• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Translation please?

Kasee

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: '22, '23, '24
Portugues: 23
Invierno: 24
We are walking to Finisterre/Fisterra and saw this in a couple of places on the way out of Santiago. Google translate is baffled. Does anyone know what it says?

Attachments

• 36A2DD30-69E9-4044-940C-846798EC48C0.jpeg
    36A2DD30-69E9-4044-940C-846798EC48C0.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 7,638
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't know ... but your post reminded me of this roadsign before the descent from Cruz. Obviously the authorities used Google translate.View attachment 134485
I started Google translate with the first two words in black "pendientes fuertes" and got: "strong earrings"! the whole translation came out much closer to what the sign means though (i think). I use WhatsApp and Google translate to keep in touch with some Spanish friends I met on my Camino No wonder I get some strange comments!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I started Google translate with the first two words in black "pendientes fuertes" and got: "strong earrings"! the whole translation came out much closer to what the sign means though (i think). I use WhatsApp and Google translate to keep in touch with some Spanish friends I met on my Camino No wonder I get some strange comments!
That's interesting. Perhaps I'm making an unfair assumption. The road sign translation is bizarre though. And fun.

I don't know ... but your post reminded me of this roadsign before the descent from Cruz. Obviously the authorities used Google translate.

View attachment 134485

My translation to American "sign language" is:

Attention cyclists
Steep slopes NEXT 15 km [not IN]
Proceed with caution

PENDIENTE here means slope but another meaning is pending. This meaning is associated with debt and in English the term would be OUTSTANDING debt. FUERTE means strong and in association with a slope takes on the meaning of steep.

Edited the above statement based on a new definition I saw in the link that @SabineP posted below.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The translation given by Bradypuss isn't quite right I think, but I can't do better myself - - though the point that it's Gallego is spot on.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Context, context, context. You need to know more than words if you want to translate well. Moito Olliño is a mascot or a figure from children books or something like that.

Moito Olliño is the mascot for a safe road to school for children. The original translation is correct; it is being used as a name.

caminoescolarColecaminos.jpg

The Colecamiños school route project, with the mascot Moito Olliño, is a pilot project in Compostela that aims to promote a change in the mobility patterns of children in our city. The "school routes" are not exclusively educational projects, their goal is to enable children to move safely and independently through the streets and to reclaim the use and enjoyment of public space. Therefore, these projects directly affect the city as a whole and affect all areas of local or municipal governance that have competencies in the design, habitability and safety of public space.

http://policialocal.santiagodecompostela.gal/info.php?sec=33&idioma=es

The aim of the project is also to reduce traffic of parents bringing their children to the school's front door, and to reduce the current over-protection of children.

Hope everyone sleeps well tonight.

I don't know ... but your post reminded me of this roadsign before the descent from Cruz. Obviously the authorities used Google translate.

View attachment 134485
Hola, having cycled from Rabanal to Ponferrada I think I can translate this one: proceed with caution next 15 km. Just for info from Cruz de Fero the road drops over 1000 metres in those 15km. Cheers

According to the campaign blurb, Moito Olliño, this friendly one-eyed yellow creature with a perhaps "all seeing" baseball cap is a product "of the imagination of Martin in 5th grade at the Pius XII school and of the creativity of graphic designer Maria Pereiro".

The mascot reminds me of these Minions from a 2015 US movie, they are also yellow, pill shaped and one of them has one eye only. Where are the native Galician speakers like @MariaSP and @Pelegrin when they are needed? 😉 I don't know what a name like "Moito Olliño" sounds like to Galician ears. In any case, the usual Galician word for eye appears to be ollo in singular form and ollos in plural form; olliño appears to be the diminutive singular form.

Last edited:
Actually that is also an accurate translation, just goes to show how important context is.
Very true. And it can be quite hard to translate idiomatic words and phrases too. I'm always amazed at how fluent many non-native speakers can become in English which is a bizarre confection stolen from everywhere over the centuries. My favourite example is the slightly risque British-English word "bollocks". Primarily a synonym for 'testicles' but also used as a strong negative to show disagreement: "You are talking bollocks!" is not a compliment! So why is the phrase "the dog's bollocks" one of the greatest superlatives in the English language? Hats off to anyone who manages to master nonsense like that! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
According to the campaign blurb, Moito Olliño, this friendly one-eyed yellow creature with a perhaps "all seeing" baseball cap is a product "of the imagination of Martin in 5th grade at the Pius XII school and of the creativity of graphic designer Maria Pereiro".

The mascot reminds me of these Minions from a 2015 US movie, they are also yellow, pill shaped and one of them has one eye only. Where are the native Galician speakers like @MariaSP and @Pelegrin when they are needed? 😉 I don't know what a name like "Moito Olliño" sounds like to Galician ears. In any case, the usual Galician word for eye appears to be ollo in singular form and ollos in plural form; olliño appears to be the diminutive singular form.

In Spanish:
¡Ojo al tren! Watch out for the trains.

¡Mucho ojo! means be very careful!

To my ears, the diminutive mucho ojito indicates be very careful NOW. This is similar to ahora (now) and ahorita (now at this very moment).
As in 'now, but we'll first have coffee' versus 'now and no coffee until we're done'.

It is of course a nice play with words too, because little children have little eyes. I quite enjoy how two words can have a lot of different meanings, that all apply at the same time. A name, a warning and a reference. But that is me, I like poetry and translations too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I think that "moito olliño" is not very used. It is much more used the Spanish "mucho ojito". Maybe because the combination of sounds "ll" and "ñ" in the same word is not easy to pronounce. What I say for caution in Galician is "Coidado/Coidadiño con".

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are walking to Finisterre/Fisterra and saw this in a couple of places on the way out of Santiago. Google translate is baffled. Does anyone know what it says?
Cole means Colegio in slang
Colegio is school
Correcaminos is roadrunner
So it is referred to school boys as a Word game (juego de palabras)
Cruza con moito olliño is Galician language and it means becareful to cross
(cross with a lot of eye literally)
olliño is ollo (eye) diminutive in Galician language

Correcaminos is roadrunner
So it [Colecaminõs] is referred to school boys as a Word game (juego de palabras)
Very cute!

We all, and of course the translation machines, missed this play on words and this context. Correcaminos y el Coyote - Road Runner and Wily E. Coyote. And Colecaminos evokes associations to both the way to school and to the schoolkids themselves. ☺️

Last edited:
Google translate 🤦🏽‍♀️😂😂😂😂

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It is galician and basically means 'cross with care' Not sure what colecaminos! means but the rest literal translation is cross with many little eyes as best I can make out

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just for the record....my wife has always referred to earrings as 'aretes'.

Moito Olliño is the mascot for a safe road to school for children. The original translation is correct; it is being used as a name.

The Colecamiños school route project, with the mascot Moito Olliño, is a pilot project in Compostela that aims to promote a change in the mobility patterns of children in our city. The "school routes" are not exclusively educational projects, their goal is to enable children to move safely and independently through the streets and to reclaim the use and enjoyment of public space. Therefore, these projects directly affect the city as a whole and affect all areas of local or municipal governance that have competencies in the design, habitability and safety of public space.

http://policialocal.santiagodecompostela.gal/info.php?sec=33&idioma=es

The aim of the project is also to reduce traffic of parents bringing their children to the school's front door, and to reduce the current over-protection of children.

Hope everyone sleeps well tonight.
This is wonderful! Thanks!

Not sure what colecaminos!
As explained in the post below it means "school ways" or "school routes."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola, having cycled from Rabanal to Ponferrada I think I can translate this one: proceed with caution next 15 km. Just for info from Cruz de Fero the road drops over 1000 metres in those 15km. Cheers
And the advice is well-founded. In 2017 despite cautionary stops to cool the rim brakes on our laden tandem, we managed a spectacular and loud sidewall blow out on the final bend entering El Acebo, startling those taking refreshments in the adjacent bar!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first word is 'colecamiños', kind of 'school paths'. Some towns have a programme in place to encourage kids to walk to school by themselves. As part of this, they've created several routes/paths to each school for kids to follow. Along these routes there are either people making sure kids cross streets safely or signs, like this one, to remind kids to be careful when crossing.

To do something 'con ollo' (or 'con olliño') in Galician means to do it carefully.

The first word is 'colecamiños', kind of 'school paths'. Some towns have a programme in place to encourage kids to walk to school by themselves. As part of this, they've created several routes/paths to each school for kids to follow. Along these routes there are either people making sure kids cross streets safely or signs, like this one, to remind kids to be careful when crossing.

To do something 'con ollo' (or 'con olliño') in Galician means to do it carefully.
Eu nunca digo "olliño". Non soa ben para min. Digo máis ben "ollo pequeno". Pero claro, pode ser que outros o digan.
I never say "olliño", it doesn't sound well to me. I rather say "ollo pequeno" (small eye). But of course, maybe other people say it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Eu nunca digo "olliño". Non soa ben para min. Digo máis ben "ollo pequeno". Pero claro, pode ser que outros o digan.
I never say "olliño", it doesn't sound well to me. I rather say "ollo pequeno" (small eye). But of course, maybe other people say it.
'Olliño' e 'ollo pequeno' poucas veces son sinónimos. Non lle podes dicir a alguén 'ollo pequeno co que fas' ou 'non me mires con eses ollos pequenos'.

'Olliño' and 'ollo pequeno' are rarely synonyms. You can't tell someone 'small eye what you do' or 'don't look at me with those small eyes'.

I just want to say how much I enjoy reading the comments about what native speakers see / hear / understand. All this "undercurrent" is impossible to translate or to convey to non-native speakers in particular when they are not very familiar with context and background ... and not only when it's about idioms and similar fixed expressions. Thanks.

'Olliño' e 'ollo pequeno' poucas veces son sinónimos. Non lle podes dicir a alguén 'ollo pequeno co que fas' ou 'non me mires con eses ollos pequenos'.

'Olliño' and 'ollo pequeno' are rarely synonyms. You can't tell someone 'small eye what you do' or 'don't look at me with those small eyes'.
Eu digo "coidado (ou coidadiño) co que fas" e "non me mires con eses ollos".
Sorry difficult to translate into English.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's quite unintuitive, but the first word means basically :

Kids walking to school ! (and implicitly, Look Out !)

Then :

Look out before crossing

Hello!
Apparently it means:
Wayrunners. Cross with caution.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Context, context, context. You need to know more than words if you want to translate well.
And why one should never trust machine translation for anything truly important. Google and DeepL are better than most, but I have seen Google add or remove a negative in Spanish/Italian to make the meaning opposite. And if it does the with languages that close to English, imagine what it might do with a language not from western Europe! But you don't have to imagine—a Chinese friend, female, had a baby and this is the message to her after Bing "translated" it:
Wine is the fragrance of the old, wine is the old wine
😍
Friends are the good old
😘

Recently, three friends who are my age have become a monk. Lin Zhixing has also been promoted. In addition to admiring his bravery, he has also worked up a cold sweat. #LinXing, who got married in 20 seconds, is among them. 33 million prepared children. A woman who knows how to overcome the freedom of slimming, and is alone. It is certainly a terrifying thing to stay with a helpless little life forever.
In the first week of the birth of my elder brother, I hope he still has any sense of motherhood, he jumped up and thought that he would have postpartum depression. Fortunately, the post-enzyme exploded. In the busyness of breastfeeding, I slowly felt the happiness and joy of my mother. But at the same time, working as a family is still the most difficult challenge for a child to face. The most honest and consistent advice of his life is the first year of the pregnancy and divorce period, you will know how great the potential of those stages is!!
I will comfort you the way a mother consoles her child. You too will take comfort in Jerusalem. Isaiah 66:13
Blessings to my friend, God preserve, and everything is safe and victorious!!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.