• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport Biarritz to St Jean

Sandra Hembling

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
Hi All

I arrive in Biarritz on Monday 29th August 17.05. I have accommodation in St Jean for the evening but am concerned about the time it will take to travel from the airport to the train station in Bayonne in order to catch the train departing at 18.06. There are several transport options: bus, train, taxi and I may well take a taxi to save time. Has anyone any knowledge of the time it takes to reach the station from the airport?

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bus 64 from the Biarritz airport to Bayonne Gare ( rr station) takes roughly half an hour.

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Adding to mspath info, Biarritz airport is very small and any checked luggage is quickly retrieved. If there is a delay you can take a taxi to Bayonne Gare

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For comfort of mind, plan to take a taxi. You will get there in plenty of time, and the fare from the airport to the train station is modest.

You can see bus schedules here Note that locally it is not Biarritz', but "Anglet Aeroport" (this is the village where it is placed).
I think yout times are too tight for the bus -but I am rather skittish traveller.
Don't forget to "composter" or validate your ticket in the little yellow machines at the station.

Although the airport is small it can often take some minutes to clear passport control - all the more reason for sharing a taxi with others also aiming for the train to SJPP

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
With 1705 arrival there is likely no way to get from Biarritz airport in time to catch the 1806 train at Bayonne. You could try it on the basis that sometimes the 1806 train leaves late. It waits for the train from Paris.

1705 arrival means the time the plane touches the runway ... and planes in my experience almost never arrive on time. You still have to get off the plane and go through passport control. Allow 30 minutes.

Your options:

-Chronoplus bus #14 goes from Biarritz (Anglet) airport to Gare Bayonne. There is a bus leaving 1721 29 Aug 2016 arriving at 1800.

- take taxi to Gare Bayonne ... allow at least 25 minutes.

- take taxi to Gare Biarritz to catch 1745 train to Bayonne arriving 1755. You should be in the taxi by 1730.

- take taxi to Cambo les Bains to intercept the 1834 train to SJPdP.

- stay in Bayonne and catch the 0745 train in the AM.

- Express Bourricot is private hire taxi that caters to Pilgrims. Shared with others, this is an economical option ... if there is availability.

- pay expensive taxi fare to SJPdP.

SNCF trains
http://www.sncf.com/

Chronoplus
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Express Bourricot
http://www.expressbourricot.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
With 1705 arrival there is likely no way to get from Biarritz airport in time to catch the 1806 train at Bayonne. You could try it on the basis that sometimes the 1806 train leaves late. It waits for the train from Paris.

1705 arrival means the time the plane touches the runway ... and planes in my experience almost never arrive on time. You still have to get off the plane and go through passport control. Allow 30 minutes.

Your options:

- take taxi to Gare Bayonne ... allow at least 25 minutes.

- take taxi to Gare Biarritz to catch 1745 train to Bayonne arriving 1755. You still need to be in the taxi by 1730 ... an unlikely event.

- take taxi to Cambo les Bains to intercept the train to SJPdP. You need to be there by 1834. You might make that.

- stay in Bayonne and catch the 0745 train in the AM.

- Express Bourricot is private hire taxi that caters to Pilgrims. Shared with others, this is an economical option ... if there is availability.

- pay expensive taxi fare to SJPdP.

Chronoplus bus #14 goes from Biarritz (Anglet) airport to Gare Bayonne. Trip time is approximately 40 minutes and runs approximately every 30 minutes. There is no bus leaving after 1700 that you can catch that will get you to Gare Bayonne in time to catch 1806 train.

SNCF trains
http://www.sncf.com/

Chronoplus
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Express Bourricot
http://www.expressbourricot.com/
Hi All

I arrive in Biarritz on Monday 29th August 17.05. I have accommodation in St Jean for the evening but am concerned about the time it will take to travel from the airport to the train station in Bayonne in order to catch the train departing at 18.06. There are several transport options: bus, train, taxi and I may well take a taxi to save time. Has anyone any knowledge of the time it takes to reach the station from the airport?

Thanks
Hi All

Thanks
Hi All

Thanks
Hi All

Thanks
Hi All

Thanks
The express bouricate

Hi All

Thanks
Express Buorricate does a shared service for groups and is 19euro each for 4+. They usually have lots of passengers and will have you in St Jean in 1 hour. I have used the bus and train and walk to town and it all takes tedious timing and similar cost. Look aup their site. Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Or, cancel your SJPP accommodation, take the bus from Biarritz to Bayonne and walk from Bayonne to SJPP. It's apparently a well marked route and you will have your legs already warmed up for when you hit the Pyrenees!

Express Buorricate does a shared service for groups and is 19euro each for 4+. They usually have lots of passengers and will have you in St Jean in 1 hour. I have used the bus and train and walk to town and it all takes tedious timing and similar cost. Look aup their site. Buen Camino

That useful taxi service is Express Bourricot. Here is their web.
http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/

Where are you starting out from? Do you anticipate jet lag? I realize you may be pressed for time, but taking a day in Biarritz or Bayonne to adjust may be to your advantage.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi All

Thanks

Hoped you had a night in the old part of Bayonne.
Wonderful stop for jet lag.
Cross the bridge , coffee and early train.
Register , walk to Orrison , taxi back to StJpP , good nights sleep and next day restart from where you left off.

Exactly what I did. The service was good value. Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Or, cancel your SJPP accommodation, take the bus from Biarritz to Bayonne and walk from Bayonne to SJPP. It's apparently a well marked route and you will have your legs already warmed up for when you hit the Pyrenees!
How long is the walk?

Hoped you had a night in the old part of Bayonne.
Wonderful stop for jet lag.
Cross the bridge , coffee and early train.
Register , walk to Orrison , taxi back to StJpP , good nights sleep and next day restart from where you left off.
You recommend taxiing back & forth rather than staying in Orisson overnight?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You recommend taxiing back & forth rather than staying in Orisson overnight?

Only 40 people stay any night .
Its not long to Orisson or even a bit further where taxis can get you .
The hard part is downhill and the distance is still 27 km [ allow 30km for downhill section ]
We have been over 4 times and this way was great as we arrived in StJpP mid afternoon after walking the GR65 from Le Puy.
We had a good pension booked and we were 8 hours early for dinner......so off we went.
We also really enjoy Burgette , 4 km after Ronscavalles.
Buen Camino in 17 and remember to start slowly , the rest falls into place.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back