• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Translation apps

Lachance

Me llamo Deb
Time of past OR future Camino
Part Francese 2016
I've seen Eng/Spanish translation apps recommended in other threads. But not only is the search function here quite laborious and frustrating, it inevitably distracts you into other things. Of course, grateful it exists, but...

Anyway, looking for recommendations for apps which are useful for actual real time conversation. The thread title might help others in future too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used Google Translate last year and it was perfectly adequate. I was a hospitalero and my fellow hospitalero was Spanish who knew maximum 5 words in English. I know some Spanish and used Google Translate when I got stuck. The one I have translates both voice and written and in very many languages and is very user friendly.

I've seen Eng/Spanish translation apps recommended in other threads. But not only is the search function here quite laborious and frustrating, it inevitably distracts you into other things. Of course, grateful it exists, but...

Anyway, looking for recommendations for apps which are useful for actual real time conversation. The thread title might help others in future too.
I bought iTranslate Voice and it's magic. I speak into my phone, it displays the typed phrase in English, then (almost immediately) speaks it back in Spanish and displays the typed Spanish. Absolutely magic. I can save favourite phrases. Can't remember the price but I think it was pretty expensive.

Another one for translating signs or a few printed words at a time - live and real time is Wordlens. Check it out it's phenomenal. Just watch a demo, you won't believe it's possible. I've demo'd it to friends and they just laugh as though they're watching some advanced alien technology.

BUT, on the Camino Frances, don't locals speak Basque? These apps work with Spanish, Basque isn't listed as an option. Anyway, I've got English/Spanish/English, hope it works for me.

Have fun and Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Mike. Most of the Basques can understand and speak Castilian Spanish, even if they choose not to do so.
The majority will react to Spanish if spoken by a non-resident
Many of them meet English speakers daily.

Agreed! I use Google Translate App now & find it easy to use. If sentence too long for me to repeat, I break it down, listen to the Spanish then speak my version of into the app & it tells me what I said in English. This has sometimes been an object of great amusement (for me) too as my Aussie twang tries to repeat the Spanish phrases.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe a naïve question, but for the iTranlate app, will it work with an Android phone? I know my iMac desktop comp doesn't like any devices near it that don't start with 'i'. Thanks.

I also like Jibbigo good for offline, google translate its great, it does amazing things, you can point like a camera to a word and translates for you, you can speak to it and translates for you :)

zzotte

Maybe a naïve question, but for the iTranlate app, will it work with an Android phone? I know my iMac desktop comp doesn't like any devices near it that don't start with 'i'. Thanks.
Have a look at The iTranslate Voice website. http://itranslatevoice.com
It's available on Googleplay as well as Apple App store so that must mean there's an Android version (I'm an Apple guy, know nothing of Android world.) - Mike

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just added Google Translate to iphone home screen - didn't download app. iTranslate looks like a great app also, I may buy this one. Great suggestions. Does the offline feature mean it will not require a internet connection?
Janice

I just added Google Translate to iphone home screen - didn't download app. iTranslate looks like a great app also, I may buy this one. Great suggestions. Does the offline feature mean it will not require a internet connection?
Janice
I haven't used it yet 'out in the field' without a connection. I'd check FAQ on their website. My guess is it would work without an internet connection but not as a full-featured version.

I often use Google to search the forum by adding site:caminodesantiago.me to the search terms for Google.
Great tip! I often get forum results up in a general Google search on camino matters, but never thought of doing a direct Google search on the site. Duh.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi
Janice

The app works without connection on iPhone In that it retains the data you have already put in when you have Internet. It also has the camera option.

Hi

The app works without connection on iPhone In that it retains the data you have already put in when you have Internet. It also has the camera option.
Thanks Bernie - I went to iTranslate website and they mention "offline voice" feature, just wasn't clear about offline function. It seems you save phrases, words and then can access without Internet connection. Exactly what I need. Thanks for tip.
Janice

I used the Google Translate app - it works offline (you have to download the languages you want) except for the voice function which only works when connected to the internet. It was ok - Google Translate is not perfect by any means, so I wouldn't rely on it for writing some important communication without checking another source. Some of the "translations" it comes up with can be hilarious because it's very literal, it doesn't provide any alternatives for different contexts, and it doesn't take into account where particular phrases might be expected for politeness rather than just the Spanish words for a phrase we might use in English. One of the first times I used it was when I saw "Lomo" on a menu and didn't know what it was. It's pork loin, for anyone who doesn't know - Google gave me "back" as the translation - just that. Which was somewhat less than helpful if technically correct, although the owner of the bar where I was checking this also looked up a translation app on his phone (I don't know which one) and it told him it was some kind of sausage! For basic words and phrases Google was mostly fine though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Be careful about any translation app! I received a response regarding my inquiry about a reservation with a hotel in Santiago. I put this phrase into Google Translate to check my own translation: "De momento hay disponibilidad para la fecha solicitada." Google told me there was NO availability, when in fact the hotel was telling me that "at the moment, there IS availability for the dates I had inquired about." Only after checking with other online services did I confirm that I was correct and Google was wrong.

Be careful about any translation app! I received a response regarding my inquiry about a reservation with a hotel in Santiago. I put this phrase into Google Translate to check my own translation: "De momento hay disponibilidad para la fecha solicitada." Google told me there was NO availability, when in fact the hotel was telling me that "at the moment, there IS availability for the dates I had inquired about." Only after checking with other online services did I confirm that I was correct and Google was wrong.
Out of interest, I tested this and confirmed what you have said. It is another example of a weakness I have noticed before with Google translate: the longer the passage, the less accurate the translation. If you just say 'de momento hay disponibilidad', it is translated correctly. When you add 'para la fecha solicitada', things go haywire. In fact, Google mistranslates the latter phrase as 'for dates' when it should be 'for the date requested'.

Out of interest, I tested this and confirmed what you have said. It is another example of a weakness I have noticed before with Google translate: the longer the passage, the less accurate the translation. If you just say 'de momento hay disponibilidad', it is translated correctly. When you add 'para la fecha solicitada', things go haywire. In fact, Google mistranslates the latter phrase as 'for dates' when it should be 'for the date requested'.
This is interesting. What a curious result. Thanks for checking this out.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.