• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Translation of Spanish guide to Baztan

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, everyone,

The guide I've found to the Camino Baztan is in Spanish, and I've translated it into English for a forum member who is going to walk in a couple of months from Bayonne to Pamplona and then continue on the Frances.

This web page has links to descriptions of each of the stages and is fairly self-explanatory
http://www.consorciobertiz.org/consorci ... tiago.html

I've translated the narrative into English (occasionally leaving out descriptions of plants and other un-essential material), and I am happy to send it to anyone who PMs me with an email address.

I would suggest that if you plan to use this "guide", you should pull up the Spanish version because it's heavily annotated with photographs that illlustrate key junctions, etc, and have yellow arrows superimposed on them. I think it will be easy to follow along with my text and you should be able to see which pictures relate to which junctures, turn-offs, etc.

I hope to walk this way some day, especially now that I've read about how beautiful it is, so feedback would be extremely welcome and I will make that available to others, too. Who knows, maybe this is the start of another online CSJ guide.

My impression is, based on what I've read in this guide, that it is very well marked with arrows.

Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just to say that I've been in touch with someone who walked this route last spring and it looks like the albergue situation is tremendously improved. It was a comfortable 5 day walk, Bayonne to Pamplona.

I think the 6 day stages that people have talked about in other posts date from a point in time at which there fewer accommodations. Some updated accommodation information in case you're tempted to start in France, avoid the Pyrenees crossing, but enjoy some of the beauty of Basque valleys.

In Ustaritz: Hotel Restaurante El Pequeno Albergue --33 559 304 515

In Larressore there is a couple Marie Helene and Guy (last name Casse) who have an informal pilgrim shelter; they walked twice to Santiago and they open their homes to peregrinos, kind of like Rebekah and Paddy in Moratinos, I think. It's a donativo and they share dinner and breakfast with the pilgrims. But the advice is to call ahead from Bayonne to let them know you are coming. Their house is a little off the camino and they pick you up in their car 00 33 633 972 846

Souraide: Village de Vacances "Le Renouveau" -- No reservations necessary but you must call before mid-day: 00 33 559 938 475 (only admits pilgrims with credential)

Urdazubi/Urdax: Albergue in the Monastery. Recently renovated (as of April 2011). 20 beds in 4 rooms, well stocked kitchen. 4 euros
948 453 292

Amaiur: Herriko Etxea (La Posada) (4 euros) 948 453 292

Arizkun, Casa Rural Gontxea 948 453 433: Casa rural Gontxea (double room 42 euros)

Elizondo: Albergue privado Kortarixar: 948 581 820 Calle Santiago, (12 euoros)

Lekarotz: 948 581 804 Albergue juvenil (youth hostel) 24 euros (bed, breakfast, dinner)

Berroeta: Albergue -- located in the building near the handball wall, on the second floor. 4 euros. NB: There are no services in this town, bring food to use the fully equipped kitchen.

Olague: Albergue 948 307 024 (4 euros). Key available at the house at No. 80 on the main street that crosses the town.

POSSIBLE STAGES ON THE CAMINO DE BAZTAN

FIVE DAYS
Bayonne - Larresore (19 km totally flat)
Larressore - Urdax (approximately 20 km)
Urdax - Berroeta (approximately 30 km)
Berroeta-Olague (21 km)
Olague - Arre/Pamplona (about 22 into Pamplona)

hi dear pilgrims...
after I finished my Camino from Hamburg to Santiago in September 2011, I settled in St-Jean-de-Luz/ France. In October I walked the Baztán-Route. It's about 120km from Bayonne to Pamplona, well marked with the yellow arrow/ shell and easy to do within 5 days. I made the translation to english of an InfoSheet from the Association Amis de St.Jacques in the Basque Country, which I post here (PDF) Here you find all Information you need, up to date! (Hostels, Shops, Bars...)

I also will post the Information-Link of the ForeignOffice of the Basque Country who made a little Guide/ Leaflet:

http://tourism.euskadi.net/contenidos/i ... INGLES.pdf

For further Information don't hesitate to contact me.

Hope this will help you to walk this extremely beautiful Route!!!

Ultreia

Cx

Attachments

• Infosheet-Baztan Way .pdf
    165 KB · Views: 169
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Catharina,
Good to hear that you enjoyed the route and that it's well marked. I didn't remember that we can post attachments on the forum. So, I am going to try to figure out how to attach the translation I did of the walking directions, and get them up soon.

By the way, did you see many others walking this route? Were they mainly Spanish (as I have been told?)

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

to be honest: I did not see any other pilgrim walking this route in October...sometimes I have been very touched, finding myself all alone in these Mountains...they look so huge - and me, I'm so small...

If the weather allows, I will now walk it again with two of my pilgrim friends up here the last week in February. And once more with three other friends of mine from Hamburg. There we will start around Easter..
So maybe I can tell you more, then...

When do you want to walk?

Bis
Cx
(to post attachment, you don't submit directly, but go a little further down the page... there you find "Otions" (which is opened) and also "Upload attachments"...so just klick on that one and you will find, what you need:)

Note that on July 31, 2012, I deleted the attachment, which was placed here and was my first attempt at a translation of the Baztan guide.

Because I have received a LOT of really helpful comments for additions and revisions, I will post a new version at the end of the current thread.

Buen caminio, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello all: I live in Navarra and I think ther are some slightly differences in this route. First of all the route dont pass by Larressore, I have done this route some years ago, In Ustaritz you must turn to the right and take the way to Souraide. It is well indicated. When I did it there were two indications, I dont remember well if on the back of a traffic signal, one to St Jean de Pied de Port, straight, and the other turning to the right "Voie du Baztan". Remember that this signals usualy are posted on the back of traffic signals, and they are small. In France they dont use "yellow arrows" as in Spain, so you must take attencion to this "diminute" signals, botton in blue and a yellow shell. With regard to the weather winter is not a good season to do it. The two paths by the mountais, Otsondo and specialy Belate could be snowed, but the big problem in Belate, including winter is the fog. But in two paths there are alternative roads to go but you must pay special attention to cars.
This is a very beauty route, I love it and if I have time enough i will do it again.
Now I have no time but I will insert a a pair of links.
Regards from Spain.

Sorry. In my post I wrote "but the big problem in Belate, including winter is the fog". It is a mistake I tried to say " including summer"
Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, navarro,

It's great to have access to someone who actually lives in the region. I have never walked this route, but I translated the guide for a friend who wanted to walk, and then I decided to share it with the forum. When I have a bit more time, I will incorporate your comments into that word document, especially your observations about potential fog/snow problems in Otsondo and Belate. So, if you have more first hand information and advice for pilgrims, send it on!

You're right that Larressorre is not on the Camino, and that the markings will take you to Souraide. But the option of a detour is mentioned because apparently Marie Helene Arriol and Guy Casse are two pilgrims who live in Larressorre and have opened their home to pilgrims. But since they are off the Camino, people have to call and they will come pick you up,and then drop you off the next morning. It looks to me like this is an option that's suggested because of the wonderful hospitality given in Larressorre, though there is the option of staying in Souraide as well. I hope the guide makes that clear.

The guide I translated broke the camino into 6 stages. I incorporated references from other sources, like this blog,to suggest a 5 day version: http://jigbperegrinocaminahacia.blogspo ... a-del.html

Thanks for your comments. And, Bolitx's pictures are beautiful! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi laurie: I think the most detailed guide is in Rutasnavarra http://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... -U4ulP4cSA
Once you have opened the page clic in "Las últimas rutas... «1071 activas»Todas las rutas aquí." Fill the form on left. TIPOS DE RUTAS choose CS Camino de Santiago ZONA DE LA RUTA choose MONTAÑA NOROESTE for first five etapes, There are six routes but the sixth is a variant of the fifth and choose CCUENCA DE PAMPLONA for the last etape. If you click "ver el contenido de la ruta" and minimice the screen you can see important details as a cart, an altitude profil chart etc.

I have just received a wonderful gift from an Irish pilgrim who walked the Baztan Camino recently using the guide. He sent me detailed comments inserted into the text of the word document, in red, so that all I had to do was change the color of the print and --voila -- a much improved and actually tested guide to the Baztan appeared.

I have attached the document to this posting, and I also deleted the earlier version (originally posted in an earlier comment on this thread), because the guide has now been vastly improved.

I thought I'd also add a few of his comments about this Camino.

-- solitary with no other peregrinos seen
-- arrows are plentiful
--accommodation is very good
-- in terms of difficulty, harder than the Cadiz-Sevilla part of the Vdlp, similar to the Tunnel route (but shorter).

So, I'm always happy to get more feedback so that I can keep the document as up to date as possible, and maybe I'll be able to get there myself one of these days!

Buen camino, Laurie

Attachments

• Camino Baztan July 2012.doc
    104 KB · Views: 148
A selection of Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is a government guide, available at no charge on the internet to promote tourism -- Consorcio Turístico de Bertiz is the owner. I doubt that there are copyright issues for its non-commercial use. It is probably public domain.

falcon269 said:
It is a government guide, available at no charge on the internet to promote tourism -- Consorcio Turístico de Bertiz is the owner. I doubt that there are copyright issues for its non-commercial use. It is probably public domain.

Better safe than sorry, best to ask first. There is a copyright notice on their website, SY

Hi Laurie,

to be honest: I did not see any other pilgrim walking this route in October...sometimes I have been very touched, finding myself all alone in these Mountains...they look so huge - and me, I'm so small...

If the weather allows, I will now walk it again with two of my pilgrim friends up here the last week in February. And once more with three other friends of mine from Hamburg. There we will start around Easter..

Bis
Cx
(to post attachment, you don't submit directly, but go a little further down the page... there you find "Otions" (which is opened) and also "Upload attachments"...so just klick on that one and you will find, what you need:)

Thank You for the information. I am going to walk the Baztan Way this September. Sept 11th most likely. I walked from St. Jean in 2013, so figured the Baztan would be a nice alternative. Going solo, so should be an experience.
Again ' Thank You for your post.
Cliff

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Laurie,

Bis
Cx
Do you think you could ride this route on a MTn bike?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back