• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trains

momof34man

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 Camino Frances, 2018 Cotswolds
I have been looking into getting my tickets before arriving in Madrid.
I will be taking a train from Madrid to Pamplona and I am finding varying prices.
My actual day isn't available for purchase, but I was checking into prices for two months away just to see what the prices were.

What is your experience with these sites?
http://www.raileurope-world.com/ (about 38 Euros)
http://www.renfe.com/ (about 38 Euros)
https://www.raileurope.com ( site came up in dollars - $73 , or about 63 euros)

There is a slight difference in prices. Which site is reputable (or to be trusted)?

Also, is there open seating? I have friends that I am traveling with, so if we all buy our tickets independantly would we still be able to sit together? Or will we need to purchase tickets together to sit near each other.

Thank you in advance -
Margie (momof34man)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Unless you are travelling on a week-end (Friday - Sunday) or a public holiday there is probably no need to book in advance unless you need that comfort. Flight delays can make a mess of the best laid plans.

That said RENFE's own site is a reliable as any government owned national transport system :cool:. RENFE offer a discounted ticket for parties of 4 travelling together so you may wish to take a look at that. It is the only way you will guarantee sitting together. I have never quite understood RENFE's seat allocation process but on one occasion booking tickets for me and the Beloved, purchasing two tickets simultaneously, we found ourselves allocated seats in different carriages. Perhaps its a Spanish thing ;)

Are you set on taking the train?
I find it easiest to walk out the doors of the airport and onto a bus that takes me to Pamplona.
I do it every year.
The cost is around €30 and I just pay the driver.
Spanish buses, by the way, are Mercedez Benz buses and are wonderful!
Better sightseeing than on the noisy train, in my opinion.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I find it easiest to walk out the doors of the airport and onto a bus that takes me to Pamplona.
I do it every year.

I arrive in Madrid at midnight. We are taking a taxi to the hotel since the bus and the shuttles do not run at that hour. We are booked across the street from the Atocha train station, so I am committed to the train to Pamplona. The ladies in my group want to see the country by train as well.

I see. Well, in that case, I would probably use RENFE.
Are any of you over 60? If yes, you can get the Tarjeta Dorada price.
Personally, I'd probably just wait and buy my ticket at the station.

Unless you are travelling on a week-end (Friday - Sunday) or a public holiday there is probably no need to book in advance unless you need that comfort. Flight delays can make a mess of the best laid plans.

That said RENFE's own site is a reliable as any government owned national transport system :cool:. RENFE offer a discounted ticket for parties of 4 travelling together so you may wish to take a look at that. It is the only way you will guarantee sitting together. I have never quite understood RENFE's seat allocation process but on one occasion booking tickets for me and the Beloved, purchasing two tickets simultaneously, we found ourselves allocated seats in different carriages. Perhaps its a Spanish thing ;)

I've heard I could save a lot of money if I book my train ticket in advance. I will check into the discounted group rate.
My airplane arrives near midnight, so to save time, and hassle the next morning I will book ahead. It will be hard enough to wake up in the morning in a different time zone.
Thanks for the information!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I see. Well, in that case, I would probably use RENFE.
Are any of you over 60? If yes, you can get the Tarjeta Dorada price.
Personally, I'd probably just wait and buy my ticket at the station.

Only one person is over 60. I will let her know. Thank you!

I do it every year.
This was very helpful to me as I will be arriving in Madrid in the morning. So just to make sure I have the info correct...there will be no need for me to secure a bus ticket in advance? and the bus is just outside the airport doors? any other info that you can share with me (such as name of the bus going to Pamplona) would be helpful. thanks

I've heard I could save a lot of money if I book my train ticket in advance. I will check into the discounted group rate.
My airplane arrives near midnight, so to save time, and hassle the next morning I will book ahead. It will be hard enough to wake up in the morning in a different time zone.
Thanks for the information!

If you are interested in saving money, RailEurope is not the way to go. They are brokers and add a substantial fee onto every ticket. For some, the lack of hassle is worth it. I have heard that RENFE's website has become much more user friendly, and more accepting of non-Spanish credit cards, but I have no personal experience.

Last summer, I had to buy a RENFE ticket from Pamplona to Ponferrada. It was middle of the week, no holidays in Ponferrada (and no other reason I could see that made Ponferrada a hot spot), and we had decided to leave the purchase till we actually arrived in Pamplona. Arriving in mid afternoon, we found that the faster train option was not available for at least the next three days. We got on a train the next day, but it was the slow boat and took us hours more than the other option.

Good luck with the purchase!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This was very helpful to me as I will be arriving in Madrid in the morning. So just to make sure I have the info correct...there will be no need for me to secure a bus ticket in advance? and the bus is just outside the airport doors? any other info that you can share with me (such as name of the bus going to Pamplona) would be helpful. thanks

Hi Angie,
Go to this link:http://www.movelia.es/es/

and put in Madrid to Pamplona on your date (you'll have to enter the date, not use the calendar)
Then grab and slide the little slider and you'll get the schedule.
Those buses run all day.
I imagine there are exceptions to the rule, but I've never had a problem catching a bus between 6 am and 11 pm.

I have been looking into getting my tickets before arriving in Madrid.
I will be taking a train from Madrid to Pamplona and I am finding varying prices.
My actual day isn't available for purchase, but I was checking into prices for two months away just to see what the prices were.

What is your experience with these sites?
http://www.raileurope-world.com/ (about 38 Euros)
http://www.renfe.com/ (about 38 Euros)
https://www.raileurope.com ( site came up in dollars - $73 , or about 63 euros)

There is a slight difference in prices. Which site is reputable (or to be trusted)?

Also, is there open seating? I have friends that I am traveling with, so if we all buy our tickets independantly would we still be able to sit together? Or will we need to purchase tickets together to sit near each other.

Thank you in advance -
Margie (momof34man)

Note the link at the bottom of the 'horarios y precios' page marked 'puntas de venta internacional'
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/index.html

Petrabax is Renfe international sales point for USA. Price is slightly higher than buying from Renfe. However, there are lots of complaints about Renfe online purchase being rejected for US credit cards and using Petrabax avoids that issue.
http://www.petrabax.com/

Seats are assigned. However, unless the train is full the conductor won't hassle you if you are in a different seat. If its critical ... buy tickets together.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2012 I travelled from Pamplona to Burgos and then Burgos to SDC by train.
Because of problems trying to reserve on RENFE, I booked my tickets in England with Spanish Rail. They charged 10 euros for as many trips or seats as you want.
Once the conductor has inspected your ticket, you seem able to sit in any seat that you like.
At some stations the train enters in one direction and backs out and drives in reverse for a while.
Many passengers do not like travelling backwards and so found other seats to suit.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are interested in saving money, RailEurope is not the way to go. They are brokers and add a substantial fee onto every ticket. For some, the lack of hassle is worth it. I have heard that RENFE's website has become much more user friendly, and more accepting of non-Spanish credit cards, but I have no personal experience.

Last summer, I had to buy a RENFE ticket from Pamplona to Ponferrada. It was middle of the week, no holidays in Ponferrada (and no other reason I could see that made Ponferrada a hot spot), and we had decided to leave the purchase till we actually arrived in Pamplona. Arriving in mid afternoon, we found that the faster train option was not available for at least the next three days. We got on a train the next day, but it was the slow boat and took us hours more than the other option.

Good luck with the purchase!
Glad to hear Renfe's site has improved. It was the most challenging part of my planning for Pamplona. It would not accept a Canadian credit card so at the time, I had no choice but to book with Rail Europe and paid triple the price. I definitely wanted a train simply because I enjoy train travel. In the end, it was worth it. I met my first pilgrims who also were Canadian. We are still in touch today.

Luck of the draw of course but both my T4 to Pamplona and my Burgos to Madrid buses were old restroomless, musty, sticky old things (2014) with things like broken tray tables. I figured on my return trip I'd get a nice new one and all I could do was laugh when I boarded and thought well 2 for 2!

I arrive in Madrid at midnight. We are taking a taxi to the hotel since the bus and the shuttles do not run at that hour. We are booked across the street from the Atocha train station, so I am committed to the train to Pamplona. The ladies in my group want to see the country by train as well.
Hi, if you check ALSABUS from Madrid airport to Pamplona buses leave throughout the night. Good luck.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I hope if I get a restroomless bus they make stops!! :eek:
My Madrid to Pamplona had a 20 min stop (not a non-stop) so there was time if you needed it, my Burgos to Madrid was non-stop!!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

The service provider is ALSA. The bus may be painted with CONDA colours.

Movelia is a ticket vendor; its not the service provider.

ALSA provides bus service from Madrid airport T4 and from Intercambiador Avenida de America to Pamplona. Not all buses go via T4 so you may need to go to Avenida de America. EMT Madrid bus 200 goes from Airport, stopping at all terminals to Avenida de America. There is airport shuttle from T1T2T3 to T4.

You can buy tickets in advance but anecdotal information is that there are usually seats available. There is frequent service. I guess its a matter of risk tolerance; what will you do if your preferred bus is full? Vice: What do you do if your plane arrives too late to catch your bus? Buses are oversubscribed on holidays ... so you need a ticket in advance for those dates. If you decide to buy in advance use Paypal.

See aena airport map for details of the stops.

Madrid Barajas MAD airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/en/home

PLM Autocares also offers bus service from T4 to Pamplona. This bus is direct but usually there is but one per day. I can't access the website today.

Regarding restrooms on buses ...
Madrid to Pamplona - 5 - 6 hours with transfer at Soria or Zaragosa
Madrid to Burgos - 2.5 hours

ALSA provides bus service from Madrid airport T4 and from Intercambiador Avenida de America to Pamplona. Not all buses go via T4 so you may need to go to Avenida de America. EMT Madrid bus 200 goes from Airport, stopping at all terminals to Avenida de America. There is airport shuttle from T1T2T3 to T4.

very helpful information thank you!
(What is Intercambiador Avenida de America?)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
...and if I took a train, do I just take a taxi to the train station?

Cercanias train from T4 runs every half hour and goes to both Renfe Puerta de Atocha and Renfe Chamartin stations.

Madrid Metro runs from T1T2T3 and from T4 to Puerta de Atocha and Chamartin stations every 6 - 10 minutes. (and Avenida de America). There are transfers involved.

EMT Madrid operates an airport express bus from T1T2T3 and T4 to Puerta de Atocha around the clock.

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

Most but not all trains to Pamplona depart from Puerta de Atocha.

Renfe site has changed ... use the horarios and precios button in the Center of Renfe home page to access information about schedules and itineraries.

Madrid Barajas Airport MAD
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Renfe Cercanias Madrid
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

EMT Madrid Airport bus services
http://www.emtmadrid.es/Aeropuerto

adif Puerta de Atocha
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/60000/informacion_000070.shtml

adif Chamartin
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/17000/informacion_000295.shtml

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
...and if I took a train, do I just take a taxi to the train station?

Angie94:

The train, imo, is the better choice than a bus. While the buses are nice, you are confined to your seat. The train has more room, you can get up and walk around, larger bathrooms and a food car where you can get snacks and a drink.

If you are going to Pamplona you will be leaving from the Puerta de Atocha station. The Cercanias train is at the lower level of T4 (terminal 4). The train leaves every 30 minutes. If you flight arrives at T1, you will need to take the airport bus to T4. Takes about 15 minutes. The other option would be to take a cab, from your Terminal, to Puerta de Atocha. The cost should be about 30 euro's.

Ultreya,
Joe

thanks everyone for you input. I will definitely be taking the train and these directions on how to do that make sense to me. (Yayy!) First time through on doing this is a bit intimidating but I am slowly figuring it out.
I hope that when my camino is completed that I can be of help to future pilgrims as all of you are to us newbies!!:)

thank you! I think I may do the train as I have never been on a train ride before...just trying to figure out the times they leave for Pamplona :)

The only way to travel throughout Europe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Petrabax is Renfe international sales point for USA. Price is slightly higher than buying from Renfe. However, there are lots of complaints about Renfe online purchase being rejected for US credit cards and using Petrabax avoids that issue.
http://www.petrabax.com/
thank you SO much for posting this link!! this is going to make getting the train ticket so much easier. I was struggling on the Renfe site but this site is very easy to navigate and it's in English. It doesn't appear that the ticket will be that much higher, so for me it is worth it. Very helpful... (I LOVE this forum!)

I do it every year.

Hi Annie, My flight is arriving in Madrid on Monday 4th April at 9.20 am. I looked at the Alsa bus site to Pamplona and a bus leaves at 10.45 and the next bus doesn't leave until 15.15 (3.15) which means a lot of waiting around after a long flight. Are there no buses in between these times? Does Renfe train have an English site? Thanks Judy.

Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 9.06.09 PM.png

Here are all the trains leaving for Pamplona from Madrid Airport and from the Main Bus Station on April 4. Take your pick. Walk out of Terminal 4 and get on a bus at 10:45. Pay the driver. Or, jump on a bus that will take you to the main bus station.

For me, by the time you land and get through customs, the 10:45 bus is pretty handy.
I doubt you'll get on a train to Pamplona any quicker?

View attachment 23947

Here are all the trains leaving for Pamplona from Madrid Airport and from the Main Bus Station on April 4. Take your pick. Walk out of Terminal 4 and get on a bus at 10:45. Pay the driver. Or, jump on a bus that will take you to the main bus station.

For me, by the time you land and get through customs, the 10:45 bus is pretty handy.
I doubt you'll get on a train to Pamplona any quicker?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the info Annie.

Buen Camino Judy.

I just have to add that I have taken restroomless busses in the Balkans f.example - it has to stop, the other option is that one has an accident :eek: and the driver would not want that :p. One just has to be firm when one tells the driver what the situation is and they have always found a place to stop.

Here are all the trains leaving for Pamplona from Madrid Airport and from the Main Bus Station on April 4.

Those are all the Alsa buses from Madrid (both downtown and airport) to Pamplona. They involve a change of buses in Soria.

You have also the PLM buses (http://plmautocares.com) that go direct from Madrid (downtown and airport) to Pamplona. Out of the airport, PLM has just one bus at 12:15 p.m. daily except Sundays but it may be an option to consider.

Does Renfe train have an English site?

Yes, it does: www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You have also the PLM buses (http://plmautocares.com) that go direct from Madrid (downtown and airport) to Pamplona. Out of the airport, PLM has just one bus at 12:15 p.m. daily except Sundays but it may be an option to consider.

I can't open PLM autocares website. This is a problem that has been ongoing for sometime ...

Those are all the Alsa buses from Madrid (both downtown and airport) to Pamplona. They involve a change of buses in Soria.

Yes, it does: www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Yes, you do change, but it is easy.
I've done it many times.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That's curious. It works fine for me. Both their web and the link I provided to it. Did you try with different browsers?

I don't see how a different browser would make a difference; it shouldn't.

I'm of the opinion there is blocking of access because I am not located in Spain or Europe ...

Hi Castilian, I haven't been able to open the site the plmautocares.com site either.

Thanks for your help. Judy.

I don't see how a different browser would make a difference; it shouldn't.

I can't explain you why because I'm not an expert but I was told to use always Internet Explorer when browsing the RENFE web because it didn't work (so) well on other browsers and I recall getting an alert on the web of some Asian Airline inviting me to use other browser because their web might not work properly with the browser I was using... So browsers may make some difference although maybe not as big enough as to be able to browse one web with a browser an unable to browse it at all with another browser.

Hi Castilian, I haven't been able to open the site the plmautocares.com site either.

That would/might support the blocking of access based on geographic location suggested by @whariwharangi but I can't understand why they would make it... Anyway, it seems clear there's people unable to see the PLM web so they miss (most of) that people as future clients.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back