn,
Santa Justa is where you get off, it's not that far from the central part of the city. I have just learned how to do screen shots, let's see if I am able to insert the walking map from train station to cathedral. Hope that works! Laurie

Screenshot 2014-03-28 11.35.45.png

Hi, Marilyn,
Santa Justa is where you get off, it's not that far from the central part of the city. I have just learned how to do screen shots, let's see if I am able to insert the walking map from train station to cathedral. Hope that works! Laurie

View attachment 8952
Thanks Laurie this map is great the route goes right down my street - thanks also to everyone for all their help with regard to my posts - Cape Town is so beautiful and sunny right now hope this great weather will follow me to Spain next month
Buen camino Marilyn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back