• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trains from Madrid

tsher09

Time of past OR future Camino
Beginning of March (2019)
Hi everyone, my apologies if this has been asked recently, but my search feature is simply not working.
I am looking at the Renfe schedule from Madrid to either Sarria or Lugo for a starting point (limited time). Every time I’ve used it, it’s been full of glitches and gives errors, so not sure if what I’m seeing is accurate. I only see one daily train beginning at around 12:55 (arrival late). I don’t see anything earlier on any other day in the next two months or so, as well. I remember there being an early train but perhaps they have reduced schedules? Aside from busses, not sure anything can get me there earlier, which makes me lose two days to travel.
Thanks in advance!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone, my apologies if this has been asked recently, but my search feature is simply not working.
I am looking at the Renfe schedule from Madrid to either Sarria or Lugo for a starting point (limited time). Every time I’ve used it, it’s been full of glitches and gives errors, so not sure if what I’m seeing is accurate. I only see one daily train beginning at around 12:55 (arrival late). I don’t see anything earlier on any other day in the next two months or so, as well. I remember there being an early train but perhaps they have reduced schedules? Aside from busses, not sure anything can get me there earlier, which makes me lose two days to travel.
Thanks in advance!

How late do do you arrive in Madrid? And will you be arriving on a weekday or in the weekend?

Last edited:
I am looking at the Renfe schedule from Madrid to either Sarria or Lugo for a starting point (limited time). Every time I’ve used it, it’s been full of glitches and gives errors, so not sure if what I’m seeing is accurate. I only see one daily train beginning at around 12:55 (arrival late). I don’t see anything earlier on any other day in the next two months or so, as well.
I see three trains for this Monday to both Sarria and Lugo from Madrid (todas / all stations) at 7:15am, 12:55pm and 3pm.

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 7.38.17 PM.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
RENFE's website is notorious. It helps to know where you might need to change trains - for instance search Madrid - Ourense then Ourense to Lugo, Sarria is on the same line. Buses work better for most folk 'cos RENFE try very hard to avoid the inconvenience of passengers cluttering their trains

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
RENFE's website is notorious. It helps to know where you might need to change trains - for instance search Madrid - Ourense then Ourense to Lugo, Sarria is on the same line. Buses work better for most folk 'cos RENFE try very hard to avoid the inconvenience of passengers cluttering their trains
Thank you- this information is great. The days prior it simply says there’s a 7:15 but “the requested train is not available at the moment- check back later” - at least that’s the translation. I get a bit of motion sickness so hoping to avoid a longer bus ride…

I use the Raileurope.com website to look at and book my trains. They charge a small service fee but I have found it easy to use. The 12:55 train is the only direct train from Madrid (charmatin station ) to sarria , all the other trains require a change . And yes, it is hard to get to the camino and start walking the day you arrive in Spain, but that also gives you time to settle in. Do you need advice on getting from the airport to charmatin station ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know this sounds weird but what would show up on my phone was different to what would show up on my laptop.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back