• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport from either Pamplona or San Sebastian airport to Saint Jean pied de Port

Liggy

Time of past OR future Camino
Future, Camino Frances (Oct 2021)
Hola, any members have any good info re above, it will be Oct 2021, so not sure if some transport services close for winter? Train preferred, but bus also. Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You will find choices, but here is what I would do.......

Fly into San Sebastion airport, its actually in Irun on the French border, which, incidentally, is actually the start for Camino Norte. Your Camino starts at the baggage claim. You can walk from the airport into Irun, and across the border to the Hendaye TGV Station, where you can catch a train. Its also possible to catch the Feve train from Irun to Hendaye, but why bother when the walk through town is short and scenic. The walk is about 90 minutes or so, I've done it. From the Hendaye station, catch a train north to Bayonne, I think its two or three stops, then get off and transfer to the TER train for the one hour trip from Bayonne to SJPP.

A more intrepid pilgrim could walk the whole way in three days, but I'm not that intrepid.

Buen Camino

You will find choices, but here is what I would do.......

Fly into San Sebastion airport, its actually in Irun on the French border, which, incidentally, is actually the start for Camino Norte. Your Camino starts at the baggage claim. You can walk from the airport into Irun, and across the border to the Hendaye TGV Station, where you can catch a train. Its also possible to catch the Feve train from Irun to Hendaye, but why bother when the walk through town is short and scenic. The walk is about 90 minutes or so, I've done it. From the Hendaye station, catch a train north to Bayonne, I think its two or three stops, then get off and transfer to the TER train for the one hour trip from Bayonne to SJPP.

A more intrepid pilgrim could walk the whole way in three days, but I'm not that intrepid.

Buen Camino
Thank you, that great advice. I was a bit concerned that the trains perhaps stopped in the winter months,, as when searching on line, it says none available, but i think that's because im searching too far ahead (next October). Thanks again.

I took high speed rail to Pamplona from Madrid when I flew in from JFK ---NY City
IMG_0385.jpg
The first stage on the French Camino is extremely hard- ascending the Pyreness Mountains.
It is not only long to Roncesvalles 25 km --but the steepest climb on the entire Camino - it kills most folks
It is a 1,000 meter climb -that is like walking up the stairs of a 70 floor building (14 feet per floor)
When was the last time you even walked up 10 flights in a building?

My advice is to take the 3 pm bus from Pamplona ---to the top of the Pyrenees and start in Roncesvalles.
Is is just like 50 minutes.

You will only miss one stage of the entire 33 - that is if you follow the Brieley guide book - which I do not really follow the stops --- no--- it is great guide book - maps are terrific - Just do not follow the "official" stages like all the other crowds. Stay in the lest traveled places between the traditional stops.

For train and bus info----- go to https://www.rome2rio.com/

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took high speed rail to Pamplona from Madrid when I flew in from JFK ---NY City
View attachment 88068
The first stage on the French Camino is extremely hard- ascending the Pyreness Mountains.
It is not only long to Roncesvalles 25 km --but the steepest climb on the entire Camino - it kills most folks
It is a 1,000 meter climb -that is like walking up the stairs of a 70 floor building (14 feet per floor)
When was the last time you even walked up 10 flights in a building?

My advice is to take the 3 pm bus from Pamplona ---to the top of the Pyrenees and start in Roncesvalles.
Is is just like 50 minutes.

You will only miss one stage of the entire 33 - that if you follow the Brieley guide book - which I do not really recommed - no--- it is great guide book - maps are terrific - Just do not follow the "official" stages like all the other crowds. Stay in the lest traveled places between the traditional stops.

For train and bus info----- go to https://www.rome2rio.com/
Thats so kind of you to reoly, but I'm a stubborn girl, and want to do the whole thing. I'm lucky that i live in southern Spain, so have several options. Thank you so much.

ALSA/CONDA to St. Jean Pied de Port
The bus service between Pamplona to St. Jean Pied de Port is provided by CONDA, a bus company serving Navarra.

You may see in various place on the web that ALSA is the bus line serving Pamplona to St. Jean and in other places that CONDA is the provider of this service. CONDA is partially owned by ALSA, a larger Spanish bus company (which, in turn, is a subsidiary of the UK company National Express). So whether the bus line is called ALSA or CONDA you get the same schedule, fare and service.

There is daily service from Pamplona to St. Jean when in season and no service at all during the winter months (daily includes Sundays and holidays.) For 2018 the season of service was from March 3 to October 21. During the season extra trips are added and removed depending on historical demand.

The trip takes one hour and 45 minutes and costs 22€.

Roughly the ALSA/CONDA schedule has been:

Jan No service
Feb No service
Mar 14:30
Apr 14:30 17:30
May 14:30 17:30
Jun 10:00 14:30 17:30
Jul 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
Aug 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
Sep 10:00 14:30 17:30
Oct 14:30 17:30
Nov No service
Dec No service
The ALSA website in English is at URL https://www.ALSA.es/en/ and the CONDA schedules are incorporated there. Besides getting the schedule CONDA tickets can be bought online ahead of time from the ALSA website as well.

Note 1: When using the ALSA website to book transportation to St. Jean Pied de Port you must spell out St. in full as Saint or the town will not be found.

Note 2: ALSA does not load its full schedule into the website all at once. I think they publish the schedule only for the next two months. This means that if you try to book a trip through the website for a date later in the year (e.g., trying to book an October 2019 trip in July 2019) the schedule may not be found. This also means that during the winter months the website will make it look as if there is no service at all.

Note 3: ALSA may refuse to accept non-Spanish issued credit cards. In that case the tickets can be paid for using PayPal. Alternatively they could be bought from a reseller.
Note 4: CONDA has a webpage with a schedule. Do not trust this schedule. The last time I checked it had the 2015 schedule. When the webpage is served up it is labelled at the bottom with the date that the webpage was served (not the creation date or date of validity) thus making the information appear to be current. This page is at http://www.CONDA.es/eventos.php?tipo=3&id=438 See appendix xxx below.

Note 5: The ALSA/CONDA website can be used to buy a Pamplona to St. Jean ticket or a Roncevalles to St. Jean ticket but you cannot buy a ticket for just the Pamplona to Roncevalles portion of the trip. The Artieda bus company has the license for that.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thats so kind of you to reoly, but I'm a stubborn girl, and want to do the whole thing. I'm lucky that i live in southern Spain, so have several options. Thank you so much.

Of course you can do that! In fact most people I know ( young and older, fit or less fit ) walked from Saint-Jean to Roncesvalles in one go. Only a minority stops in Honto or Orisson!

Last edited:
The bus service between Pamplona to St. Jean Pied de Port is provided by CONDA, a bus company serving Navarra.

You may see in various place on the web that ALSA is the bus line serving Pamplona to St. Jean and in other places that CONDA is the provider of this service. CONDA is partially owned by ALSA, a larger Spanish bus company (which, in turn, is a subsidiary of the UK company National Express). So whether the bus line is called ALSA or CONDA you get the same schedule, fare and service.

There is daily service from Pamplona to St. Jean when in season and no service at all during the winter months (daily includes Sundays and holidays.) For 2018 the season of service was from March 3 to October 21. During the season extra trips are added and removed depending on historical demand.

Jan No service
Feb No service
Nov No service
Dec No service
The ALSA website in English is at URL https://www.ALSA.es/en/ and the CONDA schedules are incorporated there. Besides getting the schedule CONDA tickets can be bought online ahead of time from the ALSA website as well.

Note 1: When using the ALSA website to book transportation to St. Jean Pied de Port you must spell out St. in full as Saint or the town will not be found.

Note 2: ALSA does not load its full schedule into the website all at once. I think they publish the schedule only for the next two months. This means that if you try to book a trip through the website for a date later in the year (e.g., trying to book an October 2019 trip in July 2019) the schedule may not be found. This also means that during the winter months the website will make it look as if there is no service at all.

Note 3: ALSA may refuse to accept non-Spanish issued credit cards. In that case the tickets can be paid for using PayPal. Alternatively they could be bought from a reseller.
Note 4: CONDA has a webpage with a schedule. Do not trust this schedule. The last time I checked it had the 2015 schedule. When the webpage is served up it is labelled at the bottom with the date that the webpage was served (not the creation date or date of validity) thus making the information appear to be current. This page is at http://www.CONDA.es/eventos.php?tipo=3&id=438 See appendix xxx below.

Note 5: The ALSA/CONDA website can be used to buy a Pamplona to St. Jean ticket or a Roncevalles to St. Jean ticket but you cannot buy a ticket for just the Pamplona to Roncevalles portion of the trip. The Artieda bus company has the license for that.
Having some experience with ALSA myself you did a great job explaining ALSA and their website.

i think that's because im searching too far ahead (next October).

Exactly so. SNCF, the French rail operator, does not provide any schedules beyond about 90 days, and for some routes, even less. Rest assured, the main TGV line from Hendaye to points north runs year round, its one of the main lines, and there are many trains per day. The "Pilgrim Train" from Bayonne (its a local low speed "TER" service, walk up and buy a ticket) to SJPP also runs year round, but be aware, the tracks are frequently under repair, and when you look for the platform in the station, the people who work in the Bayonne station are experts at shuffling any confused people with backpacks out to the replacement bus in the parking lot.

If you prefer to go through Pamplona, you have received excellent (and thorough!) advice there as well. I have never used the bus service from Pamplona, but many pilgrims do.

On a personal note, I want to thank you for asking this question. I haven't really seen many questions like this on the forum since, well, you know. I feel as if we can all now dare to plan a Camino again. This is the first time in months that I have actually visualized the mechanics of getting to SJPP along with a cohort of hopeful, rather than fearful faces. It feels very, very good.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Exactly so. SNCF, the French rail operator, does not provide any schedules beyond about 90 days, and for some routes, even less. Rest assured, the main TGV line from Hendaye to points north runs year round, its one of the main lines, and there are many trains per day. The "Pilgrim Train" from Bayonne (its a local low speed "TER" service, walk up and buy a ticket) to SJPP also runs year round, but be aware, the tracks are frequently under repair, and when you look for the platform in the station, the people who work in the Bayonne station are experts at shuffling any confused people with backpacks out to the replacement bus in the parking lot.

If you prefer to go through Pamplona, you have received excellent (and thorough!) advice there as well. I have never used the bus service from Pamplona, but many pilgrims do.

On a personal note, I want to thank you for asking this question. I haven't really seen many questions like this on the forum since, well, you know. I feel as if we can all now dare to plan a Camino again. This is the first time in months that I have actually visualized the mechanics of getting to SJPP along with a cohort of hopeful, rather than fearful faces. It feels very, very good.

Buen Camino
Thank you so much for your advice, it has helped me so much.

Jan No service
Feb No service
Nov No service
Dec No service

Very helpful, thank you.

If you have the time and are comfortable walking alone a great option is just start walking in San Sebastian. There is an obscure but marked route connecting Bayonne and St Jean that you could walk in reverse. You would be in better shape to tackle that pesky hill but wouldn’t have all the help from other pilgrims when you are first starting your Camino. Another possible route is the GR 10 but it can be challenging. Two years ago in May I switched to the lower route because of “interesting weather”.
Gary

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you have the time and are comfortable walking alone a great option is just start walking in San Sebastian. There is an obscure but marked route connecting Bayonne and St Jean that you could walk in reverse. You would be in better shape to tackle that pesky hill but wouldn’t have all the help from other pilgrims when you are first starting your Camino. Another possible route is the GR 10 but it can be challenging. Two years ago in May I switched to the lower route because of “interesting weather”.
Gary
I did think about that, but, time is of essence for me (unpaid leave etc), so, its from SJPDP for me... I love a challenge, thanks for your response.

Many years ago I was picked up at Pamploma bus station by the following Pension, Corazon Puro (948 392 113) Euro 36, dinner, breakfast and pickup/drop off corazonpuro@corazonpurs.es www.corazonpuro.es. I stayed the night and in the morning they dropped off guests at SJPDP. It's closed at present but may be open again by the time you're wanting to walk your Camino. Cherie

Many years ago I was picked up at Pamploma bus station by the following Pension, Corazon Puro (948 392 113) Euro 36, dinner, breakfast and pickup/drop off corazonpuro@corazonpurs.es www.corazonpuro.es. I stayed the night and in the morning they dropped off guests at SJPDP. It's closed at present but may be open again by the time you're wanting to walk your Camino. Cherie
I also had a wonderful experience with them, but I really doubt that Istvan and Barbara will be returning to Corazon Puro. 😥
The building was rented by another party.
This post from 2017 has more information https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/corazon-puro-closing.45297/#post-476880

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I should have mentioned this earlier. If you are going in late October after the Conda service ends there is another bus line that will get you most of the way (you walk 8 km to SJPdP in reverse on the camino). PLM goes to Pekotxeta, Spain which is a village just across a small river from Argenuy, France.

Pamplona to Valcarlos and Arnéguy with PLM coaches

PLM Autocares has a Pamplona-Valcarlos-Arnéguy bus that runs all year with service on Tuesdays and Fridays (but not if a holiday.) The bus leaves Pamplona at 11:00 and is scheduled to arrive in Valcarlos at 12:30 and Arnéguy at 12:45.

The PLM homepage and the Pamplona to Arnéguy schedule are at:

PLM homepage: https://plmautocares.com/
Webpage with schedule: https://www.plmautocares.com/horarios/
PDF of schedule: https://plmautocares.com/Horarios_PLM.pdf
JPG of 2017 schedule: https://www.plmautocares.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Nuevos_Horarios_2017.jpg

I should have mentioned this earlier. If you are going in late October after the Conda service ends there is another bus line that will get you most of the way (you walk 8 km to SJPdP in reverse on the camino). PLM goes to Pekotxeta, Spain which is a village just across a small river from Argenuy, France.

Pamplona to Valcarlos and Arnéguy with PLM coaches

PLM Autocares has a Pamplona-Valcarlos-Arnéguy bus that runs all year with service on Tuesdays and Fridays (but not if a holiday.) The bus leaves Pamplona at 11:00 and is scheduled to arrive in Valcarlos at 12:30 and Arnéguy at 12:45.

The PLM homepage and the Pamplona to Arnéguy schedule are at:

PLM homepage: https://plmautocares.com/
Webpage with schedule: https://www.plmautocares.com/horarios/
PDF of schedule: https://plmautocares.com/Horarios_PLM.pdf
JPG of 2017 schedule: https://www.plmautocares.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Nuevos_Horarios_2017.jpg
Fantastic info, muchas gracias.

The other option is take high speed rail (220 km per hour) to Pamplona from Madrid -RENFRE

The take the 50 minute bus-from Pamplona--- 3pm that leaves each day to Roncesvalles.

Start at the top of the mountain!!!!! ----Stay at the former--- Monestary Real Colegitata de Roncesvalles at the top of the mountain..

It will lock you into the Catholic nature of the Camino - even if you don't practice- like I do not - more Zen approach

Particually in the winter--you do not want to walk up that mountain first day.

Then you do not have to do the killer 1,000 meters elevation up the Pyrenees Mountains. It is brutal--- especially your first day! Just missing the 1 stage of 33 - accodring to Brierely

Spent a day ot two in Pamplona= to recover from jet lag - get some sleep before you start.

Single room at Hotel Eslava is 38 Euros in Pamplona - get some rest from the long travel most of us make - Do not stay at crowed abergues every day - get a single room to sleep better like every other day/

I drove 3 hours to Portland Maine ---then long flight to JKF ----waited for hours in the Airports--- then 7 hour flight to Madrid - then four hour train to Pamplona. Did not sleep for 38 hours.

You really want to start walking he next day?

Go to Cafe Iruna on the famous Plaza del Castillo, in the old quarter of Pamplona.

All of Pamplona’s historic charm with its bricked roadways, small narrow cobbled streets built for horses, and stone buildings hundreds of years old is encapsulated in this cafe.

Café Iruna is spacious inside with arabesque pillars rising to a ceiling 30 feet high, and with enormous stained glass windows through which an abundant amount of Spanish sunlight spills in.

This café glitters with the gilded architectural detail so common to the nineteenth century.

Café Iruna was one of Hemingway’s favorite places in Pamplona, a city he visited every year from 1923 to 1927 for the Fiesta de San Fermin, the running of the bulls.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola, any members have any good info re above, it will be Oct 2021, so not sure if some transport services close for winter? Train preferred, but bus also. Thank you.
A cab from the Pamplona train station to SJPP is about 100 euros. You probably can find another Pilgrim or two to share the ride. They’ll be wearing backpacks, so you’ll recognize them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you, that great advice. I was a bit concerned that the trains perhaps stopped in the winter months,, as when searching on line, it says none available, but i think that's because im searching too far ahead (next October). Thanks again.
Yes, the TGV from Hendaye to Bayonne runs year round. Tracks are not usually hampered by any snowpack.
I did experience some problems in that area (I was going to Lourdes that year instead of SJPDP) when a river with proximity to the tracks overran its banks due to sudden snow pack melt. That was in 2013. The French train company arranged busses for all passengers to get to our final destination— no problems whatsoever.

Most Spanish we have encountered commenced in Spain , that’s Roncesvalles.
The whole thing starts in Paris, Le Puy , or from your front door..

When we got a sweater in SDC 13 yrs ago it never had StJPP on it , just the Spanish side 🤫

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back