• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trains... trains and more trains.

ward4e

Time of past OR future Camino
'13-French Way
'18-Via de Plata
'23-Gibraltair
I guess this is the curse of a well organised transport system! Options!

Ok so I was going to wing it, arrive off the Plane all jet lagged and awesome in Charles Du Gaulle clear customs in 2 hours or so and hop on the next train south! Alas I listened to a friend who now has given me mental hang ups from her tour of hell... So my question are;

1: Will there still be seats if I just wing it? or will I be stuck in Paris for a day or so?
2: Will I be able to grab accomodation in Bayonne or catch a connecting train on to SJPdP off the last train at 12:40am!?!

mmn... anyone else arriving in Paris on April the 6th?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Chances are on an 'ordinary' date you could 'wing it'. But with the date you are arriving on being Good Friday, you are likely to find public transport full up around that time with French people traveling somewhere on their Easter break...
Margaret

After searching train schedules and trying to link up trains from Paris to Bayonne then to St Jean, it became a nightmare so I looked at air flights. Found a Ryanair flight from Paris to Biarttz for $40 (that's Canadian dollars) but what I consider really cheap. am taking that.
Diane

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
YAY! train to Bayonne is booked, Insurance is booked and patches are sewn on my back packs cool.. test pack average success.. Right MONDAY! Now for the train to St Jean Pied du Port.

Ha! Hahahahahah! oh bugger, according to the planner over on TER I arrive 20mins after the last train go's to St Jean! classic! :wink:

Anniesantiago said:
By the way, trains in Spain run on TIME... to the minute.
I learned that lesson a couple of years ago when I caught the (wrong) train to Vigo trying to get to Reb's Peaceful Kingdom. The train I jumped on left the station and about 2 minutes behind it was MY train!

You can read about it here:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/11/wrong-train-to-vigo-via-rome-or-annies.html

Trains running on time in Spain?

Last year my overnight train from Burgos to Paris arrived 50 minutes late and then arrived in Paris 90 minutes the following morning.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So.... yeah, checked and no matter which site I check I still miss the last train by 20mins. Wow gone is the concept that I could hop off one train and on to the next!

Now to the options, buses, share a taxi? ok time to trawl the forum.. Feel free to chime in if anyone is arriving on the same train from Paris. Its the 12:29pm from Montparnasse Station arriving in Bayonne at 6:30pm. Gare Montparnasse... or just Montparnasse? No doubt the French will correct me...

Possible meet up and taxi ride? :|

Gare Montpartnasse... cool thankyou.

Anyway I would like to thank Caroline over at Express Bourricot for helping out another retard...

On a lighter note if there are any pilgrims wandering aimlessly around the station on the 7th at 6:30pm... I will see if we can hook up a ride for you! I kinda booked for one :|

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ok... weird the main site doesn't list it. The last train listed on http://www.ter-sncf.com is 6:10pm. :?:

Is it a ghost train? appears on paper but doesn't actually run. I'm kind of used to these here in Queensland.

Ward, on the pdf download of the train timetable, on the top of the column with a train at 9.09pm there is a heading at the top, "Ven Dim Fêtes" - which means it runs only on Fridays, Sundays and holidays. When I put a Thursday in the TER search the 9.09pm train never showed, but when I put in the date of Friday April 6th, it did show up, leaving Bayonne at 21:09 and arriving in SJPP at 22:27
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
well kiwi one good thing I guess, my stupidity and the information it produces is everyone gain I guess ?

next time i'm flying to barittz and catching the train... or bringing a group and splitting the costs.

No stupidity on your part ward- I just happen to understand a reasonable amount of French, and have spent quite some time on French trains and hence on working out the finer points of their timetables.
All the best for your Camino!
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back