• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trains in France on special holidays

Laliibeans

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
I was going to ask this at a travel agent but maybe someone here will be able to help without trying to sell me something: My family have set the dates for our Camino but it looks like we'll be needing to get from Paris to SJPP by train on good Friday.

I'm not familiar with how this holiday works in Europe, but in South Australia the world basically stops, nothing is open and public transport is all but non-existent.

Is it the same in France or will we be fine catching a train without being limited to less services, etc?

If it's going to be an issue we may have to move our start date a day earlier or later, we're just trying to make the most of the public holidays so we can get the leave off that we need.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good Friday isn't a public holiday in France, but Easter Monday is. The trains are likely to be very full though, as people travel for the long weekend. If you haven't reserved seats, you could well be standing if you get on.

You won't be still in France, but anyone who is needs to watch out for all the May holidays. May 1st is Labour Day, May 8th is WW2 Victory Day, and Ascension Day and the Monday after Pentecost are public holidays. Lots of things pretty much close down for long weekends any time a public holiday lands close to a weekend, such as around Pentecost.
Margaret

Thanks, i think we'd have reservations on the TGV but not on the train from Bayonne to SJPP, maybe it would be best to shift a day either side just to be on the safe side.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here is a link to the CURRENT line 62 TER timetable for trains from Bayonne to SJPdP until July 6, 2013 >> http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Imag ... -67795.pdf. You find the info on the second screen down. On holidays in May there appears to be trains at 7:45, 14:55 and a bus at 21:10

Remember all TER trains do NOT go everyday! These have open seating like a tram or the metro; there are NO reserved seats. You can buy a ticket in advance but it is for transport only. The price from Bayonne to SJPdP (last stop) is roughly 10 euros.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks, Margaret. It looks like I'd have to book flights well in advance of the train tickets, but I think from looking at that that it should work out okay.

We've been caught twice with unexpected train strikes in France

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laliibeans said:
Yikes! What did you do? Just wait it out?
One time we got together with a couple of other stranded passengers and hired a car. The other time my partner was supposed to be leaving France by plane from Nice back to Australia the next day but the regional train from Pau to Nice was not running due to a wildcat strike. Luckily the helpful stationmaster pushed him onto the just-leaving TGV to Paris (without ticket) and he was able to change his flight departure from Nice to Paris. Now we always travel to our flight departure point a few days early just "in case"!

We got stuck at Mt San Michelle during a train strike. We had a ferry to catch to Ireland, so had to make our destination or lose our reservations. We partnered up with two other travelers and rented a taxi and shared the cost. Worked out fine.

I think the trick is to factor in a few extra days for such emergencies, and then to just relax and ride the wave :lol:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, I'm thinking now that while for my mum and myself it won't be a problem if we have to start a day or two later, for my sister and niece it might cause some issues as they are on a tighter schedule.

Maybe we can arrange to meet in SJPP instead of in Paris, that way they can head there the day before and ready to start and my mum and I can catch up if we have any delays.

We'll see. I'm sure we won't have any problems, but I just like to make contingency plans for the start as it's my sister's first time overseas and I don't want her to have to worry.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back