• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport fr SCQ to Sarria

Time of past OR future Camino
Going for Camino walk this Nov.
Hello, I will arrive SCQ Airport 5pm on Sat 19 Nov 2022. Is that any train or affordable public transport that could bring me to Sarria on the same day? Or do I need to overnight at Santiago and take public transport next morning? Or do you suggest me to take taxi to Sarria fr Santiago Airport? Do you know how much and if it is safe? Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Use Rome2Rio. Buses are good and not that expensive. Cheaper than a taxi travelling 100K distance.

Monbus has a once daily bus leaving from Santiago to Sarria at 11AM and will pass by the airport. So you’ll have to stay overnight and get the bus the next day. The airport is in Lavacolla, it’s on the Camino route, and the 11AM bus also stops there. there are good hotels/pensions for very affordable price. Lots of places in Santiago too, off season they’re much cheaper.

Also, as it’s the weekend, the buses do sell out quickly! As used by locals/students etc. Do check now… otherwise it’ll be an expensive taxi, or try blabla car.

Edit: just had a quick look, Sunday 11AM bus still available, stops at the airport 11.09. From Santiago there is a bus at 1830 to Lugo that then can transfer to Sarria but you’ll have to take it from Santiago (doesn’t go to the airport). Might be rushing it if your flight arrives at 5PM.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Monbus has a once daily bus leaving from Santiago to Sarria at 11AM and will pass by the airport. So you’ll have to stay overnight and get the bus the next day. The airport is in Lavacolla, it’s on the Camino route, and the 11AM bus also stops there. there are good hotels/pensions for very affordable price. Lots of places in Santiago too, off season they’re much cheaper.

Also, as it’s the weekend, the buses do sell out quickly! As used by locals/students etc. Do check now… otherwise it’ll be an expensive taxi, or try blabla car.

Edit: just had a quick look, Sunday 11AM bus still available, stops at the airport 11.09. From Santiago there is a bus at 1830 to Lugo that then can transfer to Sarria but you’ll have to take it from Santiago (doesn’t go to the airport). Might be rushing it if your flight arrives at 5PM.
Thank you. I can find bus ticket for Sunday 20 Nov 2022 from airport Lavacolla de Santiago to Sarria at 11.09am. Do you suggest this? Or do you suggest me to take taxi on Saturday 19 Nov 2022 5pm so I can reach Sarria early? Do you roughly know the price of private transport by taxi and if it is safe? Thanks. Is that convenient to take taxi from airport to Santiago to catch the 1830 bus to Lugo ? Thanks. From Lugo do I take taxi to Sarria? I am someone who is not so good with directions and often get lost. But I wanted to attempt this camino walk alone on backpack for self reflection. Thanks.

Thank you. I can find bus ticket for Sunday 20 Nov 2022 from airport Lavacolla de Santiago to Sarria at 11.09am. Do you suggest this? Or do you suggest me to take taxi on Saturday 19 Nov 2022 5pm so I can reach Sarria early? Do you roughly know the price of private transport by taxi and if it is safe? Thanks. Is that convenient to take taxi from airport to Santiago to catch the 1830 bus to Lugo ? Thanks. From Lugo do I take taxi to Sarria? I am someone who is not so good with directions and often get lost. But I wanted to attempt this camino walk alone on backpack for self reflection. Thanks.

I think if you want to catch the 1830 bus on Saturday you may end up rushing/stressing yourself if there is delay with your flight, long immigration queue, waiting for luggage to come out… but if you do choose this bus, in Lugo you take another bus to Sarria, will get there at 2115 or so. The bus station in Sarria is at the end of town near a big Eroski supermarket. There is a Pension right next to the bus station, or most pilgrims hang out about 10-15min walk towards the church/old town.

Or if you stay overnight in Santiago or the airport/Lavacolla, the 1100 bus will arrive at 1306, so hopefully will still give you some daylight to see the town and get ready to start your Camino.

The towns and villages on the Camino are generally safe, I never feel unsafe walking alone at night. I don’t think there should be a problem with taxis either, airport taxis should be fine and if using taxis at other towns I would ask the albergues for their recommendation - in small places everybody knows everyone! Taxis generally cost about €1/KM.

I think if you want to catch the 1830 bus on Saturday you may end up rushing/stressing yourself if there is delay with your flight, long immigration queue, waiting for luggage to come out… but if you do choose this bus, in Lugo you take another bus to Sarria, will get there at 2115 or so. The bus station in Sarria is at the end of town near a big Eroski supermarket. There is a Pension right next to the bus station, or most pilgrims hang out about 10-15min walk towards the church/old town.

Or if you stay overnight in Santiago or the airport/Lavacolla, the 1100 bus will arrive at 1306, so hopefully will still give you some daylight to see the town and get ready to start your Camino.

The towns and villages on the Camino are generally safe, I never feel unsafe walking alone at night. I don’t think there should be a problem with taxis either, airport taxis should be fine and if using taxis at other towns I would ask the albergues for their recommendation - in small places everybody knows everyone! Taxis generally cost about €1/KM.
Thank you. I think I will just stay near airport and get on the bus the next day. Thanks. Any suggestion where should I stay near airport and also sarria? Thanks. I have not booked any hostel. I am on backpacking but do not mind to pay more for nice place that is worth it. I am on the last 100km of Camino Frances and Camino Finister. Since the bus is 11am. Do you suggest me to go anywhere in the morning. Or just stay in the accommodation near airport and wait for the bus? Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a small square with 2 cafes and a church in Lavacolla, and usually on Sundays there is a volunteer who would open the church and you can get a stamp (usually on the Camino you walk past many small churches but most of the time they’re closed).

I stayed in Hotel Ruta Jacobea before and the meals were amazing! They’re on booking.com, maybe ask if your bus passes the street in front of the hotel.

Can I ask if foreigners can buy local sim card in Spain? Is that convenient? Because in some countries these are not allowed. Thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I believe you need to show your passport in order to get and activate a Spanish Sim card. You can buy one in almost any major city and also sometimes at the airport if there is a vendor.

I believe you need to show your passport in order to get and activate a Spanish Sim card. You can buy one in almost any major city and also sometimes at the airport if there is a vendor.
Since you will be arriving on a weekend, you might not be able to buy one until Monday. I think Sarria will be a big enough city to buy one on a Monday. I can see a MoviStar store in Sarria on the map. There may be other brands. Here is the link to the address.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks. It seems not easy and quite complicated to get a local sim card that I need to superficially visit the phone store and visit during working hours. Maybe I will just use roaming fr my country. It cost eur30 for 2 GB. In the country where I stay, Singapore, you can get local sim card easily in any convenient store that open on weekends too. Thanks.

Yes, might be easier if you will only be in Spain for a short period of time. The cost sounds reasonable for the convenience, too.

Hello, I will arrive SCQ Airport 5pm on Sat 19 Nov 2022. Is that any train or affordable public transport that could bring me to Sarria on the same day? Or do I need to overnight at Santiago and take public transport next morning? Or do you suggest me to take taxi to Sarria fr Santiago Airport? Do you know how much and if it is safe? Thanks.
Instead of going to Santiago on arrival, stay the night on Lavacolla and book a bus ticket to take you to Sarria for the next day ... as simple as that :) The one-way bus ticket may cost you 3.5 euros at most

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I took Monbus last week from Santiago to Sarria, and the fare was 10 Euros. From the airport would be just about the same.

Thank you. I think I will just stay near airport and get on the bus the next day. Thanks. Any suggestion where should I stay near airport and also sarria? Thanks. I have not booked any hostel. I am on backpacking but do not mind to pay more for nice place that is worth it. I am on the last 100km of Camino Frances and Camino Finister. Since the bus is 11am. Do you suggest me to go anywhere in the morning. Or just stay in the accommodation near airport and wait for the bus? Thanks.
I would suggest you stay in Sarria Centro instead of Vigo de Sarria (nice but not the same vibe). Hopefully you have gotten the Camino de Santiago book by John Brierley. That will show you a map, and details of MANY options. I believe that when I went, I stayed near the Plaza (on the map) and found it to be a great location.

Thanks. It seems not easy and quite complicated to get a local sim card that I need to superficially visit the phone store....
It is really, really easy. Very inexpensive with 15 euro/28 day plans (with tons of internet and no contract). I have used Vodafone multiple times in remote parts of Spain with great connection.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I got a Vodafone sim with 25GB of data last week for €10. Yes, it takes a few minutes and you have to show your passport. I tried 2 Movistar stores and they both said they didn't have any pre-pay sims.

IMG_20221120_104510.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is the correct bus stop. In front of Garcas hotel. The local really do not know where this bus stop. Even the accommodation I stay, other hotels nearby they all do not know about this bus stop. Anyway, I missed the bus. I have to take private taxi to Sarria. Sharing here so that others don't make same mistakes with me.

Attachments

• IMG_20221120_112612.jpg
    IMG_20221120_112612.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back