Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Translate into Galician

Bert45

Past OR future Camino
(2003) Francés, (2014) Francés, (2016) Portugués , (2016) Aragonés, (2018) del Norte to Primitivo,
I found this on pilgrimagetraveler.com: "The Spanish word for thurible, or incense-burner is botafumeiro. In Gallego, the language of the region, it is botafumeiro, just a slight difference in the spelling of the word, yet enough to make it very confusing!" (Read it twice!)
I am confused! What is the word for botafumeiro in galego? (GT says it's the same word.)

Camino Jewellery
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Wendy Werneth

Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
I'm sorry, I don't see the difference.
You're right, there is no difference. The word "botafumeiro" is of galego origin, but from what I can tell it's also used in Spanish. In the Spanish-language version of the Wikipedia entry, for example, it's also called "botafumeiro", and then the literal translation "echador de humo" is given. In English, this would be something like "the thing that emits smoke".

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Past OR future Camino
A few in the past; more in the future!
The word "botafumeiro" is of galego origin, but from what I can tell it's also used in Spanish.
To add to this, the Galego-Portuguese origin of botafumeiro is indicated by the -eiro ending, which is common in those languages, whereas Castilian Spanish uses -ero endings for equivalent words.

For example, the word 'light' (as in, not heavy or slight or agile) is ligero/a in Spanish, ligeiro/a in Portuguese and lixeiro/a in Galego.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Jewellery

Bert45

Past OR future Camino
(2003) Francés, (2014) Francés, (2016) Portugués , (2016) Aragonés, (2018) del Norte to Primitivo,
I'm sorry, I don't see the difference.
Exactly! That's kinda why I posted it. But the pilgrimtraveler entry implies that there is a difference in spelling, it's just that they spelt one of them wrong. However, as Wendy and Felipe have pointed out, pilgrimtraveler is wrong and there is no difference in the spelling of 'botafumeiro' between Galician and Spanish.

Last edited:

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Exactly! That's kinda why I posted it. But the pilgrimtraveler entry implies that there is a difference in spelling, it's just that they spelt one of them wrong. However, as Wendy and Felipe have pointed out, pilgrimtravveler is wrong and there is no difference in the spelling of 'botafumeiro' between Galician and Spanish.
Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant. Best to ask @Elle Bieling what she meant!

Bert45

Past OR future Camino
Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant. Best to ask @Elle Bieling what she meant!
I have sent a comment to pilgrimtraveler.com. She seems quite definite that the Spanish word is botafumeiro, and that there is just a slight difference in spelling between that and the Galician spelling, which she gives as exactly the same word. So either she made a typo in giving the Spanish spelling or in giving the galego (which she also spelt wrong) spelling.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino walkers love this gripping, intriguing, mystery with history novel.

Bert45

Past OR future Camino
In Spanish it’s ‘gallego’, in Galego itself it’s ‘galego’. (As a side note, in Romance languages the first letters of languages are not capitalised.)
I didn't know that 'galego' was 'gallego' in Spanish However, it seemed logical to me to refer to the language 'galego' in galego, rather than Spanish. I know that in some languages (I didn't know it was in Romance languages in general) the first letters of languages are not capitalised. It's tricky. As we're writing in English, it seems safer to refer to Galician and Spanish, rather than galego, gallego, or Galego and español. I blame Elle Bieling – she started it. :)

Past OR future Camino
Leon - Santiago (2015); Ingles (2016); Baiona - Santiago (2018); Pamplona - Burgos (2021? 2022?)
There is a difference in spelling - in Galego there is an accent on the final "O", which is not the case in Spanish.

MariaSP

Past OR future Camino
I have sent a comment to pilgrimtraveler.com. She seems quite definite that the Spanish word is botafumeiro, and that there is just a slight difference in spelling between that and the Galician spelling, which she gives as exactly the same word. So either she made a typo in giving the Spanish spelling or in giving the galego (which she also spelt wrong) spelling.
Well, she is wrong. There is absolutely no spelling difference. Spanish borrowed the word from Galician and didn't make any changes to it. The only difference is that in Spanish, 'botafumeiro' is only used to refer to the big thurible in Santiago. The rest are called 'incensario', which is the Spanish word for it. In Galician, you can use the word 'botafumeiro' to refer to any censer, not just the one in the cathedral in Santiago.

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino walkers love this gripping, intriguing, mystery with history novel.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Well, she is wrong. There is absolutely no spelling difference. Spanish borrowed the word from Galician and didn't make any changes to it. The only difference is that in Spanish, 'botafumeiro' is only used to refer to the big thurible in Santiago. The rest are called 'incensario', which is the Spanish word for it. In Galician, you can use the word 'botafumeiro' to refer to any censer, not just the one in the cathedral in Santiago.
No, there isn't.
Thanks Maria. As you are a Spaniard living in Galicia, I think that you know what you are talking about!

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Past OR future Camino
Too many to count!
Well, I decided to take a weekend off, and I return to a hailstorm of botafumerio vs botafumeiro - yes there is a difference in the spelling, but somehow, I was confused as well and originally used the "botafumerio" spelling, only on the breadcrumb trail at the top of the page, and the url of the page itself. I stand corrected, as I got it wrong.

In my article, I meant "botafumerio" as the Spanish spelling and botafumeiro as the galego (Gallego) spelling. There is indeed a difference, and I failed to get it right in the article, which is now corrected.

To clarify, I am by no means an expert in either language, but I do perform a lot of research before I write. If you google "botafumerio" and put this spelling into the search, you will find a multitude of websites/references with this spelling, including this Spanish translator: https://www.spanishdict.com/translate/botafumerio. You must put the spelling into quotes or google will default you to the search for botafumeiro, the apparent galego word. Because of this, I would lean on the side that this may be the actual and only correct spelling of the word, whether Spanish or galego.

There is a multitude of people who got it wrong, then, if indeed there is no such word in Spanish as "botafumerio" and I was only following what I thought was correct. But it would be very, very nice if anyone actually knew, as a language expert in both languages what the correct words are!

Last edited:

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
@Elle Bieling I'm a big fan of your website, and love the work that you do to help other pilgrims, but botafumerio is not a word in the Spanish language according to the RAE, the final arbiter of the language.

20210920_173807.jpg

Also SpanishDict doesn't show it was the correct spelling in English.

20210920_173431.jpg

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads