• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

transitional paths

andy.d

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Levante 2009
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2011
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2014
Pilgrims Way Winchester - Canterbury
Camino Ingles (Ferrol) 2015
Cistercian Way (Wales) 2016
I hope it is OK to post this, and I hope this is the right place.

Sometimes you stumble upon something that says so much about the Camino and about life. I found this sentence in Patrick White’s novel Riders in the Chariot:

Happy are the ones who are able to tread transitional paths, scarcely looking to left or right and without distinguishing an end.

Andy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
But what are transitional paths? Are they ones which take you from one place to another? Don't you need to know when you begin them and end?

Or are you happy if you don't notice and don't look to left or right because then there are no difficult choices or decisions to be made?

Am I missing the point?

B
x

Thanks Bridget.

Well, any path is a transitional path because it goes from one place to another, or takes you somewhere else en route to where you started.

But it was one of those sentences that stood out. It seems so full of images about walking and tramping and also about living.

In amongst the extreme pre-Christmas busyness of preparing for all the services, I'm planning a walk on Friday to celebrate my birthday. I want to take the sentence with me then and chew it over as I pound out some kilometres.

Andy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
“If a man (or a woman) wishes to be sure of the road
s/he treads on, s/he must close his (her) eyes
and walk in the dark.”
St John of the Cross

Just read this (on http://acatholicwomansplace.blogspot.com/ - thanks, Claire) and it reminded me of the Transitional paths but not made anything clearer!

Bridget

Hi Bridget,

sorry if I've caused you or anyone else worry - it was a quote that spoke to me deep in the heart.

The one by John of the Cross that you gave is good too, isn't it? John is very complex - he wrote what is probably the most beautiful love poetry in Christian tradition - but the heart of his teaching is the love of God and how God draws us into this love and life (and this often coming out of darkness and despair - which is where walking by faith comes into it).

To keep this vaguely on topic for this Forum, I should say that the Camino Levante goes through Toledo where he was imprisoned and Avila where he spent important years. The Camino de Madrid goes through Segovia where he is buried. Spending nine days through the flat and featureless fields of La Mancha gave me a much deeper appreciation of him.

Perhaps you could pm me if this is a conversation you want to continue,

Andy

This is a wonderful little thread. When I read the first sentence it brought to mind the Eastern Orthodox teachings on Theosis. Blessed are they who seek those transition paths, the paths of change or of personal progression/becoming more attuned to emulating Jesus. To look neither right or left - to walk ahead without fear or self-doubt, but with faith, knowing that as a disciple of Christ, He is our guide. "Without distinguishing an end" - though we strive to emulate Christ He will always be our Savior and it is only His blood that makes us one with the Father.

Wonderful line. Thank you for sharing it. May God's peace be upon all of you this Christmas season.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Michael. I understand the sentence much better now. I was pondering on its meaning. Transition path = changes. Looking neither left or right = walk the path with no fear.

I was working in corporate IT for over 25 years, and I was a 'minor' control freak, charting my path each step, always with a goal in view. With such mindset, it was a little difficult for me understand the sentence when I first read it.

This year, change had come to my door.

And indeed, the sentence is so relevant to what I am now experiencing. It is not easy to walk a new path with no fear. Especially when there is no end in sight.

Andy, thank you for sharing.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.