• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trans on the Camino

rinevl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
hello lovelies!
i'm a non-binary transmasc individual who began hormone replacement therapy, aka HRT, a few days ago (yay!!). i've read on Camino websites that it's relatively easy to pick up prescriptions at any Spanish farmacía, but I wanted to verify this. do farmacías fulfill American prescriptions? if they do, do you need to have proof of insurance or anything similiar?

im leaning towards doing the weekly shots since applying a gel everyday feels too high maintenance. if there are any Americans who have experience picking up prescriptions, trans or not, i would love to hear what this was like for you!

might be a long shot, but i would also love to hear from any fellow trans queers that have walked a Camino before. what was your experience?

buen camino xxx

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I wouldn't think you'd need your insurance, but a letter from your doctor, the generic name of the medication and a valid prescription are probably all useful to have. I think you would just have to pay over the counter for the prescription and then claim it back on your insurance.

I'm not sure if Spanish pharmacies fulfil US prescriptions. Could you not stock up before you leave the US?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A fairly wide selection of HRT medications are available ‘over the counter’ in Spanish pharmacies - sufficiently so that there were reports of British users bringing supplies back from Spain as there have been shortages of some specific medications in the UK recently. You might research your precise needs via a well-known search engine.

Clearly I don’t know your specific circumstances - and they’re none of my business - but if you visually appear male I’d suggest a big city pharmacy over a small rural one.

I wouldn't think you'd need your insurance, but a letter from your doctor, the generic name of the medication and a valid prescription are probably all useful to have.
Definitely. Make sure that you have the standard name of the drug on the prescription as the main manufacturer of it and its brand name may be different in the EU. Have the signed paper version with you as well as a photo on your phone in case it is requested.

Actually have two prescriptions for both the gel and the shot in case the shot isn't available at some location. Talk to your doctor about complications about switching between the two.

I suggest contacting a Spanish trans organization to find out about the availability of the drug over there.

I wish the best of luck on both your new adventures.

hello lovelies!
i'm a non-binary transmasc individual who began hormone replacement therapy, aka HRT, a few days ago (yay!!). i've read on Camino websites that it's relatively easy to pick up prescriptions at any Spanish farmacía, but I wanted to verify this. do farmacías fulfill American prescriptions? if they do, do you need to have proof of insurance or anything similiar?

im leaning towards doing the weekly shots since applying a gel everyday feels too high maintenance. if there are any Americans who have experience picking up prescriptions, trans or not, i would love to hear what this was like for you!

might be a long shot, but i would also love to hear from any fellow trans queers that have walked a Camino before. what was your experience?

buen camino xxx
Hi! How exciting!

I posted a thread a few days ago about an unwelcome homophobic experience I had on the Camino at the moment - a very, very, very rare occurrence, nonetheless it happened. The post was closed, I’m not sure why ( even when rather meaningless posts remain- I think the conversation is worth having without being shut down).

I hope you find the walk a very safe - and satisfying- experience.

X

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Definitely. Make sure that you have the standard name of the drug on the prescription as the main manufacturer of it and its brand name may be different in the EU. Have the signed paper version with you as well as a photo on your phone in case it is requested.

As @Rick of Rick and Peg says, best have details. You will be dealing with 2 issues - language and approvals. You might want to check the European Medicines Agency Register to see if the drug you prefer is approved for distribution within the EU here (https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/medicines)

Otherwise you may need to take whatever alternative there may be available.

Hi rinevl - Congratulations on starting the HRT! That must feel great! What a cool time to be going on a camino too!

I am not trans myself, but I have a trans partner. And I think a lot about what the camino might be like for them. I have done four caminos myself and have only met a handful of other queer people while walking (though things might be different now on the Camino Frances). Like anywhere else, people can make assumptions (sometimes based on a lack of knowledge, sometimes on intolerance) that can take a bit of emotional energy as you decide to engage or ignore. But, one of the exceptional things about the camino is how open people are to others, and how often you find yourself having incredible conversations with people of very different backgrounds. A lot of learning happens as we walk and talk with each other. I hope you are able to sort the prescription stuff out and that your days in Spain are full of wonderful encounters!

Let us know how it goes!
ml

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Actually have two prescriptions for both the gel and the shot in case the shot isn't available at some location. Talk to your doctor about complications about switching between the two.

I suggest contacting a Spanish trans organization to find out about the availability of the drug over there.

I wish the best of luck on both your new adventures.
Paragraph 1 is key as Rick says. Many drugs operate under local brands name so some research in advance. I take blood pressure meds and their brand name in Spain is totally different to that in UK!

I am sure you will have a great Camino and I hope to hear how it goes!

Members, please do not de-rail threads. A very specific question was asked by the original poster, regarding medication and drugs. That does not require members to weigh in with tangential posts expressing their particular opinions, arguments, viewpoints.

You may see when your own post has been removed, but you will not see other members posts that have been moderated or removed (or at least you will only know if you happen to have seen them before a moderator took action). Often the reason for closing a thread or deleting a post lies in the posts you have not seen.

We want the forum to be a safe place and we cannot monitor every discussion. Sometimes it is better to close a thread when it wanders into difficult territory.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.