• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Translation please

coober

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009,
VdlP 2014
Del Norte 50% 2017
Primitivo 2017
hello,

could some kind soul tell me the meaning of "Ultreia" as seen at the end of some posts on this forum.

thanks
David

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Check out this YouTube link:
It has both a translation and a lovely little video set to a recording of the old French chanson

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Many years ago I read somewhere (it may have been in Shirley MacLaine's book) that it meant something like "Go forward with courage". Very fitting I think, if in fact it is true and I would like to think it is, as it is something that I have always remembered and have tried to live by.

I've heard it translated as "Go Beyond!" and that's what I choose. It seems the perfect greeting for a pilgrim.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've also seen it spelt Ultreya. Is this the Spanish spelling (accepting ultrreia to be 'street Latin', as per SYates'post above)?

I have also seen this spelling Ultreïa I guess it depends on how the, mostly spoken Street Latin was transcribed over the ages and in the different language groups. Lets not forget that proper, unified spelling is a pretty recent invention ;-) SY

I've heard it translated as "Go Beyond!" and that's what I choose. It seems the perfect greeting for a pilgrim.
How incredibly Buddhist.
The mantra from the Heart Sutra is translated by the Dalai Lama as: "Go, go, go beyond, go thoroughly beyond, and establish yourself in enlightenment"
There are differences in religions--that's not to be denied or glossed over into some kind of fuzzy new age unity--but there are also uncanny parallels sometimes.
And how perfect a greeting...and wish for each other:
Ultreia!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Check out this YouTube link:
It has both a translation and a lovely little video set to a recording of the old French chanson
We were introduced to the song by Dan (the creator of the YouTube video and the voice in the video) during a magical evening spent at the tiny albergue built into the ruins of the Convento de San Antón in early September, 2013. That evening remains one of our most endearing memories of the Camino. Thanks for reposting the link and allowing me to once again re-live that moment.

Hello,

It's generally accepted that ultreia derives from Latin ultra "beyond, further".
In medieval French oultre, modern French outre, used for instance in outre-mer "overseas".

a lovely little video set to a recording of the old French chanson

As explained (in French) by Jean-Claude Bénazet, songwriter and composer, in this video, the lines have been written by himself in 1989, while the refrain is to be found in Dum Pater Familias from Codex Calextinus.

Yes, NavyBlue, you're right about the song, but back in the 60s/70s my parents were involved with the Cursillo movement, and one of their things was called the Ultreya. That's the earliest use of the word I know of. I'd really like an original source for it as being medieval. Anyone got one?

Edit: Hmm, so it's in the Codex Calextinus, then? Interesting.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, NavyBlue, you're right about the song, but back in the 60s/70s my parents were involved with the Cursillo movement, and one of their things was called the Ultreya. That's the earliest use of the word I know of. I'd really like an original source for it as being medieval. Anyone got one?

Edit: Hmm, so it's in the Codex Calextinus, then? Interesting.

Yes, it is part of the refrain/chorus (not sure about the proper terminology) of the Dum Pater Familias, see https://la.wikisource.org/wiki/Dum_pater_familias and a bit of background info here: https://www.savarese.org/music/DumPaterFamilias.html

Buen Camino, SY

I also heard the interpretation of G(r)ot standing for Great ;-) some transcriptions of the hymn I have seen read 'grot Santiago' which would be closer to great than to good. Oh the joy of medieval linguistics ;-) SY

Very true @Kathar1na
Also I do have an awful lot of dead tree resources regarding the Camino and related topics piled up around me ;-) SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks everyone for the answers.

onwards and upwards
David

hello,

could some kind soul tell me the meaning of "Ultreia" as seen at the end of some posts on this forum.

thanks
David
Hola David,

"Ultreya" also has a particular significance for Christians, which is linked closely to Santiago de Compostela. The Cursillo movement, founded I believe in that city, is a three-day weekend time of refreshment and encouragement. It's known as Cursillo in the Catholic and Anglican denominations, and in some other denominations as the Emmaus Walk. The "Ultreya" is the final farewell session generally early morning before the new cursillistas leave for home. They enter the session room to be surprised, greeted, and welcomed by numbers of earlier cursillistas who have travelled there, some from far afield, to support and encourage them.

"Onward and upward" is particularly apt for such a session.

And to close:

De colores, David.

Bogong

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back