• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trains from Santiago de Compostela

dizzydog

I am inquiring re trains from Santiago de Compostela to Bilbao. On the main RENFE website I cannot bring up a train journey from one place to the other. However, I have put in Bilbao to Leon, Bilbao to Astorga and returns, and also Santiago to Astorga and Santiago to Leon, and when I do I bring up times that seem to be the same trains. I don't know if I am expressing myself well.

I intend to walk the Camino de Santiago de Compostela from Astorga, flying into Bilbao on 15 Sept, travelling to Astorga by train on 16 Sept. I know that leg of the journey works, but getting back from Santiago to Bilbao for flying out from Bilbao on 1 October is where I have the problem.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
No sure about RENFE, it might be that the connection in those cities are not good ones, that you may have to stay the night and there fore they will not make the trip in one booking.

I did check the Alsa bus, and there seems to be 3 buses per day from Santiago to Bilbao.
1) Santiago 08:30 Bilbao 20:45
2) Santiago 18:00 Bilbao 05:15
3) Santiago 23:15 Bilbao 08:45

Alsa does not allow bookings for September yet. If you need help booking this once it is available, I can help you. The price (including my booking fee is €60,77).

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's good except it doesn't give prices, or at least I haven't figured out how to find the prices.
I'm looking for the price from Santiago to Sevilla but can't find it.

Hi!

The price is around 90 Euros. You have to change station, Chamartin to Atocha.
You find the price by way of ''Comprar'' rather than ''horarios''.

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

The price comes up in the Precio column, one for buying at the station, one for buying in advance on the internet. Some have had a problem buying in advance on the internet, usually with non-Spanish credit cards. The search feature opens a new window, so if you have a pop-up blocker on your internet program, you may not get the new window.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
falcon269 said:
The price comes up in the Precio column, one for buying at the station, one for buying in advance on the internet. Some have had a problem buying in advance on the internet, usually with non-Spanish credit cards. The search feature opens a new window, so if you have a pop-up blocker on your internet program, you may not get the new window.

Actually, I wasn't even able to use a non-Spanish credit card at the station in Santiago itself, personally, to buy a train ticket to France: I had to pay with cash.
Margaret

Thanks everyone! At least I have a ballpark figure.

Now, my last question is ... does anyone know if I really need to make reservations ahead of time to go by train from Santiago to Sevilla? Or can I just buy the ticket when I arrive in August?

The bus trip is about half that price. However, it's a very long trip. If I went by bus, I'd want to break it up into two days...

Has anyone taken either trip?

Thnaks to all who have responded to this post. I have decided to fly to Bilbao and train to Astorga, arriving in Astorga on 18th September. I don't know yet how I will get back to Bilbao from Santiago. Probably bus but it's a looong journey on a bus.
I have started a blog but I am keeping a strictly private update there. At the moment I am trying to build up my training and also will be shopping soon. All the submissions re gear, backpacks, feet, and so on will occupy me from now on.
My train from Bilbao gets into Astorga at 14.45. Anyone got an opinion about putting in a few kilometres that afternoon or should I wait in Astorga and start the following morning?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you are spending the first night in Astorga the former bishop's palace next to the cathedral, eccentrically designed by Gaudi, is worth a visit. You would still have time to visit the palace and walk about five kilometres on to an albergue in Murias if you prefer to move on.
We have travelled by bus to Bilbao, it is a long journey but reasonably cheap compared to travel costs in the U.K. When we did the journey about ten years ago one had a good view of pilgrims walking beside the road on their way to Santiago but I suppose there are now new roads that bypass the camino.

Getting to and from various places on the Camino from which people start is a popular thread. In my case I did not want to fly to Santiago and come back along the route of the Camino to Astorga where I intend to start. Therefore how to get to Astorga some other way?
I am flying into and out of Bilbao and taking the train to Astorga my starting point.
But then, getting back from Santiago was my next problem.
I have now more or less decided to take the train to Burgos from Santiago, and the next morning from Burgos to Bilbao, overnighting in Burgos.
If I were going again, I think I would fly to someplace other than Bilbao but anyway, those are my plans.
I will be in Bilbao on 17th Sept and Astorga on the 18th Sept.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back