• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport between Villafranca del Bierzo and Tricastela

John Lunde

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017 Santiago
Arles 2018 planned
I will be need to leave the Camino on April 14 or 15 at or near Tricastela to return to Leon. I will return to the Camino where I left off several days later. Buses between Villafranca and Leon are not an issue but what is the best transportation between the bus stop in Villafranca and Tricastela?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Alsa company between Villafranca and Piedrafita do Cebreiro .
Monbus http://www.monbus.es between Piedrafita do Cebreiro and Triacastela; not in Sundays, just one run, leaves Triacastela 18:43; leaves Piedrafita very early (06:45). Or taxi. Or walk.

The Monbus bus operates from Sarria to Piedrafita do Cebreiro once in each direction. Lv Piedrafita in the AM and Sarria in the PM.

So, depending on your schedule ... it might work out better to take the ALSA bus from Villafranca (or Ponferrada where it originates) to Lugo, Monbus from Lugo to Sarria, and Monbus from Sarria to Triacastela.

The other bus company is Autobuses Gonzalez de la Riva. They have a schedule from Ponferrada to Vega de Valcarce (with stop at Villafranca). You can arrange (in advance only) to go from Vega de la Valcarce to las Herrias and la Faba ... close to but not quite O Cebreiro.
http://gonzalezdelariva.es/index.html

Note ALSA calls it Pedrafita do Cebreiro while Monbus calls it Piedrafita do Cebreiro. Accept no substitutes; there are villages with similar names in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for your help. If I have to take a "taxi" how would I contact one and what is the general range of cost? Of course I can always wait and just ask those in the area when I am there. In a way I am walking this section in my mind before I get there. It seems anticipation is half the experience.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back