Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Translation wanted!

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra (Summer 2015); Levante-Invierno (Feb/Mar 2019);
England Camino routes ?2024
"si vienes a Castronuño verás un pueblo sencillo dónde no estás obligado más que a baílar el palillo"

Literally I translate this as "if you come to Castronuño you will see a simple village where you are not obliged to do more than to dance the toothpick"

Dance the toothpick? Is this some kind of strange idiom?

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Past OR future Camino
06,CF;13,CP;17,SSal;19,Ingles
"si vienes a Castronuño verás un pueblo sencillo dónde no estás obligado más que a baílar el palillo"

Literally I translate this as "if you come to Castronuño you will see a simple village where you are not obliged to do more than to dance the toothpick"

To be honest, it sounds to me similar to a sign before Najera where you are informed that in Najera, everyone belongs....

Past OR future Camino
To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
It did sound strange to me, too! I found this: https://pueblos.elnortedecastilla.e...ozos/el_bajo_duero/castronunno/castronuno.pdf where "El Palillo" is referenced as a real song/ dance.
I expected this to be some kind of traditional and fascinating folk dance but apparently it is a kind of mass dance with simple steps during their fiesta and the tradition is only 40 years old. I can't figure out why "Palillo", other than it's the title of the song?

There are also video clips of people dancing in a kind of loose procession on Youtube. Search for bajada del palillo.

kdespot

Past OR future Camino
Francés SJPP-SdC Sept-Oct 2016
Mi amiga madrileña had no clue what it means so it's a regional expression... or even used in just that town.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Past OR future Camino
Frances Part of (2018)
Primitivo (2019)
Finistere (2019)

It maybe means that you must have meal in the town. Just a thought.

Past OR future Camino
To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
@Donna Sch, did you manage to ask someone from the area about "El palillo" and got an answer? The word doesn't mean toothpick in this context, does it? Still can't figure out whether it denotes the title of a folk song or dance steps.

Last edited:

Kevin Malinak

-kevin-
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, St Jean PdP, March 18 (2018)
My translater showed it as "shake" the toothpick...
Maybe it's just saying to just relax after you get your meal (while you're cleaning your teeth with a toothpick)???

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads