• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport from Bayonne Train Station to St Jean Pied de Port 30 September

NotForTurning

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France 2018
Hi All

I am arriving by TGV in Bayonne a little before 4pm on Sunday 30 September. Earlier this month I contacted Express Bouricot and the said they could send a shuttle there but advised they had no-one else booked from there. This week I checked in to confirm the arrangement and they said they "don't have this availability anymore".

There is a late train from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port that arrives at StJPdP at 10.20pm that will not make for a relaxing first day on the Camino :)

Are there any suggestions on an earlier way to get to SJPdP from Bayonne? If other people are arriving at Bayonne on the 30th we could get together and split the fare in a taxi?

Thanks!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Take a break in Bayonne for the night.

I have stayed in Hotel Basque. Right across the square from the train station.
Then caught the first train (or bus if train is not running that day) to SJPDP.

Bayonne is nice place. Walk in the old section.

Hi All

I am arriving by TGV in Bayonne a little before 4pm on Sunday 30 September. Earlier this month I contacted Express Bouricot and the said they could send a shuttle there but advised they had no-one else booked from there. This week I checked in to confirm the arrangement and they said they "don't have this availability anymore".

There is a late train from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port that arrives at StJPdP at 10.20pm that will not make for a relaxing first day on the Camino :)

Are there any suggestions on an earlier way to get to SJPdP from Bayonne? If other people are arriving at Bayonne on the 30th we could get together and split the fare in a taxi?

Thanks!
Hola!

You obviously did your itinerary homework. But just one question. What's the hurry? I don't know where are you coming from but maybe you will be jetlagged. Why not stay that afternoon in nice Bayonne (or much more touristy Biarritz), catch the first morning train on the Oct 1st and start your walk?

Otherwise I agree taxi share would be an option. Or maybe BlaBlaCar.

Buen Camino!

EDIT: Obviously composing post the same time as above poster but mine has to be approved by moderators ;))

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There is a late train from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port that arrives at StJPdP at 10.20pm that will not make for a relaxing first day on the Camino
There is not a lot "relaxing" about the Camino!:):)

Take the late train, and have the Pilgrim Office put you in its gite. Start the next day, and head for Roncevaux. Stop in Hounto or Orisson if you need to on the Napolean route. Valcarlos splits the distance to Roncevaux a bit better, so go that route if you are fairly certain you want to go only half way. I would not worry about relaxing. You have a month of exhausted evenings to do that...

Thanks all for the answers! Mulling over a night in Bayonne instead of pushing through because one night in four or so weeks really isn't much. Looking forward to my first Camino :)
Hotel de la gare makes special price for pilgrims. You have to say that you are a pilgrims to Santiago

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Monasp!

On a slightly different topic, is there any place open to eat at in Bayonne between 4pm and 9.30ish? Grocery stores are all supposed to be closed on a Sunday, but a frittata would be great!

Thanks Monasp!

On a slightly different topic, is there any place open to eat at in Bayonne between 4pm and 9.30ish? Grocery stores are all supposed to be closed on a Sunday, but a frittata would be great!
The closest to train station and across the street is Hotel Monte Carlo which also has restaurant. I don't know about their opening hours though but I think they work 24/7. To the right was also something like a Kebab joint.
But if you'll go over the river to the old town I'm sure you'll find something opened even on Sunday.

I also remember there was and African store in the street to the left as you exit the train station. Both times I was there it was opened non-stop :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, there will be places to eat. Also the smaller stores should be open. Talking about the mom and pop type of stores. The larger stores and market will be closed.

The three times I have been to Bayonne I ate at a restaurant ... sorry forgot name but can give directions...
It is on the street: Quai de l’Amiral Dubourdieu

From the Gare de Bayonne, cross two bridges. After the second bridge turn left. You will be walking along the river to your left then. The Road you use to cross the two bridges is D810.

Once you are on the street I named above, you will see a outside canopy for eating. Walk down the street about 100 meters or so.

The place is small. Can eat inside if desire. Food is WONDERFUL! Price is good. Service is EXCELLENT.
Give it a try. I am sure you will like it.

Look for these directions on your map program. Actually very easy to find. Walking distance (easy) from the train station.

There are numerous stores. Ask locals, or hotel staff, where one is.

Hotel Basque is across the street from the train station. Has breakfast. Not a bad price.

Be careful if walking the streets on Bayonne at night. Especially around the train station area.

You will be fine.

Take a break that first night. Get early start the next morning riding the train (or bus if the train is not running that day). You will be much better off.

I know a coffee cafe in Bayonne. Most love it there. I will look for the name of the street and post it later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back