• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Translator App for smart phones

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Well I never! I recently moved from an £18 button phone to a basic smart phone as it was a last year model and only £39 from my provider ... now, I have rather been against using phones on the Camino - and I still am, except for emergency use, as I feel that by talking to people at home one is no longer in the experience .. but there you go ..

But a phone as a tool?

I have just installed the Google Translator app into it and it is utterly stunning!

I choose 'English - Spanish' and speak a sentence into it and the phone then speaks back in Spanish! And you don't have to be connected to the internet for it to work.

Now, although I do speak French and a little German I have found it impossible (too old I think, or too lazy) to retain Spanish - but now I can get the person to speak into my phone and hear what they are saying in English - and vice-versa.

Science fiction or what! And the app is free - result!!!

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can also type or have the person type sentences in.

If you want to ask someone a complicated question it's easier to type it in before hand and then show them the translation

Ah - so people know about this, and there is me, thinking I have invented the wheel!

True, but typing is so last century (I'm told!) - for me it is the ability to speak into the machine that is so wonderful - and easy! - and it is possible that the Spanish person doesn't know how to type - or even write or read, I have met a few peasants who cannot read. ;)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I guess I might have issues here in Andalucia getting a translation from a local spaniard speaking into the transłater. The dialect here is so strong and they miss many letters from the middle of words. Could get myself into interesting situations!

I came across this app this year on the VDLP when I went to a Podogogo (Spanish for a podiatrist) who could not speak a word of English and my Spanish was not up to describing my medical condition. I would speak into her smartphone and the Spanish written words would appear on the screen, and when she spoke I could read in English what she had said. What was more amazing was that the translations were into colloquial English. I couldn't get over it and told everyone I met about this amazing app.

I downloaded it yesterday after reading your post David but my version doesn't work offline, you must have wifi, I have the Samsung S3. :(
Great app though.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You need an internet connection not necessarily WiFI.

The various smartphone pay as you go offered are more then good enough. Many are under €20 a month including voice and SMS. So if you have an unlocked phone getting a Spanish SIM will give you what is needed.

Of course this assumes you have a signal.

I downloaded it yesterday after reading your post David but my version doesn't work offline, you must have wifi, I have the Samsung S3. :(
Great app though.

Oh - I just tried mine and it works fine. Not wi-fi connected but I do have a signal (G3). Will try to find somewhere with no signal - pretty tricky - and check it again. I have the Alcatel S pop on EE/Orange in the uk.

Update, I downloaded the app to my Samsung tab 10.1 and the blurb in Google Play says "Translate offline while travelling, no internet connection needed." What you have to do is download a Language package for it to work offline. The details are in the "visit the Web Page" in Google Play where you got the app.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well I never! I recently moved from an £18 button phone to a basic smart phone as it was a last year model and only £39 from my provider ... now, I have rather been against using phones on the Camino - and I still am, except for emergency use, as I feel that by talking to people at home one is no longer in the experience .. but there you go ..

But a phone as a tool?

I have just installed the Google Translator app into it and it is utterly stunning!

I choose 'English - Spanish' and speak a sentence into it and the phone then speaks back in Spanish! And you don't have to be connected to the internet for it to work.

Now, although I do speak French and a little German I have found it impossible (too old I think, or too lazy) to retain Spanish - but now I can get the person to speak into my phone and hear what they are saying in English - and vice-versa.

Science fiction or what! And the app is free - result!!!

Buen Camino!
A smart phone is an amazing and very light-weight tool ... translator, computer, telephone, GPS, camera, flashlight, reader, etc.). If your phone is not locked to a carrier you can buy a local sim card (15-25 Euro for a month of service with a reasonable amount of data) for whatever country you are in and you are good to go. Having a phone with a removable battery is useful feature so you can carry a spare charged battery to pop in if necessary (and on a long day you might need it). Put in the fresh battery, leave the other to charge overnight so you have it ready for the next day. Enjoy ...

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.