• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trains on strike in Bayonne

vicky mc

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France's
Trains are not running from Bayonne to SJPDP and only two busses a day early morning and around 6pm I've missed the early one so if anyone wants to share a taxi I'll be hanging around the station :-(

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hopefully you will spot some fellow pilgrims at the station, who will also be looking for 'share buddies'. Just ask a few...

Trains are not running from Bayonne to SJPDP and only two busses a day early morning and around 6pm I've missed the early one so if anyone wants to share a taxi I'll be hanging around the station :-(
Vicky I am sorry for your troubles. I am traveling the same route and will arrive in Paris tomorrow morning. Did you have any luck with your cab? Did you prepay your train ticket and if so were you refunded? What was cab fare? Thanks and I'll see you on the trail!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Call Caroline at:

Tel: +33 (0)6 61 96 04 76
e-Mail: apcaroline@hotmail.com

She speaks English. If she has a van in or near Bayonne, she will be happy to add more pilgrims to the load. You share the cost.

I hope this helps.
Tom, other big issue in Sud Ouest, there are hardly any gas stations open due to petrol strikes. My friends are chanting, "Je suis essence."

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi
Vicky I am sorry for your troubles. I am traveling the same route and will arrive in Paris tomorrow morning. Did you have any luck with your cab? Did you prepay your train ticket and if so were you refunded? What was cab fare? Thanks and I'll see you on the trail!
brad I got a taxi with two other pilgrims the cost was 100 euros between us. Good luck getting here I think only certain trains are not running.

I have booked a van from Bayonne to St Jean. I arrive in Bayonne around 2:30 on Friday 27th so if any other pilgrims are in need climb aboard! Message me if you are interested.

In the parking lot of the Bayonne train station is the bus 'station'. Early morning there is a 1€ bus to St Palais. The bus stops next to the church. From the church you can start walking south, on the Tours route. Or catch a bus in St Palais to St Jean.

Or walk to Ostabat and catch the afternoon bus to St Jean from there. There is an alburgue in St Palais as well as many hostals.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This photo of the St Palais - St Jean schedule is a couple years old. The bus is not daily, but there are contact details. Maybe it is online now.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    216.1 KB · Views: 1

Go to Place de Basques (about 1km from Gare Bayonne). Catch Euskadi Express Transports64 #816 bus to Gare d'Hendaye. (hourly). Take Metro Donostialdea Metro from Hendaia station (co-located with Gare d'Hendaye) to Amara station in San Sebastian. Catch ALSA (CONDA) bus from outdoor bus station at Plaza Pio XII San Sebastian to SJPdP via Pamplona. Amara is 700 meters from the bus area.

Alternatively catch PESA bus from Place de Basques to San Sebastian/Donostia. ALSA operates buses from Gare Bayonne to San Sebastian. These services are once or twice daily.

A well marked camino runs through St Palais. A good walker could get to SJPDP on foot in one day from there. I take two, but I sit and ponder awhile on one of the hills.

She could start walking from Scotland too, but I presume she wanted to start at SJPDP. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the parking lot of the Bayonne train station is the bus 'station'. Early morning there is a 1€ bus to St Palais. The bus stops next to the church. From the church you can start walking south, on the Tours route. Or catch a bus in St Palais to St Jean.
Or walk to Ostabat and catch the afternoon bus to St Jean from there. There is an alburgue in St Palais as well as many hostals.

Twice I have started walking on my Camino in St. Palais with easy connections from Toronto to Paris CdG, TGV to Dax, overnight at O Petit Hotel, bus to St. Palais, and an easy 2-day walk to St.Jean. It's a very nice 'warm-up' to the Pyrenees through beautiful agricultural landscapes on the GR65.

I am glad that you got transport by taxi. I am a bit bewildered by suggestions to go to SJPdP via Saint Palais or Pamplona, what's wrong with walking? After all, Bayonne to SJPdP is only 2-3 days on foot ... a mere 50-60 km.:)

Its a good idea ... I tend to rely on information written about the routes I follow. How would I get from Biarritz Airport or Bayonne to St Palais and onward to SJPdP on foot? Where are the accommodations and essential services such as McDonalds restaurants (for example)?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back