• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Translating Miam Miam Dodo...

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
Since the Miam Miam Dodo books are only available in French, and a lot of people love them, I thought I'd try my hand at translating. I've never done this kind of thing before, so I'm no professional, but assuming I finish the translations we'd have another resource for the Camino available to more people than just francophones (hopefully legally, since I'm unaware of anyone else doing a translation and theoretically the publishers/authors might be interested in it).

I'm mostly just doing this for fun, and for an exercise in maintaining my French. And since I've never studied translation, I figured I'll post here for advice sometimes on words or phrases within the context of the Camino, inquiring of the "experts" that reside on this forum since the WordReference forum people might not understand how things are being used in reference to the Camino.

First question is about Santiago de Compostela itself. I'm currently working on the "mode d'emploi" for Miam Miam Dodo as it's the most current (recently purchased) book I have in the series. It says that the historic heart of the city is "bati en solide granit" (sorry, don't know how to do accents on this particular borrowed laptop). I'm wondering if this means that the buildings themselves are constructed of granite or if I should just say that the city is constructed ON solid granite, since I believe that is the geology of the area. I've only done the Camino once and I'm not familiar with the construction of the historic city center.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Since the Miam Miam Dodo books are only available in French, and a lot of people love them, I thought I'd try my hand at translating. I've never done this kind of thing before, so I'm no professional, but assuming I finish the translations we'd have another resource for the Camino available to more people than just francophones (hopefully legally, since I'm unaware of anyone else doing a translation and theoretically the publishers/authors might be interested in it).

I'm mostly just doing this for fun, and for an exercise in maintaining my French. And since I've never studied translation, I figured I'll post here for advice sometimes on words or phrases within the context of the Camino, inquiring of the "experts" that reside on this forum since the WordReference forum people might not understand how things are being used in reference to the Camino.

First question is about Santiago de Compostela itself. I'm currently working on the "mode d'emploi" for Miam Miam Dodo as it's the most current (recently purchased) book I have in the series. It says that the historic heart of the city is "bati en solide granit" (sorry, don't know how to do accents on this particular borrowed laptop). I'm wondering if this means that the buildings themselves are constructed of granite or if I should just say that the city is constructed ON solid granite, since I believe that is the geology of the area. I've only done the Camino once and I'm not familiar with the construction of the historic city center.

Did you already contact the publishers around the legal aspects?

Regarding the translation for the bâtiment: I think you can be sure the granite refers to the building and not to the surface because the geology changes depending on the area.

Last edited:
Did you already contact the publishers around the legal aspects?

Regarding the translation for the bâtiment: I think you can be sure the granite refers to the buidling and not to the surface because the geology changes depending on the area.

No, I haven't contacted the publishers. Like I said, I'm mostly doing this for fun and to maintain my French. If I end up finishing the translation I will contact them. But as I have no idea how long it will take to translate all 271 pages, plus add some things that would specifically pertain to anglophones, I am not ready to propose the idea to them yet.

But thank you for the recommendation for the buildings. I wasn't sure if all or many of them are built of granite.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No, I haven't contacted the publishers. Like I said, I'm mostly doing this for fun and to maintain my French. If I end up finishing the translation I will contact them. But as I have no idea how long it will take to translate all 271 pages, plus add some things that would specifically pertain to anglophones, I am not ready to propose the idea to them yet.

But thank you for the recommendation for the buildings. I wasn't sure if all or many of them are built of granite.

I was just asking because I would feel sad for you if they would not react positively to your translation work due to copyright issues.

In case other readers are seeing this and suddenly wondering if they need to be able to translate French in order to walk the Le Puy route and use Miam Miam Dodo, never fear. The OP is working on the historical and descriptive material at the front of the book, which we usually razor out before actually walking. The lodging listings and schematic maps that are the meat of the book require at most a dozen words of (actually fairly self-evident) French.

In case other readers are seeing this and suddenly wondering if they need to be able to translate French in order to walk the Le Puy route and use Miam Miam Dodo, never fear. The OP is working on the historical and descriptive material at the front of the book, which we usually razor out before actually walking. The lodging listings and schematic maps that are the meat of the book require at most a dozen words of (actually fairly self-evident) French.
Correct. I did find it amusing, however, to read the little tidbits that appeared throughout the book when I walked the Le Puy route. Especially one that instructed you to sit by the side of the road and chant the name of one of the hostels a certain number of times because it's a number special to Buddhism, and don't react when police come because you'll just be floating higher in the air. I got a laugh out of that one. I'll have to look it up to see exactly what it says, and I shared it with my students when I was teaching French. I thought it was funny, even if they didn't get it (I explained it in English as well, but they still didn't understand the humor).

This copy, however, is not one of the books that has maps and lodging, etc. in it. It's the one for planning that gives details to consider when deciding the route, the time of year, the particular day, etc. I thought it would be interesting because it gives another perspective, and is possibly more in depth than other guides because the others I've seen mainly deal with Spain. I don't know of any in particular that discuss different routes in France or other countries.

Sabine, don't worry about me being disappointed. I would feel great having accomplished the feat of translating an entire book, even if they don't want to publish it. It's an interesting challenge.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Different kind of feedback:

A couple of sections talk a bit about other books for the Camino that are not Miam Miam Dodo guides. Since these are in French and not really relevant for most anglophones, I thought I would talk about books in English. I know about the John Brierley guide. What others have you found very useful, for Americans/Canadians, Brits and other English-speaking Europeans, and Australians/New Zealanders? There's a section for guidebooks and one for books about the Camino that aren't guidebooks. In that regard, I'm currently reading I'm Off Then by Hape Kerkeling and I listened to Shirley Maclean's book (audio edition). What other books do you think I should list of people's accounts or otherwise?

Note: The guidebooks they list in the front are Miam Miam Dodo, an account by a couple of musicians with a donkey, and secret stories/histories of the Camino. They have a chapter on various other guides, like the topographic ones from the FFRP, Rando-editions guides, Lepere guides, and the Rother guides. Then there's a section at the end that has guides that aren't step-by-step, such as a bilingual edition of the 5th tome from the Liber Sancti Jacobi, various pilgrim accounts, preparation and general guides, photo books, etc.

Last edited:

A couple of sections talk a bit about other books for the Camino that are not Miam Miam Dodo guides. Since these are in French and not really relevant for most anglophones, I thought I would talk about books in English. I know about the John Brierley guide. What others have you found very useful, for Americans/Canadians, Brits and other English-speaking Europeans, and Australians/New Zealanders? There's a section for guidebooks and one for books about the Camino that aren't guidebooks. In that regard, I'm currently reading I'm Off Then by Hape Kerkeling and I listened to Shirley Maclean's book (audio edition). What other books do you think I should list of people's accounts or otherwise?

Note: The guidebooks they list in the front are Miam Miam Dodo, an account by a couple of musicians with a donkey, and secret stories/histories of the Camino. They have a chapter on various other guides, like the topographic ones from the FFRP, Rando-editions guides, Lepere guides, and the Rother guides. Then there's a section at the end that has guides that aren't step-by-step, such as a bilingual edition of the 5th tome from the Liber Sancti Jacobi, various pilgrim accounts, preparation and general guides, photo books, etc.

Like I said on another thread regarding books/ guides. I don't care much myself for the contemporary personal stories about the Camino. They might be interesting for the inner circle of the writer but that is just that.

Brierley is again IMHO alot of spiritual gibberish and the plans are also way off...And Shirley Maclaine...ah don't get me started...
Rother and the other German ones are so detailed that thet become a bit ridiculous :D

I do like the simple small Michelin booklet with the detailed stages of the Frances.
And of course the brilliant guides from the English Confraternity by the wonderful @JohnnieWalker.

And not forgetting the Eroski en Gronze websites.

Last edited:
And Shirley Maclaine...ah don't get me started...
I know. It started off okay, but then got very... bizarre... I think I would still list the Brierley guide, though, just because so many people use it. I could put it in the section for guidebooks that describes the book a bit so people know what to expect. I haven't seen the guides from the English Confraternity yet, but I might just need to check those out and include them.

I would still like to include personal accounts because a lot of people like to read travel writing and understand that it's not the same way for everyone. They can be entertaining and somewhat informative if nothing else.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I know. It started off okay, but then got very... bizarre... I think I would still list the Brierley guide, though, just because so many people use it. I could put it in the section for guidebooks that describes the book a bit so people know what to expect. I haven't seen the guides from the English Confraternity yet, but I might just need to check those out and include them.

I would still like to include personal accounts because a lot of people like to read travel writing and understand that it's not the same way for everyone. They can be entertaining and somewhat informative if nothing else.

I like the Brierley guides so to know where NOT to stop...but like the French say " des goûts et des couleurs ".;)

Hi there:
Wow! That is quite an undertaking.
As a former freelance translator (from Spanish, not French, so can't help you there) just a word of advice. Translate the ideas to convey the same meaning as the original, and not the words, if that makes any sense. If you just focus on each word it is going to come out sounding like a machine translation. So ask yourself, "Does this sentence make sense in English"? A simple example would be, a word for word translation from Spanish might be "I want that you go to the store". Would we say that in English? No...we would say "I want you to go to the store."
Good luck.
Charlotte

The English Confraternity Guides are so classic, they look like some secret code when you first open them. I used ones for the Norte and Primitivo that had not a single map or illustration anywhere. I was a bit worried at first, but then I grew to love them, both for their lightness and the fact that other people look at you like you are crazy mad when you open one. I have my Alison Raju one ready right now for the VDLP - it's very old but I just jot updates in it off Gronze.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Brierley is again IMHO alot of spiritual gibberish and the plans are also way off...And Shirley Maclaine...ah don't get me started...
Rother and the other German ones are so detailed that thet become a bit ridiculous :D

I do like the simple small Michelin booklet with the detailed stages of the Frances.

Hear, hear. I thought I was the only one who liked the little Michelin guide. Compact with just the information that I wanted - map, distances, elevations and services. Brilliant.

Hear, hear. I thought I was the only one who liked the little Michelin guide. Compact with just the information that I wanted - map, distances, elevations and services. Brilliant.

I gave my most recent one to another pilgrim when I stopped this year...The joy of recycling...;)
No seriously , a good little book even if it does not list all the accomodation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

"Of" solid granite, if you're translating

I liked Jean-Christophe Rufin's account of his del Norte pilgrimmage, this is now available translated into English. His description of the various vanities of modern pilgrims was hilarious and deadly accurate.

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back