• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trains from Santiago back to Madrid

elbosterix

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 23 (French)
Feb/March 24 (Portugues)
Hey Caminantes,

I was wondering if you could help me out with this query.

As I am planning to return to Madrid from Santiago by train (early May), I wanted to check if it was easy enough to arrive to the station in Santiago and get on a train, or whether it is a busy route during that time of the year and therefore it is advisable to book in advance.

Cheers and buen camino to all!

Mariano

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
All Alvia trains require a reservation. You might be able to make one on the day but trains between Santiago and Madrid do sell out quite often. I would book as far in advance as possible. The other advantage of booking well ahead is that tickets are often much cheaper if booked well in advance.

I also recommend booking in advance. If you dont know yet when you are travelling, try to do it while on camino, a few days before you arrive, once you have a better timeframe idea.

Another option is to buy a plane ticket. if you don't have luggage, they can be quite affordable.

On that note, does anyone know if the Trenhotel still operates between Santiago and Madrid? Or did they close that train line? I had the BEST sleep in that train, with the rythmic "woosh-woosh" the whole night...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On that note, does anyone know if the Trenhotel still operates between Santiago and Madrid? Or did they close that train line? I had the BEST sleep in that train, with the rythmic "woosh-woosh" the whole night...
Sadly not. The Trenhotel services were suspended during Covid and then RENFE decided not to reintroduce them in the Galicia region. Not profitable enough.

Last year I was not able to book a train from Santiago to Madrid had to take a bus at 630 Am and was an eight-trip horrible time. I plan on finishing Camino on June 11 should I book now and should I do it on line

The Santiago train station is about a 15/20 minute walk from city center. There are several renfe trains leaving for Madrid every day. Just go to the Renfe website and book it online prior to your trip. Renfe puts schedules online several weeks before dates. Sometimes even 3 months. I booked my Madrid /Pamplona train for April, in January and am about to book my Santiago/Madrid train this week for May. FYI you will have to go through security in Santiago to board the train , so allow an extra 15 minutes or so for this :)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I reserved mine roughly about a year ago for the trip I took on July 2nd (so say 4 months prior to).
Took the fast train @J Willhaus mentions above.
At the time it departed SdC at 10:20 and arrived MAD Chamartín at 13:42 (ALVIA 04254)
Very nice comfortable ride - MUCH better than flying (IMHO) and as always the convenience of downtown to downtown

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Unless you have your heart set on the train I would check what the cost of flying on Iberia Express/Vueling from Santiago to Madrid. I have done it a bunch of times and it is usually the same or even cheaper than the train. I checked Vueling and Iberia Express websites. Iberia Express was cheaper. The first week of May as low as 39 Euros and the second week as low as 20Euros. I am sure checked bags and picking a seat will raise the cost alot.

Unless you have your heart set on the train I would check what the cost of flying on Iberia Express/Vueling from Santiago to Madrid. I have done it a bunch of times and it is usually the same or even cheaper than the train. I checked Vueling and Iberia Express websites. Iberia Express was cheaper. The first week of May as low as 39 Euros and the second week as low as 20Euros. I am sure checked bags and picking a seat will raise the cost alot.
my ticket that I referenced above was €41.30 - beautiful wide cushy seat, 3 hours of awesome Spanish countryside rolling by, no worries about carry-on and\or checked in baggage and all the fees; not to mention getting to and from both airports...

I completely understand that "to each his\her own" but if I can stay away from the planes (esp. on a "reasonably short" hop) than thats what I will do

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I triple endorse previous posts advising you to book the ticket well in advance. I was in Santiago at the end of August, which is a very busy time. I tried to reserve a train seat about ten days before I planned to return to Madrid and all trains were completely sold out. I had planned to spend the weekend in Madrid but instead booked a flight from Santiago arriving in Madrid five hours before my flight back to the U.S. last minute plane tickets were easy to find.

Thank you everyone for your messages. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I'll get into booking the ticket early then. I would never consider flying when the train is available, love the feeling of flexibility and freedom the train gives you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey Caminantes,

As I am planning to return to Madrid from Santiago by train (early May), I wanted to check if it was easy enough to arrive to the station in Santiago and get on a train, or whether it is a busy route during that time of the year and therefore it is advisable to book in advance.

Mariano
I had a difficult time trying for train reservations for March 28 - I went with Ryan air even with luggage and seat 45 euros!

Definitely book ahead…last go around I got the last seat on the train. I just walked to the station and bought my ticket 2 days in advance. Besides it’s always good to check the route ahead of time.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Renfe has different types of trains. AVE and Avlo are usually high speed. Alvia and Avant are also pretty fast. Media distance are slower and may be local trains with a lot of stops. Cercanias are commuter trains with more stops near big cities. The travel time may depend on the number of stops. You may need to go from Santiago to Ourense, make a transfer (very easy and fast as almost everyone gets off one train and gets on another in a gaggle) and then continue on to Madrid on the AVE train.

Hey Caminantes,

Mariano
It looks like we have a pretty much same time frame for the camino walk. Returning from Santiago to Madrid of my itinerary is May 12th and I made purchase of the train ticket by Renfe on on-line recently.
Ticket price is 20.65 euro and departing Santiago on 7:47am, arriving Chamartin station of Madrid at 11:34am. I believe the early booking is advisable as we all agree.
Hope this info would help for your planning. Will probably see you somewhere and sometime on the way to Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Santiago train station is about a 15/20 minute walk from city center. There are several renfe trains leaving for Madrid every day. Just go to the Renfe website and book it online prior to your trip. Renfe puts schedules online several weeks before dates. Sometimes even 3 months. I booked my Madrid /Pamplona train for April, in January and am about to book my Santiago/Madrid train this week for May. FYI you will have to go through security in Santiago to board the train , so allow an extra 15 minutes or so for this :)
Hey there, I am flying into Madrid in April as well and taking the train to Pamplona. I am trying to book the train now and I am trying to decide if an hour and forty-five minutes is enough time to deplane, get through immigration, get my bag and get to the station. Any advice?

Depends on traffic and time of day and if your plane is delayed somewhere. It would probably be tight even if all went as you hoped, but it is possible. You might want to buy tickets that can be rebooked for the train.

We always sleep the first night in Madrid due to jet lag, then catch a train or bus the next morning.

Hey, just a thought and disregard if you aren't into it. Have you looked at Ryan Air flights out of SDC to Mad? Takes an hour. SDC airport is super chill. I'm not sure the price is that different.

There's a bus too from the old town in Santiago to SDC, or a taxi which costs $23 now i think.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It looks like we have a pretty much same time frame for the camino walk. Returning from Santiago to Madrid of my itinerary is May 12th and I made purchase of the train ticket by Renfe on on-line recently.
Ticket price is 20.65 euro and departing Santiago on 7:47am, arriving Chamartin station of Madrid at 11:34am. I believe the early booking is advisable as we all agree.
Hope this info would help for your planning. Will probably see you somewhere and sometime on the way to Santiago.
Wow, what are the chances! That's the exact same train ticket I bought. I guess we'll be on the same train then ::)
When and where are you starting your camino?
I'm starting 5th April from Roncesvalles.
See you along the way 😊

May? Book it.

Renfe is notoriously short on trains to Galicia and they fill up fast. May is one of the busiest months.

These days the train is the best way to go, and is nearly as fast as a flight from city center to city center.

Hey there, I am flying into Madrid in April as well and taking the train to Pamplona. I am trying to book the train now and I am trying to decide if an hour and forty-five minutes is enough time to deplane, get through immigration, get my bag and get to the station. Any advice?
It's very tight but possible. But personally I wouldn't risk it. I come from the USA and always sleep near Madrid Atocha station to recover from jetlag and take the train the next day to Pamplona.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Caminantes,

Mariano
I used to just walk into the station and buy a ticket, though I bought it in advance, part of that was that I wanted to be sure I knew where to go ahead of time. I missed a bus between Carrion de Los Condes and Leon because I didn't book in uhh ahead and it was full, and ended up paying 100 euros for a cab. If the timing is important, I'd book a couple days ahead online to make sure you catch the schedule you need. Also, more options available for seat choice or buying the second seat on buses if you book ahead. Haven't taken a train in a while, same station now.

I used to just walk into the station and buy a ticket, though I bought it in advance, part of that was that I wanted to be sure I knew where to go ahead of time. I missed a bus between Carrion de Los Condes and Leon because I didn't book in uhh ahead and it was full, and ended up paying 100 euros for a cab. If the timing is important, I'd book a couple days ahead online to make sure you catch the schedule you need. Also, more options available for seat choice or buying the second seat on buses if you book ahead. Haven't taken a train in a while, same station now.
Meant to say that in 2022, I bought ticket online in advance to make sure I caught the bus I needed.

I reserved mine roughly about a year ago for the trip I took on July 2nd (so say 4 months prior to).
Took the fast train @J Willhaus mentions above.
At the time it departed SdC at 10:20 and arrived MAD Chamartín at 13:42 (ALVIA 04254)
Very nice comfortable ride - MUCH better than flying (IMHO) and as always the convenience of downtown to downtown
I'll be doing this in April. What train line was this and what company did you book through? Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back