• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport from Alto de Perdon

Gabi Wehler

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino Frances mid May 2018
Am planning to start the Camino from Pamplona on May 21. According to Brierly and a friend who walked the Camino, the descend from the Alto de Perdon is very challenging, and can be dangerous. As I had trouble with both knees I can’t afford a single slip. That would be the end of the Camino at the start. I’d like to walk up to the Alto de Perdon though to get the view. Is there a possibility to get / book a taxi from the top to next village at a lower level or town?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Am planning to start the Camino from Pamplona on May 21. According to Brierly and a friend who walked the Camino, the descend from the Alto de Perdon is very challenging, and can be dangerous. As I had trouble with both knees I can’t afford a single slip. That would be the end of the Camino at the start. I’d like to walk up to the Alto de Perdon though to get the view. Is there a possibility to get / book a taxi from the top to next village at a lower level or town?
There's a simple walk-around which takes 2 sides of a triangle, on quiet roads. You arrive at Uterga. If this appeals, PM me and I'll give details.

Alto del Perdon is not the only area that can make you worse, O Cebreiro, where it climbs - and descends - from 1400 meters altitude (that's if you go to Santiago). You have to think well!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There's a simple walk-around which takes 2 sides of a triangle, on quiet roads. You arrive at Uterga. If this appeals, PM me and I'll give details.
This looks like you take NA-6056 downhill (west) to NA-1110 south to NA-6016 south to Uterga, correct?

This interactive map can show the way. At the top right is a pulldown to get various maps and satellite photos. If you use one of Google's views you can drag the yellow man figure to use Google's Street View.

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=42.735718,-1.742495&z=16&t=h

Get a taxi company phone number as you pass through Cizur Menor, and give them a call when you get to the top. As an alternative, you can summon a taxi from Puente la Reina if you have their number.

http://taxipuente.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have very bad knees and did it in May with no problem at 68. Slow and steady and criss cross the path. The day I was up there there were cabs sitting up there to give rides down. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Personally, I don't think it's as bad as people say.
I have bad knees and do it just fine.
The biggest issue is that it's rocky and you need to watch your feet, and the ground, rather than the scenery.

That said, there are almost always taxis up there waiting.
Or you can take the phone number of a taxi and call from the top.
I would suggest you SEE it before deciding.

The area people complain about is very short - less than 1k - and isn't so much steep as it is rocky.

It has been improved in the last two years but is still tricky at points. The road route down is longer but probably as quick. If you want a taxi, try calling +34 948591485 in advance. They are based in Cizur Mayor and maybe willing to pickup at Alto de Perdon and take you to Uterga.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hanks. That might be another option to consider. Will decide once on top. Would be good to have to have a plan b.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Alto del Perdon is not the only area that can make you worse, O Cebreiro, where it climbs - and descends - from 1400 meters altitude (that's if you go to Santiago). You have to think well!
Yes. Thanks. Am aware of that one. Made notes in my book from where to where I’ll bus/taxi. I want to enjoy the Camino, not seeing this as a punishment.

Many thanks. Would appreciate that. Gives me another option.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back